What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Herbert, LAC (1 Viewer)

Things you thought you’d never say preseason:  wish I had started him vs the Bucs instead of Deshaun vs the Vikings

Made some rookie mistakes but looks great, really hope Lynn doesn't screw it up and put Taylor back in, excited to see more.

Adam Schefter tweet that Justin Herbert will be the Chargers starting QB going forward.

Herbert forced head coach Anthony Lynn's hand with excellent play over the past three weeks, posting a 72 percent completion rate, throwing five touchdowns to three interceptions, and going over 290 passing yards in each start. Lynn had hesitated to commit to the rookie after the Chargers' staff punctured Tyrod Taylor's lung with an injection and forced him to miss LA's Week 2 matchup against the Chiefs. Fantasy wise, Herbert has vaulted Keenan Allen into fringe WR1 territory, as Allen has a whopping 40 percent target share since Herbert took over. Hunter Henry has also seen a boost, getting nearly 18 percent of the team's targets with Herbert under center. Herbert is a top-end Week 5 streamer against the Saints. 

- Rotoword

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked him up yesterday.  I watched that Chargers game last week and he was really impressive.  With Ryans turd game Sunday, tempted to start him vs NO --

Am starting him over Foles and Watson. I'm waiting for defenses to adjust because that will happen this week or next and seeing how he responds. So my enthusiasm is tempered.

Justin Herbert completed 20-of-34 passes for 264 yards and four touchdowns in the Chargers' 30-27, Week 5 loss to the Saints Monday night.

Herbert was the best player on the field in this one, but the Chargers simply couldn't hang on to a 20-3 lead and eventually fell in overtime. Herbert was electric in the first half, going 9-of-13 for 109 yards and three touchdowns, but he lost Keenan Allen to a second-quarter back injury and was left with just Mike Williams and Hunter Henry. Williams caught four- and 64-yard scores, and Henry secured a red-zone touchdown of his own after Allen caught Herbert's first score from 17 yards away. The Allen touchdown throw was an incredible on-the-move bullet where Herbert escaped the rush. Henry's touchdown was a perfectly-placed out route. Herbert has been great since stepping in as the starter and has particularly excelled under pressure. Herbert will be a QB2 next week against the Jets.

Oct 12, 2020, 11:36 PM ET

0-4 to start his career, not good. 
Kid looks like an NFL QB, and a SF dynasty gem 
I love his game. Future is bright for the Chargers.

0-4 probably not his fault... tonight he made the plays to take a TD lead late, and the defense gave up a TD drive. Then he made the plays to get in FG range and got "doinked"

I can't figure out this star-crossed Chargers thing where they lead every game and lose close... is it coaching (they seem to go uber-conservative as soon as they've got a 10-pt lead), or if the injuries to key players are just too much to overcome... maybe both... maybe asking a rookie QB to take on too much... maybe all of the above?

He seems to have "it" though... can't wait to see experience allow the smarts to match the abilities. Should be fun to watch.

I was really wrong about him coming out of college. I assumed he would be the next in a long line of guys with elite physical tools and average college production to fail. It pains me to say as an LSU fan, but I think a good case could be made for him over Burrow in dynasty. To me the big question about Herbert was mental; if he has that part plus the elite arm, then he starts to even up with Burrow's advantages in accuracy and mental toughness. I feel like Burrow is on a clock with Cincy's offensive line. I know that lines can improve (or devolve) quickly, but they need to get it figured out before he gets killed. I trust the organizational support around Herbert a lot more.

Ditching Brees now that I got Herbert last week.

Cousins will be the bridge during the LAC bye that gets me to Herbert.

Love how this kid looks to fire deep first. And do so with extreme accuracy. Impressive. Upside on a weekly basis is there.

At what point do we stop saying he’s the best rookie QB and just start talking about him as one of the best QBs in the entire league? 
When he makes it through 16 games as the starter behind the "OL" telesco built and it hasn't beaten anything special out of him. Even if he had a good OL I'm afraid that he doesn't have great field awareness when it comes to protecting himself. He has a very bad habit of running TO the sideline, and then walking out of bounds inviting an extra hit on every run. 

Ever since RGIII came into the league I look at a QB and think about longevity. Unfortunately, when it comes to his own safety I think he's closer to the RGIII end of the spectrum than the Russell Wilson end of field awareness and realizing it's time to slide and/or just duck out of bounds BEFORE the defender gets to you. Maybe he'll change but I've just seen way too many young QB's never "get" that vital skill. It's one thing to get a beating INSIDE the pocket, or OUTSIDE the pocket but it seems to me he's set up to take a beating in both.

It's fun to watch him throw and run right now and I hope he stays healthy. Seems like he was a very highly thought of prospect except right before the draft oddly enough. This was a great QB draft. A lot of teams are going to be kicking themselves they didn't move up for Herbert/Tua.

When he makes it through 16 games as the starter behind the "OL" telesco built and it hasn't beaten anything special out of him. Even if he had a good OL I'm afraid that he doesn't have great field awareness when it comes to protecting himself. He has a very bad habit of running TO the sideline, and then walking out of bounds inviting an extra hit on every run. 

Ever since RGIII came into the league I look at a QB and think about longevity. Unfortunately, when it comes to his own safety I think he's closer to the RGIII end of the spectrum than the Russell Wilson end of field awareness and realizing it's time to slide and/or just duck out of bounds BEFORE the defender gets to you. Maybe he'll change but I've just seen way too many young QB's never "get" that vital skill. It's one thing to get a beating INSIDE the pocket, or OUTSIDE the pocket but it seems to me he's set up to take a beating in both.

It's fun to watch him throw and run right now and I hope he stays healthy. Seems like he was a very highly thought of prospect except right before the draft oddly enough. This was a great QB draft. A lot of teams are going to be kicking themselves they didn't move up for Herbert/Tua.
Interesting. That’s quite a negative take given what we’ve seen so far. I wouldn’t comp him to RG3 at all. First, running is just kind of a bonus, he’s really not a run first guy like RG3. Second, he’s built more like Cam than RG3. 

Interesting. That’s quite a negative take given what we’ve seen so far. I wouldn’t comp him to RG3 at all. First, running is just kind of a bonus, he’s really not a run first guy like RG3. Second, he’s built more like Cam than RG3. 
It's not meant to be negative at all. I just wonder if he'll be able to stay healthy. I have no confidence in telesco having the will to build a line to protect him. He takes a lot of hits which is fine when you are half a dozen games into your career, less so when the seasons start piling up.

Even in that KC game if you go back and watch you wonder, "Why is he taking those big hits that he doesn't have to?".

It's not meant to be negative at all. I just wonder if he'll be able to stay healthy. I have no confidence in telesco having the will to build a line to protect him. He takes a lot of hits which is fine when you are half a dozen games into your career, less so when the seasons start piling up.

Even in that KC game if you go back and watch you wonder, "Why is he taking those big hits that he doesn't have to?".
That is fair. Hopefully LA is smart and drafts, signs OL around him. They way he is playing now, it doesn't even seem like getting a marquee WR is a priority. Send guys vertical and he is going to hit them in stride. 

Justin Herbert completed 27-of-43 passes for 347 yards and three touchdowns in the Chargers' Week 7 win over the Jaguars, adding 65 yards and a touchdown on the ground.

Herbert continues to operate at high levels aside from the occasional rookie mistake. Today, he used his legs to pick up multiple first downs and a touchdown, and spread the defense vertically with the deep ball. He made two perfect passes down the field to no-namers Virgil Green and Jalen Guyton for scores. All this despite missing his starting center, right guard, and right tackle. The Chargers' ceiling is higher than expected with Herbert pacing for Offensive Rookie of the Year consideration. He's leaped into the low-end QB1 conversation in fantasy circles, too. A tougher challenge awaits in Denver next week, however.

Oct 25, 2020, 7:29 PM ET

Richard Sherman @RSherman_25

This man Herbert throws some dimes.... not even watching their game but every highlight is a dime by the kid. Sheesh

6:51 PM · Oct 25, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

even better....I assumed he was drafted in all dynasty leagues though.
Didn't realize you specifically meant dynasty. I got a 5 man keeper league I just started this year (My old league folded) and was planning on keeping D Cook, Connor, Hill, Kennan Allen and Juju but with jUju not in a debate as keeper worth I think Herbert might be it. I got Rodgers and Big Ben as my other QBs. Am trying to trade Ben for depth at this point 

Last edited by a moderator:
Used him to fill in for Lamar during his bye this week.

Seriously contemplating leaving him in there permanently.

If he can start stacking together some wins, he will be in the ROY conversation.

Used him to fill in for Lamar during his bye this week.

Seriously contemplating leaving him in there permanently.

If he can start stacking together some wins, he will be in the ROY conversation.
I drafted Lamar in the third round and picked up Herbert on waivers.  Actually lucked into trading Lamar over the weekend for essentially Mike Thomas. 

I know QBs can have limited trade value but I think the shark move is to go all in and trade Lamar and roll with Herbert.

NFL Research @NFLResearch

Justin Herbert is the only player since at least 1970 with 1,500+ pass yards and a 100+ passer rating over his first 5 career games ... It looks like the Chargers found their next franchise QB

7:37 PM · Oct 25, 2020·Twitter Web App

He's been on fire. 

Feel like he's due for some regression. 

Don't love the matchup @DEN this week, but hard to sit him. If I can get Wentz in waviers facing DAL at home I may actually sit Herbert.

Users who are viewing this thread