What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Herbert, LAC (2 Viewers)

Used him to fill in for Lamar during his bye this week.

Seriously contemplating leaving him in there permanently.

If he can start stacking together some wins, he will be in the ROY conversation.
I would trade Lamar and roll the dice with Herbert.  At worst Herbert is a low end QB1, and we saw his upside which is through the roof.  Lamar is still very good, but we have seen BAL take their foot off the gas when the game is out of hand.  He is past his bye as well.

Herbert will help win a lot of titles this year, and will easily be one of the waiver wire pickups of the year.

Owner in our league has Lamar and Herbert. He’s shopping Lamar big time.  What Herbert is doing is Dan Marino-light impressive. Sky is the limit. Kid is unflappable, has a huge arm, greets touch and can run. 

Week 7 looked more like a pass oriented game plan with less conservative running drives.  I wonder if Lynn made the adjustment based on Herbert's strengths.  Because Jackson and Kelley sure aren't effective running the ball - part of it is their oline.

We'll see moving forward.  If the pass heavy game plan sticks, oh boy.

BoltBacker said:
It's not meant to be negative at all. I just wonder if he'll be able to stay healthy. I have no confidence in telesco having the will to build a line to protect him. He takes a lot of hits which is fine when you are half a dozen games into your career, less so when the seasons start piling up.

Even in that KC game if you go back and watch you wonder, "Why is he taking those big hits that he doesn't have to?".
He definitely needs to learn how to avoid hits when running for sure. I've seen multiple times he's actually lead with his throwing shoulder when trying to run through defenders. Bad idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would trade Lamar and roll the dice with Herbert.  At worst Herbert is a low end QB1, and we saw his upside which is through the roof.  Lamar is still very good, but we have seen BAL take their foot off the gas when the game is out of hand.  He is past his bye as well.

Herbert will help win a lot of titles this year, and will easily be one of the waiver wire pickups of the year.
I drafted him in dynasty so I obviously hope this is evidence that he is Dan Marino-light but, to play devil's advocate, I think the true test will be year 2.  It's obviously very promising to see a rookie play the way he has but other rookies have done well and then have ultimately faltered (re: Baker Mayfield).  Perhaps it's a mental aspect to the game that offers (for some) a rookie outbreak but then they lose it afterwards.  Perhaps it's tape that coaches review to understand that QB's nuances and so defenses can attack them the subsequent year that prevent a continued growth and eliminating the excitement of their Year 1 pop, since good NFL QBs dictate the play on the field instead of simply being on the fortunate end of solely a good OL,  quality coaching, or bad coaching from their opposition etc.

I guess I'm just saying don't count your chickens before they hatch but I'll admit that I'm very excited to own him as well, especially since it's my only heir to an aging Matt Ryan.  Here's hoping he pans out!

I drafted him in dynasty so I obviously hope this is evidence that he is Dan Marino-light but, to play devil's advocate, I think the true test will be year 2.  It's obviously very promising to see a rookie play the way he has but other rookies have done well and then have ultimately faltered (re: Baker Mayfield).  Perhaps it's a mental aspect to the game that offers (for some) a rookie outbreak but then they lose it afterwards.  Perhaps it's tape that coaches review to understand that QB's nuances and so defenses can attack them the subsequent year that prevent a continued growth and eliminating the excitement of their Year 1 pop, since good NFL QBs dictate the play on the field instead of simply being on the fortunate end of solely a good OL,  quality coaching, or bad coaching from their opposition etc.

I guess I'm just saying don't count your chickens before they hatch but I'll admit that I'm very excited to own him as well, especially since it's my only heir to an aging Matt Ryan.  Here's hoping he pans out!
Baker Mayfield didn't do this well. Very few have.

Tristan H. Cockcroft @SultanofStat · 22h

Most fantasy points by a quarterback in his first five NFL starts:

130.4 Deshaun Watson

128.4 Cam Newton

125.8 Justin Herbert

125.7 Patrick Mahomes

112.2 Daunte Culpepper

Point remains, it's still early, but he looks really, really good, and it's not like his supporting cast is amazing or anything.

Dynasty is a little trickier.  I was talking about redraft.

Baker is a completely different thing. I think Baker has matured a lot more then Ioriginally thought he'd do in the NFL. However Baker's issues were always pocket awareness and high passes that were gonna lead to picks. Baker will have a huge game once in awhile but he's also gonna look very very avg a lot of times. He's incredible inconsistent and he plays for CLEV which isn't great. Herbert has the better weapons and if they can fix that offensive line look out. 

Herbert officially my lone QB unless something drastically changes here.

Started with Brees, then streamed Herbert, then started considering Wentz, Bridgewater, Burrow this week on waivers...and I asked myself...why? Why burn another roster slot? 

Schedule looks good. Herbert seems to have a decent floor with his running ability and isn't such a gunslinger that I see a 3 INT game coming.

I'm all in.

Herbert officially my lone QB unless something drastically changes here.

Started with Brees, then streamed Herbert, then started considering Wentz, Bridgewater, Burrow this week on waivers...and I asked myself...why? Why burn another roster slot? 

Schedule looks good. Herbert seems to have a decent floor with his running ability and isn't such a gunslinger that I see a 3 INT game coming.

I'm all in.
Same.  Traded away Lamar.

I hope Denver manages to score some points this weekend to keep Herbert going for 4 quarters. 

I’m seriously considering playIng Herbert at Denver over Lamar vs Pitt. Must win for me as I’m 2-5 and can’t afford a loss, I think I’m throwing caution to the wind and doing it. What do I have to lose! Slightly better matchup. Could see Bal-Pitt being a low scoring slug fest. 

As a Charger fan this game makes me very nervous.  Should be a win,  but thats when they end up pulling a massive choke.  They tried to give the game away to the freaking Jaguars last week.  And I don't feel good about a Fangio defense against a rookie QB now that Fangio has a lot of film on him.  On the other hand I think that if Herbert gets through this game just as productive I will be very happy. 

Man, it's pretty galling that Herbert couldn't earn a consistent W when his team's defense couldn't protect the lead.  

Man the Chargers are good at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

All systems go as far as Herbert as QB1.  LV, @Mia, NYJ up next.

Justin Herbert was added to the Chargers' Thursday injury report with a throwing shoulder issue, practicing in full. 

It is almost certainly nothing to worry about, but it is worth passing along that the Chargers at least saw fit to list their quarterback after he was not on Wednesday's report. Headed into a plum Sunday matchup with the Raiders, be sure to double check Herbert's status on Friday and Sunday. He is a top 10 option for Week 9. 

Nov 5, 2020, 6:37 PM ET

Chargers QB Justin Herbert (shoulder) was removed from the team's injury report. 

Herbert on Thursday popped up on the injury report with a throwing shoulder injury. He seems to be OK and ready to go for Sunday against the Raiders. Averaging 303 passing yards on 37.8 attempts per game, Herbert is a low-end QB1 against Vegas' middling pass defense. 

SOURCE: Glibert Manzano on Twitter 

Nov 6, 2020, 3:49 PM ET

Has Herbert fever taken over? I tried to get him in a deal where I would be sending Lamar to his owner & insta-reject for him...I tried a few different variations too!

Helaire-ious said:
Has Herbert fever taken over? I tried to get him in a deal where I would be sending Lamar to his owner & insta-reject for him...I tried a few different variations too!
I was contemplating offering Lamar for Herbert in dynasty ... wasn’t sure if I was overreacting or if a week or two from now this won’t even be possible. It may not be possible now. 

Helaire-ious said:
It has taken over....however Lamar is not proving to be improving as a passer which is the longevity trait of a good FF QB. I would take the risk and put my chips with Herbert as of today even though that opinion may be looked at as premature. 

Tristan H. Cockcroft @SultanofStat

Justin Herbert's 170.4 fantasy points are the third-most by a quarterback through his first seven career starts (since at least 1950), and had Donald Parham Jr. controlled that would-be touchdown catch at game's end, Herbert would currently stand atop the list.

8:01 PM · Nov 8, 2020

Not loving the Miami matchup at all. He's due to regress (a little) especially if M. Williams is out. 

Flores and that D are no joke. They know how to scheme.

Hitched my wagon a few weeks ago after dropping Brees, but may explore options this week (like picking Brees back up vs. SF).

I don't like the matchup either but the 250/2 floor would seem to be intact given that they will have to score and the LAC cant run the ball right now.

I am not crazy about it, but I am starting him.

I’ve ever seen a player lose so much swag over night 
My god! Are there no mirrors at the LAC facilities? And he let the equipment manager cut his hair?

I saw this thread last night and figured, "Ah, how bad can it be?"

Then I saw him on TV and all I could hear were Dueling Banjos! :jawdrop:

My god! Are there no mirrors at the LAC facilities? And he let the equipment manager cut his hair?

I saw this thread last night and figured, "Ah, how bad can it be?"

Then I saw him on TV and all I could here were Dueling Banjos! :jawdrop:
Ok, wow that is bad. Hope he can recover from that to continue his great play.

Users who are viewing this thread