What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Herbert, LAC (1 Viewer)

Justin Herbert completed 22-of-31 passes for 302 yards and three touchdowns in the Chargers' 38-21, Week 17 win over the Chiefs. 

With the 300-yard day against the Chiefs' B-team defense, Herbert winds up with six rookie records, including: Total touchdowns (36), passing touchdowns (31), completions (396), 300-yard passing efforts (eight), multi-touchdown passing games (10) and three-score days (six). Herbert did fall 39 yards shy of the rookie passing yardage record. An unusually refined rookie for any position, Herbert quickly obliterated his pre-draft rep as a conservative passer, not only routinely challenging down the field, but doing so for big plays while avoiding turnovers. Herbert finally slumped after Thanksgiving after two months of stellar play, but he rebounded for a killer three-game stretch to end the year. Efficient without sacrificing explosiveness, 22-year-old Herbert is already one of the most valuable players in all of football, and offers unlimited ceiling for a franchise that felt hard-capped under Philip Rivers. 

- Rotoworld

Amazing year!

Hope he didn't save Lynn's job by winning too many of those close games to close out the season...

Chargers are interviewing The Clapper.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO.............
Does seem strange but they're casting a very wide net, think they're up to 5-6 candidates already- the latest is Daboll!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS............

Last edited by a moderator:
New Chargers coach Brandon Staley has pledged to build his offense around what Justin Herbert does well. 

Which was basically everything as a rookie. "We want to uniquely shape our offense around Justin Herbert because he is unlike any other quarterback," Staley gushed. "When you study the great quarterbacks in the history of the game they've had systems that have been built for them." This seemingly obvious point is still lost on so many coaches. Tailor your offense to what your players, especially your quarterback, do well. Despite being a defensive-minded head coach, Staley is a former quarterback, while he just spent a year learning under offensive maestro Sean McVay. Best laid plans have a way of going awry in the NFL, but from the outside, Staley seems to be a home run hire.  

SOURCE: Pat McAfee on Twitter 

Jan 26, 2021, 2:02 PM ET

JUSTIN HERBERT QB, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

Chargers OC Joe Lombardi said an uptempo offense will be "a part of what we are building here".

Lombardi and coach Brandon Staley seem to be on the same page offensively, and it comes down to playing into Justin Herbert's strengths. Lombardi mentions how Herbert is comfortable with playing fast based on his time at Oregon, and Staley has already talked with Lombardi about utilizing a no-huddle offense at times. That would be a welcomed addition to the Chargers offense, one that has lacked creativity and polish in recent seasons. Both Staley and Lombardi have also mentioned how analytics can help dictate situational football (fourth-down decisions, pass/run splits, etc.), something the Chargers have notoriously gone against. Overall, the Chargers' newly assembled coaching staff seems to aligning with a lot of modern-day approaches. The roster is good enough to compete in the playoffs as soon as 2021.

SOURCE: Chargers on Twitter

Jan 26, 2021, 6:47 PM ET

Good pub. Now let's see if they can back up the words with actions. And a much improved offensive line.

Justin Herbert has been named the Associated Press' Offensive Rookie of the Year. 

Herbert took home 41-of-50 votes, with Justin Jefferson snagging the other nine. In one of the most impressive rookie classes in years, Herbert was in a class by himself. The No. 6 overall pick set six rookie records, including touchdown passes with 31. The other five were: Total touchdowns (36), completions (396), 300-yard passing efforts (eight), multi-touchdown passing games (10) and three-score days (six). Herbert fell only 39 yards shy of the rookie yardage record. Unflappable and far more aggressive than his college usage suggested he would be, Herbert had the looks of a true franchise player, one who will soon be competing for MVP awards. Herbert turns 23 next month. 

SOURCE: Associated Press 

Feb 6, 2021, 9:22 PM ET

His hair looks cool again. He seemed to have a good time interviewed by Barstool. Worth checking out for fans of his.

:pickle:

Warren Sharp

@SharpFootball

worst to first for Justin Herbert:

Chargers 2020 C Dan Feeney allowed the MOST hurries (24) and pressures (33) of any center last year

new C Corey Linsley allowed the FEWEST hurries (1) and pressures (4) of any center last year (min 700 snaps)

also...zero penalties for Linsley

Hate to lose Henry...
Not at that  price. Good player but at least up until this point he hasn't lived up to the hype. Most of his ~60 catches, 600 yds, and 4 TDs isn't going to be hard to replace for less money.

Linsley + Parham (or whoever they end up with at TE) >>> Henry + Feeney

Chargers coach Brandon Staley said the offense will "run through" Justin Herbert.

"Those are the most dangerous quarterbacks, where the quarterback becomes the system," said Staley. "Studying great players and guys I've looked to from a coaching standpoint, their quarterbacks have all played really well." Staley and OC Joe Lombardi plan to run a fast offense with no-huddle concepts, similar to what Herbert did at Oregon. The Chargers let TE Hunter Henry walk this offseason, downgrading Herbert’s supporting cast, but a more QB-friendly system gives him room to build on his record-setting rookie year.

SOURCE: chargers.com

Jul 4, 2021, 12:17 PM ET

Staley and OC Joe Lombardi plan to run a fast offense with no-huddle concepts, similar to what Herbert did at Oregon.
That is not at all what Oregon did while Herbert was there.   They might have skipped the huddle, but it was slow, plodding, deliberate, and stunted Herbert's growth.

I know his ADP continues to drop (meaning he is going earlier and earlier) but I am really starting to fall for this guy. Talented, good offense, the kid can run and throw, not a running team however (and their top guy Ekeler gets his points catching the ball), so-so defense. Adds up (in my mind at least) to a potential big leap into the elite QB level this year. 

Do Not Draft List: Quarterbacks (2021 Fantasy Football)

Excerpt:

Justin Herbert (LAC) QB6, ADP 60
The previously mentioned Herbert is a logical starting point. Coming in at QB6, the reigning rookie of the year, a conclusion he is on pace to continue his ascension off a QB9 finish. Warning flags abound.  

The first factor to consider is his rushing profile. Herbert has the tools to project as a dual-threat QB capable of pushing to the top of the sport. As of yet, he has not used it absent one 66 yard performance against the league-worst Jaguars.  

Herbert faces uncertainty with the arrival of a new coaching staff, most notably Offensive Coordinator Joe Lombardi. Volume should not be an issue; in his previous stops, Lombardi has been a part of league-leading passing offenses. Still, the onus is on Herbert to learn his third new offense in three years.

The actual case against him boils down to ADP. 

Herbert broke rookie records, including most passing touchdowns. That season still placed him QB9 on a per-game basis. His acquisition price is at his ceiling. Further complication the matter, difference-making players are available later on similar risk profiles. Jalen Hurts

carries a risky profile but a rushing floor to challenge the top tier and an ADP of 89.  Ryan Tannehill, who finished just one ppg behind Herbert, carries an ADP of 80.

To buy-in is to hope his rush game develops, he clicks with the new coaching staff, and he avoids the dreaded sophomore slump after teams have an entire offseason to dissect and attack. Quite frankly, some players have a solid chance to outscore him available much later.

Personally I happen to like Tannehill a decent amount as well, but I could not disagree more with the author's suggestion that Jalen Hurts is a better choice than Herbert--even with a later ADP. 
I agree. The writer's "warning flags abound" is a bit much. His main criticism is that Herbert doesn't run enough but he's athletic and rushed for 5 td's last season.  The coordinator turnover is a valid point but I think going from Lynn/Steichen to Staley/Lombardi is an upgrade - it's neutral at worst. As for Hurts, he also has coaching turnover, doesn't have nearly the weapons around him that Herbert does and has to contend with the fact that the current regime didn't pick him and may not view him as the QB of the future. I don't dislike Hurts at all and his upside is exciting but there are some question marks there.

I think going from Lynn/Steichen to Staley/Lombardi is an upgrade
:goodposting:  

New offensive coaching staff will bring influences from Sean Payton and Mike Shanahan, two of the best offensive minds in today's NFL.

Also note that it was well known that Herbert had to learn multiple new offenses in college, then again last year as a rookie, and in the COVID-impacted offseason at that. He has proven to be good at it. One of his biggest strengths is his intelligence.

Chargers coach Brandon Staley said the offense will "run through" Justin Herbert.

Just Win Baby said:
:goodposting:  

New offensive coaching staff will bring influences from Sean Payton and Mike Shanahan, two of the best offensive minds in today's NFL.

Also note that it was well known that Herbert had to learn multiple new offenses in college, then again last year as a rookie, and in the COVID-impacted offseason at that. He has proven to be good at it. One of his biggest strengths is his intelligence.
While there may be an adjustment period because of the new coaching staff, I think it's wheels up for Herbert in 2021 and beyond. I'd try to buy on the dip if there are any initial struggles except I already own him in all my leagues. 😂

Everyone seems to assume that because he’s coming from the Saints, Lombardi is an upgrade at OC. I don’t think that opinion would be shared by too many Lions fans who endured him as the OC in 2014 and 2015. Stafford became less aggressive and they shrunk the playbook. Stafford 5 fourth-quarter GWDs; ton of games they were down 0-14, 3-14, 0-21. Conservative. They had Megatron, Golden Tate, Joique Bell, Reggie Bush and Ebron + a top 5 defense. Next season they were even more predictable on offense & he was canned after 7 games.

Second half of 2015, Jim Bob Cooter made Stafford a better quarterback. But he had to un-#### what Lombardi had screwed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
What happened to the Saints offense after Lombardi returned as quarterback coach? Oh I know…Brees got old. No arm strength. Just a coincidence.

At qb6 and 60 overall Herbert is an easy pass.  At that spot you are assuming he will improve,  but aside from the unknown as to whether or not Lombardi is an upgrade we don't even know how he will handle loud environments.  Herbert made a lot of changes at the line last year,  but he didn't have loud fans to deal with.  This year will be different,  especially for the Chargers. Many of their "home" games will be louder for the other team. The oline improvements should help, but who knows. Maybe it won't be a big deal,   but combined with the many other unknowns it makes it an easy pass for me. At least at that price. 

At qb6 and 60 overall Herbert is an easy pass.  At that spot you are assuming he will improve,  but aside from the unknown as to whether or not Lombardi is an upgrade we don't even know how he will handle loud environments.  Herbert made a lot of changes at the line last year,  but he didn't have loud fans to deal with.  This year will be different,  especially for the Chargers. Many of their "home" games will be louder for the other team. The oline improvements should help, but who knows. Maybe it won't be a big deal,   but combined with the many other unknowns it makes it an easy pass for me. At least at that price. 
well, he is in the same grouping as Russ, Rodgers, Brady and Hurts. Russ is held back by his coaching staff (as we saw in the 2nd half last year). Rodgers we have no idea about but his ADP will jump considerably if/when he returns. That said, prior to last season he had been starting to show some decline. Brady had a monster year no doubt, but no way I am pinning my hopes to a 42 year old QB. As for Hurts, his team sucks, and he certainly did not look as good as Herbert did last year. 

As for the loudness of the stadiums, he seemed to do OK playing in front of huge PAC12 crowds and if the Chargers start winning, the home games will in fact be "home" games. 

Just my 2 cents of course.

Herbert has a broad ADP range....I like him if he slides in certain formats.  Like almost all QBs, wouldn't take him early in most formats.

There is a high ceiling here IMHO as a second year leap is in the cards.  Herbert has a much brighter future IMHO than a Kyler Murray for example.

Herbert has a broad ADP range....I like him if he slides in certain formats.  Like almost all QBs, wouldn't take him early in most formats.

There is a high ceiling here IMHO as a second year leap is in the cards.  Herbert has a much brighter future IMHO than a Kyler Murray for example.
Don't disagree at all on Herbert having a high ceiling but curious as to why you're fading Murray?

Don't disagree at all on Herbert having a high ceiling but curious as to why you're fading Murray?
Multiple reasons

1) Small running QBs with marginal O line is a recipe for risk IMHO.  

2) Strength of schedule red flags

3) another year of tape on the Kyler/Kingsbury offense

Multiple reasons

1) Small running QBs with marginal O line is a recipe for risk IMHO.  

2) Strength of schedule red flags

3) another year of tape on the Kyler/Kingsbury offense
Interesting.  Re: schedule, it seems like a mixed bag. Obviously, going against the Rams and 49ers each two times in a season is tough but he also gets the Jaguars and Texans, as well as the Lions in the first week of the fantasy playoffs and a potential shootout in Week 17 against Dallas.

Interesting.  Re: schedule, it seems like a mixed bag. Obviously, going against the Rams and 49ers each two times in a season is tough but he also gets the Jaguars and Texans, as well as the Lions in the first week of the fantasy playoffs and a potential shootout in Week 17 against Dallas.
PFF has the strength of schedule a 5.5.(my personal favorite SOS metric)

Niners defense significantly improved this year.   

There are better QB targets out there...hard pass on Kyler.

well, he is in the same grouping as Russ, Rodgers, Brady and Hurts. Russ is held back by his coaching staff (as we saw in the 2nd half last year). Rodgers we have no idea about but his ADP will jump considerably if/when he returns. That said, prior to last season he had been starting to show some decline. Brady had a monster year no doubt, but no way I am pinning my hopes to a 42 year old QB. As for Hurts, his team sucks, and he certainly did not look as good as Herbert did last year. 

As for the loudness of the stadiums, he seemed to do OK playing in front of huge PAC12 crowds and if the Chargers start winning, the home games will in fact be "home" games. 

Just my 2 cents of course.
100% agree on Hurts, but I don't think I could take Herbert over any of Rodgers/Wilson/Brady. Just don't trust him anywhere near as much as those guys. 

I'm not a guy who typically takes QB highly, so likely I'll end up with whomever goes latest in that group(I'd probably go Tannehill over Hurts to be honest) if that is Herbert, then so be it.

100% agree on Hurts, but I don't think I could take Herbert over any of Rodgers/Wilson/Brady. Just don't trust him anywhere near as much as those guys. 

I'm not a guy who typically takes QB highly, so likely I'll end up with whomever goes latest in that group(I'd probably go Tannehill over Hurts to be honest) if that is Herbert, then so be it.
I like Tannehill too.

Everyone seems to assume that because he’s coming from the Saints, Lombardi is an upgrade at OC. I don’t think that opinion would be shared by too many Lions fans who endured him as the OC in 2014 and 2015. Stafford became less aggressive and they shrunk the playbook. Stafford 5 fourth-quarter GWDs; ton of games they were down 0-14, 3-14, 0-21. Conservative. They had Megatron, Golden Tate, Joique Bell, Reggie Bush and Ebron + a top 5 defense. Next season they were even more predictable on offense & he was canned after 7 games.

Second half of 2015, Jim Bob Cooter made Stafford a better quarterback. But he had to un-#### what Lombardi had screwed up.
My understanding is that Lombardi was prevented by HC Caldwell from implementing the Saints offense in Detroit. For that reason, I don’t view his time as Lions OC as being predictive. YMMV. 

My understanding is that Lombardi was prevented by HC Caldwell from implementing the Saints offense in Detroit. For that reason, I don’t view his time as Lions OC as being predictive. YMMV. 
I just glanced through a half dozen contemporaneous articles which stated Lombardi implemented the Saints offense and retained game planning and play calling through his tenure. But whatever, it was a long time ago. Maybe his second gig goes better.

PFF has the strength of schedule a 5.5.(my personal favorite SOS metric)
Are you able to look at historic SOS and see how predictive PFF’s preseason rankings were?

I have argued for years that preseason SOS is less than worthless and it takes at least 4-6 weeks into the season for them to be predictive. 

I just glanced through a half dozen contemporaneous articles which stated Lombardi implemented the Saints offense and retained game planning and play calling through his tenure. But whatever, it was a long time ago. Maybe his second gig goes better.
Yeah,  I think you're right.  Most of the stuff I've read about Lombardi's time is that he actually regrets how much he tried to implement the same offense with a different staff instead of tailoring the offense to the staff.  He says that is a lesson learned,  so hopefully it sticks because I don't think Herbert's game much like Brees' game. 

Yeah,  I think you're right.  Most of the stuff I've read about Lombardi's time is that he actually regrets how much he tried to implement the same offense with a different staff instead of tailoring the offense to the staff.  He says that is a lesson learned,  so hopefully it sticks because I don't think Herbert's game much like Brees' game. 
Listen, I was just complaining bc that was such a painful missed opportunity as a Lions fan. Literally the only period in the last quarter century the has a good defense.

But so what? 6-7 years is an NFL generation ago. Lombardi probably learned a lot from the experience. We rarely grow from periods of seashells & balloons, it’s when we go through adversity that character is formed, from mistakes we learn what works or what doesn’t.

Herbert is a special player and if everyone stays healthy they should cook.

Users who are viewing this thread