What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Herbert, LAC (1 Viewer)

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compared Oregon QB Justin Herbert to Philadelphia Eagles QB Carson Wentz.

"[Herbert] trusts his protection while working through coverages and route development and has big-boy arm talent and drive velocity to stress and impress defenses," Zierlein writes of the 6-foot-6, 236-pound Oregon gunslinger. The analyst sees issues with touch passes -- citing a "tentativeness" on short and intermediate tosses -- as well as ball placement on the more negative side of the equation, but on the whole, refers to Herbert as the "most physically gifted quarterback in the draft." Despite some of the holes in Herbert's evaluation, he could end up off the board within the first five picks of April's draft.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 8, 2020, 11:26 AM ET

NEXT

The Athletic's Dane Brugler writes that Oregon QB Justin Herbert "has the tendency to leave you wanting more with his inconsistent reads and decisions."

"While [Herbert] is highly intelligent, that doesn’t always translate to on-field processing speed for him — at quarterback, being book smart is great, but you need quick-minded players, and he isn’t always that," Brugler writes, adding that "you would rather have a 'Jeopardy' champion at quarterback than a 4.0 student." The 6-foot-6, 237-pound Oregon signal-caller did show out very well for the Senior Bowl week last month, we should note, and even with his concerns (there is no Teflon prospect), Brugler ranks Herbert as his No. 3 quarterback for the spring draft, noting that "Herbert is a dynamic dual-threat passer with an elite combination of size, athleticism and arm talent," albeit one whose evaluation is less than clean in some areas.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Feb 6, 2020, 4:52 PM ET

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller spoke with one evaluator who said that Oregon QB Justin Herbert's week in Mobile for the Senior Bowl was the best he had seen since Carson Wentz's in 2016.

Miller writes that it is "hard to imagine" Herbert lasting past the No. 7 selection in April (that pick belongs to Carolina) and goes so far as to cap the Oregon gunslinger's ceiling at the No. 3 pick. The analyst notes that the 6-foot-6, 237-pound Herbert made an "obvious effort" to step up as a leader while in Mobile and additionally passes along that those he spoke with were "raving" about Herbert's showing after the week was in the books. All of this illustrates the somewhat frustrating nature of the evaluating process, as we were seeing anonymous reports all fall slashing Herbert for being soft and quiet. One week in Mobile, completely different tunes being sung. Would it shock us if the "quiet/soft" label rears its head again at the combine? Not in the slightest.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Feb 3, 2020, 3:11 PM ET

ESPN's Todd McShay writes that Oregon QB Justin Herbert's "huge arm and good mobility" remind him by degrees of Buffalo Bills QB Josh Allen.

"There's a whole lot of ability there, but Herbert needs to iron out some decision-making issues," McShay explains. "Establishing consistency in his game was a real problem this season, and the more tape I watch, the more it concerns me." The 6-foot-6, 237-pound Herbert is not a perfect prospect, but showed out well during the Senior Bowl practice week, ultimately winning game MVP last Saturday. McShay currently ranks Herbert as his No. 14 prospect for April's draft.

SOURCE: ESPN Insider

Jan 30, 2020, 5:34 PM ET

Miami Herald's Barry Jackson wrote "no team has done more work on" Oregon QB Justin Herbert than the Dolphins over the last two seasons.

Local and national reports have recently linked Herbert to the Dolphins at No. 5 even with Tua Tagovailoa likely available to them at that spot. Herbert is usually lower than Tagovailoa on draft boards, but there's no telling where Tagovailoa will be selected given his medicals, especially with team doctors unable to examine him in-person. It's well within reason that Herbert is selected as the No. 2 quarterback in the class with Joe Burrow going 1st overall to the Bengals. Jackson also reports the Dolphins have visited with RBs J.K. Dobbins, D'Andre Swift, Clyde Edwards-Helaire, and Cam Akers. They are likely Day 2 targets.

RELATED: 

Miami Dolphins

SOURCE: MiamiHerald.com

Apr 15, 2020, 10:37 PM ET

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero polled 12 general managers or "high-level executives" on who would be the second quarterback off the board behind LSU's Joe Borrow and seven said Oregon's Justin Herbert. 

That means five for Alabama's Tua Tagovailoa. This week's increased Herbert-ahead-of-Tua speculation has had the feel of a billowing smokescreen, but this would suggest that is not the case. A 6-foot-6 physical specimen with a cannon arm, it's little surprise that Herbert has become an object of front office affection, but his decision-making and ball placement are major concerns.  

RELATED: 

Tua Tagovailoa

SOURCE: NFL.com 

Apr 16, 2020, 2:02 PM ET

Speaking with The Athletic's Bob McGinn, one scout said that Oregon QB Justin Herbert was "kind of robotic and mechanical."

"[Herbert] has the classic looks of an NFL quarterback. That’s that guy that has burned a lot of people in the past. Big, tall, good-looking, interviews well, smart, throws the ball a mile, all that stuff," the scout said, adding that the Oregon gunslinger lacks for vision. On the other end of the spectrum, another scout came to Herbert's defense, telling McGinn that "[h]e’s got everything, plus he’s a great kid" while noting that his much ballyhooed lack of dynamism as a leader should not be viewed as disqualifying. There has been much recent talk about Herbert as a possibility for the Dolphins at No. 5, should they be feeling nervous about Tua Tagovailoa's medicals.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 17, 2020, 4:43 PM ET

According to NFL Media's Ian Rapoport, the Giants "have spent a lot of time researching" Oregon QB Justin Herbert. 

While the possibility of Herbert being selected fourth overall is certainly worth considering, it is extremely difficult to envision a scenario in which the Giants are the team doing the picking. The team selected Duke's Daniel Jones in the first round of last year's draft, anointing him the heir apparent to the now-retired Eli Manning. If anything the report of the Giants looking into Herbert is an attempt to spark some trade conversations for the pick. Teams picking below New York within the top-10 that are expected to be in the market for a quarterback are Miami (5th overall), the Chargers (6th) and Jacksonville (9th). 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 20, 2020, 10:05 AM ET

Yahoo! Sports' Charles Robinson reports while the Giants have Oregon's Justin Herbert as their No. 1 quarterback, he is "completely certain" New York will not be selecting him at No. 4 overall.

Robinson chalks up the flirtation with Herbert as a "Patriots culture move" where ex-New Englander Joe Judge is getting some "just in case" additional evaluation for "down the road." The rumor is fun on the surface, but the Giants bailing this early on Daniel Jones, especially since GM Dave Gettleman is the one who picked him, wouldn't make a ton of sense when there are major holes all over the roster. Herbert still seems more likely to be picked by the Dolphins or Chargers at Nos. 5 and 6 overall.

RELATED: 

New York Giants

SOURCE: Charles Robinson on Twitter

Apr 20, 2020, 1:16 PM ET

2020 NFL Draft: Don't pass on Isaiah Simmons or Derrick Brown!

Excerpt:

3) Give me Justin Herbert over Tua Tagovailoa

I love the potential of these two cats. Both can be stars. Honestly, the top three quarterbacks in this class have special talent -- I won't be the least bit surprised if Burrow, Herbert and Tagovailoa all eventually establish themselves as bona fide franchise quarterbacks.

But yes, Tua's well-documented health issues do indeed scare me. Trent Dilfer, who has been training Tagovailoa over the past few months, came on my SiriusXM Radio show last week and painted an ultra-rosy picture of the QB's present -- and future. After stating Tua would "crush a physical right now," the Super Bowl-winning quarterback said his pupil is "the finest prospect I've ever seen. He throws the football as well as I've ever seen a football thrown." Well alright then! Dilfer's right, though, in terms of assessing Tua as a very special talent. But the medical concerns are unavoidable. If I were the GM of a QB-needy team, I'd be hesitant to spend valuable draft currency on a guy who has undergone three surgical procedures in the past two years: one on the hip and one on each ankle. This is especially troubling in this draft season, with the COVID-19 pandemic significantly limiting access to prospects. How comfortable will a team feel about selecting Tua with a premium pick if its own doctors haven't been able to recently take their own look at his lower extremities?

Meanwhile, the experienced, athletic, rocket-armed Herbert checks a whole lotta boxes -- without the lengthy injury history. He posted a 95:23 TD-to-INT ratio at Oregon, including a sparkling 32:6 mark this past season. And the 6-foot-6, 236-pounder is no sitting duck in the pocket, as evidenced by his 13 rushing touchdowns in college and highly respectable 4.68 40-yard dash at the combine. I think he could become a better Carson Wentz.

Long story short: If Miami comes on the board with Tua and Herbert available, the Dolphins should bet on the cleaner bill of health.

Chargers selected Oregon QB Justin Herbert with the No. 6 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Herbert (6’6/236) is the third signal caller off the board in the first six picks, and will be the Chargers' first new starter at quarterback since 2006. Herbert opted to stay at Oregon for all four seasons despite receiving top-five buzz ahead of the 2019 NFL Draft. He ended his collegiate career with a lopsided 95 touchdowns to 23 picks (and 8.2 YPA) largely because of his elite arm strength. Arguably too reserved in college, Herbert’s traits are best-suited for a vertical or play-action offense. His overall accuracy (64% career completion rate) and stone hands (26 fumbles in 43 starts) are genuine concerns. A gifted athlete with 4.68 speed, Herbert has the ability to scramble for first downs when the pocket collapses and can handle designed runs, which increases his odds of panning out as a rookie starter and franchise cornerstone. While his size, arm talent, and mobility are prototypical of what NFL front offices covet, he needs to improve upon his in-pocket awareness and decision-making to unlock the upside of those gifted tools. Easing the transition will be a strong Chargers skill corps led by Keenan Allen, Austin Ekeler and Hunter Henry. Herbert still seems like a prime candidate for severe rookie growing pains. He will need to expand his dink-and-dunk repertoire to successfully make the leap. 

Apr 23, 2020, 9:02 PM ET

The primary concern in Los Angeles should accordingly be the left tackle position, and with free agents like Jason Peters still floating on the market, it's a wonder why the Chargers haven't locked it down with even a middling veteran option considering Herbert's pressure response issues will only be exacerbated by NFL speed.
That's my Chargers. Why try to get some protection for your #6 QB reach - trade up and shed assets to get another ILB instead, do nothing in FA to address LT either. 0 NFL championships doesn't just happen - it takes work.

That's my Chargers. Why try to get some protection for your #6 QB reach - trade up and shed assets to get another ILB instead, do nothing in FA to address LT either. 0 NFL championships doesn't just happen - it takes work.
If they didn't have OL concerns, they wouldn't be the Chargers. When did the Chargers hire this coach and GM?

Telesco was hired in 2013. Lynn was hired in 2017. The Chargers did have a really good offensive line in the mid-late aughts. Not so much since.

Telesco was hired in 2013. Lynn was hired in 2017. The Chargers did have a really good offensive line in the mid-late aughts. Not so much since.
What do the fans think of Lynn and Telesco? I would like to see them do something a bit creative with their offense to tailor it to Herbert. If they try to force him under center, I might be a bit worried. 

What do the fans think of Lynn and Telesco? I would like to see them do something a bit creative with their offense to tailor it to Herbert. If they try to force him under center, I might be a bit worried. 
I think both should have been fired at the end of last season. IMO Lynn will probably do harm to Herbert's NFL career prospects.

I think both should have been fired at the end of last season. IMO Lynn will probably do harm to Herbert's NFL career prospects.
I think a low key firing could be really good for Herbert. 
Never replied on this. I think the likely progression of things with the Chargers is that they will have a losing season in 2020 but will retain Lynn and Telesco. For a couple reasons:

1. Lynn is reportedly under contract through 2021, and Telesco signed a "multiyear" extension after the 2018 season, so it seems likely he is also under contract through 2021. The Spanos family is notorious for not wanting to fire people when they still have to pay them.
  2. The narrative will be that they get a mulligan on 2020 due to the combination of transition from Rivers to bridge QB Taylor to QBOTF Herbert combined with COVID disruption.
Then I think they will have a losing season in 2021 and both will be fired. Two years under Lynn and then change to a new coaching staff and offensive system is one reason I'm not particularly bullish on Herbert's prospects. I think it is more likely than not that Herbert is not starting for the Chargers in 2025, which is the first season they currently do not control.

Never replied on this. I think the likely progression of things with the Chargers is that they will have a losing season in 2020 but will retain Lynn and Telesco. For a couple reasons:

1. Lynn is reportedly under contract through 2021, and Telesco signed a "multiyear" extension after the 2018 season, so it seems likely he is also under contract through 2021. The Spanos family is notorious for not wanting to fire people when they still have to pay them.
  2. The narrative will be that they get a mulligan on 2020 due to the combination of transition from Rivers to bridge QB Taylor to QBOTF Herbert combined with COVID disruption.
Then I think they will have a losing season in 2021 and both will be fired. Two years under Lynn and then change to a new coaching staff and offensive system is one reason I'm not particularly bullish on Herbert's prospects. I think it is more likely than not that Herbert is not starting for the Chargers in 2025, which is the first season they currently do not control.
Those are fair points. I suppose it may somewhat depend on how bad the losing season is. Is it a 6-10 where they are competitive and show some signs of improvement down the stretch? Or is it 3-13 with wheels absolutely coming off the last month.  

I actually think he could be pretty good. He had a really solid career at Oregon when they didn't have much else going on in that program tbh
Oregon pulls in the best recruiting classes of the entire Pac 12 alongside USC. He had an incredible offnesive line as a result

His skill position group admittedly pales in comparison to those of Tua or Burrow, but he also faced a high end Group of 5 conference in the Pac 12 and not the SEC. And he won that glorified G5 conference one time—that’s it

I won’t rule out anyone being good but I still can’t understand why he was considered anywhere near a top 6 pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chargers signed first-round QB Justin Herbert to a four-year, $26.6 million contract.

As with all first-round picks, the contract includes a fifth-year team option. Herbert (6’6/236) was the third signal caller off the board in the first six picks, and will be the Chargers' first new starter at quarterback since 2006. Herbert opted to stay at Oregon for all four seasons despite receiving top-five buzz ahead of the 2019 NFL Draft. He ended his collegiate career with a lopsided 95 touchdowns to 23 picks (and 8.2 YPA) largely because of his elite arm strength. Arguably too reserved in college, Herbert’s traits are best-suited for a vertical or play-action offense. His overall accuracy (64% career completion rate) and stone hands (26 fumbles in 43 starts) are genuine concerns. A gifted athlete with 4.68 speed, Herbert has the ability to scramble for first downs when the pocket collapses and can handle designed runs, which increases his odds of panning out as a rookie starter and franchise cornerstone. While his size, arm talent, and mobility are prototypical of what NFL front offices covet, he needs to improve upon his in-pocket awareness and decision-making to unlock the upside of those gifted tools. Easing the transition will be a strong Chargers skill corps led by Keenan Allen, Austin Ekeler and Hunter Henry. Herbert still seems like a prime candidate for severe rookie growing pains. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jul 25, 2020, 4:31 PM ET

‘Hard Knocks’ Episode 1: The NFL Prepares for a Unique Training Camp

Excerpt:

Justin Herbert has already impressed

The Chargers selected Herbert with the no. 6 pick in the draft, making him the future of the franchise. He’s already leaving a good impression on his teammates, including rookie running back Darius Bradwell.

Herbert is expected to sit behind Tyrod Taylor. “[Taylor will] probably be the Day One starter,” Lynn said, “but Justin is picking things up. He’s getting better every day.” It’s an encouraging sign for Herbert as the Oregon product gets acquainted to the league in an unprecedented year.

Gilbert Manzano @GManzano24

Justin Herbert already impressing his coaches and teammates. “Low key never seen that.” #HardKnocks
https://twitter.com/gmanzano24/status/1293380709650853888?s=21

Users who are viewing this thread