What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pre Draft Dynasty Buy & Sell Players (1 Viewer)

dmac37

Footballguy
I never seem to have much luck with the FBG search function so I hope this is not a recent repeat topic.

Who are some of the players you are looking to buy or sell prior to the draft or before the season kicks in.

Sell:

Fournette- if you can find someone that values him as a top 10 RB I would try to move him. I think his value will only go down as time goes on

Kamara- he seemed to lose his edge sometime during the 2018 season IMO. I thought I was wrong seeing him shine for a few early games last year but injury or not he ended up looking like 2018 Kamara again. Being a top 5 dynasty RB, I would test the waters and see what I can get for him

RoJo- his value seems to be "fairly" high right now, I just don't see a fit with Brady as the QB now

Cooper- goes missing way too often for a WR seen in the top 5 range in dynasty

Buy:

Hunt- I know the risk factor but he is ranked around RB 25-30 right now. Last year in PPR he was ranked RB17 starting week 10 once he returned, Chubb was RB15. He looked as good as he did in KC and will have all off/pre season to be with the team this year with a strong chance of getting his own show again in 2021.

Ridley- I love what I have seen so far and he has the look of an WR ready to take off in 2020

D. Williams- he is around RB30 right now. Many think KC drafts an RB high or at near high in the draft. I think they will draft an RB but willing to gamble it will not be high (round 1 or 2), history tells us two things in his favor. Andy has not drafted many early round RB's and he seems to have a tendency of playing veterans over rookies in the event that he does take an RB early.

TJ Hockenson- early 2020 could be a little too early for TJ to shine but he was as close to a can't miss prospect as there is. Use the typical 1st year TE struggle as a buy low chance, I will be surprised if he is not in the top 3 or 5 TE's by 2021.

2020 FF draft picks 1.8 - 2.6- with 2020 being such a deep fantasy rich class I think post draft landing spots will render late first up to mid 2nd round draft picks close to the same value as a mid range 1st round pick. Just need to hope one of your guys fall far enough as there appears to be a large cluster of players in the same value tier.

You know Kamara had a high ankle sprain last year right? Said he was running on a leg that was at best 75%. Not sure he's a good sell. Plus as Brees arm loses velocity he'll be more likely to dump down to Kamara IMO.... 

I, for one, dig the Hunt pick. People here have been trying to acquire him. I have been trying to acquire him from a relatively absent owner. Oh well. If he stays out of off-the-field trouble, he's one to target. 

You know Kamara had a high ankle sprain last year right? Said he was running on a leg that was at best 75%. Not sure he's a good sell. Plus as Brees arm loses velocity he'll be more likely to dump down to Kamara IMO.... 
I get it and must admit I have kinda been a Kamara non believer, right or wrong. The Guru John Hansen on Sirius XM made a statement that Kamara never seemed to be the same since Dallas beat the crap out of him one game in 2018, I seemed to agree. Like I stated above, early last year he looked more impressive than ever IMO but injury or not he fell off again. Bottom line for me, at his current ranking I don't think there is much room to move up but plenty to move down. I have been wrong before, time will tell.

I never seem to have much luck with the FBG search function so I hope this is not a recent repeat topic.

Who are some of the players you are looking to buy or sell prior to the draft or before the season kicks in.

Sell:

Fournette- if you can find someone that values him as a top 10 RB I would try to move him. I think his value will only go down as time goes on

Kamara- he seemed to lose his edge sometime during the 2018 season IMO. I thought I was wrong seeing him shine for a few early games last year but injury or not he ended up looking like 2018 Kamara again. Being a top 5 dynasty RB, I would test the waters and see what I can get for him

RoJo- his value seems to be "fairly" high right now, I just don't see a fit with Brady as the QB now

Cooper- goes missing way too often for a WR seen in the top 5 range in dynasty

Buy:

Hunt- I know the risk factor but he is ranked around RB 25-30 right now. Last year in PPR he was ranked RB17 starting week 10 once he returned, Chubb was RB15. He looked as good as he did in KC and will have all off/pre season to be with the team this year with a strong chance of getting his own show again in 2021.

Ridley- I love what I have seen so far and he has the look of an WR ready to take off in 2020

D. Williams- he is around RB30 right now. Many think KC drafts an RB high or at near high in the draft. I think they will draft an RB but willing to gamble it will not be high (round 1 or 2), history tells us two things in his favor. Andy has not drafted many early round RB's and he seems to have a tendency of playing veterans over rookies in the event that he does take an RB early.

TJ Hockenson- early 2020 could be a little too early for TJ to shine but he was as close to a can't miss prospect as there is. Use the typical 1st year TE struggle as a buy low chance, I will be surprised if he is not in the top 3 or 5 TE's by 2021.

2020 FF draft picks 1.8 - 2.6- with 2020 being such a deep fantasy rich class I think post draft landing spots will render late first up to mid 2nd round draft picks close to the same value as a mid range 1st round pick. Just need to hope one of your guys fall far enough as there appears to be a large cluster of players in the same value tier.
I don't have much of an issue with most of these I guess, but for most of them, I would have thought their value isn't dependent at all on what happens in the draft. You could buy or sell them for the same price, pre or post draft.  

A few young runningback sells come to mind for me: Kerryon Johnson, Darrell Henderson, Devin Singletary, James Conner, and Ronald Jones (if you can get anything for him). I feel like some or most of these ones will have competition after the draft, maybe some pretty decent competition.

A few young runningback sells come to mind for me: Kerryon Johnson, Darrell Henderson, Devin Singletary, James Conner, and Ronald Jones (if you can get anything for him). I feel like some or most of these ones will have competition after the draft, maybe some pretty decent competition.
The problem is people are expecting the teams to draft another RB. For Connor and Singletary at least, they need another decent but complementary RB. Drafting one wouldn't be damning unless it was early. The Steelers first pick is 49, and the backs that would straight up supplant Connor are likely gone. The Bills have picks 22 and 54 in the first three rounds. Backs will be available that would be expected to supplant Singletary at those picks. I think the Bills might go with a pounder like AJ Dillon later.

If RBs are not drafted early for those two, their values go up quite a bit, IMO.

Love the Hunt, Hockenson, and Fournette calls.

If you can get Damian Williams for that price then I think he's a worthwhile investment. The owners in my leagues aren't moving him at that cost though. KC isn't drafting a RB in the top 50. I'd be surprised if they pull the trigger in the top 100.

Similarly, if I could move RoJo at ADP then I would. Isn't happening though. I think it's more likely he's paired with someone that compliments him than outright replaces him, but the risk is there and the competition seems to know it. Same story with Henderson.

---

The players I'd be looking to buy are Curtis Samuel, Tony Pollard, Breshad Perriman, and Will Dissly. I think Pollard and Perriman could see a post draft bump, so those would be my priorities this week. I think Pollard's gonna come out of this the primary slot WR and I think Perriman's post-post-post hype breakout is legit. Can him and Darnold overcome Gase? The WR paired with him will only help them too - and I think he'll be a threat to Enunwa's job (not Perriman). I can't imagine Dissly or Samuel will have their needles move based on what happens next week, but I think they will be ascending stocks whenever we start football again. 

An inquiry to the Isabella owner may also be worthwhile. Between that report of Arizona looking at WR, what he did (not) do last year, and how highly this WR class is being regarded that owner may have already moved on. He doesn't come without risk, but I'd rather gamble on him than whoever of those day 2 WR's go to less than ideal situations - and there will be some.

Hunt- I know the risk factor but he is ranked around RB 25-30 right now. Last year in PPR he was ranked RB17 starting week 10 once he returned, Chubb was RB15. He looked as good as he did in KC and will have all off/pre season to be with the team this year with a strong chance of getting his own show again in 2021
Has been brought up in other threads mostly about Chubb, but you aren't accounting for Bye's. In terms of PPG (and removing Wes Hill who only had 1 game), Hunt was RB26 and Chubb was RB20 from week 10 on. They ate into each others value pretty significantly. Both these guys I wouldn't target right now as they are both trading at premiums. IMO I would wait until the season starts as there is a good chance their value will come down if this season holds in the same manner as the 2nd half of last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has been brought up in other threads mostly about Chubb, but you aren't accounting for Bye's. In terms of PPG (and removing Wes Hill who only had 1 game), Hunt was RB26 and Chubb was RB20 from week 10 on. They ate into each others value pretty significantly. Both these guys I wouldn't target right now as they are both trading at premiums. IMO I would wait until the season starts as there is a good chance their value will come down if this season holds in the same manner as the 2nd half of last year.
I think it's important to qualify circumstances that led to those numbers.

*the first two games post suspension were 4 days apart, Hunt wasn't going to be heavily utilized in either of those games as he got his legs back under him

*After that the Browns had 60 or less snaps in 3 of the final 6 games

*And one of those higher snap count games was a blow out loss - could argue two of them were, so - not optimal game script for RB's.

Plus there's that whole incompetent coaching/management thing. This team mentally checked out sometime during week 15.

---

Now, if you expect the Browns to suck again (historically speaking, a good bet to make!) then steering clear is probably the right move. If this team doesn't add another weapon day 2 and turns the corner this year then these two will be big reasons why though.

MAC_32 said:
An inquiry to the Isabella owner may also be worthwhile. Between that report of Arizona looking at WR, what he did (not) do last year, and how highly this WR class is being regarded that owner may have already moved on. He doesn't come without risk, but I'd rather gamble on him than whoever of those day 2 WR's go to less than ideal situations - and there will be some.
I saw the Cardinals were visiting with a lot of receivers. I wonder if those mostly took place before the Hopkins trade. They can't be planning to draft more receivers, can they?

What are folks thoughts on Montgomery for 2020? Better than 2019 or a sophomore slump?

Rankings are down on Montgomery. Might be able to pry away from anxious owner.
Buy low sell high- I'm intrigued by Montgomery with his value being down and FF owners generally being impatient. I'm far from a scout but through the years I have discovered certain types of RB's I like to invest in. My favorite RB's to invest in through the years seem to have some similar qualities. None have jump off the page athletic metrics or measured track 40 yd dash speed but they all seem to have great balance, yards after contact, 5 yard quicks, receiving skills, and during actual games seem to out run faster players.

My list of players include Rice, Bradshaw, Foster, A. Jones seems to be the most athletic current version and my favorite from this group Hunt. I'm always looking for the next RB to fit this mold and I think Montgomery still has a chance to be one of these guys and I'm wondering if Moss is the 2020 rookie version with the poor combine.

Buy low sell high- I'm intrigued by Montgomery with his value being down and FF owners generally being impatient. I'm far from a scout but through the years I have discovered certain types of RB's I like to invest in. My favorite RB's to invest in through the years seem to have some similar qualities. None have jump off the page athletic metrics or measured track 40 yd dash speed but they all seem to have great balance, yards after contact, 5 yard quicks, receiving skills, and during actual games seem to out run faster players.

My list of players include Rice, Bradshaw, Foster, A. Jones seems to be the most athletic current version and my favorite from this group Hunt. I'm always looking for the next RB to fit this mold and I think Montgomery still has a chance to be one of these guys and I'm wondering if Moss is the 2020 rookie version with the poor combine.
Singletary as well. Lots of people are predicting the Bills draft a running back high enough to be a real threat to him. I don't. He is a guy I'd like to buy. I am a Bears fan and a Montgomery believer, but I just don't believe they're going to get that offense off the ground, so I'm not buying him. But I do think he is a possible buy low.

Buying Singletary, Mostert, Carson, Juju, McLaurin, Slayton, Marquise Brown, Woods, Watkins, Jarwin, Herndon, Ebron, Mahomes, Minshew, Jones 

Selling Mack, *almost* any QB or TE that I can get some kind of value back from, especially as a piece of a larger trade. I admit I don't have a long list of sell candidates. I think I've mostly ended up selling players I actually like (that's why they were on my roster), but doing it for either what I think is a profit or to make a deal happen. I've sold Mostert, Juju and Herndon this offseason even though I still consider them solid buys. I did have Conner on my list of buy lows, but I've cooled off that and sold him off in one. 

Buying Singletary, Mostert, Carson, Juju, McLaurin, Slayton, Marquise Brown, Woods, Watkins, Jarwin, Herndon, Ebron, Mahomes, Minshew, Jones 

Selling Mack, *almost* any QB or TE that I can get some kind of value back from, especially as a piece of a larger trade. I admit I don't have a long list of sell candidates. I think I've mostly ended up selling players I actually like (that's why they were on my roster), but doing it for either what I think is a profit or to make a deal happen. I've sold Mostert, Juju and Herndon this offseason even though I still consider them solid buys. I did have Conner on my list of buy lows, but I've cooled off that and sold him off in one. 
Do you have a reason for selling Mack?  He has looked really good behind the Colts Oline.  The one piece I would say is that he hasn't got an extension and no talks yet of one besides the denial by the owner of an extension talk in place.

I get it and must admit I have kinda been a Kamara non believer, right or wrong. The Guru John Hansen on Sirius XM made a statement that Kamara never seemed to be the same since Dallas beat the crap out of him one game in 2018, I seemed to agree. Like I stated above, early last year he looked more impressive than ever IMO but injury or not he fell off again. Bottom line for me, at his current ranking I don't think there is much room to move up but plenty to move down. I have been wrong before, time will tell.
He fell off due to a HAS and finished the season strong after it healed up a bit.

Do you have a reason for selling Mack?  He has looked really good behind the Colts Oline.  The one piece I would say is that he hasn't got an extension and no talks yet of one besides the denial by the owner of an extension talk in place.
he cant stay healthy. IMO Indy is taking a rb with that early 2nd

he cant stay healthy. IMO Indy is taking a rb with that early 2nd
I disagree that they will take an RB with that early 2nd.  I think they will try to trade back in the draft and acquire more draft capital.  I also don't think they view this is an area of weakness so will not place emphasis early in the draft on this position.  He also has only missed 5 games in the last two seasons combined.  

Theres a fine line between patience and stubbornness - refusal to adjust. 

Gurley could outproduce his ranking, rekindling in ATL.

Cameron Brate or OJ Howard could be a nice addition (especially if OJ leaves.)

I disagree that they will take an RB with that early 2nd.  I think they will try to trade back in the draft and acquire more draft capital.  I also don't think they view this is an area of weakness so will not place emphasis early in the draft on this position.  He also has only missed 5 games in the last two seasons combined.  
We will see in a week!

And last season he broke his hand. It’s not like it was some knee or hamstring issue that had carried over from a previous year. Getting Nix from Pitt is a big boost for the run game. I’d be surprised if they spent a high pick on a running back. 

Mostly because I have zero faith in what the Colts are doing and I don't really like him that much. He may very well survive the draft but I'm not sure I care. I'd rather flip him for something. 

Mostly because I have zero faith in what the Colts are doing and I don't really like him that much. He may very well survive the draft but I'm not sure I care. I'd rather flip him for something. 
zero faith in what the Colts are doing?  Ballard is one of the best GM's in the league and I have a LOT of faith in what the Colts are doing.  They've built the best OL in the league and are building a good defense.  Getting Buckner was brilliant.  They still need to plug some holes at WR and possibly at CB, and could use another Edge, but the job Ballard is doing is outstanding.

zero faith in what the Colts are doing?  Ballard is one of the best GM's in the league and I have a LOT of faith in what the Colts are doing.  They've built the best OL in the league and are building a good defense.  Getting Buckner was brilliant.  They still need to plug some holes at WR and possibly at CB, and could use another Edge, but the job Ballard is doing is outstanding.
From the start, I really like Ballard, I think he is smart GM and definitely top 5 GMs in today NFL. At the same time, trade for Buckner was a brilliant move …..by San Francisco, and its not even close to me, without WRs (Hilton getting old and seems to be injured every year) , Rivers at QB starter (better than Brissett? yes but really ? Rivers looks dead last year with Allen, Mike W and Henry TE), and finally trading the 13th overall pick and extending Buckner to a four-year, $84 million deal is one of the final pieces to Indy Super Bowl run ? I don't think so. 

From the start, I really like Ballard, I think he is smart GM and definitely top 5 GMs in today NFL. At the same time, trade for Buckner was a brilliant move …..by San Francisco, and its not even close to me, without WRs (Hilton getting old and seems to be injured every year) , Rivers at QB starter (better than Brissett? yes but really ? Rivers looks dead last year with Allen, Mike W and Henry TE), and finally trading the 13th overall pick and extending Buckner to a four-year, $84 million deal is one of the final pieces to Indy Super Bowl run ? I don't think so. 
Nobody expects Rivers to be with the Colts more than 2 years.  He's simply a stopgap QB.

If I were you I would take another look at what the Colts are doing.  JohnnU pointed out the same thing I would have.  Great Oline and young above average Defense.

How can you call malhomes a buy low?  Who's going to sell malhomes for anything short of a ransom?

Rivers looks dead last year
Overplayed narrative. Rivers was very good last year, particularly considering the awful state of the OL he played behind. This year, he will play behind the best OL in the league. Expecting a big rebound.

Nothing personal, just the way I feel. My own team (Bears) is perhaps the worst #### show of them all these days. I only owned Mack in one spot anyway so it's not like I'm banging the drum hard here. I'm just not into what they're doing. Don't really want any pieces. 

How can you call malhomes a buy low?  Who's going to sell malhomes for anything short of a ransom?
I've seen a couple trades go down in a couple leagues. But yeah the vast majority of owners aresn't selling, but if anyone is, I think he's worth close to a ransom to buy. I think his positional advantage for the next 10 years is probably worth buying what *appears* to be high. But to be fair, some leagues you might be able to pull something off that's reasonable and most you probably can't. But I put him on the list because if there is even a little chance that his current owner doesn't value him as high as what most will, then you should try to pounce. Therefore he is on my list. He'll probably be on my list for a few years.

ETA although I should also admit this isn't something that is relevant to being pre-draft, which was the point of the OP. I don't think there is anything intrinsically different about wanting to buy Mahomes next week as opposed to this. If I'd thought of that I'd have left him off.

I was offered the 4.09 for Jones not sure where the "fairly high" comes from.  No one will offer me squat for this guy.

If I were you I would take another look at what the Colts are doing.  JohnnU pointed out the same thing I would have.  Great Oline and young above average Defense.
I can see calling Mack a hold but honestly which Colts should I be looking at, if I were to see the light as you all seem to think I need to? Hilton? No thanks. Doyle?  Actually I do like him a little bit in TE premium. 

If there are so many of you that love what the Colts are doing, then it seems there should be a good market for Mack. I'm not really seeing that. Anyway I don't own him anymore so moving on. 

I can see calling Mack a hold but honestly which Colts should I be looking at, if I were to see the light as you all seem to think I need to? Hilton? No thanks. Doyle?  Actually I do like him a little bit in TE premium. 

If there are so many of you that love what the Colts are doing, then it seems there should be a good market for Mack. I'm not really seeing that. Anyway I don't own him anymore so moving on. 
When you say you have zero faith in what the Colts are doing, it infers the roster construction is poor.

Ballard built one of the best OLs in the NFL and is building the Defense the correct way and is above average defense.  Great LBs, building the front line, and working on physical corners that can cover.

Both of those factors greatly impact Mack as you can control a game running the clock with Mack if you have a good defense.  

Hilton is a great receiver, but him and Doyle are not why you should re-look at what the Colts are doing.

Nothing personal, just the way I feel. My own team (Bears) is perhaps the worst #### show of them all these days. I only owned Mack in one spot anyway so it's not like I'm banging the drum hard here. I'm just not into what they're doing. Don't really want any pieces. 
Tell me anything that Ballard is doing wrong?  Yes, they need WR help and will address that with one of their two 2nd rd picks.  The draft is deep at WR.

IMO- Mack is nothing special and a beneficiary of the Colts O-line. History in FF tells me that is a bad long term investment. I will continue to invest in talent long term and situation only short term.

There are some RBs who's value can take a dramatic swing based on draft results...anything can happen on draft day but I am talking about guys who are on teams you would not be totally surprised if they went RB somewhat early:

James Conner-this time last year he was fantasy gold...if the Steelers don't go RB early he could be a big-time bounce back candidate.

Devin Singletary-I would be shocked if Buffalo doesn't add another RB...with their depth chart and how they like to play they need more depth...if it is someone like Dillon I would feel good about Singletary but if somehow a Dobbins or Akers ends up there his value takes a big hit.

Damien Williams-Very odd year last year but still has a good opportunity to be a solid fantasy RB as long as KC doesn't end up with one of those top-shelf RBs.

Kerryon Johnson-turning into a forgotten man and has been very frustrating despite pretty decent expectations...still will only be 23 this season but hard to believe Detroit doesn't add something to their RB unit.

Chris Carson-on the surface this may seem like a surprise but Seattle is very committed to the run, Penny has an ACL injury and Carson is coming off an injury and is a free agent after this season.

Jordan Howard-with all their picks it seems pretty certain that Miami adds a good RB but if they don't then Howard becomes a lot more intriguing.

Darrell Henderson-Henderson owners may have as much on the line as anyone...the Rams have two #2's and two #3's...if they go RB there things get real murky...if they don't then Henderson is in a position to become a serious fantasy contributor and those owners who were patient with him despite an almost non-existent rookie year will be rewarded.

There are some RBs who's value can take a dramatic swing based on draft results...anything can happen on draft day but I am talking about guys who are on teams you would not be totally surprised if they went RB somewhat early:

James Conner-this time last year he was fantasy gold...if the Steelers don't go RB early he could be a big-time bounce back candidate.

Devin Singletary-I would be shocked if Buffalo doesn't add another RB...with their depth chart and how they like to play they need more depth...if it is someone like Dillon I would feel good about Singletary but if somehow a Dobbins or Akers ends up there his value takes a big hit.

Damien Williams-Very odd year last year but still has a good opportunity to be a solid fantasy RB as long as KC doesn't end up with one of those top-shelf RBs.

Kerryon Johnson-turning into a forgotten man and has been very frustrating despite pretty decent expectations...still will only be 23 this season but hard to believe Detroit doesn't add something to their RB unit.

Chris Carson-on the surface this may seem like a surprise but Seattle is very committed to the run, Penny has an ACL injury and Carson is coming off an injury and is a free agent after this season.

Jordan Howard-with all their picks it seems pretty certain that Miami adds a good RB but if they don't then Howard becomes a lot more intriguing.

Darrell Henderson-Henderson owners may have as much on the line as anyone...the Rams have two #2's and two #3's...if they go RB there things get real murky...if they don't then Henderson is in a position to become a serious fantasy contributor and those owners who were patient with him despite an almost non-existent rookie year will be rewarded.
Good list. I don't feel like us Henderson owners have had to show a ton of patience yet. It's just one year and Gurley is gone now, so in a way we have got what we wanted. Our guy at the plate. But I don't know, they are likely to add another couple backs probably. Although I am hoping for Henderson to emerge as a 1A leader of a committee (because I think that's what fantasy RBs are these days besides a select few), I absolutely expect him to have to compete for it. I thought he looked really good on limited touches, but it *is* concerning he didn't get as much play. Can't recall if he dealt with injuries inseason or not.

I get why you like the trade, he's a great player. I just am never sure trading a mid-high 1st for a player averaging over $20 million is wise unless you're in the window for a championship. Maybe Indy is in that window, but it seems uncertain at best. If Rivers pans out, it will look brilliant (and I'm concerned for my Titans against your colts) but I'm just not seeing Indy as a top SB contender right now.

Nobody expects Rivers to be with the Colts more than 2 years.  He's simply a stopgap QB.

Overplayed narrative. Rivers was very good last year, particularly considering the awful state of the OL he played behind. This year, he will play behind the best OL in the league. Expecting a big rebound.
Stop gap and rebound can work here, it's definitely a short term move.

But does anyone see Rivers as a SB quality QB now? 

I get why you like the trade, he's a great player. I just am never sure trading a mid-high 1st for a player averaging over $20 million is wise unless you're in the window for a championship. Maybe Indy is in that window, but it seems uncertain at best. If Rivers pans out, it will look brilliant (and I'm concerned for my Titans against your colts) but I'm just not seeing Indy as a top SB contender right now.

Stop gap and rebound can work here, it's definitely a short term move.

But does anyone see Rivers as a SB quality QB now? 
If Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, and Jay Schroeder can win a Super Bowl, then Phillip Rivers could too.

Users who are viewing this thread