What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mobbin's favorite 100 rap songs and nostalgia - It's Christmas In Hollis!!! (1 Viewer)

STEADYMOBBIN 22

Footballguy
Update- This is more of a top 100 in no particular order - until the top 10. The top 10 will be my personal favorite 10 songs. 

Enjoy!

Recent thread got me hype to do this but that poster didn't want to continue so I started this thread. Please feel free to chime in, agree, disagree, or just say the list is wick wick wack!

We gonna start this off with some goose bump inducing goodness from the pre-golden age of hip hop  When this came out I was a tiny kid  walking to the local 7-11 everyday for some candy, a Slurpee (with the collector cup hologram coins,)  and our 7-11 even had the arcade game Time Pilot.

Lets get this list bumpin

#100 - RUN DMC's Rock Box 1984 Priority Records

Last edited by a moderator:
#98 EPMD's Strickly Business 1988 Fresh/Sleeping Bag Records

This is the one with Clapton's "I Shot the Sheriff" sample. The Green Eye'd Bandit was my first favorite rapper. He had a cool flow, exuded this sly witty funny dry humor too. Can't really put my finger on it. Obviously I was a big fan. Really only liked PMD on this album and one song he had as a solo artist many years later. 

First time I heard this song we were at our friend's house who always had all the cool new toys and a huge 1980s green freezer in the basement stuffed with TV dinners and all the soda cans we could drink. The freezer looked like this but was this more familiar green color. They also had the first microwave and it still worked and we all used it until the early 2000's when they finally gave it away (Still working!).

Will be following along.  I enjoy me some classic rap tunes, but my knowledge of the genre isn't very wide.  Will be looking forward to some rap tunes with samples, hooks, or actual music (which all seem to be absent from the modern version).

#97 Eazy-E's Boyz-In-The-Hood 1987 Ruthless Records

I was 10 years old. I had no business listening to this song. To be fair I probably didnt hear it until after NWA blew up with Straight out of Compton and we started looking for their earlier stuff at Kemp Mills Records 

As for the nostalgia of the summer of 1987 - My little buddies and I were all latch key kids who rode our bikes to Timbuktu and back. IIRC that summer we were really into Battle Beasts.  This was also the year I got my NES system and The Legend of Zelda as my first game. 

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
#99 - Big Daddy Kane's Aint No Half Steppin 1988 Warner Bros Records

This was before he turned into a half rap/R&B artist and was considered one of the baddest rappers on the planet. By now we were filming rap videos in our basement with this RCA Camcorder rockin British Knights and Sergio Tacchini tracksuits

Good times!
this probably needs to be higher.  I need to see the rest tho.  But this is a top 20 song for me.  And it stands the test of time.  You can throw it on now and it still goes hard.  Its in every DJs rotation. 

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
#98 EPMD's Strickly Business 1988 Fresh/Sleeping Bag Records

This is the one with Clapton's "I Shot the Sheriff" sample. The Green Eye'd Bandit was my first favorite rapper. He had a cool flow, exuded this sly witty funny dry humor too. Can't really put my finger on it. Obviously I was a big fan. Really only liked PMD on this album and one song he had as a solo artist many years later. 

First time I heard this song we were at our friend's house who always had all the cool new toys and a huge 1980s green freezer in the basement stuffed with TV dinners and all the soda cans we could drink. The freezer looked like this but was this more familiar green color. They also had the first microwave and it still worked and we all used it until the early 2000's when they finally gave it away (Still working!).
one of my favorite songs off one of my favorite albums.  One of the best produced albums as well IMO. 

this probably needs to be higher.  I need to see the rest tho.  But this is a top 20 song for me.  And it stands the test of time.  You can throw it on now and it still goes hard.  Its in every DJs rotation. 
I wanted to get off to a hot start but I realized I went way too hard in the paint to start it off. I’ve been working on my list and I can make it work. It just means I need to sharpen my pencil and I’m gonna do a “honorable mention” of 3-5 songs that are right outside the top 100

I wanted to get off to a hot start but I realized I went way too hard in the paint to start it off. I’ve been working on my list and I can make it work. It just means I need to sharpen my pencil and I’m gonna do a “honorable mention” of 3-5 songs that are right outside the top 100
I may have to do my own personal 100.  Ill drop it when you finish. 

# 94 Special Ed’s “I got it made” 1989 Arista Records LLC

While he has another well produced  video where he’s riding in a hovercraft - this was his best song. He came out of nowhere and shocked the world and petty much disappeared as quick as he arrived. He actually made several other albums but I never even knew of them. 

which version though?  i liked the video version better than the album version. 

eta:  nevermind read it quick and thought it was im the magnificent. 

# 94 Special Ed’s “I got it made” 1989 Arista Records LLC

While he has another well produced  video where he’s riding in a hovercraft - this was his best song. He came out of nowhere and shocked the world and petty much disappeared as quick as he arrived. He actually made several other albums but I never even knew of them. 

Ed had a little comeback in 94/95 with Crooklyn Dodgers and Never Go Back. Liked the choppy flow he hit us with.  Video is trash tho:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EQ08UW87BM

I think I wore my Souls Of Mischief 93 'Til Infinity CD straight away from the label I listened to it so much. The guys in the group became the Hieroglyphics crew with Del and others after Souls ran its course. 

Yep, produced by Domino from the not so great Sweet Cherry Pie which will NOT be on this list. :lol:

Del the Funky Homosapian is Ice cubes cousin. 

Yep, produced by Domino from the not so great Sweet Cherry Pie which will NOT be on this list. :lol:

Del the Funky Homosapian is Ice cubes cousin. 
Yeah, that's how he got his entry into the rap world, isn't it? Cube had a weird cousin who rapped and introduced him to everyone or something like that. 

Deltron 3030 is just the cat's meow of an album. Any inclusions on the Mobbin 100 from that one? 

Yeah, that's how he got his entry into the rap world, isn't it? Cube had a weird cousin who rapped and introduced him to everyone or something like that. 

Deltron 3030 is just the cat's meow of an album. Any inclusions on the Mobbin 100 from that one? 
if im not mistaken Del did some writing for cube.  He also wrote for the gurillas in the mist Cubes group.  Del is one of my top 5 favorites!  Check that both sides of the brain album.  it doesnt get enough credit. 

https://youtu.be/PWpH6cRxmoo

if im not mistaken Del did some writing for cube.  He also wrote for the gurillas in the mist Cubes group.  Del is one of my top 5 favorites!  Check that both sides of the brain album.  it doesnt get enough credit. 

https://youtu.be/PWpH6cRxmoo
He apparently did. Da Lench Mob or something like that, according to Wiki. I'll have to check out Both Sides Of The Brain, just to check what sort of production he raps over when he's not collaborating with Dan The Automator.

He apparently did. Da Lench Mob or something like that, according to Wiki. I'll have to check out Both Sides Of The Brain, just to check what sort of production he raps over when he's not collaborating with Dan The Automator.
so that album both sides of the brain he does a bunch of production himself, and also of course loops in Heiro.  Production is different but crazy dope.  he used alot of video game sounds and samples on this album. 

I saw Epmd/stetsasonic/fresh Prince & jazzy Jeff in concert in 1989/90

Tribe called quest in 91 

3rd bass came to my college :lol:

Had an underground tape of house of pain from a bar. 

Wait, no, I did not really pursue my little princess with persistence
And I was so low-key that she was unaware of my existence
From a distance I desired her
secretly admired her
Wired her
a letter to get her, and it went:

My dear, my dear, my dear, you do not know me but I know you very well
Now let me tell you about the feelings I have for you
When I try, or make some sort of attempt, I symp
Damn I wish I wasn't such a wimp!
'Cause then I would let you know that I love you so
And if I was your man then I would be true
The only lying I would do is in the bed with you
Give a try and consider the one who loves you dearly
P.S. Love me tender
The letter came back three days later: return to Sender
Damn!

I saw Epmd/stetsasonic/fresh Prince & jazzy Jeff in concert in 1989/90

Tribe called quest in 91 

3rd bass came to my college :lol:

Had an underground tape of house of pain from a bar. 
That’s dope.  3rd base was my #### too.  Would have loved to see them live.  

Users who are viewing this thread