Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Mobbin's favorite 100 rap songs and nostalgia - #92- Here’s a little story I have to tell....

Update- This is more of a top 100 in no particular order - until the top 10. The top 10 will be my personal favorite 10 songs. 

Enjoy!

Recent thread got me hype to do this but that poster didn't want to continue so I started this thread. Please feel free to chime in, agree, disagree, or just say the list is wick wick wack!

We gonna start this off with some goose bump inducing goodness from the pre-golden age of hip hop  When this came out I was a tiny kid  walking to the local 7-11 everyday for some candy, a Slurpee (with the collector cup hologram coins,)  and our 7-11 even had the arcade game Time Pilot.

Lets get this list bumpin

#100 - RUN DMC's Rock Box 1984 Priority Records

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

#99 - Big Daddy Kane's Aint No Half Steppin 1988 Warner Bros Records

This was before he turned into a half rap/R&B artist and was considered one of the baddest rappers on the planet. By now we were filming rap videos in our basement with this RCA Camcorder rockin British Knights and Sergio Tacchini tracksuits

Good times!

#98 EPMD's Strickly Business 1988 Fresh/Sleeping Bag Records

This is the one with Clapton's "I Shot the Sheriff" sample. The Green Eye'd Bandit was my first favorite rapper. He had a cool flow, exuded this sly witty funny dry humor too. Can't really put my finger on it. Obviously I was a big fan. Really only liked PMD on this album and one song he had as a solo artist many years later. 

First time I heard this song we were at our friend's house who always had all the cool new toys and a huge 1980s green freezer in the basement stuffed with TV dinners and all the soda cans we could drink. The freezer looked like this but was this more familiar green color. They also had the first microwave and it still worked and we all used it until the early 2000's when they finally gave it away (Still working!).

• Like 1
  • Love 2

#97 Eazy-E's Boyz-In-The-Hood 1987 Ruthless Records

I was 10 years old. I had no business listening to this song. To be fair I probably didnt hear it until after NWA blew up with Straight out of Compton and we started looking for their earlier stuff at Kemp Mills Records 

As for the nostalgia of the summer of 1987 - My little buddies and I were all latch key kids who rode our bikes to Timbuktu and back. IIRC that summer we were really into Battle Beasts.  This was also the year I got my NES system and The Legend of Zelda as my first game. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 2:10 PM, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

#99 - Big Daddy Kane's Aint No Half Steppin 1988 Warner Bros Records

This was before he turned into a half rap/R&B artist and was considered one of the baddest rappers on the planet. By now we were filming rap videos in our basement with this RCA Camcorder rockin British Knights and Sergio Tacchini tracksuits

Good times!

this probably needs to be higher.  I need to see the rest tho.  But this is a top 20 song for me.  And it stands the test of time.  You can throw it on now and it still goes hard.  Its in every DJs rotation. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 2:42 PM, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

#98 EPMD's Strickly Business 1988 Fresh/Sleeping Bag Records

This is the one with Clapton's "I Shot the Sheriff" sample. The Green Eye'd Bandit was my first favorite rapper. He had a cool flow, exuded this sly witty funny dry humor too. Can't really put my finger on it. Obviously I was a big fan. Really only liked PMD on this album and one song he had as a solo artist many years later. 

First time I heard this song we were at our friend's house who always had all the cool new toys and a huge 1980s green freezer in the basement stuffed with TV dinners and all the soda cans we could drink. The freezer looked like this but was this more familiar green color. They also had the first microwave and it still worked and we all used it until the early 2000's when they finally gave it away (Still working!).

one of my favorite songs off one of my favorite albums.  One of the best produced albums as well IMO. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

this probably needs to be higher.  I need to see the rest tho.  But this is a top 20 song for me.  And it stands the test of time.  You can throw it on now and it still goes hard.  Its in every DJs rotation. 

I wanted to get off to a hot start but I realized I went way too hard in the paint to start it off. I’ve been working on my list and I can make it work. It just means I need to sharpen my pencil and I’m gonna do a “honorable mention” of 3-5 songs that are right outside the top 100

• Laughing 1

11 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

I wanted to get off to a hot start but I realized I went way too hard in the paint to start it off. I’ve been working on my list and I can make it work. It just means I need to sharpen my pencil and I’m gonna do a “honorable mention” of 3-5 songs that are right outside the top 100

I may have to do my own personal 100.  Ill drop it when you finish. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Is xxxxxxxtentacion on the final?

Baby steps.  We've been sticking to the basics and laying the foundation.  No more Cool Jays or Ice Teas.  Imax has grasped the concept of Lil and Yung so I think that covers 95% of  Soundcloud culture.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

# 94 Special Ed’s “I got it made” 1989 Arista Records LLC

While he has another well produced  video where he’s riding in a hovercraft - this was his best song. He came out of nowhere and shocked the world and petty much disappeared as quick as he arrived. He actually made several other albums but I never even knew of them. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

While he has another well produced  video where he’s riding in a hovercraft - this was his best song. He came out of nowhere and shocked the world and petty much disappeared as quick as he arrived. He actually made several other albums but I never even knew of them. 

which version though?  i liked the video version better than the album version. 

eta:  nevermind read it quick and thought it was im the magnificent. 

Edited by PinkydaPimp
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Ed had a little comeback in 94/95 with Crooklyn Dodgers and Never Go Back. Liked the choppy flow he hit us with.  Video is trash tho:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EQ08UW87BM

• Like 2

#92 Beastie Boys - Paul Revere 1986 Def Jam/Columbia

Licensed to Ill was the first rap tape I ever purchased myself. I wore that cassette out in my JVC boom box with 64 D batteries while chilling outside with friends on the giant green cable boxes in our neighborhood. 

Track is redonkulous. 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

#92 Beastie Boys - Paul Revere 1986 Def Jam/Columbia

Licensed to Ill was the first rap tape I ever purchased myself. I wore that cassette out in my JVC boom box with 64 D batteries while chilling outside with friends on the giant green cable boxes in our neighborhood. 

Track is redonkulous. 

top 5 beat ever!