What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need a location between Georgia & Virginia (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
Looking to spend mid-June through late August in a coastal area (somewhere between VA & GA), preferably near an uncrowded beach. House must have a pool. Currently Outer Banks in NC is the front runner, but it does look like privacy is hard to come by there, which is important to us.

Shtick is welcome, but honest responses are appreciated, being that this is an area of the country I’m not very familiar with (on a hyper-local level).

TIA

Looking to spend mid-June through late August in a coastal area (somewhere between VA & GA), preferably near an uncrowded beach. House must have a pool. Currently Outer Banks in NC is the front runner, but it does look like privacy is hard to come by there, which is important to us.

Shtick is welcome, but honest responses are appreciated, being that this is an area of the country I’m not very familiar with (on a hyper-local level).

TIA
At this point I'd avoid Georgia.

At this point I'd avoid Georgia.
I’ve come to the sad realization that society isn’t going to last bunkered down. Amazingly, when I see people protesting, a lot of them look like they’re overweight, maybe smoke or drink heavily, and sadly they aren’t taking this seriously enough. I’ve been dropping body fat % and running every morning. I’ll be as healthy as I possibly can to survive natural selection. It’s gonna work its way through society, and I’ll be as prepared as I possibly can be to take it on.

Just looking for an area a decent distance from NYC to lay low, isolate for the summer, and be as happy a family as we can be before possibly heading back home.

TIA
Head to the Carova area at the northern end of the OB.  You need a 4 x 4 vehicle though to access it.

I’ve come to the sad realization that society isn’t going to last bunkered down. Amazingly, when I see people protesting, a lot of them look like they’re overweight, maybe smoke or drink heavily, and sadly they aren’t taking this seriously enough. I’ve been dropping body fat % and running every morning. I’ll be as healthy as I possibly can to survive natural selection. It’s gonna work its way through society, and I’ll be as prepared as I possibly can be to take it on.

Just looking for an area a decent distance from NYC to lay low, isolate for the summer, and be as happy a family as we can be before possibly heading back home.
I'd choose a location that isn't using its population as an experiment in pandemic management.

Lake Norman NC

Suburban Charlotte and far from the ocean but some of the lakefront places are well off the beaten path. 

A little spendy but you got NYC cash.
Lakefront is a good idea, in general. Don’t need a pool or worry about a crowded beach. Just hop off the dock into the water.

I’ve stayed at Lake Gaston and Hyco Lake near the NC/VA border in AirBNB type places.

If I had to stay within the area you've specified, I'd probably go Folly Beach/Charleston, SC. I really don't care for Hilton Head. If it were me, I'd rather head to the panhandle- with NYC money, you could get a nice place on St. George Island.

Daufuskee island SC is good for privacy. You have to get there by boat. The place I stayed when I was there was right next to the house of John Cougar Mellencamp and his girlfriend Christie Brinkley!

Lakefront is a good idea, in general. Don’t need a pool or worry about a crowded beach. Just hop off the dock into the water.

I’ve stayed at Lake Gaston and Hyco Lake near the NC/VA border in AirBNB type places.
Yeah, I get the HHI and OBX suggestions but if he is trying to avoid madness, a barrier island heading into Hurricane season is suboptimal.

That's the reason I was suggesting something lakefront. There is also the Lake Marion area of SC as well but that's closer to the coast right off I95. Still not a barrier island though.

Not really possible, unless you are OK with camping? The closest you will come is on the Outer Banks, but you'll need to go to the most inaccessible beaches. Since you said you aren't familiar, there are only 2 roads onto the island and the further you get from these roads, the less crowded it gets. About 45 minutes to the North you come to the last busy town of Corolla, but at the end of town, the road doesn't stop. You can keep driving up the beach and there are houses scattered along the beach for a few miles until you hit the National Wildlife refuge. Some of these houses are very nice w/ pools and since you're at the end of the road, there wouldn't be much crowds. You'd have to have a 4x4 (with required gear) and be comfortable with driving on sand though. The other option would be to head South for about 90 minutes until you hit Hatteras. Once there, get on a 60-minute ferry (with your car) to Ocracoke Island. Ocracoke isn't yet open to the public, but should be soon and would also have your house with a pool and uncrowded beaches. Sounds like a great summer to me, but you may go a little nutty on the island for that long though.  :) . I would recommend buying some surf-fishing gear, a comfortable chair, and a good cooler.

Not really possible, unless you are OK with camping? The closest you will come is on the Outer Banks, but you'll need to go to the most inaccessible beaches. Since you said you aren't familiar, there are only 2 roads onto the island and the further you get from these roads, the less crowded it gets. About 45 minutes to the North you come to the last busy town of Corolla, but at the end of town, the road doesn't stop. You can keep driving up the beach and there are houses scattered along the beach for a few miles until you hit the National Wildlife refuge. Some of these houses are very nice w/ pools and since you're at the end of the road, there wouldn't be much crowds. You'd have to have a 4x4 (with required gear) and be comfortable with driving on sand though. The other option would be to head South for about 90 minutes until you hit Hatteras. Once there, get on a 60-minute ferry (with your car) to Ocracoke Island. Ocracoke isn't yet open to the public, but should be soon and would also have your house with a pool and uncrowded beaches. Sounds like a great summer to me, but you may go a little nutty on the island for that long though.  :) . I would recommend buying some surf-fishing gear, a comfortable chair, and a good cooler.
Thanks for this advice!!

4x4 with required gear, what do you mean by this? I have a massive 3 row AWD SUV, would that be sufficient? I'm a city dweller, this is all new to me. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this advice!!

4x4 with required gear, what do you mean by this? I'm a city dweller, but I have a massive 3 row AWD SUV, would that be sufficient? I'm a city dweller, this is all new to me. 
Yes. If you're going to be there that long, Id carry a shovel, emergency tire traction mats, and a tow strap. Most important thing of all is to always air down to the proper tire pressure (fully pumped tires will get you stuck and/or burn up your engine). Learn where you can connect on the front and back (hitch with a hitch pin), both to tow and to be towed. Watch a few YT vids on how to not get stuck and what to do if you do get stuck. Its all pretty common-sense stuff, but every now and again you hit a soft patch and you'll want to know what to do when it happens. It can get stressful fast when you're stuck near the water during an incoming tide. People are very helpful though and almost everyone will stop and offer a hand if you are stuck.

eta - there's also a tow service available if you need it too, but its expensive.

Yes. If you're going to be there that long, Id carry a shovel, emergency tire traction mats, and a tow strap. Most important thing of all is to always air down to the proper tire pressure (fully pumped tires will get you stuck and/or burn up your engine). Learn where you can connect on the front and back (hitch with a hitch pin), both to tow and to be towed. Watch a few YT vids on how to not get stuck and what to do if you do get stuck. Its all pretty common-sense stuff, but every now and again you hit a soft patch and you'll want to know what to do when it happens. It can get stressful fast when you're stuck near the water during an incoming tide. People are very helpful though and almost everyone will stop and offer a hand if you are stuck.
And @fantasycurse42 - if it comes to this please have your significant other livestream this for our entertainment.

Thanks in advance.  :thumbup:

Thanks for this advice!!

4x4 with required gear, what do you mean by this? I have a massive 3 row AWD SUV, would that be sufficient? I'm a city dweller, this is all new to me. 
The wife and I stayed on the 4WD beaches north of Corolla for a weeks vacation once. You will get tired of dealing with airing up and down your tires, etc. when going into to town. Of course we were doing some sight seeing as well, so maybe hunkering down won't be as bad. Might want learn how to surf fish.

Hilton Head is great.  There are some nice areas around Charleston too.  Kiawah Island was mentioned earlier.  Another one to check out is Isle of Palms. It's another nice location near there with house rentals. 

So are you talking specifically North and South Carolina?

In NC I've stayed all over the Outer Banks from Duck to Ocracoke, 12-15 times.  Emerald Isle, Atlantic Beach, Oak Island, Carolina and Kure beach, Oak Island.  I have a house on Topsail Island that I'm at right now.

In SC I've done Myrtle, Sullivan's Isle & Isle of Palms near Charleston (and visited most of the others around Charleston), Harbor Island, Hilton Head, and Daufuskie Island.

Most are pretty uncrowded, exceptions being Myrtle, and to a lesser extent the Wilmington, Charleston, and Hilton Head beaches and maybe Nags Head in OBX.

Problem is for the time-frame you're talking about you're going to have a tough time finding open rentals.  Honestly you're going to have to go inland for a two month rental 6 weeks out.

Wife and two sons (7 & 4).
I prefer the area north of route 158.  I saw Corolla mentioned already, and I agree.  I stayed there in 2 different rentals, and also stayed in Duck once.  Duck was not as nice.  I just did a quick search.  Gonna be hard finding a place that isn't already booked.

I prefer the area north of route 158.  I saw Corolla mentioned already, and I agree.  I stayed there in 2 different rentals, and also stayed in Duck once.  Duck was not as nice.  I just did a quick search.  Gonna be hard finding a place that isn't already booked.
I highly disagree on this one. Economy is a complete ####hole right now and people are scared. Vacancy rates will be sky high and property owners who rely on the income will suffer. I anticipate huge discounts.

What is your budget? I know coastal NC well. I would recommend something on one of the rivers. Much of that shoreline is still really low population density.  

What is your budget? I know coastal NC well. I would recommend something on one of the rivers. Much of that shoreline is still really low population density.  
3 months, maybe $15k. I suspect some desperate property owners and a house normally that costs $10k a month going as low as $5k. 

I think it's pretty unlikely, but good luck and let me know what you find.
The house I'm currently in by Disney normally rents for $12k a month, I'm paying a fraction of that, over spring break (normally peak season) nonetheless.

The vacancy rates will be abnormally high this summer and owners will have to make tough decisions.  

I think more people will be looking to rent houses than to stay at hotels so prices may not be that low in a few weeks to a month, at least by the summer. I don't think anyone will be giving it away for cheap quite yet and will take a wait and see attitude to try and salvage the summer. 

The house I'm currently in by Disney normally rents for $12k a month, I'm paying a fraction of that, over spring break (normally peak season) nonetheless.

The vacancy rates will be abnormally high this summer and owners will have to make tough decisions.  
Yeah Disney is closed, the beaches won't be.

Yeah Disney is closed, the beaches won't be.
Do you expect the same volume as 2019, because I feel even 50% volume is a stretch? Especially when combining the economic and health situation out there. I don't consider looking at 2019 prices as a benchmark, not even close. Just my .02. 

Drawing a straight line from the exact geographical center of Georgia to the exact geographical center of Virginia......then finding the midpoint of that line......I'm coming up with.......South Belmont, North Carolina. Looks fairly rural and isolated.

Do you expect the same volume as 2019, because I feel even 50% volume is a stretch? Especially when combining the economic and health situation out there. I don't consider looking at 2019 prices as a benchmark, not even close. Just my .02. 
The volume will be lower, but I don't think 50% lower.

The issue is that these places generally rent by the week and they're booked months in advance.  So even with a decline in rentals most places will have weeks rented here and there.  You're not going to find many owners who will kick their weekly rentals out so you can rent for 3 months at a huge discount.

The volume will be lower, but I don't think 50% lower.

The issue is that these places generally rent by the week and they're booked months in advance.  So even with a decline in rentals most places will have weeks rented here and there.  You're not going to find many owners who will kick their weekly rentals out so you can rent for 3 months at a huge discount.
Just need one. That's an owner who will hedge the summer of 2020, ensure bills are paid, survive, and move along. 

Just need one. That's an owner who will hedge the summer of 2020, ensure bills are paid, survive, and move along. 
You don't understand the basic economics of these places, there is a 12-16 week rental period and they're literally vacant the remaining 8-9 months of the year.  They have to make enough high season to get them through the whole year, paying the bills for 3 months isn't going to help them.

If you want to rent September - May you can demand your rates, not June - August.

Something on a lake is a good idea because they can't shut down your private boat dock.  An Upstate SC lake like Keowee would be pretty.

Put me in the camp of gonna be tough to find a place. I suspect more people will be vacationing locally this summer rather than flying, and I'm guessing the beach houses will book up quick as soon as the green light is given. Every beach town up and down the coast will be packed. The ones I mentioned are just the least crowded of the beaches.

LMK if you're willing to consider a 4x4 RV and "roughing it" a bit. Miles of empty beaches out there if you are.  :thumbup:

You don't understand the basic economics of these places, there is a 12-16 week rental period and they're literally vacant the remaining 8-9 months of the year.  They have to make enough high season to get them through the whole year, paying the bills for 3 months isn't going to help them.

If you want to rent September - May you can demand your rates, not June - August.
But this is to my point. If the place is vacant during those times, the owner gets killed. If I can't find one for $15k, I'll just stay in Disney.

I don't understand how these places will be swarmed when unemployment currently sits between 15 & 20%. 

But this is to my point. If the place is vacant during those times, the owner gets killed. If I can't find one for $15k, I'll just stay in Disney.

I don't understand how these places will be swarmed when unemployment currently sits between 15 & 20%. 
My place is open in August if you want to rent it then I'll give it to you for the month for $15k.  Tipsy Turtle

Let's say June/July/August normally gets an owner $30k for his house. Now his prices are going to fall this summer for sure, how much, who knows? But let's say 15%, so now he gets $25k (assuming almost 100% occupied), and then his house is occupied at 65% to what normally happens every summer.

An owner can go through hell to try and pick up 60-70% of a normal summer if lucky, or he can capitulate, take the safety net, and move on. I need to find those owners, and they def exist. 

My place is open in August if you want to rent it then I'll give it to you for the month for $15k.  Tipsy Turtle
Well, since you have a place, I understand the bias. I'd have it too tbh.

Owner of the first house we rented wouldn't discount for me to continue our stay after two weeks. His house has now been vacant for the last 4 weeks... He should've taken my offer :shrug:

ETA:

When negotiating, he pointed to a reservation the 2nd week of April, I knew the outcome, owner refused to believe it; anddddd the reservation canceled (I followed it daily on Airbnb). Guy had me as lifeline and blew it.

This is the Carova area that I mentioned earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread