What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Chargers 2020 Thread - We need an Octavian. We have an Ant(h)ony *** (1 Viewer)

👍  I feel so dirty, but I just can’t quit the Chargers.  Still find myself perusing multiple Charger sites and forums.  
Looking forward to the draft tonight.  If I was Telesco, I’d sign Cam Newton and use the 6 pick on Simmons, Brown, or one of the OTs.   Since that’s unlikely, Tua or Herbert are fine.  

👍  I feel so dirty, but I just can’t quit the Chargers.  Still find myself perusing multiple Charger sites and forums.  
Looking forward to the draft tonight.  If I was Telesco, I’d sign Cam Newton and use the 6 pick on Simmons, Brown, or one of the OTs.   Since that’s unlikely, Tua or Herbert are fine.  
:D

I feel sort of the same. New unis and no more Rivers make this feel like an actual new start now though.

I wouldn't pay much for Newton at this point, and I wouldn't want to get into a cap hit situation from a long term deal. Best available among QB, OT, DT would be my wish list for this draft.

I expected to take my fandom from the Chargers to the Colts, and I do expect to root for the Colts as long as Rivers is there. But I have surprisingly not let go of the Chargers so far. I expect my fandom to fade over time, but for now I'm still in.

Generally like the new uniforms. Not every detail, but good overall.

Zero interest in Cam Newton. If I could, I would say less than zero interest. I think signing him would be about the worst move the Chargers could make at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
The OTs long before Simmons. imo. And while the Chargers could use lots of LB help, much easier landing those guys later than an OT.

Who do we see as the starting QB in December? As a T- Mobile believer I think he will hold off Herbert as long as they are in a win now situation through 2021.

I may be in the minority, but I really like the picks of Herbert and Murray. 

Cannon arm QB and Explosive MLB....c'mon admit you are excited to see them ball.....

Tua is a small fragile dude....

I’m don’t watch enough college football to bag on the Chargers too much for their picks, but I’d be much more excited about a Simmons/Love bounty then the Herbert/Murray bounty we got.   :shrug:

I may be in the minority, but I really like the picks of Herbert and Murray. 

Cannon arm QB and Explosive MLB....c'mon admit you are excited to see them ball.....

Tua is a small fragile dude....
I hope you’re right Dan.  I look forward to hearing reactions from Allen, Williams, and Henry after they get a chance to work out with Herbert.  

I hope you’re right Dan.  I look forward to hearing reactions from Allen, Williams, and Henry after they get a chance to work out with Herbert.  
I assume they'll love him after working out with him. He's a terrific physical specimen with a cannon for an arm.

The problem is that his reads are slow and his accuracy in games is inconsistent.

Maybe those things are fixable...

Both of the Chargers' first-round picks seem like boom-or-bust types, and I do think that is the right strategy. Busts aren't nearly as terrible now as they were in the Ryan Leaf days, when rookie contracts were (relatively) much bigger.

I expected Tua to be gone and would have preferred someone other than Herbert, but the signs were there that the Chargers would take him. I'm not optimistic that he will ever be an upper tier NFL QB for a number of reasons:

1. He has some very strong attributes, but also some notable weaknesses that are concerning.
  2. The Chargers chose not to have a QBs coach on staff after promoting Steichen, which seems like a foolish decision with a rookie QB who is theoretically the team's QBOTF.
  3. I don't know of any reason to believe that Anthony Lynn and Shane Steichen can develop a QB that needs development.
  4. I suspect the Chargers will not have a winning record in 2020, and probably not 2021 either. So it seems possible that Lynn will not last as the coach. That would imply turning over the coaching staff and offensive system during Herbert's formative NFL years. I suppose that could be to his benefit given #2 and #3, but it seems likely to at least slow his development.
I find the Murray trade up and selection to be a strange move for a couple of reasons:

1. With no 2nd and 3rd round pick, the Chargers definitely will not get a near term starter at LT out of this draft. I had mentioned in the other thread that if they didn't choose LT at #6, I  hoped they would consider a trade up into the late first round to draft a LT, because this draft was so strong at the position. So, as of today, Tevi is apparently the opening day starter at LT. :X  
  2. They re-signed Perryman to start at MLB and signed Vigil. They already have Tranquill on the roster, who played great last season and deserves more snaps. Now that they made this move for Murray, he will presumably slot in as the starter at WLB. Given the Chargers' preference for nickel and dime defense, this implies Tranquill won't get many snaps unless due to injury (which is obviously very possible for Perryman given his history). And they apparently will pay Vigil $2.4M to play special teams?
Murray seems like a good player, but taking all of these things together, their collective decisions on LB signings and use of their 2nd and 3rd draft picks seems like a non-optimal use of resources.

IMO there is one way to significantly improve this situation: trade back into the early 2nd to draft Josh Jones or Ezra Cleveland. They could use Desmond King as part of a package to do that, since he has been replaced at slot corner by Chris Harris. I have no idea how likely it is that they could swing it, but that would greatly improve my view of this draft.

Maurile Tremblay said:
I assume they'll love him after working out with him. He's a terrific physical specimen with a cannon for an arm.

The problem is that his reads are slow and his accuracy in games is inconsistent.

Maybe those things are fixable...
Agree.  I have some hope - as this report suggests he's not an imbecile:

In 2019, Herbert became the second player in Pac-12 history to win the William V. Campbell Trophy, also known as the "Academic Heisman." The award "recognizes an individual as the absolute best in the country for his academic success, football performance and exemplary leadership."

Herbert, who graduated with a degree in General Science maintained a 4.01 GPA at Oregon.

Herbert also was a three-time Academic All-America first team honoree (2017, 2018, 2019) and a two-time Academic All-America Team Member of the Year (2018, 2019).

I didn't realize how fast Herbert was, or that he had the best 3 cone time of any QB in the draft.  A scouting report I read suggested that Oregon put the clamps on him and wouldn't allow him to use his legs until the very end of the season.  Perhaps he's far more athletic than given credit for? 

Not crazy about the Herbert pick,  but there is no denying that he is a perfect fit for the type of offense that Lynn wants to run. 

I don't know if I can see his style meshing with Allen though. Rivers used to throw to him just as he was about to get open.  I hope he can learn that skill. 

I will sure miss Rivers' fire though. Herbert personality seems like a complete opposite of Rivers. 

IMO there is one way to significantly improve this situation: trade back into the early 2nd to draft Josh Jones or Ezra Cleveland. They could use Desmond King as part of a package to do that, since he has been replaced at slot corner by Chris Harris. I have no idea how likely it is that they could swing it, but that would greatly improve my view of this draft.
Rumor is that Peryman and Melvin could be used in a trade also.

Here's a list of the 3rd QBs drafted in the top half of the 1st round in the last fifty years:
2020 - Justin Herbert
2019 - Dwayne Haskins
2018 - Josh Allen
2017 - DeShaun Watson
2012 - Ryan Tannehill
2011 - Blaine Gabbert
2006 - Jay Cutler
2004 - Ben Roethlisberger
1999 - Akili Smith
1987 - Chris Miller
1983 - Jim Kelly
1971 - Dan Pastorini

It's a pretty small sample-size, obviously. Make of it what you will.

Rumor is that Peryman and Melvin could be used in a trade also.
I wouldn’t mind trading Perryman, and I didn’t like that re-signing. But I doubt there is any real market for him with his limited skill set and injury history. 

I would be very surprised if Ingram was traded. That would create a big hole in the defense that cannot be filled at this point in the draft. I think they should extend his contract. 

Underwhelmed by the Kelley pick. I don’t know a lot about him, but I understand he is not a threat in the passing game and isn’t a good pass blocker. Doesn’t this make him redundant to Jackson?

Aside from that, I don’t think he was BPA and I think other needs were more important. I hope they didn’t draft him because he played in LA. 

Disappointed they will enter the 5th round without having drafted a player for either line. 

Worrisome stuff about Herbert. From 2020 NFL Draft: Can the Los Angeles Chargers unlock the NFL quarterback within Justin Herbert?:

Herbert's overall accuracy is a giant cause for concern, though. On all throws that traveled past the line of scrimmage, he threw an accurate pass on just 47.6% of his dropbacks. For reference, the quarterback who was picked right above him sits at 59% and the one picked five spots ahead is at 65% in their careers. And that figure for Herbert is propped up by his sophomore and junior seasons, as his accurate pass percentage dropped to 44% with the same criteria as a senior. In his two final seasons, Herbert struggled to put the ball near his receivers. His uncatchable throw rates of 28.1% and 28.6%, respectively, are probably not good enough for NFL standards.

Complete draft assessment:

1. Already posted stuff about Herbert. His success or lack thereof will probably determine whether or not Telesco and/or Lynn are still with the Chargers for the 2022 season.
  2. Already posted about Murray. Like him as a player but IMO he seemed too expensive, and I suspect the Chargers could have gotten more impactful usage from those two picks by standing pat.
  3. Already posted about Kelley. Seemed like a bit of a reach.
  4. Reed seems to have good potential for a 5th round pick, though he seems like a bit of a project at WR with a skill set that overlaps with Ekeler.
  5. Gilman is a real head scratcher. It's just a 6th round pick, but selecting a safety seems to indicate they simply picked him for special teams, not with any expectation that he might one day play defense. I think there were better choices available. Telesco's love for Notre Dame on display here.
  6. Hill seems like a great value in the 7th.
  7. Disappointed that no OL or DL players were drafted.
  8. Telesco puts a high premium on character and leadership (e.g., captaincy). I have concluded that he puts too much weight on that, and it seemingly leads him to overvalue some players (e.g., Murray).

an abysmal draft.....but hey the unis and helmets are cool.

I would of taken Isiah Simmons and traded up for Love if you HAD to have a QB, then again, I would of stayed pat in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Drafted ZERO Oline and DLine players? just terrible.....

I would of taken Isiah Simmons and traded up for Love if you HAD to have a QB, then again, I would of stayed pat in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Who needs an o line when your QB is fast enough to run for his life?

Gotta build it up.  THey know they're a bit away from competing.  I mean look how fast your division got besides you guys.  Has to be the fastest WR division in the league.

Worrisome stuff about Herbert. From 2020 NFL Draft: Can the Los Angeles Chargers unlock the NFL quarterback within Justin Herbert?:

"On all throws that traveled past the line of scrimmage, he threw an accurate pass on just 47.6% of his dropbacks. For reference, the quarterback who was picked right above him sits at 59% and the one picked five spots ahead is at 65% in their careers."
This article feels a little bit click-baity to me. We all know Tua was a #1 pick in the draft WHEN HEALTHY. We also know Burrow just had one of the best statistical seasons in the history of college football. Comparing Herbert at pick #6 to those two players seems unfair to me. The only reason Tua was available was because WAS/DET/NYG are..... well, WAS/DET/NYG. Those teams will be watching Tua go to pro-bowls for years(probably on a rookie contract no less). It's not Herberts fault that multiple teams were stupid enough to pass on Tua.

A much better comp is probably Josh Allen. They are both big, mobile guys with a cannon for an arm. If someone wants to argue those are dated measures of a QB and don't project as well to the modern game and mental processing and accuracy mean more now than ever, I'd buy that. But let's also be clear, Herbert has actually played like a top 3 pick in college before so it's not like he doesn't have the tools to play at a high level. That's where coaching and team building to surround him with talent to be successful come in. If Herbert is a complete failure I think the OC is at least partially to blame here. To me Herbert has more tools than Josh Allen did entering the league and if Josh Allen was there at #6 it would have been a no-brainer for the Chargers to take him there.

I know JWB disagrees with me vehemently on this subject but my biggest criticism of the entire Chargers draft is they should have selected Fromm at pick #151 to be their third QB even after they drafted Herbert. Remember, roster spots are increasing in the new CBA so smart teams that don't have a pro-bowl QB should be using three roster spots on QB to find one imo. Until you find your next pro-bowl quality QB you should be looking for your next pro-bowl quality QB. I wouldn't have been reaching for a third string QB, but if one falls in your lap just take him. I also get that Fromm is a very polarizing prospect... but that's why you are able to get a guy like that in the 5th round. Even if people would have hated that move they should have signed Anthony Gordon after the draft at the very least. Costs you nothing and can probably sit on the practice squad since he went un-drafted. And again, under the CBA taxi squad spots are increasing. The only teams that shouldn't be developing QB's are teams that have such a good QB that they are in a SB window and need a vet that can gut out a few victories for a SB quality roster when QB1 gets dinged up.

It might be decades until they find another Rivers/Fouts. But unless you throw the darts you'll never hit a bullseye.

If telesco has one consistency it is his obsession with the LB position. They still stink against the run. 

Insert, "Oh no, you just don't get it, Denzel Perryman is a GREAT pick!" and "Oh no, you just don't get it, that Perryman extension is very reasonable!".

But hey, you can't judge whether Manti Te'o was a bad pick until YEARS later, right? It's IMPOSSIBLE to tell if it was a bad move on draft day.

Does anyone know if telesco had a family member killed by an offensive lineman? He HATES them! Just HATES them! Could have just sat their and drafted Josh Jones(OT) at pick #71. You'd like to say it's unbelievable, but it's just all too believable for telesco. Even in a year where you are investing a top 10 pick in a rookie QB and have NOTHING at LT. Pretty much par for the course.

Remember, roster spots are increasing in the new CBA so smart teams that don't have a pro-bowl QB should be using three roster spots on QB to find one imo. Until you find your next pro-bowl quality QB you should be looking for your next pro-bowl quality QB.
I agree with this, but it's quite possible that they like Easton Stick better than Fromm.

BoltBacker said:
Remember, roster spots are increasing in the new CBA so smart teams that don't have a pro-bowl QB should be using three roster spots on QB to find one imo.
The Chargers have 3 QBs they intend to carry into the 2020 season already: Tyrod, Herbert, and Stick. I doubt Stick will ever be a startable NFL QB, but the team clearly likes him, that's why they drafted him. So there was no room for Fromm or any other 4th QB.

Also, I do not believe roster size is increasing. My understanding is that it remains 53. Active players on gameday is increasing from 46 to 48 (with certain conditions attached), and teams can now call up 1-2 practice squad players for gameday each week, but then they go back to PS and thus are eligible to be signed by any other team. They also have to pass through waivers to go back to PS every time starting with the 3rd time they are activated on gameday.

Maurile Tremblay said:
I agree with this, but it's quite possible that they like Easton Stick better than Fromm.
I guess it's possible. I mean, telesco/spanos thought the OL they had last year going into the season was going to lead them to a playoff run so it's pretty difficult to guess the depths of their thought process.

The Chargers have 3 QBs they intend to carry into the 2020 season already: Tyrod, Herbert, and Stick. I doubt Stick will ever be a startable NFL QB, but the team clearly likes him, that's why they drafted him. So there was no room for Fromm or any other 4th QB.
Yeah, we've pretty much been over this ground before. 

"Why would they need any depth at C, they just drafted Max Tuerk!? It says 'C' right next to his name."

I suppose using that logic they should just stick with Trey Pipkins at LT. He's only 23yo and it says "LT" right there next to his name. Why would they draft him if they didn't like him? For that matter they liked Trent Scott so much they just signed him to a contract a month ago.... so the team clearly likes him. Gosh, they have an abundance of riches at LT after all. 

Yeah, we've pretty much been over this ground before. 

"Why would they need any depth at C, they just drafted Max Tuerk!? It says 'C' right next to his name."

I suppose using that logic they should just stick with Trey Pipkins at LT. He's only 23yo and it says "LT" right there next to his name. Why would they draft him if they didn't like him? For that matter they liked Trent Scott so much they just signed him to a contract a month ago.... so the team clearly likes him. Gosh, they have an abundance of riches at LT after all. 
I don't know what you are looking for here. I have made all of these things very clear in my posts here in recent years:

1. I think Chargers ownership is among the worst in the NFL.
  2. I don't think highly of the decision-making of this organization.
  3. I don't think Telesco is a good GM, and I don't think his track record of drafting has been good.
  4. I don't think highly of the rest of the Chargers front office and scouting personnel.
  5. I don't think Stick will ever be a quality NFL QB. I think drafting him was a bad decision.
  6. I am skeptical Pipkins will every be a quality NFL LT. I think drafting him was a bad decision.
  7. I think Tevi is a terrible OT. If the team is planning to enter the season with him as the starter at LT, I think that is a bad decision.
  8. I don't think Telesco should have been willing to go into last season with Scott at LT, knowing Okung was out for at least several games. That was a bad decision.
But when we have these conversations, you have to account for what the team has done and is likely to do. They obviously love Tyrod, Herbert, and Stick. I would be happier if they had Fromm as the #3 QB instead of Stick, but IMO it is understandable that they wouldn't draft Fromm or any other 4th QB after Herbert in this draft, given their apparent belief in Stick.

I don't know if you are directing your ire at me, but, if so, you are off base.

It wouldn't be far-fetched. They're both fifth-rounders and Stick has been in the system for a year.
I guess that does make some sense, it would be more difficult to integrate two rookies into a new offensive system than one.

There are some similarities(both lack ideal arm strength) but it just seems to me Fromm has a more proven track record of success against guys that are or will be NFL players. I like his mental approach to the game and he may be a career backup but I have a tough time envisioning Stick ever becoming a #2 QB in the NFL. IMO the only things in the plus column for Stick is he's more mobile and he's been in the system for another year. I guess I weigh being in the system another year less for a third-string quarterback. I didn't think the Stick pick was horrible, it just seems like an obvious upgrade to me to move on to Fromm. Fromm could develop into a 20-40 type QB in the NFL imo. Probably a below average starter(that doesn't mean he can't win if surrounded by talent) to one of the higher end backups in the league. Stick seems more like a 60+ type QB to me, so he has a shot at being a #2 but would only see regular season in a real emergency situation.

Neither of these guys ever hits the field this year unless both Tyrod and Herbert have been knocked out which probably means the wheels have completely come off the chargers season. 

Comments on FBG's Chargers Team Report:

TIGHT ENDS

Starters: Hunter Henry
Backups: Virgil Green, Stephen Anderson

The Chargers took no chances of losing Henry to unrestricted free agency; they franchise-tagged him in March and opened up long-term contract talks. It's easy to see why, as Henry has been one of football's most productive at the position. Dating back to 2016, among 28 tight ends with 150+ targets, only four (Rob Gronkowski, George Kittle, Vernon Davis, and Travis Kelce) have posted more yards per target. He's capable of both stretching the seams and winning near the goal line - 13% of his career catches have found the end zone. A full season of Henry remains tantalizing to fantasy players, especially at such a wild and thinned-out fantasy position. He still carries top-three upside in all formats
Comments:

1. Parham seems much more likely to make the team than Anderson. Seems odd not to mention him.
  2. I don't think Henry has top 3 upside this season. Not with Tyrod, Herbert, and Stick at QB in an offense that the team report points out (rightfully IMO) should have 100-150 fewer pass attempts than last season.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Projected Starters: LT Trey Pipkins, LG Dan Feeney, C Mike Pouncey, RG Trai Turner, RT Bryan Bulaga
Key Backups: OT Sam Tevi, OL Forrest Lamp, OL Storm Norton, OT Trent Scott
Comments:

1. I would be very surprised if Pipkins opens the season starting over Tevi at LT (assuming the team does not bring in another veteran to start).
  2. Odd omission of backup center Quessenberry, who should be a lock to make the final roster.
  3. I don't think Norman stands much of a chance of making the final roster, barring injuries to others.

LINEBACKERS

Starters: MLB Kenneth Murray [R], WLB Nick Vigil
Backups: MLB Denzel Perryman, SLB Uchenna Nwosu, OLB Drue Tranquill, MLB Kyzer White

Starting LBs: Murray, an energetic thumper the team gave up for in Round 1, should start immediately on the inside. The three-year starter from Oklahoma enters the league with serious closing speed and a powerful pop, and he's quick enough to make plays against the pass. Murray is a bit of a freelancer, making plays across the field rather than churning through blocks, and there will likely be growing pains. But at just 21, he has plenty of room for fine-tuning. He boasts sneaky LB1 potential even as a rookie. Vigil has long been a replacement-level player on the second level, but he'll be called upon to start in this shallow group. He lacks the speed and athleticism to chase down plays and has struggled with finishing tackles. It's no certainty he'll hold the weakside job for long - or that he'll even see the field much if he does. The Chargers are flush with talented defensive backs they prefer to put on the field.

Backup LBs: The Chargers invested a second-round pick in Perryman back in 2015, but simply hasn't panned out as a defensive quarterback. He's lost 24 of 80 games to various injuries and looked like a two-down specialist when on the field. With Murray brought in to captain the defense, Perryman will be relegated to a complementary role on early downs. Nwosu enters his third season as a pass-rushing prospect. He was productive at USC and has registered 5.5 sacks over 633 career snaps. Tranquill and White will compete for snaps if Murray and/or Perryman goes down. Both are special-teams types and would shuffle in and out of a platoon if injuries were to strike.
I think whoever wrote this section is way off. IMO:

1. Only 2 starters are listed, but the Chargers are going to start 3 LBs.
  2. Murray is going to start at WLB, not MLB.
  3. Perryman is going to start at MLB. He is carrying a $7.5M cap hit in 2020, and the team could clear more than $5.5M in cap space by releasing him. The fact that they didn't release him (as I thought they should have) indicates their intent.
  4. White is going to start at SLB (aka OTTO), but he is incorrectly listed here as a MLB. Lynn has been quoted on this during the offseason.
  5. Nwosu can play SLB/OTTO, but Egbule, who is not even mentioned here is the backup at that position. Nwosu's primary position is to back up Ingram at DE (aka LEO).
  6. Tranquill will split MLB snaps with Perryman, but he is incorrectly listed here as OLB. He can definitely play WLB, but, with Murray and Vigil brought in this offseason, that would presumably only happen if injuries force it. I assume the team is planning to let Perryman walk after 2020 and make Tranquill the starting MLB.
  7. Vigil will not start or play many defensive snaps, barring injuries. He was a bizarre signing IMO, but I suppose they didn't know at that point they would get Murray in the draft.

DEFENSIVE BACKS

Starters: SS Derwin James, FS Rayshawn Jenkins, CB Casey Hayward, CB Chris Harris, CB Desmond King
Backups: FS Nasir Adderley, CB Michael Davis, CB Brandon Facyson, SS Alohi Gilman [R]

Starting DBs: James was robbed of most of his second NFL season, but returned late to play 99% of team snaps over the final 5 weeks. He didn't make many plays as he worked back into game shape, but was a tackling machine, averaging 6.8 a game. Healthy entering 2020, James again looks like a fantasy DB1. He's just a year removed from a debut that saw him break up 13 passes, intercept 3 more, and record 3.5 sacks. Jenkins played all but seven defensive snaps last year, but was subpar across the board and will have to hold off Adderley, last year's second-round pick, to keep his job next to James. The Chargers' cornerbacks are a truly gifted bunch, though they have some sorting out to do before September. Hayward is an occasionally-dominant cover man on the outside, capable of winning tough battles with top wideouts. But King and ex-Bronco Harris both make their hay in the slot, and it remains to be seen who will line up outside in base sets. Harris has the resume, but he's had past success on the boundary. For his part, King has been smothering in the slot, and he also makes plays on the ball. With Hayward and Harris typically being avoided by passers, King boasts the strongest fantasy potential for leagues that require cornerbacks to start.
Comments:

1. The team didn't give Davis a second round tender, forcing them to pay him $3.26M this season, to be a bench player. It would be a huge surprise if he is not the opening day starter at RCB, assuming he is healthy.
  2. Assuming Hayward and Davis start outside and Harris is the first choice in the slot, it will be very interesting to see how the team handles snaps for Jenkins, Adderley, and King. All of them can play free safety... all of them could play the "dime linebacker" role Phillips played the past couple of seasons... King and Adderley could play the other slot when defending 4 WR sets... King and Adderley could theoretically compete to take over for Davis at some point at RCB if Davis doesn't play well. This is a great problem to have, and odds are that injuries will sort some of this out. This has the potential to be the best secondary in the league.

I started to read that report,  but I stopped after reading the first paragraph describing our offense.  Got me too depressed.  Bad feeling it's going to be ugly.  Uhhg. Hopefully Taylor and Herbert prove me wrong.  

I liked what I saw from the D line this week.

Herbert was better than I'd have expected. He did miss a few throws that could have made the difference at various points during the game. Didn't exactly put the concerns about his accuracy to rest.

Hey, the team is crippled by injuries 1/4 through the season, that's new!

Also, the unforced errors are still a thing. Young team, yada yada yada.

Somehow the story is basically the same even when the pieces change.

Users who are viewing this thread