What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Veterans who lost Fantasy value due to the draft (1 Viewer)

Boone22

Footballguy
I'd like to hear opinions over the next few days as to which fantasy relevant veterans have lost value.  I'll start with a few obvious ones...

1) Damien Williams - with the addition of CEH in the first round, Williams will either be forced to split time (best case) or relegated to back-up status (worst case) starting as early as this season

2) Michael Gallup - with the addition of Lamb, I believe Gallup's target s take a hit.  Now Dallas did lose Jason Witten so that's about 60 TE targets, some of which could go to Lamb at WR but some of which I also assume will be headed back to the TE group... Whether that's Jarwin or someone yet to be named.

3) DeSean Hamilton - with the addition of Jeudy, I think Hamilton's opportunity takes a hit (along with Tim Patrick)

4) Arcega-Whiteside & Greg Ward - With the addition of Jalen Reagor, both these guys lose opportunity and playing time.  Especially considering DeSean Jackson will probably be back in some capacity

Who else do you have?

OJ Howard: the news coming out that they think it’s great having so many great weapons makes me think of anyone is on their way out it’s Brate and his contract. I would have expected a deal to materialize yesterday if one were available. 

Aaron Rodgers: many predicted they take a wr, but instead they take a qb of the future. Still time to add a weapon, but adding an olineman or a wr would have moved him in the other direction. 

DeSean Hamilton has really disappointed...I really thought he had a chance to be a pretty good WR but it looks like it isn't happening...will be interesting to watch the Sutton-Jeudy-Fant dynamic...that has a chance to be nasty trio but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it fantasy-wise, especially with a young QB who is still developing.

DeSean Hamilton has really disappointed...I really thought he had a chance to be a pretty good WR but it looks like it isn't happening...will be interesting to watch the Sutton-Jeudy-Fant dynamic...that has a chance to be nasty trio but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it fantasy-wise, especially with a young QB who is still developing.
With gordon in the backfield as well, i like what they’ve done. Pieces in place, now have to see if they’re the right pieces. An intriguing young offense. 

With gordon in the backfield as well, i like what they’ve done. Pieces in place, now have to see if they’re the right pieces. An intriguing young offense. 
And Lindsay who maybe better then Gordon depending on which Gordon they are getting...if Lock is the real deal there could be some entertaining KC/Denver shootouts coming up in the next few years.

Amari Cooper - A few less targets this year with Lamb added to Gallup. The writing is on the wall for his dynasty value though. His new contract has a cheap out clause after Year 2. Right around the time Dallas should be in poor cap shape with the Prescott, Elliott, Cooper and o-line contracts. I think they move on from Cooper and roll with Lamb and Gallup. It's unlikely Cooper ends up in as good of a situation as the Dallas offense.

All Chargers WR/TE's - For 2020 redraft at least. Not that Herbert was a bad pick but his selection confirms Tyrod Taylor and a rookie will be throwing to the WR's and TE's this season.

Arcega-Whiteside & Greg Ward - With the addition of Jalen Reagor, both these guys lose opportunity and playing time.  Especially considering DeSean Jackson will probably be back in some capacity
I think JJAW's problem is and remains himself.His skill set would compliment Reagor's very well, but he needs to justify the team getting rid of Alshon come season's end.

3) DeSean Hamilton - with the addition of Jeudy, I think Hamilton's opportunity takes a hit (along with Tim Patrick)
I think it hurts Sutton, too. He goes from a potential target monster to one that has to share with a dynamic rookie receiver and may fall to second in the pecking order. 

OJ Howard: the news coming out that they think it’s great having so many great weapons makes me think of anyone is on their way out it’s Brate and his contract. I would have expected a deal to materialize yesterday if one were available. 

You may be right that they want to keep as many receivers and blockers for TB as they can, but Howard wasn't getting traded for a 1st. Could have been used to move up if necessary but it wasn't. 

He'll move today or not at all IMO

All Chargers WR/TE's - For 2020 redraft at least. Not that Herbert was a bad pick but his selection confirms Tyrod Taylor and a rookie will be throwing to the WR's and TE's this season.
Did you expect them to sign Cam or trade for Dalton? Herbert to the chargers was one of the most often predicted picks. Just after Joe and chase. 

You may be right that they want to keep as many receivers and blockers for TB as they can, but Howard wasn't getting traded for a 1st. Could have been used to move up if necessary but it wasn't. 

I agree he wasn’t going to be traded for a 1st, more like 3-4 territory but they want a 2 it sounds like. Just my opinion/feeling that we would know his fate before the draft or maybe be part of a move up package. I also agree there is still time, but coupled with the comments they made I feel like he’s not going anywhere. 

Snorkelson said:
I agree he wasn’t going to be traded for a 1st, more like 3-4 territory but they want a 2 it sounds like. Just my opinion/feeling that we would know his fate before the draft or maybe be part of a move up package. I also agree there is still time, but coupled with the comments they made I feel like he’s not going anywhere. 
I'm not sure how much value to place on the comments, but (as much as I'd like him to go somewhere he'd be used more) keeping him makes sense. 

He might take heat around here and he hasn't lived up to his talent, but I think he'd have a big impact on the Bucs playoff hopes if he stays.  Not good in FF, but good for his actual team.

Lionsfan011 said:
Amari Cooper - A few less targets this year with Lamb added to Gallup. The writing is on the wall for his dynasty value though. His new contract has a cheap out clause after Year 2. Right around the time Dallas should be in poor cap shape with the Prescott, Elliott, Cooper and o-line contracts. I think they move on from Cooper and roll with Lamb and Gallup. It's unlikely Cooper ends up in as good of a situation as the Dallas offense.

I don't think this hurts Cooper much. I thin people forget that Mike McCarthy is coaching Dallas now. They are going to be among the league leaders in pass attempts. Also Gallup comes up the same time as Cooper's year 2 out. So its not like they'd save a ton moving on from Cooper to go Lamb/Gallup. Cooper should also see some major mismatches in the slot, where he is credited as the best slot WR in the NFL, on a per play basis, he just wasn't used there frequently. 

I'm fully expecting a wide open pass 1st offense in Dallas. I could see Cooper in the WR10-15 range, and both Lamb and Gallup in the WR21-30 range. Prescott is probably a top-5 lock right now, with as much upside as anyone short of Jackson/Mahomes.

-OZ- said:

Still hoping for a Trent Williams for Howard trade today (fingers crossed)  :popcorn:

Boone22 said:

4) Arcega-Whiteside & Greg Ward - With the addition of Jalen Reagor, both these guys lose opportunity and playing time.  Especially considering DeSean Jackson will probably be back in some capacity
FWIW, the Eagles and Broncos making a move at WR was already baked into both these guys' fantasy value, or lack thereof. The most recent mock draft over in that forum (wrapped up earlier this week) went 85 WRs deep and neither one of them even came off the board.

I'd love to see PHI or a team like NE send Denver a late-round pick for Hamilton this weekend. I still think he can be a starting NFL WR, but whether it's Lock or the system, something's just not clicking with him there.

FWIW, the Eagles and Broncos making a move at WR was already baked into both these guys' fantasy value, or lack thereof. The most recent mock draft over in that forum (wrapped up earlier this week) went 85 WRs deep and neither one of them even came off the board.

I'd love to see PHI or a team like NE send Denver a late-round pick for Hamilton this weekend. I still think he can be a starting NFL WR, but whether it's Lock or the system, something's just not clicking with him there.
wouldn't mind the Steelers throwing a late round offer out there

I'm fully expecting a wide open pass 1st offense in Dallas. I could see Cooper in the WR10-15 range, and both Lamb and Gallup in the WR21-30 range. Prescott is probably a top-5 lock right now, with as much upside as anyone short of Jackson/Mahomes.
The exact opposite of the thread topic I suppose, but Prescott's gotta be the QB3 at this point, doesn't he? He doesn't have Wilson's or Watson's talent, but he'll have 150 more pass attempts than the former and 3 better WRs than the latter.

The exact opposite of the thread topic I suppose, but Prescott's gotta be the QB3 at this point, doesn't he? He doesn't have Wilson's or Watson's talent, but he'll have 150 more pass attempts than the former and 3 better WRs than the latter.
I'm not sure he doesn't have Watson's talent. Watson has always seemed like a better fantasy QB than NFL QB to me. I wonder where he'll fall without Hopkins. Probably past me anyway.

I think if you are a bold owner, I could see a case for Kyler Murray as QB3, just because his running should be above anyone other than Jackson and maybe Josh Allen, and his passing should take a big leap forward with his 2nd year in the system, plus Hopkins.

Personally, I imagine I'll punt QB a bit, and end up with someone like Brees or Ryan as a starter.

Deebo maybe? Aiyuk is basically a second Deebo. 
I think that would make me less optimistic about Aiyuk than Samuel.

It actually makes Kittle really interesting to me, because he might double as the team's deep threat right now. I felt like Sanders kinda stole that role from him a bit after the trade last year.

I don't think this hurts Cooper much. I thin people forget that Mike McCarthy is coaching Dallas now. They are going to be among the league leaders in pass attempts. Also Gallup comes up the same time as Cooper's year 2 out. So its not like they'd save a ton moving on from Cooper to go Lamb/Gallup. Cooper should also see some major mismatches in the slot, where he is credited as the best slot WR in the NFL, on a per play basis, he just wasn't used there frequently. 

I don’t see how it doesn’t hurt Cooper. He was already sharing targets with Gallup last year and now it’s another big time mouth to feed - plus Zeke catches a good amount of passes. Unless you think the Cowboys are going to immediately become Air Martz with the Rams, that one football is not a lot to fill all those stomachs.

I don’t see how it doesn’t hurt Cooper. He was already sharing targets with Gallup last year and now it’s another big time mouth to feed - plus Zeke catches a good amount of passes. Unless you think the Cowboys are going to immediately become Air Martz with the Rams, that one football is not a lot to fill all those stomachs.
The Cowboys shed 166 targets from the 2019 team when Cobb and Witten left.  It's not much of a stretch to say that Lamb gets the Cobb role (and maybe some of Witten's as well), and there's zero change to the targets that Gallup and Cooper get.

I see deebo going into the mid season Sanders role as the "veteran" of this group.  To me this pick boosted his value where a guy like mims would have hurt it.
Good point. They just seem like similar guys so it kind of surprised me. The 3 rushing TDs and manufactured touches was a nice part of Deebo’s game last year.

Good point. They just seem like similar guys so it kind of surprised me. The 3 rushing TDs and manufactured touches was a nice part of Deebo’s game last year.
I get the feeling that damn near every player on that roster is going to have a package of plays like that.  Wrs might end up with 5-10 carries a game all season.

Funny you mention it, because earlier this afternoon I wrote this in the Aiyuk thread:

But the Niners feel like they've spent an entire decade drafting WRs off the same blueprint - not real big, short-area, quick-twitch guys. Aiyuk, Deebo, Dante Pettis, Trent Taylor, Bruce Ellington ... all the way back to A.J. Jenkins and Quinton Patton in 2012 or whatever. Like they're trying to build an army of Emmanuel Sanders clones without the things (hands and route-running) that make Sanders who he is. And it's not like that list of luminaries I just rattled off means they've somehow cornered the market on an inefficiency, either.
I don't know what it all means for Deebo, but it's definitely not just a one-time coincidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Antonio Gibson to Washinton might put a cramp in the prognosis for Bryce Love.

Very interesting player. Not really a WR yet.

Jamaal Williams/Dexter Williams
I think Aaron Jones, too. He had a lot of ppr value while Adams was hurt. Once Adams came back Jones kept his value due to red zone/goal line carries (to memory anyway). Dillon seems suited to that goal line work.

yesterday i played disc golf with ezekiel elliott's mom's good friend for her first time ever.

i break the news to her slowly.

Because of a day 3 back coming in as a rookie on a team with playoff aspirations and likely no preseason to get up to speed?  Yeah, going to say nothing impacts Conner at this stage.
Yeah he’s a winner so far. I thought for sure they’d have a back by now. Any they draft now with have to beat out Snell just to be active on game day.

Users who are viewing this thread