What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Most athletic looking pros who were busts (1 Viewer)

Zow

Footballguy
The ying to the yang of the unathletic pros thread, this is the thread for guys who looked like they should be really, really good but wound up not being that good. 

I'll start with Brady Quinn. If somebody asked me to draw a perfect QB it would be Quinn. And he wasn't good. 

The ying to the yang of the unathletic pros thread, this is the thread for guys who looked like they should be really, really good but wound up not being that good. 

I'll start with Brady Quinn. If somebody asked me to draw a perfect QB it would be Quinn. And he wasn't good. 
Sacromone, tho ... the possibilities wif a gymnast 🤔

that being said ...

i'll toss Bosworth and Mandarich in for starters. 

Terry Tate. Had all the tools but couldn't quite put it together in the pros.

Last I heard he was working at Felcher & Sons. 

Other choices: 

Cade McNown

Preston Wilson

Takeo Spikes (this isn't entirely fair because Spikes was quite good, but he's the only athlete I've ever seen up close in person where I just couldn't believe his appearance - I don't know how he didn't break guys in half on the field because he looked like one of the Fox NFL robot player animations)

Trent Richardson

Edit for a kind of funny story: When Bama played at Duke while Richardson was at Bama, some fans went walking around on the UNC campus, and they found the facilities unlocked and unguarded. They took a look in the weight room, took pictures, and after comparing the lifting records on display to Richardson's reported maxes, I think there was only one lift Richardson didn't have beaten.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trent Richardson

Edit for a kind of funny story: When Bama played at Duke while Richardson was at Bama, some fans went walking around on the UNC campus, and they found the facilities unlocked and unguarded. They took a look in the weight room, took pictures, and after comparing the lifting records on display to Richardson's reported maxes, I think there was only one lift Richardson didn't have beaten.
Yeah I really thought he was going to be really good. Same with Willie Green. 

Zow said:
Other choices: 

Cade McNown

Preston Wilson

Takeo Spikes (this isn't entirely fair because Spikes was quite good, but he's the only athlete I've ever seen up close in person where I just couldn't believe his appearance - I don't know how he didn't break guys in half on the field because he looked like one of the Fox NFL robot player animations)
Cade McNown?  :lmao:

Woz, I met him a couple of times.  He was listed at 6'1" (no way) and was rather....soft.  Are we talking about the same Cade McNown that went to UCLA and got a lifetime ban from the Playboy Mansion? 

Cade McNown?  :lmao:

Woz, I met him a couple of times.  He was listed at 6'1" (no way) and was rather....soft.  Are we talking about the same Cade McNown that went to UCLA and got a lifetime ban from the Playboy Mansion? 
Yeah I always thought he looked athletic. :shrug:  

Maybe it was the fluid and pretty-looking lefty throwing motion. 

I was a relatively young kid during his time. For some reason, I thought he looked impressive. 
My old boss was #1 Cade McNown fan and was very tight with his mom.  He was also Team Jesus and proudly boasted Cade as his fellow disciple in Christ.  And so Cade came to the office a few times.  Did not look like an NFL QB to me.  Didn't play like one either.  And when he flamed out of the NFL in spectacular fashion (and got the lifetime ban from Hugh Hefner) the fandom died a quick death.  

He was a hell of a QB at UCLA, though.  Fun to watch.  

otb_lifer said:

that being said ...

I'd toss Bosworth and Madarich too. :wub:

My old boss was #1 Cade McNown fan and was very tight with his mom.  He was also Team Jesus and proudly boasted Cade as his fellow disciple in Christ.  And so Cade came to the office a few times.  Did not look like an NFL QB to me.  Didn't play like one either.  And when he flamed out of the NFL in spectacular fashion (and got the lifetime ban from Hugh Hefner) the fandom died a quick death.  

He was a hell of a QB at UCLA, though.  Fun to watch.  
I think that's just what I remember. I'm a Vikings fan and I recall wanting them to draft him and then being disappointed because I didn't know the Culpepper guy (again, I was young). 

otb_lifer said:

that being said ...

Two posts in and the 2 I was going to post get taken.....

otb_lifer said:

that being said ...

I'd toss Bosworth and Madarich too. :wub:
Tony Mandarich was the first guy that came to mind. We know now it was a steroid facade but he was a beast at run blocking in college. And as terrible as he was for the Packers - exposed as a horrific pass blocker - once he got off ‘roids, pain killers & alcohol, he had a couple three productive starter years with the Colts.

He lives out in Arizona now, works as a landscape photographer, been sober 25 years. Everyone thought he was a can’t miss, ten year pro bowler. Ya just never know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drew Henson - Total stud athlete. Went to baseball and struggled to hit. Still think if he had stuck with football he'd've been a good NFL QB.

Ryan Anderson. I went to HS with him. I think he was the #1 prospect in MLB for 5 years in a row. 6'10" lefty with nasty stuff, just couldn't stay healthy 

Users who are viewing this thread