What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Antonio Gibson, NE (2 Viewers)

Hi. I’m the fella that traded away Gibson in redraft two weeks ago for Engram and many chastised me. Just chiming in to say I have bought into the hype train and have an offer on the block of Robinson for Gibson straight up to bring him back to my winning squad. 

I’m not as hyped about him as many here, and neither is my fellow league mate it seems.

Only get to be excited about this guy for a few more minutes then reality comes crashing down.   But I love the hit.  

He looked good on both carries.  Lined up in the slot then motioned into the backfield w McKissic.  Gained 3 on first then the play got blown up for a loss of 4.  Nothing he could do there.  
Oh I saw it. Did not think he looked particularly good other than he was wearing a uni & lined up correctly. :shrug:  

Oh I saw it. Did not think he looked particularly good other than he was wearing a uni & lined up correctly. :shrug:  
He's looked good on his carries this drive too.  He's fast and smooth, just needs a little room. 

That's cool you saw it, I was providing context to those not.  The hype has swung so out of control in favor of him, people are waiting to do the same in when's he opposite way when he inevitably struggles just from referencing the box score.    

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooooo... Inside-outside making cuts and picking up yds (looked just like that one Memphis highlight), but ultimately tripped himself trying to juke.   He's gonna eat recs in the 2nd half when they're down 30

:drool: 

That's cool you saw it, I was providing context to those not.  The hype has swung so out of control in favor of him, people are waiting to do the same in when's he opposite way when he inevitably struggles just from referencing the box score.    
Yep. I have all the games - tuned in at the beginning of that one just to see. 

Didn't catch much of this game on Redzone, but I'm not that disappointed yet. The whole Redskins offense wasn't very good, it seemed like. I pretty much only have him in dynasty, though, so I can afford to wait.

Washington RB Antonio Gibson saw nine carries and two catches for a total of 44 yards against the Eagles. 

The electric rookie broke into the open field on one of his carries, tripping over an offensive lineman on what could have been a long gain. Most importantly for fantasy purposes, backfield mate Peyton Barber -- who scored two touchdowns -- dominated red zone carries against Philadelphia. Gibson was denied near the goal line in the first half, then Barber got the nod near the paint. Barber, who ended with 17 rushes, is clearly going to be a usable fantasy player this season, while Gibson will probably be big-play dependent until the rookie takes a larger share of Washington's rushing attempts. Gibson played 20 snaps against the Eagles; Barber and J.D. McKissic each played 29 snaps. 

- Rotoworld

How is everyone feeling now that we've all come down to reality? I still feel good about the guy, personally, but I have about a 20% pessimistic feeling that Barber holds onto his vulture job all season. 

How is everyone feeling now that we've all come down to reality? I still feel good about the guy, personally, but I have about a 20% pessimistic feeling that Barber holds onto his vulture job all season. 
Fun aside (and there certainly will be more), I agree that the potential is absolutely there. I’m holding him in a very shallow bench league. Time will tell. 

About the same as I was this time last week, but over reacting isn't in my DNA. He fell far enough in one draft for me to justify the dice roll, but I have no expectations of him until October sometime. I plan to re-assess him after the Baltimore game.

Not surprisingly where we are now is somewhere between the unrealistic optimism and the downer pessimism.

Positives: Those who pointed to how he only had a few carries in college and wasn't really a RB were disproven. He got enough carries to show that he is going to be used as a RB and he looked capable.

Negatives: Barber vulturing TDs

I think he is a hold for now.  You can't start him until he starts to get RZ carries and pushes Barber aside and/or gets more passing targets. I do think that will happen but it isn't surprising Washington felt more comfortable trusting a veteran RB in the RZ given that we didn't even have a preseason to see Gibson run in the NFL.  

Great.  Dude got 11 touches in his first NFL game, and his team got a “W.”   When I drafted him ahead of AJ Dillon in early August, this would have been considered a really good week 1 outcome.

There isn't too much rocket science involved with Gibson. Fantastic prospect and Barber/McKissic aren't obstacles (long-term).

Ideally, you already own Gibson (& got him at a reasonable price), but if not, look to buy (maybe from somebody who doesn't have patience).

It's kind of funny reading all these posts of people congratulating themselves for predicting he would suck. Meanwhile he got more yards with his touches than any other wft RB and this was just his 1st game.  It's a little early, don't you think?

I'd really have to think that Rivera & Turner will want to generate something more like the CMC with a lead back who can do it all, not a plodder like Barber. Haskins needs some help back there and he's still not throwing downfield well.

Ron is a smart guy and a good coach. He knows Haskins isn't going to throw for 400 yards and this team win in shootouts. The defense is light years ahead of the offense and the run game is going to be critical for time of possession (otherwise the defense is going to be exhausted if the offense can't stay on the field) Last weekend TWF led the entire league with 7 total punts. I own Gibson in a few leagues and would love to see him take control of the backfield but I'm not sure that's going to happen. Barber doubled his total carries and got all the goal line work. If I owned a voodoo doll of Barber I'd be attacking the eyes, knees, and feet instead of posting on here ;)

When Gibson makes Run JDMC obsolete, I suspect they will start the transition from Barber to Love.  
I hope so. Was definitely disappointed Love wasn't active last week. Not sure if that was health or conditioning related or not though...anyone know? 

It's kind of funny reading all these posts of people congratulating themselves for predicting he would suck. Meanwhile he got more yards with his touches than any other wft RB and this was just his 1st game.  It's a little early, don't you think?
It's not too early to enjoy a victory lap, not when you are planning on fleeing the thread in a few weeks, and spending the next few years trying not to look at the ⭐ next to the thread reminding you of your brutal take. 🙈

You can be annoyed by the "hype", and can also acknowledge that

• the coaches have talked enthusiastically about what they can do with him
  • the team has subtracted Derrius Guice and ADP
  • we KNOW that Barber and McKissick aren't long term answers. 
The guy had 66 touches in college, there was no preseason, and he had 9 carries and two catches in a tough divisional matchup week 1.  Look at it this way:  How many 2nd round rookie dynasty picks had better weeks? 

(Regarding the Peyton Barber stuff:  If you are a Gibson guy, and had plans for him to collect all the goalline work, we should have a quiet word offline, you need some counselling.)

Alex P Keaton said:
Great.  Dude got 11 touches in his first NFL game, and his team got a “W.”   When I drafted him ahead of AJ Dillon in early August, this would have been considered a really good week 1 outcome.
I think someone's opinion in regards to Gibson likely depends a lot on the draft capital invested. Anyone who snagged him late in drafts before his hype really grew is probably very pleased with this Week 1 result. Personally, my draft wasn't until Labor Day, so I had to watch his hype grow like a balloon about to pop before draft day and was forced to take him in Round 5 or watch someone else do so. 

Naturally, I took him in Round 5. So now he's in the weekly discussion for my flex slot just because of where I took him in the draft. 

If that's what you're hoping for from him, then you're likely a bit disappointed. 

I'm trying to maintain some perspective in regards to this being his first ever NFL game, but when you're needing PPR points from him it's a pretty hard thing to do. 

I think someone's opinion in regards to Gibson likely depends a lot on the draft capital invested. Anyone who snagged him late in drafts before his hype really grew is probably very pleased with this Week 1 result. Personally, my draft wasn't until Labor Day, so I had to watch his hype grow like a balloon about to pop before draft day and was forced to take him in Round 5 or watch someone else do so. 

Naturally, I took him in Round 5. So now he's in the weekly discussion for my flex slot just because of where I took him in the draft. 

If that's what you're hoping for from him, then you're likely a bit disappointed. 

I'm trying to maintain some perspective in regards to this being his first ever NFL game, but when you're needing PPR points from him it's a pretty hard thing to do. 
Once the draft is over the place you took a player becomes irrelevant.  Now it's all about performance.  It doesn't matter if the guy was taken in round 2 or 15.  If he is performing then he deserves consideration. 

Best 14th and 12th Round Picks in any of my leagues. Going to be targeting him next week in the one league I don't own him in. 

• Had he not been stuffed on the GL carry, we're talking about how he's ALREADY a fringe PPR RB2 in his first week.
  • He only got 24% of the carries out of the backfield but led the team in rushing yards and doubled anyone else's efficiency. 
  • McKissic was hot garbage receiving (only catching 1 of 5 Targets for no gain)... Gibson caught both his targets. 
IMO, I think he's going to be quite startable as a Flex / RB2 once the bye weeks kick in... and I'm guessing he has 2-3 RB1 weeks before the season is out. 

In any event, he has a very strong chance to be a solid RB2 down the stretch and into the fantasy playoffs. 

:hey:

It could change this week, but I currently have him in over Edelman / Mike Williams / Anthony Miller in 0.5 PPR. Lots of unknowns heading into week 1 so why not swing for the fences?
Edelman or Miller would have won me the game. Dropping this bum asap. ;)

On to next week, and will have the same discussion in my head: swing for the fences with Gibson, or go for the reliable floor of Edelman?

ffmail4me said:
I hope so. Was definitely disappointed Love wasn't active last week. Not sure if that was health or conditioning related or not though...anyone know? 
I expected Love to be inactive.  I think WFT wanted to have two experienced backs in the mix.  I think a Love/Gibson tandem is where they want to go, but it may take several weeks for the younger guys to take over completely

Once the draft is over the place you took a player becomes irrelevant.  Now it's all about performance.  It doesn't matter if the guy was taken in round 2 or 15.  If he is performing then he deserves consideration. 
Yep. Not unlike poker where the calculus changes from one card to the next or one bet to the next. Just because you got dealt aces and put some chips on doesn't mean you shouldnt fold when the board looks terrible and you're getting action. Reevaluation after each event is critical to success. Just because I drafted a guy somewhere doesn't mean ####. 

Users who are viewing this thread