What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Antonio Gibson, NE (1 Viewer)

This guy and James Robinson are the stuff of league winners. A guy in our league has both 
I have both and the rbs i took ahead of them (Bell, Dobbins, Gurley) haven't sniffed my starting lineup barring bye weeks.
Yup.  

Had an incredible Nostradamus'eske rookie draft. 

Four rounds, 1st Gibson, 2nd Higgins, 3rd Claypool, 4th Damien Harris, fist week waivers only claim was Robinson.  

Those TD runs weren't gimmies. People might want to watch them again (especially the 2nd & 3rd). Plenty of RBs wouldn't score on them. Most RBs would've gotten a good chunk of yardage (2nd & 3rd), but his speed/burst allowed him to get into the end zone.

Gibson eats up defensive angles & he's strong. The scary part is he's still got a lot of headroom as a developing runner & a ton of upside as a receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those TD runs weren't gimmies. People might want to watch them again (especially the 2nd & 3rd). Plenty of RBs wouldn't score on them. Most RBs would've gotten a good chunk of yardage (2nd & 3rd), but his speed/burst allowed him to get into the end zone.

Gibson eats up defensive angles & he's strong. The scary part is he's still got a lot of headroom as a developing runner & a ton of upside as a receiver.
I agree. When a RB makes it look easy, that can be a sign in and of itself.

Some people said he was an avoid because they don’t like RBs on bad teams. Now he puts up numbers while on said bad team and they’re saying he isn’t special, anyone could have done it. Alrightttttttt.

Some people said he was an avoid because they don’t like RBs on bad teams. Now he puts up numbers while on said bad team and they’re saying he isn’t special, anyone could have done it. Alrightttttttt.
The 2016 panthers were 6-10, then drafted CMC in 2017. We all know how that turned out. I'm not gonna compare CMC to AG, but sometimes when a player is good, he's good.

Well, some match ups are better than others... and that is true for all players. If you sort by ppg in ppr you will see he is 10th on the board. He is a rookie, and rookies need time to develop. Add in slow start with no preseason and it is a good trajectory he is on. Though next two weeks are tough match ups. But weeks 15 and 16 are good ones. So just hoping I make that deep in the playoffs to use him.  But he’s right there with Robinson and CEH as far as rookies rbs go. So that seems special to me. 
I don’t think CEH is that good yet either tbh. Ive watched him a lot - his vision isn’t great, he fails to read his blockers, he doesn’t get much YAC & seems to dance around behind the line a little too much for my tastes.

haven’t watched enough Robinson to form an opinion yet.

I came back to this topic a while back to give a cap tip to Gibson for being better than I thought he was. Apparently that wasn’t good enough for some folks.

he had a great game against one of the worst defenses I’ve ever seen. 2nd cap tip.   That’s about what I have to give. :shrug:  

Last edited by a moderator:
I said he wasn’t special the whole time, FWIW. 

Now, maybe at some point I’ll have seen enough to change my mind. 

But running for a long TD untouched and uncontested doesn’t impress me. 

the sheer terribleness of the DAL defense impressed me significantly. 

I agree. When a RB makes it look easy, that can be a sign in and of itself.
Or, stick with me here, it could be because it was easy.

Go back and watch his TDs against Dallas. Historically terrible defense.

You could show me a video of Gibson running through a series of linen sheets hanging out to dry & I would have a difficult time telling the difference. 

on the long run where he broke to the outside there literally wasn’t a defender within 10 yards of him the entire run. That the turf monster didn’t trip him up doesn’t make it a special run.

I am not saying he’s not a decent RB. I’m saying I haven’t seen enough to consider him a special talent.he may one day show me enough to change my opinion. This game against the Dallas Hanging Laundry defense was not it. 

You could show me a video of Gibson running through a series of linen sheets hanging out to dry & I would have a difficult time telling the difference. 

on the long run where he broke to the outside there literally wasn’t a defender within 10 yards of him the entire run. That the turf monster didn’t trip him up doesn’t make it a special run.

I am not saying he’s not a decent RB. I’m saying I haven’t seen enough to consider him a special talent.he may one day show me enough to change my opinion. This game against the Dallas Hanging Laundry defense was not 
Yes it was ####ty defense. No you can't hold that against him. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything I just don't get people going out of their way to say he isn't special. It's a little weird. Ok he isn't special. Fine. Why do we care? Are they going to bring someone in to replace him anytime soon? He is a top 10 RB going forward. Full stop. Anything more than that just sounds like sour grapes. 

Yes it was ####ty defense. No you can't hold that against him.
I'm not holding it against him. I am also not going out of my way to credit him for it either. 

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything I just don't get people going out of their way to say he isn't special. It's a little weird. Ok he isn't special. Fine. Why do we care? Are they going to bring someone in to replace him anytime soon? He is a top 10 RB going forward. Full stop.
I didn't go out of my way to say it. I was quoted from a post I wrote in the preseason, and responded to that post. It's not like I stalked this topic to post that. I areee that it was a little weird for someone to resurrect my post from the preseason as though I should be compelled to see a guy differently. And in fact, I don't care all that much. 

But when someone quotes me I occasionally reply. :shrug:  

Anything more than that just sounds like sour grapes. 
Or in my case, casual observation. 

I don’t think CEH is that good yet either tbh. Ive watched him a lot - his vision isn’t great, he fails to read his blockers, he doesn’t get much YAC & seems to dance around behind the line a little too much for my tastes.

haven’t watched enough Robinson to form an opinion yet.

I came back to this topic a while back to give a cap tip to Gibson for being better than I thought he was. Apparently that wasn’t good enough for some folks.

he had a great game against one of the worst defenses I’ve ever seen. 2nd cap tip.   That’s about what I have to give. :shrug:  
You know damn well you can do better. You cooked that pot roast and didn’t offer me not even a small slice. 🤣

I am not saying he’s not a decent RB. I’m saying I haven’t seen enough to consider him a special talent.he may one day show me enough to change my opinion. This game against the Dallas Hanging Laundry defense was not it. 
You are not being fair at all! 

Hanging laundry everywhere are ticked right now. 🤣

I don't understand the opinions that his TD runs were through large holes. Isn't it a good thing that the O-line is opening holes?

You guys make it sound like a bad thing.

Gibson latepick.Robinson a fair amount of faab. Thank god I did it. CMC and Carson’s haven’t been worth a ####.

hashtags.... load upon RBs ,.... at least you can get to the offs 

I'm not holding it against him. I am also not going out of my way to credit him for it either. 

I didn't go out of my way to say it. I was quoted from a post I wrote in the preseason, and responded to that post. It's not like I stalked this topic to post that. I areee that it was a little weird for someone to resurrect my post from the preseason as though I should be compelled to see a guy differently. And in fact, I don't care all that much. 

I just thought it was weird you quoted me since I hadn't directed a single word towards you on any of it. Unless it was in August or something. But I saw about a dozen different people poo poo on Gibson and mentioned it. Then you seemed to think I was singling you out. Wasn't my intention. 

I completely missed and had nothing to do with that. 

I didn't go out of my way to resurrect your post.  I didn't agree with your original post because I saw something special in Antonio Gibson and at that time questioned why you did not see anything special.  We agreed that we would revisit the topic at a later date.

Gibson had been doing well all year and had a monster game which automatically bumps a thread and I recalled this discussion but I had forgotten who I had discussed this with.  Didn't take much effort, found the post and asked if you changed your mind.

You said no, you think he's still meh.  You are not impressed and have not moved your original take.

Antonio Gibson so-far in his rookie season:

• 139 carries 
  • 645 yards
  • 11 rushing TDs
  • 32 receptions
  • 233 receiving yards
He has one more game than most NFL RBs but currently is listed 4th in fantasy points of all RBs in my league.

You said he looked meh in the preseason and you still think he looks meh, ok.

I said he looked special in the preseason and still think so.

I don't understand the opinions that his TD runs were through large holes. Isn't it a good thing that the O-line is opening holes?

You guys make it sound like a bad thing.
Plus on his second TD it looked like he actually saw the hole and turned towards when the play may have been designed to go inside it and then he beats the DB to the endzone despite the DB having a good angle on him. That was one of the more impressive “easy” TDs. And the third one wasn’t as big a hole as it’s being made out to be either - and his burst and speed had a lot to do with that run. It seems overly simplistic to just claim any RB could have scored there. 

In redraft sure, in dyno...Im still on zeke without exception.
I understand that. I firmly believe that Zeke’s dynasty value will match or exceeds Gibson’s again as we get into the offseason. However, points now matter and as a top 2 seed trying to win it all, they may even matter the most. I will regret it if I don’t come away with a title but that’s the risk.

As an additional piece of info, I had just traded for Gibson the week before there. Mixon for Gibson and an early 2nd in a 14 team ppr. So I kind of feel like I’m playing with funny money anyway

Damn I whiffed hard on him at draft time. With Guice and ADP still there combined with the limited college touches and position switch, just seemed like autopass. Give me the second round RB drafted by a team looking to move on from a stud RB whose contract is up this year. 🤢

I don't get the those TDs were easy take. Does anyone play in leagues where TDs are scored more for difficult ones as opposed to easy ones?

Sounds more like a take from guys that missed out on him

Zeke is 25 and Gibson 22; 3 years for a dynasty RB is significant. I don’t think I would trade Gibson for Zeke.

I don't get the those TDs were easy take. Does anyone play in leagues where TDs are scored more for difficult ones as opposed to easy ones?

Sounds more like a take from guys that missed out on him
Yes as a matter of fact. In one league, at the end of each week, we look at each TD scored and assign a sexiness score to it. Then we adjust the scores if those TDs aren't good enough. I win. See, if we were in Germany I'd have to make your bunk, but we're in Italy so you have to make mine. Sorry Imma see myself out and find some coffee.

To be fair in PPR, Zeke just got 2 points, Gibson 36.

Zeke was the better RB this season until this one game, even with Zeke playing as bad as he was.

Perspective. Zeke 12 points behind Gibson after a 34 point advantage this week.

Though for the rest of the season, Id take Gibson too, but as I said, Id want Zeke back once Dak comes back.
Since Dak went down, Gibson has outscored Zeke by 5 ppg in ppr and that’s before this last week’s explosion from Gibson and weak fart from Zeke. Zeke has been an RB1 this season on the back of those first 5 weeks with Dak. A depleted o-line and crap qb situation mean that taking on Zeke is worse than taking on an IR player because at least you don’t try to start the IR player. Zeke is unstartable with Dalton and losing his two tackles.

I get that it’s dynasty but this isn’t the offseason we’re talking here, it’s not value in a vacuum. There are live points to be had. Maybe you and others value them differently but on a champion hopeful team, I’ll take the value of Gibson now vs the value of Zeke later.

And let’s be honest, Gibson probably hasn’t peaked in value yet either. RBs with decent rookie years always get the big bump in the offseason before year 2. Remember how Miles Sanders was going in the fricken 2nd round of start ups mid and late summer? Very good chance that that is Gibson this time around

Gibson is 22 and Zeke is 25.  Gibson is still learning the position and has lots of ceiling yet to grow.  While I can see that Zeke is safer, I would be hard pressed to trade Gibson for Zeke in Dynasty.

Gibson is 22 and Zeke is 25.  Gibson is still learning the position and has lots of ceiling yet to grow.  While I can see that Zeke is safer, I would be hard pressed to trade Gibson for Zeke in Dynasty.
Agreed. Things change fast in FF. Plus, it’s not like Gibson is in a strong situation & riding coattails. 

I just thought it was weird you quoted me since I hadn't directed a single word towards you on any of it. Unless it was in August or something. But I saw about a dozen different people poo poo on Gibson and mentioned it. Then you seemed to think I was singling you out. Wasn't my intention. 
All good my friend. I’m still not upset by anything in this topic other than how terrible the Cowboys are since I finally had a chance to own Zeke and he’s been teh suck. :cry:  

You said he looked meh in the preseason and you still think he looks meh, ok.

I said he looked special in the preseason and still think so.
the beauty of opinions: we all get to have one. Yay! :pickle:  

All good my friend. I’m still not upset by anything in this topic other than how terrible the Cowboys are since I finally had a chance to own Zeke and he’s been teh suck. :cry:  
Real come to hey Zeus moment for me a couple weeks ago when I found myself declining an offer (the first I'd ever gotten) of Zeke plus something else of decent value, for my Henry. It would have torpedoed my team (I think it was during Zeke's bye, too) but took me aback a little at how far Zeke had fallen. Not that Henry shouldn't be worth a touch more, but I think a year or so earlier it would have been heresy.

Washington RB Antonio Gibson (toe) is doubtful to return in Week 13 against the Steelers.

Gibson was spotted on the sidelines getting his left big toe taped and appeared in a serious deal of pain. He began Washington's next drive on the bench with his helmet off. It doesn't look like we'll be seeing Gibson again this week. Gibson ends the day with two carries for 14 yards. He was coming off a three-score game on Thanksgiving but Peyton Barber will likely take on the bulk of the carries for Washington for the rest of the game. J.D. McKissic could also be in line for a few extra totes. 

Dec 7, 2020, 5:33 PM ET

Mario Pilato @mario_pilato

#WashingtonFootball RB Antonio Gibson suffered a toe injury. Prediction: w/ reports he won’t return to the game I expect Gibson to be suffering from a Grade 2. Grade 2 he will miss a week or more.

Users who are viewing this thread