What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Antonio Gibson, NE (8 Viewers)

ANTONIO GIBSON WR, WASHINGTON REDSKINS

The Athletic's Grant Paulsen reports the Redskins want to run more 21 personnel (two running backs, one tight end) with rookie Antonio Gibson and Derrius Guice or Adrian Peterson on the field at the same time.

Redskins declared Gibson as a wide receiver at No. 66 but he'll assuredly transition from Memphis as a multi-purpose weapon. Arguably the most efficient player in the nation (15.6 yards per touch) last year, Gibson led all FBS receivers and running backs in yards after contact per attempt (8.0), mounting an otherworldly 33 broken tackles on 71 touches with the Tigers. Given Washington's lack of offensive weapons, there's clearly more than enough room for Gibson to line up either out wide or in the slot while Guice and Peterson stay glued to the backfield. New Redskins OC Scott Turner previously experimented by giving Curtis Samuel nine carries over Carolina's last four games in 2019, likely envisioning Gibson in a similar role this upcoming year.

SOURCE: Grant Paulsen on Twitter

Apr 25, 2020, 8:23 AM ET

Someone on one of the Redskins forum said his highlights remind them of Kelvin Bryant 2.0. Anyone remember him from the 80s? He was a pass catching RB (out of UNC before they were known for fake classes) and was a really fun player to watch and root for. Never a lead back but very involved in the offense. Guessing no more than a 3rd round pick in a lot of rookie drafts though. 

Someone on one of the Redskins forum said his highlights remind them of Kelvin Bryant 2.0. Anyone remember him from the 80s? He was a pass catching RB (out of UNC before they were known for fake classes) and was a really fun player to watch and root for. Never a lead back but very involved in the offense. Guessing no more than a 3rd round pick in a lot of rookie drafts though. 
That is a very interesting comp...he had a short NFL career but was a USFL stud... if you look at his receiving stats for the Skins for that era you gotta believe they would translate to being much higher with how football is played now....Gibson has me real intrigued as he is in a spot where you can see a path to production.

Redskins selected Memphis WR Antonio Gibson with the No. 66 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

NFL.com's Lance Zierlein reported last week that "only one team" viewed the versatile Gibson (6’0/228) as a wideout. It was apparently the Redskins. Gibson was underutilized at Memphis but arguably the most efficient player in the entire country (15.6 yards per touch). PFF credits him with 16 broken tackles on 33 carries and 17 broken tackles on 38 receptions. Nevertheless, his lack of total production (77 career offensive touches) makes him difficult to project. Gibson ran with power and elusiveness with the ball in his hands but is extremely raw. His vision is a potential concern as a running back, and he didn’t look like a natural receiver when he lined up in the slot, though his 4.39 speed makes him an intriguing, versatile depth option who has special teams experience. Gibson averaged an elite 28.0 yards on his 23 kickoff returns. Gibson is a high-upside weapon for an offense that was short on them in 2020. 

Apr 24, 2020, 9:42 PM ET

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compared Memphis WR/RB Antonio Gibson to New York Giants RB Buck Allen.

Zierlein writes that the 6-foot, 228-pound Gibson possesses "an intriguing combination of size, burst, vision and power," though he also cautions patience for interested NFL parties, noting that the Memphis product will require a "developmental runway" in the pros before his upside might be realized. In combine testing, Gibson's SPARQ percentile in testing was 83.3. He notched a sharp 4.39-second 40-yard dash as part of that testing.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 4, 2020, 10:47 AM ET

Memphis WR/RB Antonio Gibson ran the 40-yard dash in 4.39 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Gibson (6'0/228) and Devin Duvernay tied for the fastest 40-yard dash times among the first group of wideouts to run at the combine. The Memphis speedster is a position-versatile dynamo who could see work at both running back and receiver in the pros. The NFL Network has been talking up Gibson as a likely NFL running back even as he gallops with the wideouts in Indy, for instance.

SOURCE: Marcus Mosher on Twitter

Feb 27, 2020, 6:41 PM ET

Memphis senior WR/RB Antonio Gibson has accepted an invitation to play in the Reese's Senior Bowl.

Gibson (6'2/221) scores a big invite to the most high-profile NFL showcase. He had already been invited to the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl but the Reese's Senior Bowl invitation could mean his profile is intriguing NFL talent evaluators who will now get a look at what Gibson can do against top flight competition. Gibson was a multi-purpose weapon for the Tigers, catching 38 passes for 735 yards, 19.3 YPC and eight touchdowns while logging 33 carries for 369 yards and four touchdowns on the ground. As if that weren't enough, he also returned 22 kicks for 633 yards and a touchdown for the AAC champions. Gibson had previously been considered a UDFA candidate, but he could certainly move into the Day 3 mix with a good showing during the draft evaluation process.

SOURCE: Reese's Senior Bowl on Twitter

Jan 4, 2020, 7:07 PM ET

John Keim @john_keim

Rivera says Gibson has a skill set similar to Christian McCaffrey.. In college, lined up in backfield, in slot a lot too.
https://twitter.com/john_keim/status/1253864392401154048?s=21

Warren Sharp @SharpFootball

👀  Ron Rivera says Gibson has a skill set "similar to Christian McCaffrey":

CMC:    5'11", 202 lbs, 4.48 40

Gibson:  6'0", 228 lbs, 4.39 40

Scott Turner very likely to use Gibson similarly to how his dad used McCaffrey.
https://twitter.com/sharpfootball/status/1253871297983123459?s=21

What would his rookie pick be if Chiefs took him in 3rd round (No CEH)?

1.4?
I doubt it. Vaughn is a better all around RB and went to arguably the second best landing spot and went at  2.06 in my first rookie draft. People's preconceived talent evaluations and draft capital does matter.

If Gibson went to the Chiefs with no CEH I could see him getting taken in the latter half of the first round.

I really don't know what to make of this guy.

I would agree that he is more of a RB than a WR as mentioned in post above, only Washington saw him as a WR.

I haven't seen him running up the middle much in a traditional sense. That is the biggest problem with trying to evaluate Gibson, he has so few actual plays to look at. What I have seen mostly looks great but he wasn't a convincing route runner who looked ready to start at WR to me at all.

Washington picked him higher than I was expecting. I suppose he could be a nice compliment to Guice. The pick makes me worry about their outlook for Guice and if they may be moving in another direction, as indicated by Rivera saying they see Gibson as similar to McCaffrey.

Super difficult for me to try to rank this guy right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt it. Vaughn is a better all around RB and went to arguably the second best landing spot and went at  2.06 in my first rookie draft. People's preconceived talent evaluations and draft capital does matter.

If Gibson went to the Chiefs with no CEH I could see him getting taken in the latter half of the first round.
Vaughn in KCC would be 1.01 if they took him in the 1st or 2nd round.   Maybe even 3rd if that's all they drafted.

If you just swapped Gibson and CEH's draft spots Gibson would be in discussion for 1.02 with Taylor at 1.01.  That tier of Swift/Dobbins/Gibson would be a toss-up with Swift/Dobbins' situations muddying it and Gibson's talent/preparation being the equalizer.

Definitely got my internet now that Rivera compares him to a pass catching RB instead of WR. 

Guice is obviously stout competition for touches,  but he can't stay healthy and was drafted by the old regime.   All things being equal I imagine the coach will go with his guy. 

Crazy deep draft when we are talking about a 3rd round RB not being worth a 2nd round rookie pick.  

Looks 100% like a RB to me. The Jaylen Samuels of this draft class.

The 'tweener thing can go both ways. Tyreek worked out nicely. Kamara and Drake never played WR in college, but had some 'tweener qualities.

I think Gibson is bit poor man version of Deebo Samuel except Gibson is more explosive.  But of course, the sample size of his college production is small, which is difficult to determine his projected position in rookie draft. 

Had Gibson gone to Memphis out of high school instead of a community college for 2 years, no telling where his draft stock would be right now.

Gibson was a RB in high school, but Memphis switched him to WR no doubt due to their depth at RB (Henderson/Pollard/Taylor).

His ceiling is sky-high, but I'm not so sure he doesn't have a super-high floor, as well. Immense raw talent.

High Boom-Bust candidate. I can see him getting a few runs each game on sweeps and reverses, a few screeens, and a few bomb attempts. I worry that he won't get consistent usage and who knows if he can handle it.  Worth an early third round pick in rookie drafts but I am not going to reach.

He was drafted at pick 66 so I think he belongs with what I have as a 3rd tier of RB right now, 

62 AJ Dillon GBP
66 Antonio Gibson WAS
76 KeShaun Vaughn TAM
86 Zach Moss BUF

I am taking 15 players before I consider these RB

High Boom-Bust candidate. I can see him getting a few runs each game on sweeps and reverses, a few screeens, and a few bomb attempts. I worry that he won't get consistent usage and who knows if he can handle it.  Worth an early third round pick in rookie drafts but I am not going to reach.
I have his floor way higher than a potential bust. In fact, Gibson is a rare high-ceiling/high-floor sleeper (dynasty), IMO.

A few quick thoughts:

How in the heck is Memphis getting all this RB talent?

Read an article earlier today were Gibson comped himself to Cordarelle Patterson. Makes sense but not exciting. What I find interesting is who stopped Cordarelle's roll? Norv Turner. People forget Cordarelle was a late second/early third STARTUP pick after his rookie year, I recall doing a startup that year and he Hopkins went about 3 rounds after  him with both of them entering year two.

So we got two wildly different comps for him both with connections with Scott and Norv Turner. We got CMC and on the other hand we got the player himself saying Cordarelle.

Hard guy to get a read but to echo what someone else said the guy is about as boom/bust as it looks.

Ok well I reached for him today at 2.04. I love the way the board is falling for me today and I feel like this is a luxury upside pick. *None* of the RBs in Washington are tied to this new regime except this guy. The CMC coachspeak and his highlight reel have me on board. I got two WRs I love at the top of the 1st in Jefferson and Pittman, and who couldn't use another RB? I also have 2.09 and 2.10 coming up and anticipate another good WR falling. Mims, Aiyuk, Claypool, Edwards, Shenault are all still on the board. Typed too soon there. 

Ok well I reached for him today at 2.04. I love the way the board is falling for me today and I feel like this is a luxury upside pick. *None* of the RBs in Washington are tied to this new regime except this guy. The CMC coachspeak and his highlight reel have me on board. I got two WRs I love at the top of the 1st in Jefferson and Pittman, and who couldn't use another RB? I also have 2.09 and 2.10 coming up and anticipate another good WR falling. Mims, Aiyuk, Claypool, Edwards, Shenault are all still on the board. Typed too soon there. 
I wouldn't consider that a reach. I took him at 17 overall.

Gibson belongs in the tier with Dillon, but typically goes a half-round later or more.

I think he has a very high floor. We'll never know what Gibson could've done had he been featured, but I suspect he would've been MUCH more highly regarded (like early day-2).

I wouldn't consider that a reach. I took him at 17 overall.

Gibson belongs in the tier with Dillon, but typically goes a half-round later or more.

I think he has a very high floor. We'll never know what Gibson could've done had he been featured, but I suspect he would've been MUCH more highly regarded (like early day-2).
Kmet went 2.06 so now two of those 4 WRs will be there. Burrows is still on the board too.

Kmet went 2.06 so now two of those 4 WRs will be there. Burrows is still on the board too.
I took Burrows at 12, but I run an atypical strategy & I'm also loaded at WR. Our QB scoring is high, too (6 pts per TD pass & non-PPR).

BTW, I got Pittman at 20th overall which I thought was a steal.

Hard to make a bad pick in the 2nd round this year.

I can see doing this, as I said earlier there are 15 players I take ahead of him, so this would be the first spot I might take him at 16 if the other 15 fell.

I think he is exciting and if he were to get a majority share of the RB opportunity the upside is enormous. The downside is maybe he is like Patterson and doesn't get the ball much more than Patterson has either.

I am mostly worried about Guice and what that means for Gibsons opportunity if he is healthy

The only thing that would alleviate my uncertainty regarding him would be for me to see more of his plays. There just are not that many plays to see. What I do see looks excellent. 

Gibson is an exciting player and a guy Im rooting for.

ADP might get cut, Guice has a ton of leg injuries, there's room for Gibson to make his mark, for sure.  

I wonder how many dynasty drafters are really hot on Gibson. 
Took him at 2.11 in a standard league I’ve let my RB’s rot too long in. Was kind of hoping for Dillon there but I had him as high as the 6th RB before the draft just given what a physical, pass catching specimen he is.

Got him at 3.06 (38th) in a 16 team IDP league. I'm very happy to put him on my taxi squad for a year to see how he pans out. 

I see alot of Cohen in his game and expect he will see some returns as well. Gonna be fun to watch him grow! 

Got him at 3.06 (38th) in a 16 team IDP league. I'm very happy to put him on my taxi squad for a year to see how he pans out. 

I see alot of Cohen in his game and expect he will see some returns as well. Gonna be fun to watch him grow! 
Nice, it's great to be able to stash backs like that.

Gibson is 6'0" 228. Cohen is......checks notes......5'6" 191 -----I know that wasn't what you meant but I had to look and see how big Gibson was. I'm not even saying you're wrong but if his game looks like Cohen and he has this size then sign me up for a ticket. I want to see what happens. I'm not a huge Cohen fan but he can definitely be electric at times. 

I don't think it was much of a reach. Maybe a little,  but by what,  3-4 spots? Who cares.  This stuff is way more fun when you go with your gut and it works out. For me there's nothing worse than when I over think things to take the "right" pick and watch your guy blow up instead. 

What pick number would be a good place to take him?
I haven't looked at ADP, but I'd say somewhere between 12-20 is fine.

I think you have to take the six first round WRs ahead of him and then I'd have CEH / Taylor /// Swift / Dobbins / Akers higher at RB.

That's 11 guys, and maybe you slide Burrow and Tua in there too if QBs carry value in your league.

I have a tier break after those guys, and I don't think it's a reach to take him beyond that point. I'm not sold on Dillon, Vaughn, or Evans. I don't think I love Moss either, so Gibson might be the first RB name in my third tier. He has the pro-ready frame and the quantifiable athleticism. The question marks would be about running skills and elusiveness. He looks a bit tight in his cuts, reminiscent of Rashard Mendenhall. It's a similar package: size + straight line burst without elite fluidity, but he doesn't have the track record or draft slot that Mendenhall had. I don't think he will make it at WR and the cutting/vision will be challenged a lot more as a full-time RB, so the downside will be a Ty Montgomery type of outcome where he's neither here nor there as a RB/WR tweener. He's bigger with better power than Montgomery, but neither guy is necessarily a natural back. I do think there's some mystery/upside factor there though compared to a lot of his likely ADP rivals, so that's why I think the 12-20 range makes sense. At that point the talent has thinned out and the other options are flawed in their own right. If he flops, it won't burn you too bad.

I don't know much about Gibson, but how does he compare to Lynn Bowden Jr.?  Both seem to be the Swiss Army Knife type of players.

I don't know much about Gibson, but how does he compare to Lynn Bowden Jr.?  Both seem to be the Swiss Army Knife type of players.
I would say Bowden has never played RB and it makes little sense to list and use him as one. 5’11 204 vs. 6’ 228... Gibson played RB in HS and JuCo, Bowden played WR and option QB. I get manufacturing touches for Bowden but a conversion to RB is kind of silly to me.

I took him 2.12 in one league where I just was so thin at RB...I'm surprised he's climbing this high, I figured he was a mid to late 3rd in a lot of leagues. Maybe not! 

Wondering about positional eligibility for this one. He's worth more in ppr as rb for someone going the zero rb way. My feeling is he's more of a receiver where he mostly played in college which also suits his skills better imo. Could still have a huge pay off even as receiver, not only big and fast but also elusive and twitchy - sick dead leg. I think he has as much upside as anybody; but risky because he's far from polished. Is passing this year so to buy in low in 2021 too cute?

Wondering about positional eligibility for this one. He's worth more in ppr as rb for someone going the zero rb way. My feeling is he's more of a receiver where he mostly played in college which also suits his skills better imo. Could still have a huge pay off even as receiver, not only big and fast but also elusive and twitchy - sick dead leg. I think he has as much upside as anybody in the draft; but risky because he's far from polished. Is passing this year so to buy in low in 2021 too cute?
I don't think you're buying low next offseason.

I believe Gibson's upside is as a RB. He's really raw as a WR & probably was moved there only due to Memphis being already stacked at RB with Henderson/Pollard/Taylor. Ironically, I like him way more as a RB than I did Henderson coming out.

Users who are viewing this thread