What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Antonio Gibson, NE (1 Viewer)

LawFitz said:
So he's being compared to McCaffrey now?

Definitely throwing this dude out early in my auction when the horntoads are flush. I find his tape a bit underwhelming compared to consensus reviews and I absolutely hate any talk about a lingering case of the dreaded.
Actually it came from Rivera last year when he was drafted. And it has been repeated here and there a number of times since then. This is hardly the first time. But nobody I have ever read takes that very seriously. There are major stans like me that think he has top 5 upside, but outside of injury nobody like me is really considering that as the same thing as CMC upside. Top 5 and Top 1 are not the same thing. I would feel like I hit a grand slam if I get Top 10 out of him.

But yeah I would throw him out in that auction early for sure. There is no doubt he will get pumped. And I am also a little worried about his toe. I have as many shares as I need right now. 

BobbyLayne said:
Ryan Fitzpatrick played 14 snaps last.

Total RB snaps:
Antonio Gibson 8

JD McKissic 5
Peyton Barber 1

RB snaps with Fitz on 3rd downs:
JD McKissic 3
Peyton Barber 1
Antonio Gibson 0
Gibson had 5 carries and 3 targets. 100% usage. Since we're using half of one quarter of a preseason game we might as well use it right......

https://youtu.be/drLbED_xeoo

Gibson 21 highlights. It's very surprising how decisive he is on inside runs. 

He's still learning, I think. 

I never really noticed, but when he carries ball in his right hand, his left kind of flails a little, exaggerated arm swing. When he's in the open field, he doesn't tuck that arm the way most backs do.

Doesn't do it with right hand when carrying ball in left hand. Right hand will stay tucked. 

Yeah I think it is fair to say he is still learning. Did you mean indecisive here?
Nope.

He has nice jump cuts and smaller, subtle cuts inside, and I LOVE that he makes a cut and goes. Guys start stringing together moves, they get tackled from behind. Javonte last week got me excited for same reason.  To me, Gibson has natural inside instincts. Which is amazing. 

But he carries the ball like a guy who hasn't been coached a lot at RB.

I don't know if it's a negative at all, just an observation watching his highlights, 'that left arm is doing its own thing'. 

Might be like a L'eveon Bell, who did that stop at the LOS thing. No coach would teach that, but he made it work. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah ok, wasn't sure if you were saying he didn't have enough patience. I sure he thought he looked natural from the word go. With some definite rawness to him. I never really paid much attention to the way he carried the ball so I'd take your word for that. As with all the various skills involved, these guys are always working to get better so yeah I'm certainly hoping he takes a 2nd year leap as predicted and can fine tune some of those kinds of things. He is going to get plenty of chances.

LawFitz said:
So he's being compared to McCaffrey now?

Definitely throwing this dude out early in my auction when the horntoads are flush. I find his tape a bit underwhelming compared to consensus reviews and I absolutely hate any talk about a lingering case of the dreaded.
Not saying it is going to pan out but several years ago Vermeil went to KC and said that Priest Holmes was going to be their Marshall Faulk - and everybody laughed

I went back and looked at CMC's preseason usage the year of his breakout.  Short of catching a breather, he was in on every down and situation.  Let's see how Gibson's usage is handed out tonight, but for the most part, I'm out on the CMC role as his trajectory for now.  McKissic is actually great in his recieving role and even though Gib was a WR in college, his route running doesn't shake a stick at CMC and McKissic's. 

That toe worries me as well.

To be fair and honest, the jury has to still be out until we see him compete against 53-man Roster talent on defense, but it's looking like the WFTskins may have found their #3 RB in undrafted rookie Jaret Patterson, who had a great night vs the Bengals. 16/71/1, 3/3/25/0 + a nice KO return. Again, he performed admirably vs the level of competition he was playing against, but that's exactly what one wants to see at this point, and it's very likely he's at least secured a Roster spot with his performance tonight. We'll see what that leads to as the rest of the preseason plays out, and we move into where the games begin to count. Great kid, too. Humble, as he should be, in the post-game interview, but appears confident, in a good way. If it translates vs legit NFL defenders, the WFTskins RB room would be complete, with 3 competent and different RB's who complement each other, and, combined form a diverse group that can present some problems for a defense. Very excited about what this kid might be able to bring to the table.

it's getting crazy in here. its Gibson and a bunch of scrubs. I don't get the forced 'Samuel will take Gibson's carries away' talk. nonsense.

Dr Porras with FantasyPoints has some pent up concern over Gibson's "not 100%" comment. 

"it could lead to workload management and more of a committee than fantasy managers want to see. What gives this situation even more gross-factor is Gibson’s usage and the fantasy community’s assumption he’ll dominate that backfield. What if The Team manages Gibson’s volume to prevent a setback? What if Gibson does have a setback mid-season and misses a drive or — fantasy gods forbid — an entire game? What if the toe is just enough of a bother to cap his (admittedly astronomical) ceiling? 

What concern level is everyone at as we start the season?

Ive got 2 shares... I think I'm around a 3/10.   :unsure:  

Antonio Gibson had 20 rushes for 90 yards in Washington's Week 1 loss to the Chargers, adding three receptions for 18 yards. 

Gibson dominated backfield work against LA despite two crushing fumbles that may have cost Washington the game. J.D. McKissic was a non-factor against the Bolts a year after leading the NFL in running back targets and receptions. He saw one carry and didn't catch a pass against LA. Gibson left the game for a few snaps in the fourth quarter after suffering a shoulder injury that required attention from the Football Team's training staff. He re-entered the game and didn't appear affected by the shoulder issue. Gibson drafters should be highly encouraged by his Week 1 usage. Washington plays the Giants on Thursday night.

20 carries and led the team in targets. 

Workhorse back with goalline duties, 3rd down duties, and homerun speed. 

Trust. 

Speaking of Washington, Antonio Gibson had about 87% of their running back rushes to go along with a 23.8% target share. Last year's averages per game (when not injured): 60.7% and 10.2%. 📈📈📈

Washington Week 1 RB Usage

- Antonio Gibson: 67% snaps, 20 carries, 5 targets 

- JD McKissic: 37% snaps, 1 carry, 1 target

(TBF the 3rd down snaps were nearly exclusively JDM and all 3 Gibson catches were on early downs so not exactly CMC just yet)

Antonio Gibson (shoulder) is active for Week 2 against the Giants.

Gibson wasn't even on the Football Team's final injury report after getting in a "limited" session on Monday. There is no concern for his Week 2 status whatsoever after he out-touched J.D. McKissic 23-1 in the opener. The Giants' run defense sprung some leaks against Denver, though it's not a smash spot, especially on a short week. Inactive for the Football Team are CB Darryl Roberts, DE Shaka Toney, OL Saahdiq Charles and TE Sammis Reyes. 

Sep 16, 2021, 6:59 PM ET

I just stated in another thread..Gibson is open for a screen ### on every single offensive play, ones that would go for min 15 yards every play. the hell is washington doing here?? Gibson should be at 8-98-1, 15-75-1 by now.

It's why I have never wanted a player in a washington offense.they just suck, and almost always have.

Gibson just made a great blitz pickup block. It won't show up in the stats, but that's the kind of play a three down back must make. 

I just stated in another thread..Gibson is open for a screen ### on every single offensive play, ones that would go for min 15 yards every play. the hell is washington doing here?? Gibson should be at 8-98-1, 15-75-1 by now.

It's why I have never wanted a player in a washington offense.they just suck, and almost always have.
Let's hope the staff sees this reviewing the game...a shame how little use he got in the 4th

I think they're managing him tonight. He had a big workload in week 1 and his shoulder got banged up. 
I have to STRONGLY disagree with this.  You don’t “manage” one of your best players when your in a dog fight with a division rival to not start the season 0-2.  You utilize your best players and do everything you can to win.  

I have to STRONGLY disagree with this.  You don’t “manage” one of your best players when your in a dog fight with a division rival to not start the season 0-2.  You utilize your best players and do everything you can to win.  

I agree with this take. Play to win and worry about next week next week

I don't disagree that it shouldn't be done but I can't help but wonder if it did. They didn't even try to establish the run and IMO they should have lost. 

Gibson simply isn't the RB on the field when they are trailing, so he's game script and TD dependent. That makes him a little boom or bust.

That isn't a death sentence by any means, Nick Chubb is an example of that, and even Derrick Henry to an extent, but he's not as talented as those guys, so he needs leads even more. What is worrisome, is that the "vaunted" Washington defense isn't what it was cracked up to be, and that is going to lead to situation where chasing happens, and to date that is McKissic's time.

To be fair to McKissic, like Hunt to keep the comparison going, he has earned these snaps, he's productive when he's out there, and does certainly seem to do certain things better than Gibson, even if Gibson is also capable of doing those things.

These reasons, are why I wanted no part of Gibson until round 3, which resulted in me having zero Gibson shares. I like the guy a lot, but he's still more potential upside than reliable star.

They didn't give it to him when they had a small lead a couple times. They didn't give it to him early. It wasn't just when they were trailing. They specifically did not try to establish the run. Which is strange for them and for him being the weapon he is. It isn't like the game got away from them. I don't know if I said it in the game thread or if I am repeating myself in here but either they were managing him or the playcaller should be fired.

They won in spite of their lack of trying to establish the run. They got lucky. 

Antonio Gibson rushed 13 times for 69 yards in Washington's Week 2 win over the Giants, adding two receptions for four yards.

Whereas Gibson out-touched J.D. McKissic 23-1 in Week 1, McKissic came roaring back this evening, turning nine touches into 93 yards, 56 of which came on a critical fourth quarter reception. For his part, Gibson showed plenty of rushing juice against a tough defensive front, but he was never fully established in what became a surprising shootout. Fill-in QB Taylor Heinicke attempted a whopping 46 passes. For whatever reason, in these kinds of games, the Football Team has decided McKissic is their man. That was never more clear than Washington's two-minute drills, where McKissic scarcely came off the field. Gibson has the pass-catching pedigree to cut into that advantage, but it was wishful thinking to believe everything had changed after a Week 1 where McKissic still played 36 percent of the snaps. Gibson will be a high-end RB2 for a tough Week 3 date with the Bills. 

Sep 17, 2021, 12:26 AM ET

This…pretty obvious on a short week. It’s a long season.

Haters would have a different take

You guys are so funny.  I'm an owner.  I don't think anyone is a 'hater'.  We are all just trying to figure out his value in fantasy football.

Two games in a row his usage has been stinklines....that's concerning whether you dismiss it or not

IDK, his usage in the first game was pretty solid and then this week he was a little banged up coming in and lost touches in the two minute drill...The jury is still out on Gibson.

You guys are so funny.  I'm an owner.  I don't think anyone is a 'hater'.  We are all just trying to figure out his value in fantasy football.

Two games in a row his usage has been stinklines....that's concerning whether you dismiss it or not
McKissic is a bigger thorn in his side than I anticipated. That 1 yard TD run by McKissic was tough to watch.  :cry:

This.  

We can say situational football, etc.  3 minutes and 13 seconds left in a game where they have the lead.  Gibson just gashed NYG for 11 yards - where he showed good vision and patience.  Ran him again for 3 yards and then Heinicke drops back to pass on 2nd down and throws the pick.  Any other team plays the clock situation and runs short routes to your RB.  Gibson was open so frequently in the flat, but Heinicke would always go for the larger plays - which was pretty effective.  I just think we are almost at a 50/50 split, which doesn't bode well for guys selecting Gibson in the 2nd round and a guy (me) hoping he would produce big numbers in Dynasty Leagues.

Nobody is hating on Gibson.  I think people view him as highly competent.  Most Gibson owners are just shocked by the McKissic usage; when AG has shown ability in blitz pickup and always seems to go for positive yards.  

I think the longer season has made timeshares more inevitable and I must be in the minority, but I didn't anticipate this much of a split. 

Users who are viewing this thread