What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Music question: Bands or artists you discovered long after they were in their prime (1 Viewer)

RedmondLonghorn

Footballguy
New music can be fun and interesting, but discovering some artist or group that has been around a long time that you really like is often even better, because there is generally a large back catalog of stuff to explore.

What are some acts that you discovered later in life that you became a big fan of?

I have tons, but a couple that come to mind are:

Killing Joke - original punk rock/post punk act that meandered into industrial 

John Prine (RIP) - country/folk singer-songwriter

Knowing how into music you are, I find both of those shocking.
The Dead didn’t resonate with me for a long time - wasn’t my thing until I heard Europe ‘72.

Ad for Nirvana, they were so overplayed in the early ‘90s that I couldn’t listen. Only until many years later did I appreciate what they contributed.

Grateful Dead

Phish

TV on the radio

Van Morrison

Bob Dylan

Wilson Pickett

Nick cave

Flaming lips

LCD Soundsystem

Tedeshi trucks

M83

Black crowes/Chris Robinson

The Meters

Arcade fire

Elliott Smith

Black Sabbath

The Band

Goodness, too many to name. Immediately jumping to mind are:

The Pixies

Ella Fitzgerald

Older stuff like Sinatra, older Jazz, etc. My grandfather really liked Frank, and had a really nice stereo system for the time. But it was the 80's, so my teen/20-something self was in my closed-minded "all metal, all the time, everything else is weak" stage. God, I wish he was around now so we could crank Old Blue Eyes on my setup together, have a drink, and chat. 

R.E.M. - I was always a lukewarm fan, but finally got into them in a big way late last year
XTC - Got into them big time in 2018, after only knowing a handful of songs by them for decades.
Genesis - Aside from the 80's hits, I knew nothing by them until the late 90's/ear;y 00's, and then it was like finding a goldmine.

I have a ton of these.  In the last month, I've been listening to these artists for essentially the first time:

Glen Campbell

The Clientele

I have a ton of these.  In the last month, I've been listening to these artists for essentially the first time:

Glen Campbell

The Clientele
I really liket these guys. even though something about the sound isn't in my wheelhouse.

Pretty much all music I listen to was recorded before computers and digital mixing. But the one group that really sticks out for me in this category is The Velvet Underground.

Used to detest Simon and Garfunkel. Now I think they were pretty OK.

Despite listening to massive amounts of classic rock radio over the years, and having a serious, long-term, live-in (ex)girlfriend who was a superfan, I didn't really start getting into Bowie until after he died. :bag:

Used to detest Simon and Garfunkel. Now I think they were pretty OK.

Despite listening to massive amounts of classic rock radio over the years, and having a serious, long-term, live-in (ex)girlfriend who was a superfan, I didn't really start getting into Bowie until after he died. :bag:
Been listening to Paul Simon's Graceland album a lot lately.  Soooooooo good.  

Re: Bowie - at the risk of this being very unpopular, I am convinced that for every kick-assssss, awesome Bowie song there are 10 really awful ones.  I'm willing to die on this hill.  There is a LOT of garbage in his lengthy catalog.  

Almost everything I listen to is from bands that I discovered after their prime.  Most of the new stuff I encounter is via Spotify.  They recommend a lot of stuff I don't know based on my two main genres I listen to there of grunge, and classic rock.  I've found a lot of random classic rock tracks I just had never heard played on the classic rock station.

Re: Bowie - at the risk of this being very unpopular, I am convinced that for every kick-assssss, awesome Bowie song there are 10 really awful ones.  I'm willing to die on this hill.  There is a LOT of garbage in his lengthy catalog.  
I thought the same with Queen.  I was excited to check out their catalog last year with Bohemian Rhapsody movie etc.  There were 2 or 3 bright spots outside of the hits.  Some were just downright annoying.

I won't argue either of these points. Graceland is pretty awesome.  

I think the biggest reason I never gave Bowie a shot was because most of the stuff that got heavy airplay didn't do much for me. I never understood the love for the Ziggy Stardust era. His dance pop 80s stuff was good, but way overplayed. But after doing some digging, some of his deeper tracks are astonishing.

Maybe I'm not listening to the right stations at the right times, but I've never heard Heroes on major classic rock radio; only on smaller, non-corporate independent stations and Sirius. Now Heroes is not exactly some obscure b-side, but it never charted, IIRC.  And it never got the love or recognition that much of his catalog received. And it's a flawless got-damn masterpiece. 

Herb said:
I won't argue either of these points. Graceland is pretty awesome.  

I think the biggest reason I never gave Bowie a shot was because most of the stuff that got heavy airplay didn't do much for me. I never understood the love for the Ziggy Stardust era. His dance pop 80s stuff was good, but way overplayed. But after doing some digging, some of his deeper tracks are astonishing.

Maybe I'm not listening to the right stations at the right times, but I've never heard Heroes on major classic rock radio; only on smaller, non-corporate independent stations and Sirius. Now Heroes is not exactly some obscure b-side, but it never charted, IIRC.  And it never got the love or recognition that much of his catalog received. And it's a flawless got-damn masterpiece. 
Yeah, I found Bowie's 80s stuff to be just meh growing up.  I don't have a greater appreciation for it as I've aged.  I think part of the problem for Bowie is that he just churned out a TON of music and kept reinventing himself.  While I admire that, I certainly can't keep up.  

Heroes got covered by The Wallflowers in the 90s and became a big hit for them.  Bowie's version is far and away the better one, but you're right, it wasn't a mainstream Bowie song for radio consumption.  

Let's take Bowie's album Low.  Starts off with Speed of Life, which IMO, is a kick asssssssssss song.  Then the next track, Breaking Glass, ok, kind of funky, some weird breaks, a bit hackneyed, but ok.  And then it just falls off a cliff for me and I can't stomach it.  There's a lot of that in Bowie's work for me.  I've tried to power through it, but I can't.  His genius is obvious, but there is a lot of dreck in there too.

I was late to the game on the whole "rave" scene.  In fact I never even went to one.  But damn do I love me some house/trance music.  I listen to it on Pandora from 8:30-4pm every weekday while working.  

I was late to the game on the whole "rave" scene.  In fact I never even went to one.  But damn do I love me some house/trance music.  I listen to it on Pandora from 8:30-4pm every weekday while working.  
PM me if you want to get some recommendations on individual tracks and artists. Love me some house music!

My Morning Jacket and Wilco, now my two favorite bands, didn’t know who they were 8 years ago.

I grew up into Rock and then metal (especially underground metal death metal in the 80s), so I feel like I missed out on a lot. Some bands I discovered and loved later were:

Joy Division/New Order

The Cure

Slowdive

LCD Soundsystem

Velvet Underground/Lou Reed

David Bowie

Pixies and a bunch of others

Users who are viewing this thread