What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Music question: Bands or artists you discovered long after they were in their prime (1 Viewer)

Not going to list every band because it would be a massive list, but just focusing on radio rock bands that had their peak of popularity in the 90's and that I heard a ton but was indifferent about when they were popular, but then liked more later in the internet age when it was easy to hear more music beyond their singles:

• Smashing Pumpkins 
  • Sound Garden
  • Alice in Chains
  • Faith No More
  • Jane's Addiction
Edit: Maybe did not follow the directions and "discover" the bands, I had heard their songs previously and always knew they existed, I just did not particularly care for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
So many bands. I would say that the bands I was predisposed to dislike but came to appreciate pretty much happened in my twenties, when I went from all sorts of closed-minded about music to open-minded about just about anything.

Grateful Dead is probably the most serious dichotomy there. 

Grateful Dead

I've been a Phish fan since their beginning but didn't like the Dead at all.  Not that they are very much alike, I don't think they are, but everyone always figured you like one you like both.  I didn't.

Somewhere in the early 2000s it clicked for me though and then I started really digging into the Dead archive.  Once it clicked, I couldn't get enough.

I don't think there is another band that I listen to a lot of that falls into this same category. 

David Bowie

Bob Seger's lesser known stuff

LInda Rondstadt

Led Zeppelin

Fleetwood Mac

Elton John

Gordon Lightfoot

Waylon Jennings

Joy Division

Ray Charles

The Supremes

The Beatles

John Lennon

Billie Holliday

I was late to the Dead and Nirvana.
Same but Nirvana to a lesser extant than the Dead.   Didn't care much either way about Nirvana in the 90s,  loved Soundgarden and Alice In Chains though. 

Still think Soundgarden and Alice In Chains are superior bands, can't really choose between them but I listen to a lot more Nirvana the past few years than I ever have.

So many.  That being said I'm early on a lot of great bands too.  Just so much bandwidth.  I was late to the party on quite a few.  Usually I'd go to see a show and then the light bulb went off.  

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

Grateful Dead

Neil Young

Bruce Springsteen

The Who

James Brown

Charles Bradley (saw him at the very end - like James Brown - great)

John Prine 

The Blasters

Bonnie Raitt

Still think Soundgarden and Alice In Chains are superior bands, can't really choose between them but I listen to a lot more Nirvana the past few years than I ever have.
I agree with you about the Dead and appreciate all of these bands mentioned, but I'd listen more to Nirvana before being sold on Soundgarden and AIC as better bands. Nirvana sort of blows them out of the water once Badmotorfinger starts for Soundgarden and nothing AIC released comes close to any of the three Nirvana proper LPs.

I'm like you, in a way. When it came to Seattle-era grunge, I always thought Mudhoney was a better band than Nirvana; I'm pretty convinced Nirvana is the better band upon reevaluation.

Yeah, I found Bowie's 80s stuff to be just meh growing up.  I don't have a greater appreciation for it as I've aged.  I think part of the problem for Bowie is that he just churned out a TON of music and kept reinventing himself.  While I admire that, I certainly can't keep up.  

Heroes got covered by The Wallflowers in the 90s and became a big hit for them.  Bowie's version is far and away the better one, but you're right, it wasn't a mainstream Bowie song for radio consumption.  

Let's take Bowie's album Low.  Starts off with Speed of Life, which IMO, is a kick asssssssssss song.  Then the next track, Breaking Glass, ok, kind of funky, some weird breaks, a bit hackneyed, but ok.  And then it just falls off a cliff for me and I can't stomach it.  There's a lot of that in Bowie's work for me.  I've tried to power through it, but I can't.  His genius is obvious, but there is a lot of dreck in there too.
While I agree that Bowie has a lot of average/meh material, when you are as musically adventurous as he was, bouncing from style to style, not everything is going to stick to landing, and I think he has more than enough good stuff to where it's easy to kinda forget about the bad stuff.  However, I didn't really get into him, outside of the 80's hits and a few classic rock tunes, until the last 15 years or so, so I get it if some are not wowed by him right away.

New music can be fun and interesting, but discovering some artist or group that has been around a long time that you really like is often even better, because there is generally a large back catalog of stuff to explore.

What are some acts that you discovered later in life that you became a big fan of?
It's an interesting question to think about and reflect on.  Not sure this is exactly what you are looking for, but some thoughts anyway.

I don't think a lot of the music I listen to now, I was in on their first few albums.  Not sure if it answers your question but these took going mainstream for me to catch up even though they had several albums prior to this and I try and see these three every time they tour.  :
Metallica - Black Album
Depeche Mode - Violator
Nine Inch Nails - Downward Spiral

Even today I find myself listening to the 90s grunge I listened to in college, but didnt appreciate as much back then:
Alice in Chains, Live, Candlebox, Hole, Garbage to name a few.  I did bye a few albums so maybe they don't count.  But listening to them and some of the albums after they faded from the scene may apply.

I've also found a new appreciatiation for groups from before I was born or could remember:
Pink Floyd & the Beatles.

Maybe someday todays music will apply since I don't listen to it and don't like most of it.  But in 10 years maybe I discover one of today's bands to answer your question with...

X 2.  Been listening to a lot of his stuff recently.   How did I miss this guy? 
First time I saw Prine he hosted a tribute to Steve Goodman six hours at Arie Crown still remember it like it was last night. If you like Prine’s music then you will really enjoy his story telling. Give it a whirl , or anything he did live. 

Elvis Costello for me. “Discovered” him around the Spike days in the early nineties. Not all that late but I would have enjoyed his music in my teenage years. 

Users who are viewing this thread