Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Extortion e-mail

On 4/28/2020 at 8:38 AM, Tom Servo said:

Nice little extortion e-mail I got today; it'd be a shame if I deleted it.

On 4/28/2020 at 8:43 AM, Dan Lambskin said:

First time I got one of those was a little alarming but then I realized jokes on them I don’t even have a webcam

On 4/28/2020 at 8:45 AM, Jedi Knight said:

Got the same e-mail a couple of years ago.  Did nothing.  Nothing further happened.

On 4/28/2020 at 9:02 AM, Brony said:

Got one of these too. 

On 4/28/2020 at 10:15 AM, Zow said:

Same here. 

On 4/28/2020 at 11:17 AM, belljr said:

I just got one of these last week. And it did have the correct old password.

On 4/28/2020 at 11:27 AM, jamny said:

I still get these on occasion 

On 4/28/2020 at 6:36 PM, Moonlight said:

When yahoo was hacked a few years ago got one of these. Password was right but had changed Yahoo password after the hack.

On 4/29/2020 at 12:24 AM, dickey moe said:

Got one of those recently. I felt so ashamed.

On 4/29/2020 at 5:30 AM, brun said:

I've gotten a couple of those in the last few months.

On 4/29/2020 at 7:35 AM, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I got something like this recently as well.

On 4/29/2020 at 9:46 AM, Bossman said:

I received one of these a month ago.

On 4/29/2020 at 2:08 PM, Tecumseh said:

My wife got one of these about a year ago. It took me three days to convince her that she didn't need to pay, and that no, I would not buy any bitcoin for her.

On 4/29/2020 at 4:32 PM, VandyMan said:

Same here. The password was so old I can't even figure out what site I used it on.

FBG targets seem to be mounting.  @Joe Bryant What the heck you doing with our private information?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Laughing 2

Something I was thinking about that is related: Is there ever a reason to pay blackmail? If they ask for $1000 now, what prevents them from asking for $5000 a year from now if they decide they want more money? I feel like you would always be on the hook. Sending a nude photo or a list of adult websites you have been to to your coworkers or parents or whatever? Eh, who cares. It would be temporarily embarrassing, but I think people will understand and get over it quickly. If you did something bad enough where you feel obligated to pay the blackmail, that is on you. There are some exceptions I can think of, (eg being gay in Saudi Arabia), but for stuff like this spam...?

Edited by huthut

13 hours ago, Galileo said:

FBG targets seem to be mounting.  @Joe Bryant What the heck you doing with our private information?

It has been and continues to be our priority to keep any email addresses used to sign up for anything secure. As far as I know, our message board provider, Invision or our membership processor for the website has never had an issue with anything related to FBG.

A quick google search says this bitcoin extortion type email has been an internet thing for a few years. Lots of talk on Reddit about from a year ago. 

I'll ask Keith to check with the companies we work with to make sure everything is ok from our end. 

If you have a specific thing to ask on this, please send me an email at bryant@footballguys.com. Thanks. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

It has been and continues to be our priority to keep any email addresses used to sign up for anything secure. As far as I know, our message board provider, Invision or our membership processor for the website has never had an issue with anything related to FBG.

A quick google search says this bitcoin extortion type email has been an internet thing for a few years. Lots of talk on Reddit about from a year ago. 

I'll ask Keith to check with the companies we work with to make sure everything is ok from our end. 

If you have a specific thing to ask on this, please send me an email at bryant@footballguys.com. Thanks. 

I was just joking around.  Sorry, man, didn't mean for you to waste your time defending your policies or record.

12 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

And here I thought you were going to call in the Hennepin County Internet Crimes unit. :kicksrock:

Yeah, these emails are becoming pretty regular scams. There are literally billions of accounts out there that have been compromised by intrusions at various huge sites over the past few years.

The scammers can buy huge files (one of them has nearly 2.7 billion email/passwords) full of this info and send one of those clumsy-looking form letters to everyone in the file at practically zero marginal cost. If anyone pays them, it's free money.

If someone does get one of these emails with a valid password, it means they've been the victim of one of those intrusions and they should change that password wherever they're using it.

You can find out how many times your personal data has been leaked and what sort of data was revealed in each breach here:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

• Thanks 2