What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Murder of Ahmaud Arbery (1 Viewer)

Sweet J

Footballguy
Gunned down two weeks ago by three men.  He appeared to be jogging through their neighborhood at 1pm.  In a town in Georgia.  They chased him with firearms (two had pistols and one had a shotgun, I believe).

He ended up dead.

They are saying, it appears, that they thought he was a burglar.  And that when they chased him and "approached" him with their guns drawn, he "attacked" them.  So they shot him dead.

The DA wrote a letter saying that there wasn't enough evidence to even arrest those men.

Now a new DA has been given the case.  That new DA is punting to a grand jury.  There are currently no grand juries impaneled.  So potential murderers roam the streets.

This is very upsetting.  

Even if he was a burglar, does that really justify murdering someone?

Really sad story, but sadly I'm not surprised anymore when I see this kind of stuff happening.

The 911 calls show the call taker was asking the men what Arbery is doing that was of criminal concern, Merritt said.

"They didn't give any answer for that, they said, 'He's a black man running down our road,'" Merritt said.

It sounds very bad. I don't understand why the initial DA said there wasn't enough evidence to move forward. 

I certainly get it may just be pure racism. But ... I don't know. Maybe it all is just that simple. Very sad.

It sounds very bad. I don't understand why the initial DA said there wasn't enough evidence to move forward. 

I certainly get it may just be pure racism. But ... I don't know. Maybe it all is just that simple. Very sad.
It's possible that the initial DA's assessment was done before a video was disseminated. I'm not sure if that should make a difference.  

I don't like making this about race, but if a white man was walking/running through a black neighborhood, and he was shot 3 times and killed, I find it hard to believe someone wouldn't be arrested. 

Yea..there's not much to over-think if you look at the overall behavior of this demographic over the last few weeks.

These people feel so empowered right now.  I mean that are openly flying swastikas, nazi slogans, confederate flags not just out in the open but getting into physical altercations with police.

This is a problem.  It's always been a problem, but the fact these people feel more brazen is really troubling.

I don't like making this about race, but if a white man was walking/running through a black neighborhood, and he was shot 3 times and killed, I find it hard to believe someone wouldn't be arrested. 
You, me, and most reasonable people. However, one of the (alleged) murders already did.

"They didn't give any answer for that, they said, 'He's a black man running down our road,'"

What was going on ? Who was filming? Car filming is following victim from afar , looked like the victim swerved around pickup , was the shooter already out? There was a guy on the back of pickup who pulled what looks like a handgun . Who tools around town with a shotgun?  . The video is very jarring to say the least. 

It's possible that the initial DA's assessment was done before a video was disseminated. I'm not sure if that should make a difference.  

You aren't making it about race. It is about race, self-evidently. From the people's reactions to a guy out for a jog, to the DA's inaction in a case that very clearly deserved charges.

Don't fall into the "talking about race is the real racism" trap. It's a device used to try and shut down legitimate discussion of the ongoing racial injustice in this country.

Yea..there's not much to over-think if you look at the overall behavior of this demographic over the last few weeks.

These people feel so empowered right now.  I mean that are openly flying swastikas, nazi slogans, confederate flags not just out in the open but getting into physical altercations with police.

This is a problem.  It's always been a problem, but the fact these people feel more brazen is really troubling.
"These people".  Pretty damn racist way of putting it.  All them rednecks are just racist murderers.  Come on now.  Let's just not judge them on their group.  

How are you defining that class?

I am a southern white guy - if I make the same observation, is it "racist"?
Southern white conservative male commonly referred to as a redneck.  Ragging on them with outrageous generalizarions of being racist nazi's plays well in this forum.  

Southern white conservative male commonly referred to as a redneck.  Ragging on them with outrageous generalizarions of being racist nazi's plays well in this forum.  
Needless to say, I know quite a few Southern white conservative males - most of whom I would not consider "rednecks"

Needless to say, I know quite a few Southern white conservative males - most of whom I would not consider "rednecks"
OK, but were these two guys "openly flying swastikas, nazi slogans, confederate flags not just out in the open but getting into physical altercations with police"?  He is projecting attributes on these two guys based on behavior of other people who look like them.   The evidence may very well show these two guys are racist murders who should be in jail.  But let's not cast judgment based solely on prejudice.  

I am on ignore because you hate southern white people.  Good to see how people roll. 
You keep digging yourself into a bigger hole by making wrong assumption after wrong assumption.

I put a caveat and a description directly after “these people” by saying they were the ones with swastikas and nazi slogans on their signs and murdering black people. No where did I say other than that. 

Your problem is you jumped to a conclusion, acted defensively and made a wrong assumption.

OK, but were these two guys "openly flying swastikas, nazi slogans, confederate flags not just out in the open but getting into physical altercations with police"?  He is projecting attributes on these two guys based on behavior of other people who look like them.   The evidence may very well show these two guys are racist murders who should be in jail.  But let's not cast judgment based solely on prejudice.  
Maybe you should re-read my original post.  I was talk about stuff like this.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/nazi-slogan-sign-displayed-open-illinois-rally-ripped/story?id=70480524

I recall reading that one of the men involved in the shooting worked for the DA as an investigator 

You keep digging yourself into a bigger hole by making wrong assumption after wrong assumption.

I put a caveat and a description directly after “these people” by saying they were the ones with swastikas and nazi slogans on their signs and murdering black people. No where did I say other than that. 

Your problem is you jumped to a conclusion, acted defensively and made a wrong assumption.
It's The Real Victim Here Wednesday here at the FBG.

Please drop the slaps back and forth. Please. I've got a ton more things I need to be doing than trying to referee this. 

Please drop the slaps back and forth. Please. I've got a ton more things I need to be doing than trying to referee this. 
Then go do those things.

Grow a damn spine and eliminate the forum.

Grow a damn spine and confront your "friends" that don't like the forums.

Grow a damn spine and confront your "Facebook friends" on your own instead of relying on feedback from the forums.

There are so many unanswered questions. 2 dumbasses in a pickup truck, patrolling the neighborhood with guns. To me, it looks like the victim isn't jogging, he's not exactly wearing the gear. It looks like he is chasing after a pickup truck, with the person . Whatever happened , this appears to be another self-defense rollercoaster. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There are so many unanswered questions. 2 dumbasses in a pickup truck, patrolling the neighborhood with guns. To me, it looks like the victim isn't jogging, he's not exactly wearing the gear. It looks like he is chasing after a pickup truck, with the person . Whatever happened , this appears to be another self-defense rollercoaster. 
He was jogging. And the guys in the pickup truck armed themselves and gave chase based on this simple piece of information: "there is a black man in our neighborhood, and he is running".

He was jogging. And the guys in the pickup truck armed themselves and gave chase based on this simple piece of information: "there is a black man in our neighborhood, and he is running".
Who shot the video?... Why did they turn the camera on? were they apart of the plot? 

This horrible story doesn't add up. 2 dumbasses in a pickup truck, with guns patroling the neighborhood. To me, it looks like the victim isn't jogging, he's not exactly wearing the gear. It looks like he is chasing after a pickup truck. Whatever happened , this appears to be another self-defense rollercoaster.
He has on a T-shirt, shorts and sneakers. What more does he need to go for a jog?

He has on a T-shirt, shorts and sneakers. What more does he need to go for a jog?
It doesn't really matter, I asked because i know who jogs in my neighborhood. It appears it happened really close to his house. This case is going to come down to 2 guys trying to take the law into their own hands. They get attacked and now it's self-defense. Sound familiar?

If he was chasing after the pickup truck, the pickup truck driver wanted to be caught because I doubt that guy can run fast enough to catch up to a moving pickup truck

It doesn't really matter, I asked because i know who jogs in my neighborhood. It appears it happened really close to his house. This case is going to come down to 2 guys trying to take the law into their own hands. They get attacked and now it's self-defense. Sound familiar?
Yes, it sounds familiar.  A black man is dead at the end.  

There is nothing he possibly could have been doing that justify there actions. They need to be on jail for a very long time 

There is nothing he possibly could have been doing that justify there actions. They need to be on jail for a very long time 
I agree but i will have to wonder if he didn't attack 2 armed dumbasses in pickup truck would he be alive today?

Users who are viewing this thread