What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (5 Viewers)

8.12 - Rush - Exit...Stage Left

My name is Mr. Ected, and I am a Rush Fan. I humbly apologize.

I'm pretty sure there are a couple more in here, so I need to grab this because in 70ish picks, it may not be here.

I love this album, it is my 'go to' for listening on Spotify if I just need music I like while I am doing stuff when I have my AirPods on. It is a great summary of the first portion of their career, before the 'Keyboard-era' really began. Love the title, shows their fun-side; yes it is from the The Pink Panther cartoon and was his 'go to line' when leaving a situation. The album cover is my favorite. Back when music had artwork, it was a great way to sum up the previous albums, with a reference to each album somewhere on the cover.

So as to not truly offend the true Rush-haters out there I am chasing two of my favorites from this album that are not with Geddy's so-called screechy voice and are not 10+ minutes long.

1) Spirit of Radio
2) Red Barchetta
I see the cherry has finally been popped. I might have taken them earlier, but it's a deep pool of albums to choose from.
I have a deep pool in my back yard.

Lots of ways I debated on going with this pick, but I decided to go with something newer. I was introduced to this band in another music draft here so it’s fitting to take in this one. Yo Mama selects:

8.22 - Spoon - Hot Thoughts (2017)

1 - Hot Thoughts

2 - WhisperI’llistentohearit

3 - Do I Have to Talk You Into It

4 - First Caress

5 - Pink Up

6 - Can I Sit Next to You

7 - I Ain’t the One

8 - Tear it Down

9 - Shotgun

10 - Us

For songs, Ill go with:

Can I Sit Next to You

WhisperI’lllistentohearit
❤️

"Can I Sit Next to You"  is such a great song.

(also love the title track from this album)

Lots of ways I debated on going with this pick, but I decided to go with something newer. I was introduced to this band in another music draft here so it’s fitting to take in this one. Yo Mama selects:

8.22 - Spoon - Hot Thoughts (2017)

1 - Hot Thoughts

2 - WhisperI’llistentohearit

3 - Do I Have to Talk You Into It

4 - First Caress

5 - Pink Up

6 - Can I Sit Next to You

7 - I Ain’t the One

8 - Tear it Down

9 - Shotgun

10 - Us

For songs, Ill go with:

Can I Sit Next to You

WhisperI’lllistentohearit
I saw them on this tour and there was an issue with the power right when they come on and they played  "Do I Have To Talk You Into It" basically acoustic in the dark. One of my favourite accidental concert moments ever. Probably because of that, I would have gone with that song and whisperi'lllistentohearit

8.24: 11 - The Smithereens (1989)

While there are still several other albums to go, this one and other two I picked contain most of their greatest songs. Even if the rest of them get sniped moving forward, I'll be pretty happy having these three. Fun fact: according to the liner notes, the 60's all-girl band The Honeys provided backing vocals on two of the tracks.  For those not familiar with them, they were part of the original surf music scene and provided backing vocals for Jan and Dean as well as the Beach Boys. Apparently Brian Wilson took enough of a shine to one of them as to father two girls with her, whom most of us know as Wendy and Carnie of Wilson Phillips fame.

Songs for the Spotify list: Room Without a View and for you fans of the glockenspiel, Yesterday Girl.

@Long Ball Larry, your turn.

I saw them on this tour and there was an issue with the power right when they come on and they played  "Do I Have To Talk You Into It" basically acoustic in the dark. One of my favourite accidental concert moments ever. Probably because of that, I would have gone with that song and whisperi'lllistentohearit

Also, I didn't get around to answering the question last night because I wanted to give a more complete answer, but this Spoon show, my wife came to me with. She used to come to tons of shows with me but she doesn't really want to see bands over and over again, with a few exceptions.

I have one main concert buddy, who @Steve Tasker knows pretty well now too between festivals and concerts in Buffalo but if there's a concert he won't go to with me, Mrs. NV always will. I probably go to approx 12 concerts a year and she'll come to 3-4 or of them either because they're bands she likes or because I really want to go and she wants me to have company and/or wants a night out in Toronto with dinner out, a hotel, etc... :lol:

Also, I didn't get around to answering the question last night because I wanted to give a more complete answer, but this Spoon show, my wife came to me with. She used to come to tons of shows with me but she doesn't really want to see bands over and over again, with a few exceptions.

I have one main concert buddy, who @Steve Tasker knows pretty well now too between festivals and concerts in Buffalo but if there's a concert he won't go to with me, Mrs. NV always will. I probably go to approx 12 concerts a year and she'll come to 3-4 or of them either because they're bands she likes or because I really want to go and she wants me to have company and/or wants a night out in Toronto with dinner out, a hotel, etc... :lol:
I need a new concert crew.  My wife never wants to go.  

I'm gonna have to bow out soon. Can someone take my next two picks? If one or both get sniped, then I can be skipped until tomorrow.

Shuffle results:

Is She Really Going Out with Him (Joe Jackson) - 5.5. It's fine, but never was a favorite.

Holidays in the Sun (Sex Pistols) - 9. Not everybody's cup of tea, but it's definitely mine.

One Big Holiday (My Morning Jacket) - 7. Never heard this before, but I like it pretty well.

Gentle Moon (Sun Kil Moon) - 7.5. Ditto above, but I like it even a little more.

Cities (Talking Heads) - 6. Never heard this before. I don't hate it.

Bell Bottom Blues (Derek & the Dominoes) - 8. Great classic tune.

Jack the Stripper/Fairies Wear Boots (Black Sabbath) - 6.5. Solid tune(s?) but my goodness is it long. Closing in on Iron Butterfly territory here.

Sweet Child O' Mine (Guns 'n' Roses) - 9.5. Can't think of a better power ballad, ever. 

Debaser (Pixies) - 6.5. Love the feedback and the song; vocals are a bit grating.

Magic Man (Heart) - 4. Not a fan. Heart is literally from my hometown (though we went to different high schools), but I just don't like this one.

I’m pretty sure you were the one who introduced Spoon to me in the 6+ word song title draft a while back. They’ve been heavy in my rotation since, so a big thanks!

Oh lucky day!  I've been on Google Play (and Amazon Music here and there) for the past, I don't know, seven or eight years.  I just discovered some Spotify playlists I'd have otherwise forgotten from now to eternity.  Two songs in and I have an album queue-worthy.  I'm gonna go not vape.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have one main concert buddy, who @Steve Tasker knows pretty well now too between festivals and concerts in Buffalo but if there's a concert he won't go to with me, Mrs. NV always will. I probably go to approx 12 concerts a year and she'll come to 3-4 or of them either because they're bands she likes or because I really want to go and she wants me to have company and/or wants a night out in Toronto with dinner out, a hotel, etc...
My wife didn't want to go to see them at the Ryman so I took my oldest daughter.  Front row center balcony.  She is now a Spoon fan.

Users who are viewing this thread