What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (4 Viewers)

I changed my mind a couple more times, but I feel really good about this pick.  1995, my pledge year again.  This is one of those records I play often, and all the way through.  Always improves my mood.  I saw them in like 96 at Lala in VT.

Rancid - And Out Come the Wolves

Songs are 

Journey to the End of the East Bay and...

Olympia Washington

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a big prog rock crowd, so doubt I would get sniped here by more than a handful of folks. A brilliant, sprawling gem though that I need to have.

9.03: King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King (1969)

Will post songs for this and Cat tomorrow.

I changed my mind a couple more times, but I feel really good about this pick.  1995, my pledge year again.  This is one of those records I play often, and all the way through.  Always improves my mood.  I saw them in like 96 at Lala in VT.

Rancid - And Out Come the Wolves

Songs are 

Journey to the End of the East Bay and...

Olympia Washington
One of my favorite albums.  It has a lot of energy and is great when working out.  

Not a big prog rock crowd, so doubt I would get sniped here by more than a handful of folks. A brilliant, sprawling gem though that I need to have.

9.03: King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King

Will post songs for this and Cat tomorrow.
MFer!!!!!!!!!! ####KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

:MELTDOWN:

further reaction 

AND YOU DIDN'T EVEN POST THE YEAR DAMMIT!!!  DON'T WORRY ...I HAD IT ON MY LIST ALREADY!!!

Doug B said:
8.21: Captured, Journey

(link to full double album)

1. Majestic
2. Where Were You
3. Just the Same Way
4. Line of Fire
5. Lights
6. Stay Awhile
7. Too Late
8. Dixie Highway
9. Feeling That Way / 10. Anytime
11. Do You Recall
12. Walks Like a Lady
13. Lă Do Dā
14. Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'
15. Wheel in the Sky
16. Any Way You Want It
17. The Party's Over (Hopelessly in Love)

(Spotify picks bolded.)
Journey is one of those bands that teeters on the fence for me.   They tick me off because they could have and should have been better but sold out.    Neil Schon’s guitar playing always pulls me in though.  He is a big a hole but can really, really play guitar.  

9.06 - Inner Mounting Flame, Mahavishnu Orchestra

The greatest album that no longer matters. There is more life inside it than any recording i know.

Meeting of the Spirits

You Know You Know

i think that's it for the records i would be really pissed not to have with me. i can happyshop now -

@PIK95
Oh damn! Did not know this was on someone else’s radar.

”Meeting of the Spirits” is phenooooooooooomenal.

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
wow... only had one album, but when the mood was right- perfect. amazing lineup too.

here's the track I'd go with.

Round 8

Neil Young Live at Massey Hall 1971 (released 2007)

With 3 NYoung's off the board, I'll take my new favorite album of his. I am getting an education doing live albums. It lacks my favorite songs. I avoided tracks from the chosen albums. If any of you like me let this slip through the cracks, recommended. 

Afaict @Northern Voice hasn't picked tracks from Harvest Moon. At least they're not on the playlist. 

I wanted to go deeper with some of these songs (you should), but I decided these acoustic versions are meant for the playlist.

Old Man (calls it a new song about his ranch, talks a bit sorry)

Ohio

Also since Redmond and I both took Nutshell from AiC, change mine to Rooster from Unplugged.

Round 8

With 3 NYoung's off the board, I'll take my new favorite album of his. I am getting an education doing live albums. It lacks my favorite songs. I avoided tracks from the chosen albums. If any of you like me let this slip through the cracks, recommended. 

Afaict @Northern Voice hasn't picked tracks from Harvest Moon. At least they're not on the playlist. 

I wanted to go deeper with some of these songs (you should), but I decided these acoustic versions are meant for the playlist.

Ohio

Also since Redmond and I both took Nutshell from AiC, change mine to Rooster from Unplugged.

so you've shown us your rooster. interesting.

Round 8

Ohio

Oh, #### off

I think this may be the one @Abrantes was referring to a couple pages back that is surprisingly not picked. So influential and so good. Pinnacle of punk rock IMO, (sorry RA)

9.09 - The Ramones - The Ramones (1976)
I don't remember exactly, but weirdly enough, I think it was My Morning Jacket I meant, not because of VBD, but because FFA. :lmao:  

Fantastic pick. Still some huge names making their first appearances this past round or so.

KarmaPolice said:
I will add songs and more later so we can make the turn now.   This was one of the harder decisions of the draft so far.  I wanted a couple albums that were a little bit more rocking (assuming harder/metal could slide a little), but there were 3 that I had in mind.  At the end of the day I landed on:

8.xx:  SOUNDGARDEN - SUPERUNKNOWN (1994)

The Day I Tried to Live    Just might be my favorite Soundgarden song

Superunknown

As I said in the last draft, 0 chance I would go to an island without my favorite drummer to listen to.   The Aenima pick forced my hand even more, but this is my favorite of their albums.

9.01:  TOOL - LATERALUS (2001)

The Grudge   - The build up from Maynard's scream at the 7:00 to the buildup of the drums to the Danny drum explosion at the 8min mark until the end of the song gives KP the tingles every time.  

Parabola
Decided on songs.  For fans of Tool and Danny Carey fans, I have pimped this youtube rabbit hole before, but HERE is a link to a guy who does amazing drum covers and has done a big handful of Tool ones.   I've watched these videos so many times.  Gives a great idea of what Carey is doing.  I have to go this route because Tool is so reclusive it's hard to get good concert vids of them playing to get an idea of what's going on back there.  That last 30secs = :boner:

Also, I think it was @Nigel Tufnelwho asked if there were albums that we have come across that haven't held up like we have expected.   I would say not yet, but I have not started to dig too deep down yet.  Mostly these are albums that I still listen to a ton and know I love.  However, what I have been finding lately is that my preference in albums from a band has shifted a bit in the past years.  Maybe old age, maybe switching to something I didn't listen to quite so much?   The one the did pop into mind is Superunknown.  Not that I don't think the other albums don't hold up, but this morphed into my favorite from the one before it.  And unusual for me - I actually don't mind and don't skip over the radio hits from this album and band.  Usually the overplayed hits are why I prefer other albums to seemingly more popular ones from a band - ie liking Animals over Dark Side.   I am sure as we dig into Rounds 20+ I will be exploring even more and stumble on something that doesn't quite hold up for me anymore that I thought might be a draft selection.  

Round 8

Ohio

My mom was at this concert.

Users who are viewing this thread