What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (2 Viewers)

Also, I think it was @Nigel Tufnelwho asked if there were albums that we have come across that haven't held up like we have expected.
Mine was a band who I think maybe has only had one album drafted and I thought one of their later albums was my favorite of theirs but it didn’t hold up for me. Suffered from bad ‘80s production. I doubt it’ll get drafted but I’ll discuss if it does. 

9.10 - Grimes - Art Angels (2015)

I think I drafted this early in the first round of the 2010s album draft we had somewhat recently, but I'm just gonna pick it again because it's ####### fantastic and she's maybe my single favorite artist of the decade.  Sorry for ruining the playlist.  Prayers up for X Æ A-12.  Kid's in for a wild ride.

"World Princess Part II"  :wub:

"Kill V. Maim"

I think this may be the one @Abrantes was referring to a couple pages back that is surprisingly not picked. So influential and so good. Pinnacle of punk rock IMO, (sorry RA)

9.09 - The Ramones - The Ramones (1976)

Blitzkrieg Bop

Havana Affair
whoa... ALSO my next pick. this has been an uncanny run the last day. 

it's not really my go-to... and I said I wouldn't vbd- but it's an all-timer and so good top to bottom. 

I’m about to fire up a Spotify rando session 
Hell yeah.  

I do wish there was a way that Spotify would remember what songs on playlist you have heard and not do a repeat until the playlist has cycled through.   I hit random today during a car ride, and I got back to back Beatles songs that have come up the last 2 times I've shuffled.  

KarmaPolice said:
As I said in the last draft, 0 chance I would go to an island without my favorite drummer to listen to.   The Aenima pick forced my hand even more, but this is my favorite of their albums.

9.01:  TOOL - LATERALUS (2001)
We may have been the only two, but we were both playing the same game. I dont care which one, but I want one of them. I think AEnima has higher high points, but this is a more complete album. 

I think I drafted this early in the first round of the 2010s album draft we had somewhat recently, but I'm just gonna pick it again because it's ####### fantastic and she's maybe my single favorite artist of the decade.  Sorry for ruining the playlist.  Prayers up for X Æ A-12.  Kid's in for a wild ride.

"Kill V. Maim"
Very nice.  I was listening to this last night.  Love the picks - also really like Easily.  Flesh without Blood is on the 5 year old's playlist.  

Decided on songs.  For fans of Tool and Danny Carey fans, I have pimped this youtube rabbit hole before, but HERE is a link to a guy who does amazing drum covers and has done a big handful of Tool ones.   I've watched these videos so many times.  Gives a great idea of what Carey is doing.  I have to go this route because Tool is so reclusive it's hard to get good concert vids of them playing to get an idea of what's going on back there.  That last 30secs = :boner:
So you're saying you like Danny Carey

If you haven't seen it watch the whole thing, but the instrumental beginning about 7 minutes deep is the payoff. 

"Kill V. Maim"
Yeah, their dad is nuts (can't tell is that is a boy or girl based on the name). I can't believe he is tweeting that insane stuff with a new born and a wife who had a complicated pregnancy. Her mom is on twitter putting him on blast. Not an ideal start for a baby.

:lol:

I punted on Neil figuring I could get Massey Hall. Should've known.
I heard it for the first time Friday morning and slid it onto my word doc for a later round because I had something else lined up that is rote to me. Did a brief write up. Knew what tracks to share. Went to Spotify and their version sounded like the band was in a coffee can. 

Yeah, their dad is nuts (can't tell is that is a boy or girl based on the name). I can't believe he is tweeting that insane stuff with a new born and a wife who had a complicated pregnancy. Her mom is on twitter putting him on blast. Not an ideal start for a baby.
I saw something the other day basically saying just because someone is very smart or talented in one particular thing, that doesn't mean they know what they're talking about when it comes to anything else. It was specifically about Elon but I'm sure she's bat#### too.

I love this album though.

He says it's a boy, she says she's going to raise (him?) gender neutral... :popcorn:

I saw something the other day basically saying just because someone is very smart or talented in one particular thing, that doesn't mean they know what they're talking about when it comes to anything else. It was specifically about Elon but I'm sure she's bat#### too.

I love this album though.
Yeah, she is quite weird as well. But I do believe that fallacy is one people fall into. We assume because Aaron Rodgers is a football genius or Elon has had success with some of his businesses or Ben Carson is a leading brain surgeon that these people must be really wise. Often they aren't, they just one particular skill or obsession they have honed- often at the expense of being a well rounded person. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We may have been the only two, but we were both playing the same game. I dont care which one, but I want one of them. I think AEnima has higher high points, but this is a more complete album. 
I probably wouldn't disagree with this too much, but that is why I gravitate to Lateralus a bit more - the intermission wonkery on AEnima gets more skips.  

Last edited by a moderator:
The Wild Kindness by Silver Jews: I remember this being picked and having no clue what it was

Oil paintings of x-rated picnics

Behind the walls of medication I'm free

Every leaf in a compact mirror

Hits a target that we can't see

No clue what that means but I like this song 

Grace by Jeff Buckley: so much potential we never got to see develop, RIP

Tunnels by Arcade Fire: the best rock album of this millennium, it set the standard for indie rock

You Can All Me Al (live) by Paul Simon: good but I strongly prefer the album version that has no good songs on it and surely nobody here will draft (fingers crossed)

Not Your Fault by AWOLNATION: I like this and Sail, never heard anything else by them though

Abrantes said:
Gotcha. Figured you might've meant an obvious influence of theirs from further back.  :thumbup:
This here's what I was referring to earlier.

9.12 Gang of Four, Entertainment! (1979) ("1979 again?" "Ahhhh yeah - again and again!")

Damaged Goods
I Found That Essence Rare

Sometimes I'm thinking that I love you
But I know it's only lust

Lotta post-punk gone already, and with some of the oblique spotlighting and gassing up of 1979, it feels like the perfect time to take this. This was my first album of theirs (the 2005 reissue, to be more precise), and I got my money's worth out of that CD. What a killer ####### sound. Choppy guitars, tight drumming, killer bass lines - like a machine gun burst, but rather than scattershot, it's pure precision. Influenced countless bands since then, and it still rules.

"Damaged Goods" was a lock for me. Holy #### is it good, from the opening riff to the cathartic "goodbyegoodbyegoodbyyyyyyyye" finish. I had several others vying for the other spot ("Not Great Men", "Return the Gift"..."Natural's Not in It" is so raw too - this heaven gives me migraine - and I could keep going), but "Essence" makes for a nice one-two with "Damaged Goods". 

RIP Andy Gill  :suds:

@Long Ball Larry snipe away, fam

@MAC_32 - thanks again for that vid link.  Made my night.   That 2 1/2 minute stretch in the middle of him doing polyrhythms around the kit is something a human shouldn't be able to do and something I still don't seem to fully understand.   He makes it look so damn effortless.  

This here's what I was referring to earlier.

9.12 Gang of Four, Entertainment! (1979) ("1979 again?" "Ahhhh yeah - again and again!")

Damaged Goods
I Found That Essence Rare

Sometimes I'm thinking that I love you
But I know it's only lust

Lotta post-punk gone already, and with some of the oblique spotlighting and gassing up of 1979, it feels like the perfect time to take this. This was my first album of theirs (the 2005 reissue, to be more precise), and I got my money's worth out of that CD. What a killer ####### sound. Choppy guitars, tight drumming, killer bass lines - like a machine gun burst, but rather than scattershot, it's pure precision. Influenced countless bands since then, and it still rules.

"Damaged Goods" was a lock for me. Holy #### is it good, from the opening riff to the cathartic "goodbyegoodbyegoodbyyyyyyyye" finish. I had several others vying for the other spot ("Not Great Men", "Return the Gift"..."Natural's Not in It" is so raw too - this heaven gives me migraine - and I could keep going), but "Essence" makes for a nice one-two with "Damaged Goods". 

RIP Andy Gill  :suds:

@Long Ball Larry snipe away, fam
HOLY ####### MOTHER OF HELL

this was the album I had written up just now before swapping out for Massive Attack.

what in the ever what.

thought it might make it back... somehow.

damaged goods and natural's not in it were the tunes. but was sitting on not great men too.

HOLY ####### MOTHER OF HELL

this was the album I had written up just now before swapping out for Massive Attack.

what in the ever what.

thought it might make it back... somehow.

damaged goods and natural's not in it were the tunes. but was sitting on not great men too.
yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo 

Also, I LOVE the Massive Attack and Portishead picks today.  I was strongly considering a trip hop turn on my next go around with those 2 albums.  
when Portishead went, the seed for Massive Attack got planted for sure. 

I finished typing up the Entertainment! pick... saw the little trip-hop sprout break the surface and *bam* had to take it instead. 

seriously uncanny that abrantes took it with the very next pick. I don't think I'm high right now... and not drunk... right? anybody? what in the waht.

My daughter and I had a discussion about whether it would be better to grow up with generational wealth or good parents.  She may have been playing to the crowd but she argued for the latter.  I'll take it as a win.

Users who are viewing this thread