What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (1 Viewer)

Round 8

Neil Young Live at Massey Hall 1971 (released 2007)

With 3 NYoung's off the board, I'll take my new favorite album of his. I am getting an education doing live albums. It lacks my favorite songs. I avoided tracks from the chosen albums. If any of you like me let this slip through the cracks, recommended. 

Afaict @Northern Voice hasn't picked tracks from Harvest Moon. At least they're not on the playlist. 

I wanted to go deeper with some of these songs (you should), but I decided these acoustic versions are meant for the playlist.

Old Man (calls it a new song about his ranch, talks a bit sorry)

Ohio

Also since Redmond and I both took Nutshell from AiC, change mine to Rooster from Unplugged.

NV took Harvest, not Harvest Moon.

I said it at the time- but really feel like every one of these post-punk renaissance bands the last few years from brooklyn australia etc sat in a basement for months listening to Gill and those first few Go4 records trying to copy the sound. so definitive of that genre and era.
Go4 was a huge influence on the UK Class of 2005

when Portishead went, the seed for Massive Attack got planted for sure. 

I finished typing up the Entertainment! pick... saw the little trip-hop sprout break the surface and *bam* had to take it instead. 

seriously uncanny that abrantes took it with the very next pick. I don't think I'm high right now... and not drunk... right? anybody? what in the waht.
wild, man

:unsure:

:hifive:

I knew there'd be some sniping/competition in our cluster, but damn.  :lmao:

Olympia WA by Rancid: I wasn’t a punk in high school in the 90s  but I was cool with the punks so this feels like being 16. 

The Loco-Motion by Grand Funk Railroad: my dad worked on the side in music production and has played and recorded music his whole life. One thing he always told me was the drums on GFR albums are the worst. I like the song and bought the GFR Greatest Hits, but yeah where are the drums on this thing?

Welcome to Earth by Sturgill Simpson: Sturgill already has 2 albums drafted, he has catapulted into HOF status in the last 15 years, legend

Fake Happy by Paramore: really well constructed pop song, this will get added to my summer rotation for sure 

Bodies by The Sex Pistons: Not my style

A Pillar of Salt by The Thermals: 

We were born to sin

WE WERE BORN TO SIN

We don't think we're special sir

We know everybody is

Long Ball Larry said:
Round 8 - PORTISHEAD - DUMMY (1994)

Back with more later.

Abrantes said:
Going back to that Portishead snipe, man, I love everything about their sound. There's a gorgeous richness to it, as strange as the description may seem for the soundscape they create. Dummy is a #mood, and Beth Gibbons' singing kills me. The way she enunciates "temptress" in "Glory Box" (and, well, all of "Glory Box", really) just makes me swoon.

Not on my island anymore, but I'd have gone with Glory Box and Wandering Star. Two precious artifacts.
@KarmaPolice

You can make these the two picks.  I seriously cannot decide.  I Keep going back and forth among almost all of them.

ROUND 9 - PUBLIC ENEMY - IT TAKES A NATION OF MILLIONS TO HOLD US BACK

She watch channel zero?!

Don’t believe the hype

I was only 9 or 10 when this came out, so I can’t speak to the impact in the moment, but a few years later I became aware of PE and they were clearly a revolution in a record.  Chuck D is is just a straight up national treasure.

@Charlie Steiner is UP!!
Thanks, Lar.

Now for my  contribution to the missing estrogen fund...

9.xx Suzanne Vega - Beauty and Crime (2007)

The speed of the picks leading up to this one caught me a little off guard and I don't really have much of a write-up; however, I want to point out that this album came out 20+ years after she first got noticed for Left of Center and Luka, and to me, this collection demonstrates that she's gotten better with age.  For the Spotify list, I'll add two toe-tappers, Frank and Ava and Unbound

At this point you probably could make the picks for him off the top of your head, right?   I would be entertaining shtick to draft for him and see how close you get to what he would want at the end of the draft.  
:lol:   I actually thought about doing that, but I didn't want it to seem like I was just getting twice my own picks.  People 'round here would probably know that our tastes are in many respects vastly different, though.

At this point you probably could make the picks for him off the top of your head, right?   I would be entertaining shtick to draft for him and see how close you get to what he would want at the end of the draft.  
Ha ha.  I could put together a 20 album squad for Mrs. E

Users who are viewing this thread