What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (3 Viewers)

9.23  The Memphis Record - Elvis Presley  (recorded 1969, released 1987)

Compilation of tracks Presley recorded in Memphis at American Sound Studios during the early months of 1969.  Elvis was riding high after his successful TV special in December 1968.  The Colonel wasn't there to screw things up; it was just Elvis, a few members of his Memphis Mafia, producer Chips Moman and his razor-sharp crew of studio musicians.  Elvis was in good voice in spite of a cold that forced him to cancel a couple of early sessions.  He was confident and singing material he believed in which was a potent combination after nearly a decade of performing hokey movie music.  These sides are among the best songs Elvis ever recorded, which puts them right up there with any vocals in rock 'n roll history. 

RCA originally issued these recordings in a scattershot fashion in combination with live tracks recorded in Las Vegas.  The Memphis sessions were eventually compiled in this double LP set in 1987.  They've since been recompiled in a box set with studio chatter and alternate takes and The Memphis Record exists only as a playlist.

Stranger in My Home Town

Suspicious Minds
My link

The Rancid picks sort of spooked me, so I will take their predecessors. The band that solidified my love of punk. This is kind of a compilation but I can't recall being able to get anything *other* than this album back then. If desired, I will downgrade to their album "Energy" that I never actually found anywhere.

Round 9) Operation Ivy - Operation Ivy - 1991

Knowledge

Bombshell

This is a combined 2 minutes and 46 seconds you pretentious long winded drafters. 
Damn, wanted this. Should've known, this guy even has a sniper in his avatar.

9.32 Whatever People Say I am, That's What I'm Not by Arctic Monkeys (2006)

With an album title that is a nod to the famous British novel and Albert Finney film about working class British men who spend their weekends getting pissed and chasing tail at cheap pubs, this is an observational concept album about Saturday nights and Sunday mornings. Also one of the most clever and confident debut albums I can think of. 

I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor

When the Sun Goes Down
I finally got into these guys a bit during quarantine time. 

I was also reading last night about how Josh Homme stole Timmy Armstrong's woman 

Last edited by a moderator:
Round 9 Some Girls - The Rolling Stones (1978)

I waited long enough to grab my first Stones album, and I'm going with their love letter to NYC. The Stones were a band that wasn't shy about staying current with musical trends and disco and punk were the hottest trends in music at the time, and especially in the New York City music scene. They make it their own, however.

Miss You

When The Whip Comes Down

Yeah, I made it to a couple of their shows before they released their first hit album but haven't seen them live in ~25 years . Good times. That pop-punk late 80s/early 90s scene put out some great music that I wish got a little more mainstream recognition. 
All of rock music peaked at that time.  Someday I'll write my thesis

Fell behind a bit since my last pick, and the upcoming weekend should be busy for me too, but love seeing the Rancid/Operation Ivy picks. Takes me back. 

Going to plan B after that Elvis sniper attack.

9.36(?) The Doors - LA Woman  (1971)

On one hand, it's too bad Jim went right when they were peaking. But on the other hand, would they have been peaking if Jim weren't dying? Hell, they almost broke up before this thing got made. And perhaps if I were older I'd understand why this group is so polarizing, but I'm not - so I don't. And I think this was their best work.

I considered not going chalk with my playlist adds, but these are their best two and for shtick's sake I should probably get my average song length over 6 minutes.

LA Woman

Riders on the Storm

@RedmondLonghorn

On one hand, it's too bad Jim went right when they were peaking. But on the other hand, would they have been peaking if Jim weren't dying? Hell, they almost broke up before this thing got made. And perhaps if I were older I'd understand why this group is so polarizing, but I'm not - so I don't. And I think this was their best work.

I considered not going chalk with my playlist adds, but these are their best two and for shtick's sake I should probably get my average song length over 6 minutes.

LA Woman

Riders on the Storm

@RedmondLonghorn
Thought for sure this was already taken - nice.

LA Woman

Riders on the Storm

@RedmondLonghorn
One of my favorite movie-going experiences was when I saw the Oliver Stone movie about these guys.  It was so cliché--a normal looking audience going in, the lights go down, there's a quick whiff of marijuana, and when the lights came up at the end and everyone came out looking like a bunch of zombies.

The film did introduce me to a couple of their lesser-played songs, so there was that. And Meg Ryan and Kathleen Quinlan.

I already have some stuff that rocks on my island, but sometimes merely rocking isn’t enough and you need some sonic napalm:

Killing Joke (2003) – Killing Joke

This is the second of Killing Joke’s self-titled albums. This is a bit of a concept album—the band was even angrier and more disillusioned than usual during this time period, thanks to the invasion of Iraq.

Killing Joke’s sound evolved a lot over the years. Their sound has spanned punk, post-punk, and early industrial. They’ve sort of drifted in and out of metal. 

The overall sound is intense, aggressive, and tribal, but most of the tracks are still fairly accessible. I love it, even though I am not really a metal person. It is also worth noting that the drummer on this album is none other than Dave Grohl. 

The two songs I picked are at the opposite ends of the spectrum of the album. The first one is sort of what the End Times would sound like in song form (and I anticipate some listeners may hit skip on shuffle play), while the second is more anthemic and a bit…hopeful. Worth noting that eight of the ten tracks clock at over five minutes—this album will wear you out, but in a good way.

Songs:
The Death & Resurrection Show
You’ll Never Get to Me

One of my favorite movie-going experiences was when I saw the Oliver Stone movie about these guys.  It was so cliché--a normal looking audience going in, the lights go down, there's a quick whiff of marijuana, and when the lights came up at the end and everyone came out looking like a bunch of zombies.

The film did introduce me to a couple of their lesser-played songs, so there was that. And Meg Ryan and Kathleen Quinlan.
The Jim bio No One Here Gets Out Alive is a really good read.

my first wikkidshuffle went like a dj had stacked em in the first half, then fell apart. awful lotta clangy white men, though:

1. Bron Y Aur - Led Zeppelin. While acoustic guitar generally alarms me that a prosaic 4/4 lovesick wordsmudge is on the way, in the hands of masters it is glorious, almost the natural form of song as community & communication.

2. Angel From the Coast - Thin Lizzy. The chords almost echoed those of the Led Zep so that was cool

3. The Bends - Radiohead. If there is a Radiohead song one could segue from Thin Lizzy to, this was it.

4. Where is My Mind - Pixies. another blend that sounded planned, Good, not great, but it spaced out at the end to ramp.....

....5. Here Comes the Sun - Beatles.  It's all right

6. Jackson - Johnny Cash. Here's where the segues began to fall apart, but how can one not love Carter & Cash yowlin' for the cons?!

7. What You Know - TI. Thud. I had the other TI in my trial shuffle. I can totally get what those young kids i watch first-time listening to rock classics say about modern digital production vs ol' analog. Almost startling. TI dont drip with bling, bad manners & bruised egos like most hiphop i hear, but (except for the stellar production quality) i honestly dont see the difference between it and Corporate Country. Find a repeatable catchphrase , fill it with cultural touchpoints and hammer the #### out of em. So what...

8. Nutshell - Alice in Chains. I really like AIC and this song, but the acoustic format without the extras really shows up some rote grunge chord and melody patterns here

9. Plastic Flowers on the Highway - Drive-by Truckers. Yeah, OK. Won't be hittin back on em, but OK

10. Fascination Street - The Cure. Hearing the beginnings of single-groove songmaking here, but Robert Smith's moistpanted kvetching brings immediacy to anything

my first wikkidshuffle went like a dj had stacked em in the first half, then fell apart. awful lotta clangy white men, though:

1. Bron Y Aur - Led Zeppelin. While acoustic guitar generally alarms me that a prosaic 4/4 lovesick wordsmudge is on the way, in the hands of masters it is glorious, almost the natural form of song as community & communication.
All the best love songs are about a blue eyed merle

9.32 Whatever People Say I am, That's What I'm Not by Arctic Monkeys (2006)

With an album title that is a nod to the famous British novel and Albert Finney film about working class British men who spend their weekends getting pissed and chasing tail at cheap pubs, this is an observational concept album about Saturday nights and Sunday mornings. Also one of the most clever and confident debut albums I can think of. 

I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor

When the Sun Goes Down
Yes

Y u no play certain romance tho?

Users who are viewing this thread