Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program

1 hour ago, Eephus said:

9.23  The Memphis Record - Elvis Presley  (recorded 1969, released 1987)

Compilation of tracks Presley recorded in Memphis at American Sound Studios during the early months of 1969.  Elvis was riding high after his successful TV special in December 1968.  The Colonel wasn't there to screw things up; it was just Elvis, a few members of his Memphis Mafia, producer Chips Moman and his razor-sharp crew of studio musicians.  Elvis was in good voice in spite of a cold that forced him to cancel a couple of early sessions.  He was confident and singing material he believed in which was a potent combination after nearly a decade of performing hokey movie music.  These sides are among the best songs Elvis ever recorded, which puts them right up there with any vocals in rock 'n roll history. 

RCA originally issued these recordings in a scattershot fashion in combination with live tracks recorded in Las Vegas.  The Memphis sessions were eventually compiled in this double LP set in 1987.  They've since been recompiled in a box set with studio chatter and alternate takes and The Memphis Record exists only as a playlist.

Stranger in My Home Town

Suspicious Minds

Have you ever read Peter Guralnik's Elvis duology - Last Train to Memphis and Careless Love? I think it's phenomenal and stands a few Elvis myths on their heads. I really enjoyed the section on the making of these songs.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

10. Fascination Street - The Cure. Hearing the beginnings of single-groove songmaking here, but Robert Smith's moistpanted kvetching brings immediacy to anything

I missed Disintegration getting drafted.  *just did a search and it was Marco!

Edited by simey
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Buffaloes said:

#### yes

Y u no play certain romance tho?

I went through about 4 different choices for the 2nd song, just kind of landed on one after waffling too much 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

my first wikkidshuffle went like a dj had stacked em in the first half, then fell apart. awful lotta clangy white men, though:

1. Bron Y Aur - Led Zeppelin. While acoustic guitar generally alarms me that a prosaic 4/4 lovesick wordsmudge is on the way, in the hands of masters it is glorious, almost the natural form of song as community & communication.

2. Angel From the Coast - Thin Lizzy. The chords almost echoed those of the Led Zep so that was cool

3. The Bends - Radiohead. If there is a Radiohead song one could segue from Thin Lizzy to, this was it.

4. Where is My Mind - Pixies. another blend that sounded planned, Good, not great, but it spaced out at the end to ramp.....

....5. Here Comes the Sun - Beatles.  It's all right

6. Jackson - Johnny Cash. Here's where the segues began to fall apart, but how can one not love Carter & Cash yowlin' for the cons?!

7. What You Know - TI. Thud. I had the other TI in my trial shuffle. I can totally get what those young kids i watch first-time listening to rock classics say about modern digital production vs ol' analog. Almost startling. TI dont drip with bling, bad manners & bruised egos like most hiphop i hear, but (except for the stellar production quality) i honestly dont see the difference between it and Corporate Country. Find a repeatable catchphrase , fill it with cultural touchpoints and hammer the #### out of em. So what...

8. Nutshell - Alice in Chains. I really like AIC and this song, but the acoustic format without the extras really shows up some rote grunge chord and melody patterns here

9. Plastic Flowers on the Highway - Drive-by Truckers. Yeah, OK. Won't be hittin back on em, but OK

10. Fascination Street - The Cure. Hearing the beginnings of single-groove songmaking here, but Robert Smith's moistpanted kvetching brings immediacy to anything

I have... different opinions :oldunsure:

Jay Reatard - Blood Visions (2006)

Feels kinda weird taking this with so many classics still out there, but it's just so unique I have to have it.

I'm surprised I even got into him considering the awful moniker. I used to work with people with disabilities and the name was/is a big time turn off. Yet I was frequenting the old SOMB boards at the time and they were going nuts over it. Glad I gave it a shot as I absolutely fell in love with it. RIP Jay.

My Shadow

Oh It's Such A Shame

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Bonzai said:

Feels kinda weird taking this with so many classics still out there, but it's just so unique I have to have it.

I'm surprised I even got into him considering the awful moniker. I used to work with people with disabilities and the name was/is a big time turn off. Yet I was frequenting the old SOMB boards at the time and they were going nuts over it. Glad I gave it a shot as I absolutely fell in love with it. RIP Jay.

My Shadow

Oh It's Such A Shame

Poor guy must have been abused in elementary school with that surname. :(

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

1 hour ago, rockaction said:

I was sleeping, too. Was wearing all Adidas clothes and got a date with the movie ticket girl. An awkward lean, a knock into her breast, and we were making out. She kissed with her teeth. I woke up to this.

Proceed thusly.

I believe this may mean rock is a skip but I need to activate my decoder ring

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Have you ever read Peter Guralnik's Elvis duology - Last Train to Memphis and Careless Love? I think it's phenomenal and stands a few Elvis myths on their heads. I really enjoyed the section on the making of these songs.

Guralnik's Elvis books are excellent.  Like a lot of biographies, the first volume documenting Presley's rise is more interesting than the tragedy of his fall.  I was struck by how fast he exploded from playing county fairs to becoming a national phenomenon.  He was a kid caught up in a whirlwind.

6 minutes ago, Bonzai said:

My Shadow

Oh It's Such A Shame

Punk af

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:
1 hour ago, rockaction said:

I was sleeping, too. Was wearing all Adidas clothes and got a date with the movie ticket girl. An awkward lean, a knock into her breast, and we were making out. She kissed with her teeth. I woke up to this.

Proceed thusly.

I believe this may mean rock is a skip but I need to activate my decoder ring

it also sounds like the opening line to that one-man play he's probably working on

kind of a modern-Kerouac but focused on rock tshirts and unpaid cut-outs reviews

Edited by Binky The Doormat
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bonzai said:

My Shadow

Oh It's Such A Shame

The SOMB end of year singles polls were always the most interesting of the year, pitchfork etc.. included. And obviously what I copied for the fbg polls. (though I suppose we're all just copying pazz and jop/village voice)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Northern Voice said:

The SOMB end of year singles polls were always the most interesting of the year, pitchfork etc.. included. And obviously what I copied for the fbg polls. (though I suppose we're all just copying pazz and jop/village voice)

Yes, they were epic. You've done us all a great service by doing those polls here. :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Eephus said:

Elvis was riding high after his successful TV special in December 1968. 

Far and away my favorite Elvis performance, and it's Live. Favorite song from it One Night With You (from a dumb movie) but converted here to something great. Two favorite moments from the song, he loses power, he beats the guitar against his chest. 

When we talked Frank a couple months ago, I was going to suggest you do Elvis next. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chaos Commish said:

Far and away my favorite Elvis performance, and it's Live. Favorite song from it One Night With You (from a dumb movie) but converted here to something great. Two favorite moments from the song, he loses power, he beats the guitar against his chest. 

Comeback Elvis is my favorite Elvis

3 minutes ago, Chaos Commish said:

When we talked Frank a couple months ago, I was going to suggest you do Elvis next. 

The dog up and died

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Bonzai said:

My Shadow

Oh It's Such A Shame

20 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

uh......ohhhhhh :unsure:

:cry:

I QUIT!!!!!!

• Laughing 2

3 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:
6 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

we are around 20 minutes into @rockaction OTC and you are up after that

- we aren't skipping him since we don't understand his last post

We can skip him, IMO, he's not drafting from the same list as simey in any case..

the Commissioner has ruled

@simey is up!

Also I leave for Tahoe on the 25th with no return date set. I will not have pc. I hate doing this from phone. I will be beyond internet and data a couple days, I think. I am not worried about snipes. I may wait until I come back to catch up. I may try to prepare picks before leaving, and send them to someone. Anyone? I might QUIT!!

11 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

wikkid knows my love for that reatard.

loooooooooooove the pick and love that record. wish it was on my island- but still love all of it.

Wasn't really sure how much it was on other folks' radars.  Some people seem to REALLY love it but a lot a people I've shared the album with don't seem to understand the appeal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chaos Commish said:

Also I leave for Tahoe on the 25th with no return date set. I will not have pc. I hate doing this from phone. I will be beyond internet and data a couple days, I think. I am not worried about snipes. I may wait until I come back to catch up. I may try to prepare picks before leaving, and send them to someone. Anyone? I might QUIT!!

np.  just remind us when you head out and we'll know to skip

My cousins (and aunt and uncle) moved to Gainesville, Florida when they were youngsters, because my aunt got a job working at the University of Florida, and then my uncle attended the school (cause he got kicked out of the University of Tennessee).  My cousins are a bit older than me and my siblings. During a visit, my cousin Wendy turned us on to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' debut album. I thought they were great. Fast forward three years and this album came out. I loved it. It reminds me a lot of my high school years. 

Round 9

Damn The Torpedoes - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (1979)

Louisiana Rain

Here Comes My Girl

• Like 20
  • Love 3

2 minutes ago, RedmondLonghorn said:

What was the final determination on how to handle live album dates? It seems to me that if the recording date and the release date are close together, it doesn't matter. But if they are decades apart, are we going with the recording date?

I include both on my picks, but think the release date makes more sense.