Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program

9 minutes ago, simey said:

Time for some piano. I met Ben once a long time ago at a party. The bass player in the band, Bobby, is the brother of my friend Martin, who was roommates with my friend Charlie at ECU, who I also knew from high school. Martin was in a band at ECU called The Stegmonds. Charlie was a student and salesman (of illegal substances).

Round 10

Whatever and Ever Amen - Ben Folds Five

One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces

Evaporated

I like a lot of Ben Folds' work, both solo and with the "five".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rockaction said:

Whoops. I edited the round on my pick to make it accurate. We're at Round Ten, right?  

Yep, 1/3 of the way through. It's been a blast so far and the perfect distraction from the world at large. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

he said to skip him

@RedmondLonghorn is up!

R10.06 Two Steps from the Blues – Bobby Blue Bland (1961)

I am not really sure how I found this album. I recall it was in about 1994, right before I was going to move to Austin for graduate school. I am far from a Blues or R&B aficionado, but I love this album, I know it was extremely well-regarded in its time, and has been ranked highly retrospectively as well. I can't imagine being on a desert island without some blues. So selecting it here is both a fine choice for me personally and in terms of VBD. Picking just two songs is tough, there isn’t a bad one on the album.

Songs:

Don’t Cry No More

I Pity the Fool

Edited by RedmondLonghorn
  • Like 7
  • Love 2

38 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

R10

Talking Heads / Talking Heads 77   (duh, 1977)

I doubt he remembers me, everyone was shoveling coke like they were trying to dig out of a nor-easter.

Somehow that sounds like the only real way to meet the Talking Heads. David Byrne drenched in cocaine sweat from the hot lights, pancake makeup strewn about his face and all that. Notably in front of an art installation of some sort. 

I love this pick. I'm a much bigger fan of this sound than their '80s sound.

2 minutes ago, RedmondLonghorn said:

R10.06 Two Steps from the Blue – Bobby Blue Bland (1961)

I am not really sure how I found this album. I recall it was in about 1994, right before I was going to move to Austin for graduate school. I am far from a Blues or R&B aficionado, but I love this album, I know it was extremely well-regarded in its time, and has been ranked highly retrospectively as well. So selecting it here is both a fine choice for me personally and in terms of VBD. Picking just two songs is tough, there isn’t a bad one on the album.

Songs:

Don’t Cry No More

I Pity the Fool

Wow, excellent! Wasn't expecting this one. Can't remember how I first came across Bobby Blue (maybe the FFA?), but he's great.

Edited by Abrantes

3 minutes ago, Bonzai said:

GZA - Liquid Swords (1995)

Afraid I might miss out on this and I need at least some hip hop. Not a lot of time right now, maybe I'll add some more thoughts later.

Shadowboxin'

Duel Of The Iron Mic

i have that as your 9th rd pick ...and you still owe a 10th pick and can have it anytime

5 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:
5 hours ago, zamboni said:

Almost Cut My Hair is my fave off it. Surprisingly relevant these days.

I would be willing to exchange "Carry On" if you can get @Hov34 to swap one of his "Let It Bleed" choices for "Gimme Shelter" 

I would actually like to change one of my "songs" from that album, can I?

4 minutes ago, Abrantes said:

Wow, excellent! Wasn't expecting this one. Can't remember how I first came across Bobby Blue (maybe the FFA?), but he's great.

In my early twenties I went through a period where I was very determined to have interesting taste in music. What a dork I was. But I did discover some stuff with staying power, along with a lot of crap.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JZilla said:

Was very close to taking this in Eephus' 5 year thing.  I wore it out but I don't go back much

Credit where credit is due.  That 5 year thing was NV's baby that he'd been gestating for years.

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, Bonzai said:

GZA - Liquid Swords (1995)

Afraid I might miss out on this and I need at least some hip hop. Not a lot of time right now, maybe I'll add some more thoughts later.

Shadowboxin'

Duel Of The Iron Mic

When I swing my swords, they all choppable

Nice. :thumbup::thumbup:

Didn't comment earlier, but the Camp Lo pick was slick too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Chaos Commish said:

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band Live 1975-1985 (1986)

My hot take on 1975-1985 is that the Boss and Jon Landau were trying to please both his old and new fans with the song selection.  With all the performances they had to choose from, it could have been one of the all-time great live albums.  But it trying to market it to fans who had just jumped on board with BitUSA, they sub-optimized the record.

It's still live Springsteen so there's that but it could have been more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

we just had a good example of that with the Elvis album.

recorded in '69 but released many years later

ask NV, but it seems like the intent of tracking the dates is to see what period of music is getting the most love.  Tieing that Elvis album to the '00s (or whenever) would skew results

I’m back waiting for a ferry and catching up.  I’ve been logging them based on the recording date.  NV approved.

47 minutes ago, simey said:

Time for some piano. I met Ben once a long time ago at a party. The bass player in the band, Bobby, is the brother of my friend Martin, who was roommates with my friend Charlie at ECU, who I also knew from high school. Martin was in a band at ECU called The Stegmonds. Charlie was a student and salesman (of illegal substances).

Round 10

Evaporated

Oh good god.  Remember I said my next one was going to be a record I might literally die if I didn’t get, but then I switched to Lyle to employ The Simey Defense?  This is the one I switched!    :cry: 

Get out of my head!

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 2

3 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I’m back waiting for a ferry and catching up.  I’ve been logging them based on the recording date.  NV approved.

Thanks for the clarification! I thought that is what was decided.

Would somebody with editing privileges please change the date for my 4.06 pick from 2014 to 1991?

51 minutes ago, simey said:

Round 10

Evaporated

Love Ben as you all know.  "Selfless, Cold and Composed" may be my favorite Folds song of all time, and that is saying something.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hov34 said:

Love Ben as you all know.  "Selfless, Cold and Composed" may be my favorite Folds song of all time, and that is saying something.

I was planning to take this one and Song for the Dumped.  No wrong answers here.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Oh good god.  Remember I said my next one was going to be a record I might literally die if I didn’t get, but then I switched to Lyle to employ The Simey Defense?  This is the one I switched!    :cry: 

Get out of my head!

What were the chances?  Blame it on Marco, cause I would've picked Disintegration.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

7 minutes ago, Hov34 said:

I kept going back and forth on that song and Evaporation. 

1 hour ago, cosjobs said:

R10

Talking Heads / Talking Heads 77   (duh, 1977)

May or may not be best remaining Head album, but I saw them tour this LP in Albany in 1978. First time I ever saw/heard them. Truly memorable and revolutionized my musical taste. But I have to say, I think Tina Weymouth may be a bit stuck up. We made eye contact several times during the show, but never got an invitation backstage. I did finally meet DB in Soho in 84, but I doubt he remembers me, everyone was shoveling coke like they were trying to dig out of a nor-easter.

New Feeling

Pulled Up

Fantastic debut!  I waffle between this and the next as my faves, but side A of fear of music and side A of remain in light smoke! 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shuke said:

Me during rounds 1-4 "wow I totally fit in here"

Me since "I'm not hip and have no music cred"

That just means you are in luck and will get exposed to a lot of new music. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

@MAC_32 is OTC and has about 20 minutes left before he times out.

if things go as planned, he'll drop in with a couple of minutes to go

@Dr. Octopus is here and on deck ...

Feel free to skip me if I come up. I might be unavailable for a couple hours.