What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (7 Viewers)

I think we are very close, but doubt we get to my pick on my 30min break.  IF not, just skip over me as I am not sure how much I will be able to check in after that.  

Love the AM and TV on the Radio picks. I already took the other big AM album but Dear SCIENCE was another I was hoping would continue its slide. Lots of great post 2000s albums in these recent rounds. Probably the last great era for rock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the AM and TV on the Radio picks. I already took the other big AM album but Dear SCIENCE was another I was hoping would continue its slide. Lots of great post 2000s albums in these recent rounds. Probably the last great era for rock.
@Ilov80s - you going to around enough just to PM my picks to you?

Shuffle sesh

Back to Black - Amy Winehouse. 10+. I would rate this a 50 on a scale of 1-10, if I was that kind of (innumerate) person.

Look Sharp! - Joe Jackson. 4. Just not a fan of Mr. Jackson's work. (First listen)

The Real Me - The Who. 7. Not among my top Who songs, but it is still solid.

Where Do the Children Play - Yusuf/Cat Stevens. 5. I kept waiting for it to build into something. I guess it did, but not as much as I hoped. (First listen)

The Harder They Come - Jimmy Cliff. 9.5. So great.

You Never Give Me Your Money - the Beatles. 6. It's fine.

Biko (Live) - Peter Gabriel. 10. I've never heard the live version before. I was prepared to ding it slightly versus the studio version, but I ended up doing the reverse.

Via Chicago - Wilco. 7.5. Wow, never heard this. The folky/alt-country vibe plus noise and reverb is pretty great. (First listen)

Why Does Love Got to be So Sad - Derek & the Dominos. 7. Digging this a bit. The guy playing the guitar seems good. (First listen)

You've Got to Hide Your Love - the Beatles. 7. I am not really a Beatles person. But this is a good one.

Olympia, WA - Rancid. 8. "Ace is the place with the helpful hardware man."

So Says I - The Shins. 7.5. James Mercer's voice is always great. And these guys write some tight songs. (First listen)
Biko live is one of the great concert experiences to be had. But when it mattered, when apartheid reigned and audience members knew they were part of building a fire tall enough for SAfrica to see, it was almost a religious experience. Band members would stand at attention in protest and leave one by one til it was just the crowd and the drummer, then the drummer would cut out and the crowd would continue the "oh-oh-ohhhhhh" for like 10 minutes. I honestly believe it was a factor in the govt giving in. 

ETA: to this day, Gabriel dedicates "Biko" to a more current issue and the ritual continues

Biko live is one of the great concert experiences to be had. But when it mattered, when apartheid reigned and audience members knew they were part of building a fire tall enough for SAfrica to see, it was almost a religious experience. Band members would stand at attention in protest and leave one by one til it was just the crowd and the drummer, then the drummer would cut out and the crowd would continue the "oh-oh-ohhhhhh" for like 10 minutes. I honestly believe it was a factor in the govt giving in. 
I think I saw him do this live twice.

once was 85'ish at the Cow Palace in SF as part of some group show for... unicef? maybe? with U2 and a bunch of other bands I'm spacing on. my friend tanya and I had balcony seats way in the back- but when one of the earlier in the set more current bands came on, there was a small push of people out of their reserved seats and into a kind of GA dance area in front of the stage (there wasn't any GA area- it was just people pushing forward into the aisles and empty big-pocket-type seats towards the front).

tanya and I bum-rushed down the stairs and towards the stage at this point... mildly pushing our way right in front in an aisle. when the band wrapped, people headed back to their seats... so we decided to roll the dice and move into some empty seats in the 2nd row center I'd been eyeing while dancing in the aisle. never left. turned out we were sitting next to bill graham and family (I was a classmate of his son in college) the rest of the show. he gave us one stink eye-ball at first (not sure if he was involved in the concert promotion or not) and then just let us go. he even called security on some other people who later tried the same trick... not sure why he let us go, but thankful he did. I always thought his son may have had a hand in it- nice, albeit troubled, kid who later was engaged to my ex's best friend (while managing early blues traveler- they kicked him out and immediately got the fame they briefly deserved)

we saw u2 from those seats. and gabriel closed the show, iirc, with biko (which iirc had all of the previous acts on stage to help sing). yes- he closed it just wikkid described with the performers all cutting out, leaving the audience singing. I get goose-bumps thinking about it.

Depends, we are getting 10,000 pounds of dirt delivered today or tomorrow and I get to move it all into our new flower boxes. It just depends on when the dirt comes. Feel free to send it though. 
this all felt like a euphemism about somebody's picks in here.

once was 85'ish at the Cow Palace in SF as part of some group show for... unicef? maybe? with U2 and a bunch of other bands I'm spacing on. my friend tanya and I had balcony seats way in the back- but when one of the earlier in the set more current bands came on, there was a small push of people out of their reserved seats and into a kind of GA dance area in front of the stage (there wasn't any GA area- it was just people pushing forward into the aisles and empty big-pocket-type seats towards the front).

tanya and I bum-rushed down the stairs and towards the stage at this point... mildly pushing our way right in front in an aisle. when the band wrapped, people headed back to their seats... so we decided to roll the dice and move into some empty seats in the 2nd row center I'd been eyeing while dancing in the aisle. never left. turned out we were sitting next to bill graham and family (I was a classmate of his son in college) the rest of the show. he gave us one stink eye-ball at first (not sure if he was involved in the concert promotion or not) and then just let us go. he even called security on some other people who later tried the same trick... not sure why he let us go, but thankful he did. I always thought his son may have had a hand in it- nice, albeit troubled, kid who later was engaged to my ex's best friend (while managing early blues traveler- they kicked him out and immediately got the fame they briefly deserved)

we saw u2 from those seats. and gabriel closed the show, iirc, with biko (which iirc had all of the previous acts on stage to help sing). yes- he closed it just wikkid described with the performers all cutting out, leaving the audience singing. I get goose-bumps thinking about it.
it was this:

A Conspiracy of Hope was a short tour of six benefit concerts on behalf of Amnesty International that took place in the United States during June 1986. The purpose of the tour was not to raise funds but rather to increase awareness of human rights and of Amnesty's work on its 25th anniversary. The shows were headlined by U2, Sting and Bryan Adams and also featured Peter Gabriel, Lou Reed, Joan Baez, and The Neville Brothers. 

I think my swing pick is gonna be 100% play list centric.  Maybe one or two people here even know it, let alone have an interest in picking it. 

"Gotta do what he gotta do"

I was in HS in the mid-late 80s (1988 grad!) so the Amnesty International wave was huge in our school. I remember doing the postcards that PG mentions in this version of the song at a big AI show in NYC.

Such a great show closing song.

once was 85'ish at the Cow Palace in SF as part of some group show for... unicef? maybe? with U2 and a bunch of other bands I'm spacing on. 
Amnesty International - Bruce was on the tour also.

ETA: Bruce was only at the NJ show.

10 round pick xx - Lorde - Melodrama (2017) - pop

songs - Green Light, Homemade Dynamite, The Louvre, and Liability.

She is the queen of pop for gen Z and millennials for good reason.

Whats crazy is she’s only 23 right now and she’s only getting better as an artist.

Then a likely happy 50th to you this year! ;)
Thanks man. Same to you. Just "celebrated" it, while sheltering in place. We had previously been planning to meet a few other couples at a local "Norse beer hall" and then to have dinner at a Mexican steakhouse (they are just blocks apart; Ballard is awesome). It was an evening perfectly tuned to my tastes. Then we were going to actually go to Mexico this month, for a joint birthday/anniversary celebration.

Of course none of that happened.

10 round pick xx - Lorde - Melodrama (2017) - pop

songs - Green Light, Homemade Dynamite, The Louvre, and Liability.

She is the queen of pop for gen Z and millennials for good reason.

Whats crazy is she’s only 23 right now and she’s only getting better as an artist.
I was wondering when this would get picked.  Figured it would go fairly soon.  I'd have perhaps considered it later on.  I like this pick.

Users who are viewing this thread