What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (1 Viewer)

I drafter Chamberlin as my drummer in the Rock Band Draft here eons ago.  Pete Townshend, PJ Harvey and Bob Mould were the singers.  Forgot the rest of the lineup.
I did two of those.  They were a lot of fun, at the time anyway.  I can't remember much about my lineups.. I know I went 1st round on Grohl in one

11.08 The Sun Sessions - Elvis Presley (1955)

This album has a bunch of songs recorded in '55 that never got released as singles and were included on later RCA albums.

But I'm taking it just for the Original Ten - the 5 singles recorded at Sun Records and released. Always one side an R&B cover and the other a country cover. None were national hits. I'm using 1955 as the date, even though this album wasn't put together and released until decades later.

I don't know what there is to say about these songs. I guess they could sound hokey to today's ears, but they were groundbreaking at the time (even if almost no one heard them outside of the mid-South). To me, this group of records wouldn't sound out of place being released as new tracks smack in the middle of the Americana boom of the mid-90s by someone named Jesse Garon.

"Good Rockin' Tonight"

"Mystery Train"

Last edited by a moderator:
The rheumatologist office called and they can see me on June 10th. She said they were backed up due to all the cancellations they had to do earlier due to Covid19. I told her if she can get me in earlier to let me know, and she said the waiting list is long, but she'd put me on it.
 Hang in there sis!!

How is the cat biz?

Philadelphia 2012 would have been Seattle 1992 if Rock hadn't died in the intervening 20 years
Rock isn't dead, it was just taken over by by women. 

With more and more recent albums taken over, I'll jump on this one. Another great lyricist and guitarist who can spin a rocking anthem or a contemplative ballad with equal ease. Her accent gives everything a little extra character. I saw her play a mid-afternoon festival set to a small but incredibly high energy/devoted crowd when this came out and it was an amazing show. 

11.09 - Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit (2015)

1."Elevator Operator"

2."Pedestrian at Best"

3."An Illustration of Loneliness (Sleepless in New York)"

4."Small Poppies"

5."Depreston"

6."Aqua Profunda!"

7."Dead Fox"

8."Nobody Really Cares If You Don't Go to the Party"

9."Debbie Downer"

10."Kim's Caravan"

11."Boxing Day Blues"

@Steve Tasker

With more and more recent albums taken over, I'll jump on this one. Another great lyricist and guitarist who can spin a rocking anthem or a contemplative ballad with equal ease. Her accent gives everything a little extra character. I saw her play a mid-afternoon festival set to a small but incredibly high energy/devoted crowd when this came out and it was an amazing show. 

11.09 - Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit (2015)

1."Elevator Operator"

2."Pedestrian at Best"

4."Small Poppies"

5."Depreston"

6."Aqua Profunda!"

7."Dead Fox"

9."Debbie Downer"

10."Kim's Caravan"

11."Boxing Day Blues"

@Steve Tasker
She's really, really good. Nice pick

1."Elevator Operator"

2."Pedestrian at Best"

4."Small Poppies"

5."Depreston"

6."Aqua Profunda!"

7."Dead Fox"

9."Debbie Downer"

10."Kim's Caravan"

11."Boxing Day Blues"

@Steve Tasker
Some one introduced me to her music in one of these drafts - although I did recall seeing her play two songs on the CBS Saturday Morning Show as well. This one and a few others (including one with a thus undrafted artist) have been in my rotation since. Lover her singing style.

Biko live is one of the great concert experiences to be had. But when it mattered, when apartheid reigned and audience members knew they were part of building a fire tall enough for SAfrica to see, it was almost a religious experience. Band members would stand at attention in protest and leave one by one til it was just the crowd and the drummer, then the drummer would cut out and the crowd would continue the "oh-oh-ohhhhhh" for like 10 minutes. I honestly believe it was a factor in the govt giving in. 

ETA: to this day, Gabriel dedicates "Biko" to a more current issue and the ritual continues
I drafted this before. My South African BiL says the song drove the government crazy.

11.06 Skylarking, XTC (1986)

Todd Rundgren's best record and the most perfect pop album i know. Don't know of a better producing job since Sgt Pepper

Grass - cant think of anything more i'd want to ruminate from a desert island on than "over & over we flatten the clover"

The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul - one of my very favorite singing songs

@PIK95
big on Dear God as well

my understand was that Todd wanted it on the album and Andy wanted it off the album ...so Andy took it off.

but it ended up getting released as a single ...and hit ...and they had to rush to get it back on the album

I think they still really hate each other - though the vitriol seems to have mellow oh so slightly

big on Dear God as well

my understand was that Todd wanted it on the album and Andy wanted it off the album ...so Andy took it off.

but it ended up getting released as a single ...and hit ...and they had to rush to get it back on the album

I think they still really hate each other - though the vitriol seems to have mellow oh so slightly
That was one of my song picks.  Sad its not on the playlist now.

11.10 - Björk - Post (1995)

And now I move on from an artist I'm dying to see (TVotR) to an artist who was one of my most anticipated live shows ever.  She (and the 30-person all-female chorus with her) did not disappoint.

I've had this on my shortlist for awhile, and while I'm not sure it's on anyone else's list here, I have to have it.  So much of the music I enjoy today can be thematically traced back to genre-breaking artists like her.  We talked about the trip-hop/witch house genrepalooza the other day, and while she isn't really clearly defined as being a trip-hop artist like some who have already been taken, she was my choice of artist/song to identify the category.

"Hyperballad"  :wub:

"Army of Me"

I really like xtc, but could never get as into skylarking. Will give it another shot.
probably only @Binky The Doormat remembers this story, but Bearsville Records in Woodstock was the unofficial HQ of the bands i worked for. one period i was there, The Band was making everybody miserable with their kiss-my-ring OG egotism and Runt, there (with the scrumptious Bebe Buell) to work on one of his own albums, was driving everybody nuts with his more-ideas-in-60-seconds-than-you'll-have-in-your-lifetime manic vibe. there had to be a dozen bands came thru during that period and Todd answered all their questions before they even asked and everyone was as "#### yeah" about the tips as they were perplexed by Runt's audacity at offering them. i tried to use what influence i could to get one of our acts to work with him so i could see the result, but Miss Raitt was all up Lowell's butt by then and the other folk werent big enough yet.

Skylarking - with such a perfectly odd but right songwriter team like Partridge/Moulding, also recently retired from the road like Lennon/McCartney - was the fulfillment of my Runtasies.

11.10 - Björk - Post (1995)

And now I move on from an artist I'm dying to see (TVotR) to an artist who was one of my most anticipated live shows ever.  She (and the 30-person all-female chorus with her) did not disappoint.

I've had this on my shortlist for awhile, and while I'm not sure it's on anyone else's list here, I have to have it.  So much of the music I enjoy today can be thematically traced back to genre-breaking artists like her.  We talked about the trip-hop/witch house genrepalooza the other day, and while she isn't really clearly defined as being a trip-hop artist like some who have already been taken, she was my choice of artist/song to identify the category.

"Hyperballad"  :wub:

"Army of Me"
I can't ever think of Bjork without thinking of that friggin' swan dress thing. :lmao:

Since random celebrity encounters are affected by shelter-in-place, here's a re-post of my Bjork story.

When my kids were little, we went to one of their friend's birthday parties in Golden Gate Park.  It had one of those rented inflatable jump houses for the kids to play in.

Bjork's then-partner Matthew Barney had an art installation at the DeYoung Museum at the time and they happened to be in park with their daughter.  They politely asked the hosts if she could jump in the jump house, which she did for a few minutes while Bjork and Barney stood off to the side like any other oddly-dressed SF couple.  I was sorry to hear their relationship ended badly.

11.12 TV on the Radio, Return to Cookie Mountain (2006)

Wolf Like Me
Blues from Down Here

When the moon is round and full
Gonna teach you tricks that'll blow your mongrel mind

Calling an audible here. Was all set to go in a different direction, but I'll be waiting a good while for my next pick, so it's gotta be this one. My favorite TVOTR album, and I've taken it (and individual songs from it) quite a bit earlier in past drafts, but I feel I got a better sense of the drafters' priorities this time around. :lmao:

I first heard this by downloading it offa Soulseek at the time and the songs were mislabeled and out of order, such that the first track was actually "Wolf Like Me", which knocked me on my ###, 'cause so much of their first album (though not all) leaned more towards moody than rocking, and this was something else. The album as a whole covers a lot of musical ground, and I love their sound, their energy, their inventiveness. It's not all the time that it clicks for me, but it's beautiful when it does.

Sorry if anyone wanted Province on the playlist. I didn't want to go with the two lead singles, and I ####### love "Blues from Down Here" anyway (I think it's the horns that do it). Tonight is another one I played over and over for a while 'cause I just love the spell it casts, and the lyrics still hit me:

My mind is like an orchard
Clustered in frozen portraits
Blossoms that bloom so fine, just to drop from the vine
I've seen them all tonight

Who'd keep a silent orchard
I'll shove it all to the floor boards
Her rusty heart starts to whine, in its tell tale time so
For freedom tonight

@Charlie Steiner up, then?

11.06 Skylarking, XTC (1986)

Todd Rundgren's best record and the most perfect pop album i know. Don't know of a better producing job since Sgt Pepper

Grass - cant think of anything more i'd want to ruminate from a desert island on than "over & over we flatten the clover"

The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul - one of my very favorite singing songs

@PIK95
big on Dear God as well

fun, interesting listen to Todd on Jonesy's Jukebox about this album and a couple of other things

- XTC Skylarking Production starts at 14:15

- if you like the New York Dolls - production of their 1st album starts at 5:20

- for @Mrs. Rannous ...a perspective and opinion about the origin of the "repetitive, long choruses"  is from 3:00 - 5:20 

1."Elevator Operator"

2."Pedestrian at Best"

4."Small Poppies"

5."Depreston"

6."Aqua Profunda!"

7."Dead Fox"

9."Debbie Downer"

10."Kim's Caravan"

11."Boxing Day Blues"

@Steve Tasker
Another one I was staring at for my next pick. 

11.14: Donald Fagan - Kamakiriad (1993)

I had slowly been losing interest in what was popular music since the late 80's, so I was pretty happy when this came out. It was probably also one of the earliest times my sense of nostalgia had been triggered, mainly I would say because even though this was a 'new' album, it recalled all the greatness that he had given us for 20+ years at that point. Don't know if it would be considered blasphemy, but I would put this work side by side with most of his Steely Dan material.

For the Spotify list: Tomorrow's Girls and Countermoon

@The Dreaded Marco

fun, interesting listen to Todd on Jonesy's Jukebox about this album and a couple of other things

- XTC Skylarking Production starts at 14:15

- if you like the New York Dolls - production of their 1st album starts at 5:20

- for @Mrs. Rannous ...a perspective and opinion about the origin of the "repetitive, long choruses"  is from 3:00 - 5:20 
What the heck is Jonesy's Jukebox, and how do I find it?

11.12 TV on the Radio, Return to Cookie Mountain (2006)

Wolf Like Me
Blues from Down Here

When the moon is round and full
Gonna teach you tricks that'll blow your mongrel mind

Calling an audible here. Was all set to go in a different direction, but I'll be waiting a good while for my next pick, so it's gotta be this one. My favorite TVOTR album, and I've taken it (and individual songs from it) quite a bit earlier in past drafts, but I feel I got a better sense of the drafters' priorities this time around. :lmao:
I shouldn't have said anything....   :lmao:

How is the cat biz?
It rained all day yesterday, so I didn't try get the black cat last night. Saturday night I won't try since the vet that helps me might have Memorial Day plans. Maybe I'll try again next Tuesday. I have only seen it a handful of times, but I know it is out there. A man that rents storage space for his boats and truck a couple buildings down sees it more than I do. He feeds three of the cats that hang out over there. I knew someone had to have been feeding those three, because they rarely came around anymore during chow time. I met him for the first time a couple weeks ago. It makes it harder to get this cat when it is visiting both areas. One night a couple weeks ago the cat kept going from one side to the other, and so I kept switching locations. It seemed to being having a good time ####### with me.   <_<   

Its Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols who has been doing a rock interview show in LA for quite a few years now
Reminded me of one of Rush's interviews when they were talking about when they went to South America for a tour.  No one had really done that at that point, and they had no idea what to expect.  The crowds were huge, and everyone knew every lyric.  They were stunned.

11.xx  Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West (1997)

I can't wait on this one any longer.  I took it in the 5-10-15-20 draft and was going to not double up but if this is truly a desert island draft then I have to have this one.

Like I said then, their first 3 albums are some of my favorites.  The past couple have not been nearly as good, IMO---never listen to them anymore.  But I have played this album more than almost any other.

They're still usually excellent in concert so I'll keep going despite the setlist not being as much to my liking.

Heart Cooks Brain

Bankrupt on Selling

@shuke

Users who are viewing this thread