What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (3 Viewers)

Seems greatest hits-ish
All non-album cuts

If the boss says repick I will with no further objection however

Would rather this on my island in the 11th round than someone else's but if nobody gets it fine!

Last edited by a moderator:
All non-album cuts

Would rather this on my island in the 11th round than someone else's but if nobody gets it fine!
If Bruce 75-85 was legal, I can't see how this isn't.  Don't know about getting volume 1 AND 2 though.

11.23 - The Smile Sessions - The Beach Boys (recorded 1966-7, released 2011)

A collection of tracks originally recorded for the great lost Beach Boys album Smile.  It was originally supposed to be the band's followup to Pet Sounds but was abandoned because of a variety of commercial, legal and health related reasons. Smile takes everything you loved and/or hated about Pet Sounds and kicks it up a notch.

The reconstructed Smile makes up the first 19 tracks of the album, which closely follows the track listing for Brian Wilson's 2004 solo rerecording of the songs.  Also included are 21 extra cuts, demos and alternate versions that probably aren't essential but are an interesting glimpse into the mind of a mad genius.

I've listened to most of the band's catalog over the years and I think I'm getting their best available album with this pick.  Some of the material from the original session was released as singles and on other Beach Boys albums but the 19-track Smile is a true album that's cohesive in its vision and weirdness.  Plus, I get to listen to Good Vibrations while chilling on the beach.

Good Vibrations

Surf's Up

A collection of tracks originally recorded for the great lost Beach Boys album Smile.  It was originally supposed to be the band's followup to Pet Sounds but was abandoned because of a variety of commercial, legal and health related reasons. Smile takes everything you loved and/or hated about Pet Sounds and kicks it up a notch.

The reconstructed Smile makes up the first 19 tracks of the album, which closely follows the track listing for Brian Wilson's 2004 solo rerecording of the songs.  Also included are 21 extra cuts, demos and alternate versions that probably aren't essential but are an interesting glimpse into the mind of a mad genius.

I've listened to most of the band's catalog over the years and I think I'm getting their best available album with this pick.  Some of the material from the original session was released as singles and on other Beach Boys albums but the 19-track Smile is a true album that's cohesive in its vision and weirdness.  Plus, I get to listen to Good Vibrations while chilling on the beach.

Good Vibrations

Surf's Up
Hero's and Villains is my jam!

My opinion is that (1) the Past Masters collections (any of them) are clear violations of the rules, and (2) people should still take them if they wish.  I’m being strict on what I’m taking, including my own made-up rule about not including the Beatles US releases, but I couldn’t care less if others want to bend or break.

My opinion is that (1) the Past Masters collections (any of them) are clear violations of the rules, and (2) people should still take them if they wish.  I’m being strict on what I’m taking, including my own made-up rule about not including the Beatles US releases, but I couldn’t care less if others want to bend or break.
I don't want to break or bend the rules at all, so once it's explained to me how I've broken the rules - unintentionally I swear despite some implications in here - I'll repick or NV can come in and just say yo, repick and I will

Basically this. It's greatest hits-y but I let Hey Jude album slide, I can't very well kick out Past Masters

I don't want to break or bend the rules at all, so once it's explained to me how I've broken the rules - unintentionally I swear despite some implications here - I'll repick or NV can come in and just say yo, repick and I will
Officially there's no rule on compilations, so it's 100% on whether we call it greatest hits or not. So the singles are all big hits but it has all the b-sides too which makes it a grey area. 

Officially there's no rule on compilations, so it's 100% on whether we call it greatest hits or not. So the singles are all big hits but it has all the b-sides too which makes it a grey area. 
Ah, I was wrong, then.  I thought there was a rule against compilations, which Eephus was breaking with joy and impunity.  

The Beatles' red and blue albums are clearly greatest hits as is the "1" album.  I think Past Masters and Anthology are more like the rarities compilations that I've been cherry picking for a week.

I always thought the idea of Past Masters is that it was non-album cuts but I can't really go in and break it down track by track so consider me bailed, if somebody else wants it OK

Wasn't aware of the Late Night Tales series. Will definitely try to check it out.
Late Night Tales is a mixtape series like DJ Kicks where they get artists to create a disc-long chillout mix.  At their best, they can reveal an artist's eclectic influences and fetishes.  At their worst, they're still interesting.

All non-album cuts

@Eephus essentially took one of the volumes with the Hey Jude selection- that went out of print and kind of became Past Masters.

Good Vibrations

Surf's Up
Definitely was under consideration for me. Some uneven moments, but the great moments are among the best they ever did. I view “Surf’s Up” in particular in the Boys’  upper echelon.

Round 11  -  Streets of Fire  (Soundtrack)  (1984)

Sorcerer  -  If it's available, I want the movie track, not the Stevie Nicks cover of her own song.  This version is sung by Marilyn Martin.

Nowhere Fast

I love every song here.  I feel the need to link this one, too.  And this Ry Cooder song, Hold That Snake.

Deal, people.
It crossed my mind but didn't make the final cut; glad to see it got here anyway.  Gutsy call with Sorcerer.

p.s. you should see if you can get one of those combo DVD/DVR players and take the movie with you as well.

I swear to God I was thinking the other night that nobody -- I mean nobody -- that I've seen has taken Belle and Sebastian in any draft I've been a part of.

Color that mystery finished and put to bed. 
I'm pretty sure they have been drafted in the past, although it may have been years ago. I saw them about three years ago with someone who hasn't been drafted yet. Their lineup had changed slightly since the 90s, but they sounded great. 

I'm pretty sure they have been drafted in the past, although it may have been years ago. I saw them about three years ago with someone who hasn't been drafted yet. Their lineup had changed slightly since the 90s, but they sounded great. 
I saw that tour in Maryland too

A certain someone who has too many good albums to choose from

Yeah, I probably missed it along the way, but I've sort of always had my eye out.

@Eephus essentially took one of the volumes with the Hey Jude selection- that went out of print and because Past Masters.
It's not quite a match.  Hey Jude has some tracks omitted from original US albums that aren't on either volume of Past Masters.  The latter has all kinds of other cool junk too.

It is raining so hard out. There is a retention pond that has gold fish in it, and whenever consecutive days of rain or a big storm comes through, it overflows into this small area with dirt and grass, and the gold fish spill over and get stuck.  Once the water recedes in a few days they are doomed. It is going to rain until Saturday. I know I shouldn't do it with all this weird health stuff going on, but I'm sure I'll be out there Saturday with a tank net and rain boots scooping them up to toss them back into the retention pond so they don't die. I need to put something in that section that has small holes where the water can get through, but not the fish. We'll see. I'd get my friend Steve to help, but he hasn't been practicing social distancing, so I don't want him near me.  :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread