What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (2 Viewers)

Round 12.03 - Mental Floss For The Globe - Urban Dance Squad - (1989)

I wavered heavily on this pick. It's -- at the least -- crossover madness, potential poseur alert. But this little nugget popped into my head the other day and wouldn't let me go. I said, "This is No Kid!" To which it responded. "A Deeper Shade Of Soul, brother."

Formed in the Netherlands around 1986, UDS came to the fore to bring an eclectic sound to the masses. One of the first to incorporate a live band as well as a D.J. they had a semi-hit on MTV sounding the alert around the time we were, um, waking up from history. Long may all that open-mindedness and sharing still live.

Just dopeness from Europe, even.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are several other albums that are a little higher on my personal list, but I feel like this one is at more risk of being sniped than most of the others. 

It's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off for him.

12.06 Broken Bells – Broken Bells (2010)

I am not a giant Shins fan nor do I really know anything about Danger Mouse other than he is famous for being a producer, DJ, and whatnot. So I wasn’t predisposed to love this album. But I do.

It also has personal meaning for me. This album and Gorillaz’s Plastic Beach were in heavy rotation in my life as I was going through a divorce and falling in love with a new woman, who is now my wife!

There were a bunch of singles off this album and I liked them all, but I am going to continue to be that guy who selects “deep cuts” (such a stupid term) as the songs for the playlist. These really are my two favorites though. But I have to give a nod to Christina Hendricks in the Ghost Inside video

Songs:

Your Head is on Fire

The Mall & Misery

I wavered heavily on this pick. It's at the least crossover madness, potential poseur alert. But this little nugget popped into my head the other day and wouldn't let me go. I said, "This is No Kid!" To which it responded. "A Deeper Shade Of Soul, brother."

Formed in the Netherlands around 1986, UDS came to the fore to bring an eclectic sound to the masses. One of the first to incorporate a live band as well as a D.J. they had a semi-hit on MTV sounding the alert around the time we were, um, waking up from history. Long may all that open-mindedness and sharing still live.

Woow, this takes me back. I was a big fan of this as a kid. Haven't heard this in years. Definitely going to put this on. 

01.35 U2-The Unforgettable Fire 1984

02.06 The Clash-The Clash 1977

03.35 The The-Soul Mining 1983

04.06 The Pogues-Live in London (w/Joe Strummer) 1991

05.35 Jane's Addiction-Nothing's Shocking 1988

06.06 Alice in Chains-Jar of Flies 1994

07.35 Dr. Dre-The Chronic 1992

08.06 Gorillaz-Plastic Beach 2010

09.35 Killing Joke-Killing Joke 2003

10.06 Bobby Blue Bland-Two Steps From The Blues 1961

11.35 Sinead O'Connor-I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got 1990

12.06 Broken Bells-Broken Bells 2010

@Ilov80s and I messaged about this band last week. I considered veering from my board after he took one as I didn't want to miss out, even though I suspected they wouldn't be on a lot of radars. But before I did I took a spin through both of their remaining albums on my list. And it occurred to me why I wrote down both and not just **Redacted**. <---That is going to be the more popular selection whenever it gets made, but I don't think it's the better album. Some damn good jams in there, but there are at least a couple times it loses me. I don't get lost in this one. Like **Redacted**, I'm engaged beginning with track two (because the singles suck), but unlike **Redacted** it keeps my attention and I'm left wanting more when the final cord is hit on Effect & The Cause. I was listening and constantly thinking 'wow, what a phenomenal sequence of music,' and thinking I'd write about that - but then it didn't stop. The next one was just as good and they all flowed together. I got through a spin that night and thought it may just be recency bias because I hadn't listened to this album in a few years, so I slept on it. But it wasn't. So it's gotten queued up at least a handful of times since.

I intended to wait on **Redacted** to get picked before pulling the trigger. Because I probably could wait on this. But since the well's running dry on classics and I'm watching other more modern favorites starting to go (Presidents and Primus) I think it's time.

12.7 - The White Stripes - Icky Thump (2007)

Rag & Bone

Catch Hell Blues

That might be the most difficult two song selection I've made so far.

@Dr. Octopus

I wavered heavily on this pick. It's -- at the least -- crossover madness, potential poseur alert. But this little nugget popped into my head the other day and wouldn't let me go. I said, "This is No Kid!" To which it responded. "A Deeper Shade Of Soul, brother."

Deeper Shade of Soul is great. 

Woow, this takes me back. I was a big fan of this as a kid. Haven't heard this in years. Definitely going to put this on. 
I think it holds up really well if you like independent rap. If you're accustomed to bigger sounds this might not fit the taste profile and there were/and are certainly others that would fit the bill on a desert island.

Pretty sure I have this one on vinyl.  Dance music was about the last genre that was still generating promo vinyl for used record bins.

Absolutely sure I haven't thought about it in forever.
Well, I'll be. That sounds cool. I hadn't thought about it in forever until I moved to CT in my late twenties, found all my old cassettes, fired one up, and listened. It sounded really good, thirteen or so years later. 

I just started a separate playlist that I am calling "all timers" for the individual songs that I think are just peerless.

So far the only two I have added so far are Back to Black and Biko.

Wish You Were Here is on deck.

I'm finally giving it a go to listen to more of this Frightened Rabbit album, and I gotta say I have a visceral reaction to all of it.  I'm not even listening to the lyrics, but from moment one in each song so far I'm sucked in, in a powerful and almost frightening (no pun intended) way.  The first moments of this guy's voice each time are killing me.  This is an extreme emotional response I haven't had to new (to me) music in ages.  I don't know whether I love or hate this feeling at the moment, but I can barely breathe.  I'm in a bit of a funk, so it's a little harder to deal with than usual.  

@Ilov80s and I messaged about this band last week. I considered veering from my board after he took one as I didn't want to miss out, even though I suspected they wouldn't be on a lot of radars. But before I did I took a spin through both of their remaining albums on my list. And it occurred to me why I wrote down both and not just **Redacted**. <---That is going to be the more popular selection whenever it gets made, but I don't think it's the better album. Some damn good jams in there, but there are at least a couple times it loses me. I don't get lost in this one. Like **Redacted**, I'm engaged beginning with track two (because the singles suck), but unlike **Redacted** it keeps my attention and I'm left wanting more when the final cord is hit on Effect & The Cause. I was listening and constantly thinking 'wow, what a phenomenal sequence of music,' and thinking I'd write about that - but then it didn't stop. The next one was just as good and they all flowed together. I got through a spin that night and thought it may just be recency bias because I hadn't listened to this album in a few years, so I slept on it. But it wasn't. So it's gotten queued up at least a handful of times since.

I intended to wait on **Redacted** to get picked before pulling the trigger. Because I probably could wait on this. But since the well's running dry on classics and I'm watching other more modern favorites starting to go (Presidents and Primus) I think it's time.

12.7 - The White Stripes - Icky Thump (2007)

Rag & Bone

Catch Hell Blues
Big fan of this one, and I might prefer it to [redacted] too. Caught me off-guard, I actually wasn't expecting much from it. And "Rag & Bone" is fun as hell. "Little Cream Soda" rules too. 

Big fan of this one, and I might prefer it to [redacted] too. Caught me off-guard, I actually wasn't expecting much from it. And "Rag & Bone" is fun as hell. "Little Cream Soda" rules too. 
That sequence from prickly thorn through cream soda into rag & bone is what I was referring to, but then...it just never stopped. And I remembered why I used to listen to the hell out of this thing. It's back in now! 

I'm finally giving it a go to listen to more of this Frightened Rabbit album, and I gotta say I have a visceral reaction to all of it.  I'm not even listening to the lyrics, but from moment one in each song so far I'm sucked in, in a powerful and almost frightening (no pun intended) way.  The first moments of this guy's voice each time are killing me.  This is an extreme emotional response I haven't had to new (to me) music in ages.  I don't know whether I love or hate this feeling at the moment, but I can barely breathe.  I'm in a bit of a funk, so it's a little harder to deal with than usual.  
Maybe skip 'Floating in the Forth'...

He wrote some great songs.  

The 4 album run from The Midnight Organ Fight through Painting of a Panic Attack is pretty great.

He also had an excellent solo album and collaborated with another band to release another very good album just before his suicide.  

zamboni said:
10.38: Moby Grape - Moby Grape (1967)

A pioneering album from the early SF-based psychedelic movement that combined folk, blues, country, jazz and rock. Very unheralded musicianship - with a three guitar attack - led by Skip Spence, who was in other bands not to be mentioned yet and lived a very colorful life. And all the band members sang. But like many before and after them, drugs did them in and they didn't last long enough.

Will pick their most "popular' songs:

Hey Grandma

Omaha
Didn't see this on the Spotify machine.

I have too many dumb movie --- song associations in my head.  Now every time I head Master of Puppets I think of Old School.  

Maybe skip 'Floating in the Forth'...
I listened to five songs and then had to stop.  I felt like I might cry or vomit or both simultaneously.

He wrote some great songs.  

The 4 album run from The Midnight Organ Fight through Painting of a Panic Attack is pretty great.

He also had an excellent solo album and collaborated with another band to release another very good album just before his suicide.  
I'll definitely get there...

Didn't see the Lorde, Primus, and Broken Bells picks until entering tracks.  Love those picks too - I had eyed up all of them, but for sure prefer one album more from one of them and still might draft later if available.  

Also like seeing some metal slowly trickling into the mix (even if it does make me nervous about some sniping happening soon).  

don't mind me during these covid times. i'm pretty much the guy living on the couch in here at this point.

gave the shuffle a run

Presidents of the USA Back Porch - Yeah, forgot how much I liked these guys. used to listen to this w my little sis and made her a cassette tape of it back in the 90s. i'm pretty sure she still has it

Grateful Dead Ripple - haven't listened to a lot of dead

Suicidal Tendencies Institutionalized - When did this get picked? All I wanted was a Pepsi just one Pepsi. I'm not crazy you're the one who's crazy. takes me back

AIC  Rooster (Unplugged) - Yes. I think I like this better than the studio version

King Crimson 21st Century Shizoid Man - I thought this album art was from Pink Floyd's The Wall until recently. I dig the scuzzy vocals and the horns.

Art Garfunkle All I Know - First off, I really enjoyed the fact that this came on after King Crimson. the segue was better than it should have been. I don't know that I have heard this before but i like it

Bobby "Blue" Bland I Pity the Fool - see Garfunkle, Art. except it didnt come after crimson

Creedence Clearwater Revival I Heard it Through the Grapevine - I don't remember what round this was taken, but I remember thinking when it was taken that this album probably wouldn't have lasted that long if I was drafting. as for the song, chooooooon

Fleet Foxes White Winter Hymnal - I've only dipped my toes in the Fleet Foxes water. good song. might need a deeper dive.

The Strokes Hard to Explain - Is This It is probably a top 5 album for me. This is one of the better songs on an album devoid of a skippable song. Love

Random thoughts after 10 songs:

Bands that most otherslike that you don't get: The Beatles

My Michelle....what a pick from Appetite.

I'm finally giving it a go to listen to more of this Frightened Rabbit album, and I gotta say I have a visceral reaction to all of it.  I'm not even listening to the lyrics, but from moment one in each song so far I'm sucked in, in a powerful and almost frightening (no pun intended) way.  The first moments of this guy's voice each time are killing me.  This is an extreme emotional response I haven't had to new (to me) music in ages.  I don't know whether I love or hate this feeling at the moment.  I'm in a bit of a funk, so it's a little harder to deal with than usual.  
Wow. This is really good stuff.

My Michelle....what a pick from Appetite.
You can thank  @rockaction for that one. I gave him editor's choice on Nevermind and Appetite (only song I really wanted was Sweet Child O' Mine) as I would be happy with any of the songs and it wasn't like I was really bringing something new to the table. If you are in a music draft you have better ####### heard of Nirvana and GnR. Also, keeping up the playlists and whatnot is a thankless job so why not a perk or two?

You can thank  @rockaction for that one. I gave him editor's choice on Nevermind and Appetite (only song I really wanted was Sweet Child O' Mine) as I would be happy with any of the songs and it wasn't like I was really bringing something new to the table. If you are in a music draft you have better ####### heard of Nirvana and GnR. Also, keeping up the playlists and whatnot is a thankless job so why not a perk or two?
Hey rcam, thanks for the shout, but I think maybe NV or someone took it. No big deal, unless I'm really misremembering. I'm flummoxed. 

eta* You might mean Karma Police, who is doing the Spotify lists. Peace...

Hey rcam, thanks for the shout, but I think maybe NV or someone took it. No big deal, unless I'm really misremembering. I'm flummoxed. 

eta* You might mean Karma Police, who is doing the Spotify lists. Peace...
Ah.. you are right. I thought it was you... but it does appear to be @KarmaPolice.

Ah.. you are right. I thought it was you... but it does appear to be @KarmaPolice.
Oh snap - yes it was I who added My Michelle.  Love that song, and figured it might be a little off the board.  If I have control of Nevermind as well I will have to look at those picks now.  I don't remember seeing a post for picks, and just picking 2 non-Teen Spirit songs for a placeholder.  

- 4:27 a.m. shufflin' shennanigans -

🎶 🚬  :coffee:  🚬 🎶

A More Perfect Union - Titus Andronicus

zips right into my personal Spotty list - best kickoff yet. was gonna say "imagine Bruce with some sack", so i did.  can't wait to dig deeper, big fan  :tebow:  10+

Sugarfoot - BJL & The Honeybears

ya know when a tune grabs you from jump? right here. the horns up in this one rock harder than some of the geetarr i've been hearing - is he the new hardest working man in the biz?  9.0

Witch Hunt - Rush 

seems to be some stirring about here in the beginning  :unsure:  guess there's a posse being formed - keep thinking of this guy  :shrug:  it's cool that we got out in slightly over 4 minutes - never a band i considered, this doesn't do much to change that - they can play the devil out their bad selves, tho - not horrible, actually - 6.5

All I Want - The Cure

big fan of Smiff, as giant a talent as we've seen, no doubt ... but file me under the few who didn't love "Kiss Me×3" - falls flat here, too messy - 5.5

Ready For Love - Free the Hoople

tough to get excited about a cover originally done by one of my favorite bands (including a Bowie sax solo) ... but, it was Mick's song, and his vocals on the original were a pleasant surprise - thin and reedy - but more evocative than Paul's "punch the clock" effort here ... too nondescript in comparision - 5.0

Woodshtick - CSNWHY

HIPPIE HEAVEN!1! but ol' Neil doesn't strike me as such - he rescues this one - 6.0

Pusherman - Superfly

we segue from the masses bathing in filth ...  straight to the street - the urgency and message of this one is titanic in comparison to the lovefest prior - six minutes that pack nothing but the funked up soul - 10

No Quarter - Zeppo

not for me ... i love them,  but it's always been "No Go" - 5.5

Point Blank - Jersey Boy

i don't like Bruce. not gonna belabor that.  i do love this offering from that platter, tho, very much so.  but, uhhh - this here "Point Blank" is sinister sounding - claustrophobic, even. love the vibe, it's smokey - just lit up another cig - did he really hit me with some ambiance?  10

UMI Says - Mos Def 

melodic and soulful enough, won't skip when it reappears - but i won't be diving deeper, either - 5.5

tally:

2 cups

9 smokes 

10 tunes 

7.3 avg

... finding some real gems, and very cool with the diversity of offerings - no matter if SMASH or TRASH -  they make up a pretty sweet sonic tapestry.

Is there a tragic story here too, or just the music is evocative of that?
Yes, the singer killed himself.

Round 12 Blue Valentine - Tom Waits (1978)

I love this guy but had a tough time figuring out which album to represent. So I settled somewhere in between his jazzy crooner phase and his complete wackadoodle phase.

Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis

A Sweet Little Bullet From A Pretty Blue Gun
I want one of his, too, and have had a helluva time deciding.  Nice pick.

Ilov80s said:
Two Hearts Collide by Level 42:  I couldn’t possibly know less about what this is. I need an explanation on this.
I trust you at least have heard of Level 42; they had one hit in the U.S., Something About You.  Their sound doesn't really fit neatly into any one genre, but for some reason it made my ears happy.  The reason I picked this specific song is strictly for its personal significance to me as a souvenir of the time I was a star-crossed lover.

I trust you at least have heard of Level 42; they had one hit in the U.S., Something About You.  Their sound doesn't really fit neatly into any one genre, but for some reason it made my ears happy.  The reason I picked this specific song is strictly for its personal significance to me as a souvenir of the time I was a star-crossed lover.
Nope totally unfamilair to me but I played Something About You and do recognize it 👍

Users who are viewing this thread