What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (4 Viewers)

Discussion topic:

Which other draft participant is your Desert Island Disc doppleganger?

For me, it seems like @Yo Mama is the closest to me in overall music tastes, with @MAC_32 running not too far behind.
@KarmaPolice is the first to come to mind for me, he covers a lot of the same bases

Generally speaking, anyway.  I haven't perused all the lineups here

Last edited by a moderator:
Discussion topic:

I don't think I have one. I mean, a lot of my tastes intersect with others here - Binky, simey, cos, zamboni, krista, and others - but, in a draft like this, my overall haul isn't going to look much like anyone else's.

Gonna put off the classics again to take this:

Okkervil River - The Stage Names (2007)

From one of my favorite years of music ever. I put this album on and so many great memories come back from around this time (including opening for these guys!). Not a skippable track on here, a true long player. Will is such an amazing songwriter. Really struggled to pick the songs.

Our Life Is Not A Movie Or Maybe 

Unless It's Kicks
This is another band that I've never really gotten into, but "Our Life Is Not A Movie Or Maybe" is a real gem.

just surfing away and found another bit of conversation about "Dear God" and the Skylarking album between Todd and Steve Jones.  This is about a year later from the other interview clip. 

It starts at 1:11:20 and goes for a few minutes.  Love these "what really happened/behind the scenes" stories. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBoqcQTY8zo

Andy Partridge can't stand him.
one missing element here is that Runt saying Partridge always hadda be the smartest guy in the room is kinda like the President saying "You never listen". i love the guy, but i know why all that talent is underappreciated. you're seeing the old man version of him w Jonesy. backinaday, first 90 seconds, he'd fire 6 things off the top off his head that would take you a year to formulate, if not understand, 90 seconds later he'd ask you why you hadnt done em all yet, 90 seconds later he'd be accusing you of conspiring against him, 90 seconds later he'd be shining someone else. he got a LOT of #### onto Sklarking, which is to the credit of all three major parties involved.

I saw a title with this band in it last night from a Tim thread, and figured I better go ahead and take it incase it jogged other's memories. This is my favorite album by the band. George Harrison originally produced some of it, but got too busy, and so Todd Rundgren took over and finished producing it.  I love the power pop on it, and it's too bad the band's future would end so tragically.

Round 13

Straight Up - Badfinger (1972 UK)

Day After Day

Baby Blue

one missing element here is that Runt saying Partridge always hadda be the smartest guy in the room is kinda like the President saying "You never listen". i love the guy, but i know why all that talent is underappreciated. you're seeing the old man version of him w Jonesy. backinaday, first 90 seconds, he'd fire 6 things off the top off his head that would take you a year to formulate, if not understand, 90 seconds later he'd ask you why you hadnt done em all yet, 90 seconds later he'd be accusing you of conspiring against him, 90 seconds later he'd be shining someone else. he got a LOT of #### onto Sklarking, which is to the credit of all three major parties involved.
It's telling that Rundgren has produced exactly one album for a lot of acts

I saw a title with this band in it last night from a Tim thread, and figured I better go ahead and take it incase it jogged other's memories. This is my favorite album by the band. George Harrison originally produced some of it, but got too busy, and so Todd Rundgren took over and finished producing it.  I love the power pop on it, and it's too bad the band's future would end so tragically.

Round 13

Day After Day

Baby Blue
sniped

in response to Redmond's "who drafts stuff similar to you" question - simey came to mind

this solidifies it.  

“Three in the chamber”. So if we go that way for the weekend, 3 people are up at all times. It’s a good way to keep things moving without enforcing a strict clock on weekends when people don’t want to be glued to the draft. 
So once it gets to 3 people who are gone for a few days, the draft doesn't move?

Round 13

Day After Day

Baby Blue
You don't snipe me often lady but you done did 

Does anyone else think on Day After Day the vocal sounds sorta like Eric Clapton?  I've always thought that.  Mr. Leon Russell is the one pattering on the piano.

The Harder They Come is showing tonight on TCM at 11PM PDT

⭐⭐⭐⭐
Misread that as Wikkid pointed out. Makes more sense, I was wondering why that was posted here, thought maybe I accidentally clicked on the movie thread.

Andy Partridge can't stand him.
And Andy Partridge threatened to split your head open with an axe?s

Yeah, that actually happened. [Laughs.] But that was Andy. He could turn on Andy’s kind of charm, in his passive-aggressive way. But then every once in a while, some seething rage in him would just spill out. And that was a moment.

Discussion topic:

For me, it seems like @Yo Mama is the closest to me in overall music tastes, with @MAC_32 running not too far behind.
After reviewing each drafter's selections so far I don't think we're far enough for me to answer...yet. There are several that are in the conversation, but now that the classics are starting to dwindle and we dig into what everyone really wants from their own particular tier 2 I think the picture will really clear up.

One thing I can say with certainty, if I were about 15 years older I think I'd be lock step with @Binky The Doormat and @Dr. Octopus.

as we enter the holiday weekend and people are busy with friends and family (as best they can) ...the Todd/Andy Partridge experience has pushed me towards finding/remembering some other similar experiences and/or more information on it.  

so apologies to those who are already sick of seeing the discussion around it - I started relistening to Marc Maron's interview with him in 2016 and am going to post snippet times about particular subjects for those that want to hear - without listening to the entire podcast.  

as we enter the holiday weekend and people are busy with friends and family (as best they can) ...the Todd/Andy Partridge experience has pushed me towards finding/remembering some other similar experiences and/or more information on it.  

so apologies to those who are already sick of seeing the discussion around it - I started relistening to Marc Maron's interview with him in 2016 and am going to post snippet times about particular subjects for those that want to hear - without listening to the entire podcast.  
The excellent XTC documentary touches on it briefly.

Discussion topic:

I have a couple.  Tasker and I always have some overlaps on the electronic/dance side if I remember right.  Someone has really been killing me though.  I'll look.  Yo Mamma had my number early, but fell off my stuff of late.

After reviewing each drafter's selections so far I don't think we're far enough for me to answer...yet. There are several that are in the conversation, but now that the classics are starting to dwindle and we dig into what everyone really wants from their own particular tier 2 I think the picture will really clear up.

One thing I can say with certainty, if I were about 15 years older I think I'd be lock step with @Binky The Doormat and @Dr. Octopus.
I actually was thinking you three were close to my tastes.  I haven't even touched a couple of my genre's yet, but you may see it later.

The excellent XTC documentary touches on it briefly.
definitely will watch this weekend.

just kind of hanging with the family - my daughter was headed out to some friends' lake house till Monday, but the mom tested positive for covid-19 ...so she's bummed.  

we'll play some games and come up with some good stuff to cook

I was just talking about this draft with my wife. After she got done rolling her eyes at me, we were talking about bands for a few minutes and she reminded me of something I had forgotten: the drummer from a Seattle band that has had an album drafted literally gave a friend of hers herpes. Not that amusing, really. Except for which band it was. :lol:

I was just talking about this draft with my wife. After she got done rolling her eyes at me, we were talking about bands for a few minutes and she reminded me of something I had forgotten: the drummer from a Seattle band that has had an album drafted literally gave a friend of hers herpes. Not that amusing, really. Except for which band it was. :lol:
You're among friends.  We won't tell.

I actually was thinking you three were close to my tastes.  I haven't even touched a couple of my genre's yet, but you may see it later.
Looking at your early selections there is not much cross-over appeal (although i still need to spin your Arcade Fire recommendations), but I recalled you speaking up about several other selections that did. Then you delivered that Rancid blow, so now I'm left thinking there may be more of those to come and you may work your way up the Doppleganger list. 

Heart?

Users who are viewing this thread