What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (5 Viewers)

I was just talking about this draft with my wife. After she got done rolling her eyes at me, we were talking about bands for a few minutes and she reminded me of something I had forgotten: the drummer from a Seattle band that has had an album drafted literally gave a friend of hers herpes. Not that amusing, really. Except for which band it was. :lol:
The drummer from a Seattle band that has had an album drafted was my best friend in grade school.

I hope it wasn't him.

So I am sitting on a whole pile of albums that I think are safe from being poached. 

So I am going to go with one that I think might be at risk, even if I haven't listened to it a lot recently. But I wore this out in the mid-90s and I am listening to it again right now and it is still just damn good.

A Husker Du album and a Bob Mould solo album have been selected, so I don't think I can wait on this any longer. 

14.06 Copper Blue - Sugar (1992)

If you give me a combo of catchy (almost poppy) melodies, ample helpings of distortion and reverb, and potentially some dark lyrical content, then I am going to like the song or album. It is like an immutable law of physics.

This one delivers on those things, bigly. There are ten songs on this album and I think nine of them are fantastic. Picking two is difficult, but here they are...

Songs:

A Good Idea (love the bass line intro on this one)

Helpless

Really? That's bad stuff for sure. I didn't know this. I just knew the coy way in which Longhorn used Seattle that it was a band off of the beaten path from Seattle grunge, and lo! It was.  Herpes are no fun. 
A friend in college lost her virginity to a frat boy at a TKE party, and he gave her herpes. This TKE house had an annual party called The Guyana Party. It is where they had tubs full of PJ (party juice which is everclear and punch), and it was free for the drinking for anyone. She went to the party and drank the juice, and it hit her hard later, and she was very drunk and evidentally she was taken advantage of from what I understand. I wasn't there. She is a nice person, and it sucked that happened.  One of my sister's long time friends contracted it by hooking up with a guy during a business trip. She met him at the hotel bar, and one thing led to another, and he left her a present. 

14.7 Tenacious D - Self Titled (2001)

It wasn’t hard to figure out why this is alone at the top of my comedy rock list – I was a freshman in college when it was released. It’s a great album – it’s not just hilarious, but it ####### rocks. But a major reason why I go to my happy place whenever I hear a cut from it is because I laugh about the time in my life in which it first entered my orbit. Kinda like how I think a different comedy album sticks out above the rest for those that are about 5 years older than me. And as I’m writing (and listening to) this one of my son’s comes up to me and says ‘I am playing the best game in the world.’ Little does he know the real reason I laughed at that comment. So there’s this part of me that wants to go chalk with the playlist adds – try to draw in more ears that may not be familiar with it. But it strikes me as more fun to drop-trou...and squeeze out a Cleveland steamer on your chest (oooh)...TWO-THREE-FOUR!

#### Her Gently

Rock Your Socks

A friend in college lost her virginity to a frat boy at a TKE party, and he gave her herpes. This TKE house had an annual party called The Guyana Party. It is where they had tubs full of PJ (party juice which is everclear and punch), and it was free for the drinking for anyone. She went to the party and drank the juice, and it hit her hard later, and she was very drunk and evidentally she was taken advantage of from what I understand. I wasn't there. She is a nice person, and it sucked that happened.  One of my sister's long time friends contracted it by hooking up with a guy during a business trip. She met him at the hotel bar, and one thing led to another, and he left her a present. 
Yep. It travels with you. You can't leave herpes in Vegas and say that what goes on here, stays. 

Was listening to it yesterday for the draft too.  :thumbup:  Think someone (coulda been ahrn; I was thinking piratemike for some reason) picked it in a draft ages ago and maybe posted it on the hoof too. It's incredible, but yeah, absolute playlist-buster. :lmao:  
I think Arhn posted it but piratemike had his mind blown in a similar way. It tends to do that. 

So I am sitting on a whole pile of albums that I think are safe from being poached. 

So I am going to go with one that I think might be at risk, even if I haven't listened to it a lot recently. But I wore this out in the mid-90s and I am listening to it again right now and it is still just damn good.

A Husker Du album and a Bob Mould solo album have been selected, so I don't think I can wait on this any longer. 

14.06 Copper Blue - Sugar (1992)

If you give me a combo of catchy (almost poppy) melodies, ample helpings of distortion and reverb, and potentially some dark lyrical content, then I am going to like the song or album. It is like an immutable law of physics.

This one delivers on those things, bigly. There are ten songs on this album and I think nine of them are fantastic. Picking two is difficult, but here they are...

Songs:

A Good Idea (love the bass line intro on this one)

Helpless
#### yeah, great pick. Had been on my shortlist for a couple of rounds. My Bob Mould album of choice. Love "If I Can't Change Your Mind" too.

There is another band that has a whole catalog of these, where the seal hasn't even been broken yet. I bet @rockaction could guess who I am talking about.

definitely will watch this weekend.

just kind of hanging with the family - my daughter was headed out to some friends' lake house till Monday, but the mom tested positive for covid-19 ...so she's bummed.  

we'll play some games and come up with some good stuff to cook
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIeSOSVIvrg 

1)  30:00 - 34:20   how the blues "hopped over" most of our country and onto the UK ...then finally back to the US via the early "English Invasion"

2)  34:20 - 37:35   how his infatuation with Laura Nyro helped to break up the Nazz

3)  42:20 - 48:00   how he got into production and his experience with "The Band" on "Stagefright"

4)  1:23:45 - 1:33:55  deeper, better discussion about XTC, Skylarking, and that "#####" Andy Partridge  :lmao:

Had a pretty good shuffle going earlier so I'm going to post some scattershot positive reactions

• Staralfar is a great tune off a great album. It segued nicely into fagen's tomorrow's girls. Not familiar with fagen outside of the dan but it was aight. But seriously, staralfar (insert old school thumbs up emoji). 
  • Gorillaz plastic beach. I'm a fan of Gorillaz and albarn's stuff in general. I must have been MIA when plastic beach dropped because although I knew of its existence I haven't listened. This song is a freaking tune. Family and possibly neighbors will likely come to know it well
  • Duran Duran planet Earth. I had something in mind when I jotted this one down. Don't remember what it was. Really dig it tho.
  • Suite Judy blue eyes. Love. The harmonies, the guitars playing off each other in each ear. The 70s album production that pans the drums to the left and then leading into the percussion rattling in the right ear before the door Doo doos. #### yeah.
  • Method man rapping over what I assume is a rza beat with Kung Fu movie samples is like comfort food for my 90s hip hop itch. Don't even know if that makes sense. 
  • Built to spill out of site is a fantastic song off nother fantastic album and it segued into LCD Soundsystem I can change. A couple of personal favorite albums b2b there
  • Pink Floyd sheep. This rocked. I'm aware of the wall, wywh, dark side but not animals. I thoroughly enjoyed this 
  • Not a big pearl jam fan but I like vs. animal kicked some ### on the shuffle today
  • Bjork hyperballad. Some of my fav bjork songs are set to that mid 90s electronic dance beats

Tl;Dr: digging the mix

Last edited by a moderator:
I"m shuffling.  I knew there was a famous CSNY song called "Suite:  Judy Blue Eyes," and I knew there was this song that's currently playing, but I never put them together to know that was the name of this song.  :bag:   I really should up my CSNY listening.
Their self titled is a great album. I love Deja Vu too, which was also taken, and the live album.

With the day off, Spent a lot of time outside today in anticipation of a rainy Saturday, put 2hours+ Into the playlist, it was pretty awesome...

here's the mix

• jimmy cliff - harder they come, spectacular choice 
  • stooges - 1970, so good
  • sturgill simpson - welcome to earth, love me some sturgill in this mix
  • rjd2 - the horror, first listen! Good stuff
  • dire straits - walk of life, fantastic
  • the smashing pumpkins  - cherub rock, enjoyed it 
  • Van Halen - ice cream man, fun stuff from vh
  • wings - Picasso's last words, interesting choice 
  • pink Floyd - sheep, classic
  • elvis Costello - party girls, yes!
  • Alice cooper - hello hooray, still catching up on this album, good stuff!
  • slice in chains - rooster , first listen!
  • flying burrito bro's - christines tune, such a great record 
  • chris isaak - fade away, great selection
  • talking heads - pulled up, yes!
  • sheryl crow - my favorite mistake, excellent addition to the mix
  • the doors - la woman, freakin great
  • frightened rabbit - my backwards walk, I need to revisit this record
  • rem - don't go back to rockville, yes!
  • iron maiden - prowler, just getting into maiden, love it
  • inxs - mystify, yes! This record sounds great on vinyl btw
  • kraftwerk - trans euro, still new to kraftwerk, I have a couple of albums, but this is good stuff
  • smithereens - bloody and roses, yes!
  • the the - uncertain smile, haven't heard this in a long time, great selection!
  • crowded house - world where you live, yes!
  • jethro Tull - locomotive breath, nice!
  • Depeche Mode -  black celebration, great choice, expanded the zone for me for dm
  • Hiatt - thing called love, yes!
  • spoon - can I sit next to you, big spoon fan, love having this in the mix
  • black keys - I'm not the one, see above
  • t-Rex - mambo 
  • beastie boys - looking down, not my lane, but enjoyed the heck out of it..

Simply fantastic to see this range in one crazy playlist, keep it coming!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread