What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (8 Viewers)

Since simey took later live Leonard Cohen, I’ll take some early live Leonard Cohen.  A portion of this show was shown in the excellent 2019 documentary, “Marianne & Leonard,” which is well worth seeing.  

14.16 - Leonard Cohen - Live at the Isle of Wight (recorded 1970)

I love the story behind this show, or at least the ending of it.  The Isle of Wight concert had gone horribly off the rails.  More than 500,000 extra people had shown up, and the promoters eventually let everyone in for free.  Cohen came on in the rain at 2 a.m. on the last night of the concert.  Poor Kris Kristofferson, among others, had been booed off the stage after having bottles thrown at him.  During the Jimi Hendrix set that immediately preceded Cohen’s, someone had set the stage on fire. 

So here was Cohen, under the influence of a significant amount of Mandrax, and everyone expected the worst.  Instead, something magical happened.  He started by asking each person in the crowd to light a match so that he could see them and that they would “sparkle like fireflies at each of your different heights.”  He made a vast space seem warm and intimate. It immediately mesmerized and calmed the crowd, and the set that followed was brilliant.

I’m choosing Bird on the Wire not just because it’s a favorite but because it was the first song on the set list, and I swear I can feel the crowd becoming transfixed.

And second I choose Suzanne because it’s my favorite Cohen song.  I wish he’d written my favorite song about the very lovely Marianne instead of the awful Suzanne, but what can you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Judge Smails trying to ruin Chaos Commish's draft?  :lol:  
I peeked last night and won't visit the thread again. I've never looked at the original DI either.  I wish I was done with classic rock. 60% of my first ten picks. I'm probably not. The unpluggeds cause whiffs on Townes. Steely Dan and Frampton cost me Cash@Folsom. No regrets on SD (other than a big vbd blunder), but the Frampton stings. I will be pretty quirky, way off the radar with a half dozen picks @30 rounds. Next four are probably not mentioned in that thread, probably safe for snipes, trying to determine vbd just in case.

While we're waiting, curious how many of the artists you've chosen you've seen live.  I'll start.

Radiohead - yes
Led Zeppelin - no.  Saw that Plant/Page tour early 90's.
Blind Faith - no.  Have seen Winwood and Clapton solo.
Arcade Fire - god I wish, but no.
Wilco - yes
Grateful Dead - yes
My Morning Jacket - yes
Phish - yes
Band of Horses - yes
Yes - ironically, not "yes"
Traffic - no.  Was supposed to see them during their reunion tour opening for the Dead, but something happened on the way to the show. 
Ben Folds Five - no, but have seen Ben solo
The War on Drugs - no

Since simey took later live Leonard Cohen, I’ll take some early live Leonard Cohen.  A portion of this show was shown in the excellent 2019 documentary, “Marianne & Leonard,” which is well worth seeing.  

14.16 - Leonard Cohen - Live at the Isle of Wight (recorded 1970)
Woman. Judge Smails Schmails. 

While we're waiting, curious how many of the artists you've chosen you've seen live.  I'll start.

Radiohead - yes
Wilco - yes
Grateful Dead - yes
My Morning Jacket - yes
Phish - yes
Band of Horses - yes
Traffic - no.  Was supposed to see them during their reunion tour opening for the Dead, but something happened on the way to the show. 
The War on Drugs - no

Radiohead - YES

The Cure - YES

Neutral Milk Hotel - YES

Pixies - YES

Wilco - YES

The Kinks - YES (1st concert ever)

Bruce Springsteen - YES

XTC - NO

Joy Division - NO (I did see a band member play the album start to finish though---fan####ingtastic) 

Interpol - YES

Modest Mouse - YES

The Smiths - NO (Morrissey - YES)

The Walkmen - YES

Radiohead - yes
Wilco - yes
Grateful Dead - yes
My Morning Jacket - yes
Phish - yes
Band of Horses - yes
The War on Drugs - no

Arcade Fire yes

Bruce Springsteen yes

The Strokes yes

U2 yes

Frightened Rabbit yes

Neil Young yes

Franz Ferdinand yes

David Bowie no

Ramones no

Arctic Monkeys yes

Courtney Barnett yes

The Hold Steady yes

The Killers yes

Radiohead - yes
Wilco - yes
Grateful Dead - yes
My Morning Jacket - yes
Phish - yes
Band of Horses - yes
The War on Drugs - no

Just happened to catch Beatles, Doors and Zep on the same bill.. it was ####### liiiit!!

,S, tho seen Dio, Def Lep, Soundgarden, Hold Steady, Yeah Yeah Yeahs

I still have my London Nirvana tickets :sadbanana:  

I peeked last night and won't visit the thread again. I've never looked at the original DI either.  I wish I was done with classic rock. 60% of my first ten picks. I'm probably not. The unpluggeds cause whiffs on Townes. Steely Dan and Frampton cost me Cash@Folsom. No regrets on SD (other than a big vbd blunder), but the Frampton stings. I will be pretty quirky, way off the radar with a half dozen picks @30 rounds. Next four are probably not mentioned in that thread, probably safe for snipes, trying to determine vbd just in case.
I only read the first post and then closed it out.  

Round 13 Heartbreaker - Ryan Adam  (2000)

At best he's a jerk, at worst he's sort of rapey. I learned this stuff after I was listenting to him for years and now I file that under separating the artist from the art.

To Be Young (Is To Be Sad, Is To Be High)

Oh My Sweet Carolina
Oh holy hell.  I knew I should have taken this already.  Great pick!  To Be Young is my favorite; never get tired of that "oo-we-oo" at the beginning.

Woman. Judge Smails Schmails. 
Oopsie?

Rd 14 

The Specials - The Specials

Ska Revival, awright? 

from the great class of '79 - the debut from the outfit that was at the fore of igniting the TwoTone/Ska/Dancehall wave. 

this band blended their punk sensibilities with a dash of Mod flair to forge a unique sound and scene ... influencing many acts to follow likewise. 

bringing all those elements together under one tent make for a kick-### good time that has ya thinking while you skank - a landmark release, and a must have wherever i'm going ... a can't miss platter from needle to needle. 

using the US version here, to include "Gangsters" (gotta have it)

A Message To You, Rudy - opening salvo ... doesn't get any better in regard to first impressions, my favorite of the whole bloody great lot.

Gangsters -  not far behind.

(no)  The Beatles - have seen Ringo Starr's All-Stars 2x)

(no)  Led Zeppelin

(yes) Jethro Tull (2x)

(yes) Yes (3x)

(yes) Neil Young (1)

(yes) Elton John (2x)

(no)  Traffic

(no)  Cream

(no)  Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

(no)  The Who 

(no)  Genesis

(duh) Todd Rundgren (many)

(yes) Rush (2x)

Geez, I haven't seen many of mine.  Partly since many of my picks are older, I guess.

Stevie Wonder - yes

Beatles - um, no.  Saw Paul McCartney solo a couple of times

Big Star - um, no

Otis Redding - um, no

George Harrison - no

Billy Bragg & Wilco - have seen each of them separately

Paul McCartney & Wings - see "Beatles"

Elliott Smith - no

Lyle Lovett - yes

The Shins - no

Belle & Sebastian - no

Buena Vista Social Club - no

The Flaming Lips - yes

Leonard Cohen - yes

Live

The Who - Y

Pink Floyd - Y, and Roger Waters on the Radio K.O.A.S. tour

Tom Petty - Y, 3 times

Wilco - Y, 5 times

Elton John - N

Drive-By Truckers - N

Derek & The Dominoes, N, but saw Clapton twice

R.E.M., Y

Rolling Stones - Y, 5 times

Jason Isbell - N, but had tickets for this summer :(

John Lennon, N :(

Tom Waits, N

Ryan Adams, N

The Police, N but saw Sting

The Beatles  no

The Who  yes

Saturday Night Fever - I've seen the Bee Gees

Townes Van Zandt  no

Grateful Dead  yes

Gram Parsons   no

Ian Noe   no

REM  yes

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers   yes

Ben Folds Five  yes

Amos Lee   yes

Leonard Cohen   yes

Badfinger  no

The Go-Betweens  no

Wilco, Doves, Afghan Whigs, Colter Wall = yes

Kinks, Otis, Zombies, John Prine, Marvin, T Rex, VU, Curtis, Grant Lee Buffalo, Morphine = no
I read recently in a thread where someone said that John Prine was not a good performer. I don't feel that way. I think he was a great performer. He wasn't the best singer, which may have been what that person meant, but John Prine always told stories before his songs, and he was funny, charming, and he enjoyed himself and the audience. You don't need a great voice to perform a great song that you wrote. He was a story teller, and he sung his stories to perfection. 

Seen everybody (Miles, Prince, Stevie, Joni, Feat, Gabriel, Mahavishnus, Yes, XTC) but the dead-27s, Hendrix & Amy. Had tickets to Jimi in fall '69 but he collapsed a couple weeks after Woodstock and cancelled NE tour. Matter of fact, seen all the others in muy multiples except XTC, who i only saw when they opened for the Police (in front of about 35 nodding New Mexicans) in 1980.

Aside from a few landmines this playlist plays like a gigantic one of mine. I wanted it to be like a radio station of song I live where I never have to skip unless the wife is around. Well done friends. Thanks to everyone putting hard work into this
I'm having a similar experience.  Currently we are dancing to New Order while making dinner (well, one of us is making dinner, and the other is typing).  And the only time I turn something off is when I don't like it and I see it's 7+ minutes long.  Not many that have filled both criteria.

Ok, time to go super chalk here (I double checked to make sure it wasn’t taken).  I’ll need something on my island for when I roid up and do deadlifts an Wild Turkey shots. I was always amazed this album was released in 1980 when it seemed like it was played at every high school party in the mid to late 80’s. 

Is it overplayed? Yes. Is it misogynistic and a bit rapey at times?  Yes. Is it overplayed?  Again, yes. Did I get in trouble at a church youth group by playing this album to show off my sweet Walkman speakers that I just bought with my paper route fortunes?  You bet. Did the youth leader say I’d go to hell if I kept listening to bands like Anti-Christ / Devils Children, Ruled Under Satan’s Hanads, and Knights In Satan’s Service?  Of course. Was that youth leader a pedo?  We all thought so. Yo Mama selects:

14.22 - AC/DC - Back in Black (1980)

1 - Hell’s Bells

2 - Shoot to Thrill

3 - What Do You Do for Money Honey

4 - Givin the Dog a Bone

5 - Let Me Put My Love Into You

6 - Back in Black

7 - You Shook Me All Night Long

8 - Have a Drink on Me

9 - Shake a Leg

10 - Rock and Roll Ain’t Noise Pollution

For my songs, I’ll go with:

Hell’s Bells

Shoot to Thrill

Geez, I haven't seen many of mine.  Partly since many of my picks are older, I guess.

Elliott Smith - no
I've never seen him either.

I had a ticket for his last show in September, 2003 at the University of Utah Ballroom.  I was kind of sick so I skipped it thinking I'd catch him next time.  He died a month later.  Really wish I'd gone to the show.  

but the dead-27s, Hendrix & Amy. Had tickets to Jimi in fall '69 but he collapsed a couple weeks after Woodstock and cancelled NE tour. 
Jimi had an awesome wardrobe. I would have loved to have owned some of his outfits, especially the blouses.

Users who are viewing this thread