What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (3 Viewers)

I really have no plan from here, besides possibly going back to a couple groups I’ve taken at some point which I mentioned 

@KarmaPolice is nursing that Rd 15 pick ...
:goodposting:

My list is already too big for quick decisions, and then I started in on looking at some 90s albums.   Also a JZilla post today or yesterday has been gnawing at me and I feel some snipes in a certain genre coming that I am not going to like.  

I just have this sinking feeling that I am I missing something big.  

I CAN'T TAKE THE PRESSURE!!! 
well ...lookie heah ...we got us a pick fondler ...

I really have no plan from here, besides possibly going back to a couple groups I’ve taken at some point which I mentioned 
That is the post that I was talking about.   Plus I think if you take any metal it's usually pretty close to or was something I was looking at.  

Could some David Bowie fans help me with where to start?  I think my not being a huge fan could be because his hits during my formative years weren't really his greatest stuff to me - "Let's Dance" and "Fashion" and "Cat People" weren't great IMO.  But I love "Life on Mars" and "Suffragette City," for instance.  Where do I go to enhance my Bowie love, other than Ziggy Stardust?  I dig him so much as a person.

1. Start with Ziggy

2. Go backwards chronologically until you don't like it

3. Go back to Ziggy and repeat process going forward
Just ordered Ziggy because of all of this back and forth. I was never into Bowie really, either, but I also dug him as a human being and as somebody who seemed to be very hip to the avant-garde leanings when it came to rock n' roll. See: Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, etc. 

Currently listening to The Kink Kontroversy and trying to decide who my top five favorite British Invasion bands are.

Currently:

1) The Kinks (tied)
1) The Who (tied)
3) The Zombies
4) The Beatles (yep)
5) The Rolling Stones (rising because of Dr. Octopus's thread)

What do you guys have?

Probably depends on which record I'm playing. Also noting that the British Invasion might be the most important cultural development in rock n' roll history.

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently listening to The Kink Kontroversy and trying to decide who my top five favorite British Invasion bands are.
The 1972 double LP Kinks Kronikles is one of my favorite kompilations of all time.  Didn't want to draft it because more than half the songs were on other albums previously. 

It's another one that's no longer in print but fortunately can been recreated as a playlist.

Currently:

1) The Kinks (tied)
only argue with your tie

Favorite Kinks deep cut

National Health

Wayo Wayo!

Valium helps you for a while
But somehow Valium always seems to bring me down
There's no pill I can recommend where side effects
Aren't guaranteed to send you round the bend

You gotta let out the tension
With a little bit of exercise
Loosen up your muscles
And feel the knots in your body untie

Wayo Wayo!
Oh oh oh oh ah ah ah ah
Oh oh oh oh ah ah ah ah

It sure beats Quaaludes
It sure beats cocaine
Even Freud recommends it
Cos it relieves the strain

Altogether now
Oh oh oh oh ah ah ah ah
Oh oh oh oh ah ah ah ah

Some people say it sends you deaf
Some people say it sends you blind
Some people say it makes you old
Some people say it blows your mind

Yeah. He picked Incubus's Make Yourself. It was in regular font within the text of his pick, but he did. 
Yeah sorry I was rushing around a bit and using my phone but I didn't want to add myself to the skip pile or delay things.  I knew I wanted this one.  Probably gonna go back to this era on the turn, then take a step back, regroup and fill in the blanks

Been debating this one, as it felt a little bit like doubling up as I already have some Chris and Matt Cameron on my island, and I am sure I will have something else from the other 1/2 of this group before the draft is over, but this is a staple of the KP household and something the wife and I both listen to a ton.   Such a great album top to bottom, and well - Chris' voice is good enough to have 2x on my island...

15.01:  TEMPLE OF THE DOG - TEMPLE OF THE DOG (1991)

Say Hello 2 Heaven

Times of Trouble

Yeah sorry I was rushing around a bit and using my phone but I didn't want to add myself to the skip pile or delay things.  I knew I wanted this one.  Probably gonna go back to this era on the turn, then take a step back, regroup and fill in the blanks
No need to be sorry, Zilla. Thanks for picking. Interesting choice. I remember liking that album. They used to play it on WHFS all the time when I lived in the D.C./Maryland area.

Did you get permission to change your avatar?
Lol. I just always dug this artwork and the thread had slowed, so I took the time to screenshot it and compress it. Figured I'd use it. Thanks for noticing. It's a Velvet Underground T-shirt called "Gypsy Death," presumably referring to the lyrics in "Run Run Run." Another rock t-shirt I own.

I assume I'll be back to Anna in a few. Hers is quite a stunning picture of symmetry and beauty, IMO.

Could some David Bowie fans help me with where to start?  I think my not being a huge fan could be because his hits during my formative years weren't really his greatest stuff to me - "Let's Dance" and "Fashion" and "Cat People" weren't great IMO.  But I love "Life on Mars" and "Suffragette City," for instance.  Where do I go to enhance my Bowie love, other than Ziggy Stardust?  I dig him so much as a person.
https://open.spotify.com/album/6fQElzBNTiEMGdIeY0hy5l?si=lwCliaasQEWLSe4ppKwSNg

Been debating this one, as it felt a little bit like doubling up as I already have some Chris and Matt Cameron on my island, and I am sure I will have something else from the other 1/2 of this group before the draft is over, but this is a staple of the KP household and something the wife and I both listen to a ton.   Such a great album top to bottom, and well - Chris' voice is good enough to have 2x on my island...

++ will update with picks later.  ++ 
Shocked this wasn't long gone.

If my turn comes up ITC tonight just leave me out of it so others can go. I have a rotten headache that doesn't want to go away. I'm going to take something to try and help me sleep it off. Talk to y'all tomorrow.
Take care, simey. I still have to check out your whole video. It'll get another YouTube hit!

No need to be sorry, Zilla. Thanks for picking. Interesting choice. I remember liking that album. They used to play it on WHFS all the time when I lived in the D.C./Maryland area.
Most groups of this ilk I have left behind but I still go back to these dudes.  I'm sure I could have waited but I'll probably be able to say that about most of my remaining picks..

15 - Yes - 90125 (1983)

Trevor Rabin is not the guitarist that Steve Howe is, but he can hold his own and is a decent singer, which the band never really had previously, other than Jon Anderson..

This album came out in my middle of MS years (we called it junior high) and was a favorite of mine. Didn't get to see them until the next album (still have the shirt!) but it got me to dig into their past and I became a huge fan. Surprisingly, Owner of a Lonely Heart was their first (and only) #1 hit. 

1. It Can Happen
2. Leave it

ETA: Would take the Deluxe Version, as it has some interesting versions of some of the songs, like the true a cappella version of "Leave It" and the remix of Owner of a Lonely Heart that HOV34 mentions below.

15 - Yes - 90125 (1983)

Trevor Rabin is not the guitarist that Steve Howe is, but he can hold his own and is a decent singer, which the band never really had previously.

This album came out in my middle of MS years (we called it junior high) and was a favorite of mine. Didn't get to see them until the next album (still have the shirt!) but it got me to dig into their past and I became a huge fan. Surprisingly, Owner of a Lonely Heart was their first (and only) #1 hit. 

1. It Can Happen
2. Leave it
Young Hov with his first walkman (actually it was a GE knockoff that I bought with my own money at Service Merchandise) Had this album and a cassette of a remix of Owner of a Lonley Heart 

Got lost in this album and song for most of 83/84

Maybe it's on RiL or Jimi level surprising, but I guess I will jump on one as well that I for whatever reason thought was taken and probably wouldn't have blinked if it had been at the start of the draft.  Played it a ton for years, haven't as much lately, but listening to it a couple times the last couple days and forgot how damn good it is.  

14.xx:  THE WHITE STRIPES - ELEPHANT  (2003)

Ball and Biscuit

Black Math

Say Hello 2 Heaven

Times of Trouble

Decided on songs

15 - Yes - 90125 (1983) 

Trevor Rabin is not the guitarist that Steve Howe is, but he can hold his own and is a decent singer, which the band never really had previously.

1. It Can Happen
2. Leave it
Young Hov with his first walkman (actually it was a GE knockoff that I bought with my own money at Service Merchandise) Had this album and a cassette of a remix of Owner of a Lonley Heart 

Got lost in this album and song for most of 83/84
I would take the Deluxe Version with me to the island (forgot to add that). Always liked the true A Capella version of Leave it. I can still hear in my head when (and where L&R) the instruments are supposed to kick in.

The remix of OLH is about as far from 'normal' Yes as you can get! Interesting, tho and definitely 100000% 80s!!!

15 - Yes - 90125 (1983)

1. It Can Happen
2. Leave it
Dude - no “Changes”?

Users who are viewing this thread