What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (6 Viewers)

15 - Yes - 90125 (1983)

Trevor Rabin is not the guitarist that Steve Howe is, but he can hold his own and is a decent singer, which the band never really had previously.

This album came out in my middle of MS years (we called it junior high) and was a favorite of mine. Didn't get to see them until the next album (still have the shirt!) but it got me to dig into their past and I became a huge fan. Surprisingly, Owner of a Lonely Heart was their first (and only) #1 hit. 

1. It Can Happen
2. Leave it
Dude - no “Changes”?
They ask for two, I still have the whole album on my Island! ;)

Was thinking of making a playlist of the songs that I really liked from my picks. More than just the two we pick here, but not necessarily every song. 

They ask for two, I still have the whole album on my Island! ;)

Was thinking of making a playlist of the songs that I really liked from my picks. More than just the two we pick here, but not necessarily every song. 
It’s cool - just not a fan of Leave It. Reminds me of when MTV played the video 100 different ways consecutively.

I read "consolation prize" as being a 2nd tier to those bands or albums - as in you didn't dig the pick.  
I didn't read it that way. I remember when that album came out. MTV played the hell out of "Hunger Strike." Cornell and Vedder at their best. Good tune. I was disappointed as a young punk with the rest of the album, but it's a supergroup classic, as those things never tend to be as good as their main bands.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's how I feel about my album.  

(Love "Leave It".)

We got a bonus with our dinner.  Hot, fresh challah had just come out of the oven. Along with the tasty egg salad, we have more stuff to make sandwiches with.

And a menu for Krista to peruse.  The kreplach are soooo good.
That Pastrami on the first page looked delicious, but damn is everything expensive!!! Seeing it, knowing I am thousands of miles away is almost as mean as Tipsy showing pics of his food on FB!!!

15.31 Ben Folds - Rockin' The Suburbs (2001)

If you had told me I'd be taking the 4th Ben Folds album in this draft I would have thought you were having a piss.  Could take any of the ones left and still be happy (and still might) but this one was his first solo and my girls (18 and 21) can sing everything from this album.  In fact I let them pick the two songs (I wanted "Still Fighting It" but they wouldn't have it).

A&M's 2 songs:

Zak and Sara

Not the Same

Btw, I've seen Ben 7 times.  (Ryman 4, Exit/In 1, Ascend Amphitheater 1, Schermerhorn w/ Nashville Orchestra 1.)

It's just as well I got dinner first.  I only changed my mind twenty times.

(I see someone is playing around with the spelling in the draft list.  BINKY!  I'm looking at you.)

Round 15.28  -  Cherry Poppin' Daddies  -  Zoot Suit Riot  (1997)

Shake Your Lovemaker    It's sexytime on the dance floor.

Master and Slave

I had no idea which of these choice songs to pick.
what did I do?  

playin' it straight on the sheet ...typo maybe?  

That's how I feel about my album.  

(Love "Leave It".)

We got a bonus with our dinner.  Hot, fresh challah had just come out of the oven. Along with the tasty egg salad, we have more stuff to make sandwiches with.

And a menu for Krista to peruse.  The kreplach are soooo good.
Kreplach!!

One of my best friends, and my friend with whom I most often share music love and excitement, is my friend Doug with whom I worked for seven years.  Our office was in the north suburbs of Chicago, and Doug and I would go out to lunch a couple or more times a week.  We'd drive my car Francesca (all of my cars have been named Francesca), and at least half the time we'd end up driving around more than we needed to or sitting in the work parking lot because we were listening to a song over and over or discussing something new we'd heard.

Doug is also the only IRL friend I've told about this draft.  His first-round pick would have been Astral Weeks, and he reminded me that we would sit in Francesca listening to that.

Anyway, there was a great place we'd go to for lunch sometimes, very similar menu to the one you posted.  One time we went there in a big snowstorm, it being Chicago and all, and he got the soup with kreplach, which was perfect for a snowy day such that thereafter we associated every time it snowed with getting kreplach, and we'd always try to go and get it then.  It's such our "thing" that for years we would see each other and just yell "kreplach!"  I miss my friend Doug!

Love this menu.  I'd like to go there with Doug and while he gets the kreplach, I'll get the Swiss & Shout or the Grilled Moshe Cristo.  :wub:  

Pretty easy shuffle with a couple really good new adds for me.  

Rolling Stones- Rocks Off     love this song, but not the album as a whole for whatever reason.  Great way to start the night off.  

Dylan - It's All Over, Baby Blue -   Pretty sure I've gotten this one in a mix already.  I don't mind this one

Bowie - Moonage Daydream    It feels like I am right there with Krista judging by the posts today.  I recently listened to Ziggy and didn't love it overall, but I remember this being one that I really liked.  Wanted to give that album another try and go from there.  Feels like I sort of with Bowie as I am with Queen - they are artists that morph their sound all over, but I like the rockers more.  I think Queen rocks harder when they do go that way.  

Mott the Hoople - All the Way From Memphis (L)    All I know is the hit, and this was great - love the sound and the guitars on this.   

The Band - Chest Fever    OK this might be my favorite "new to me" song I've had come up yet.   Started off thinking it was a Deep Purple song that escaped me and it hooked me from the jump and I loved the hell out of it.  

Wyclef - Gauntanamera      the hook, but it was a little repetitive.  Good enough to keep an eye out for other songs.  I think the very start might have puckered the butthole a little bit and I thought I was in for some reggae, so maybe my defenses were up a little too much.  

The Police - Synchronicity I     Love this album.  Interesting choice going with I over II.  

Petty - The Wild One, Forever    Loved this as well.  Pretty sure this has come up on another shuffle of the mix as well.  I listen to a little bit of Petty, but don't remember hearing this song before this mix.  

Big Brother & the Holding Company - Piece of My Heart   of course a damn good song.  

Interpol - The New      I was eyeing this album up as well, so of course liked this one as well.  

Great start to the night!!! 

Bowie - Moonage Daydream    It feels like I am right there with Krista judging by the posts today.  I recently listened to Ziggy and didn't love it overall, but I remember this being one that I really liked.  Wanted to give that album another try and go from there.  Feels like I sort of with Bowie as I am with Queen - they are artists that morph their sound all over, but I like the rockers more.  I think Queen rocks harder when they do go that way.  
Yep, I feel the same about Queen, too.

Wyclef - Gauntanamera      the hook, but it was a little repetitive.  Good enough to keep an eye out for other songs.  I think the very start might have puckered the butthole a little bit and I thought I was in for some reggae, so maybe my defenses were up a little too much. 
Yes, I can see where it would be repetitive. And it's a good thing I didn't select "Gunpowder," which I almost did, which is a straight-up reggae song off of that album.

That Pastrami on the first page looked delicious, but damn is everything expensive!!! Seeing it, knowing I am thousands of miles away is almost as mean as Tipsy showing pics of his food on FB!!!
It's all made in house.  They are over by the Houston Galleria.  It's one of the highest rent areas in town.  They were on Triple D a few years back.

It's delicious and worth the pampering.

They deliver.  God only knows how much that costs.

Kreplach!!

One of my best friends, and my friend with whom I most often share music love and excitement, is my friend Doug with whom I worked for seven years.  Our office was in the north suburbs of Chicago, and Doug and I would go out to lunch a couple or more times a week.  We'd drive my car Francesca (all of my cars have been named Francesca), and at least half the time we'd end up driving around more than we needed to or sitting in the work parking lot because we were listening to a song over and over or discussing something new we'd heard.

Doug is also the only IRL friend I've told about this draft.  His first-round pick would have been Astral Weeks, and he reminded me that we would sit in Francesca listening to that.

Anyway, there was a great place we'd go to for lunch sometimes, very similar menu to the one you posted.  One time we went there in a big snowstorm, it being Chicago and all, and he got the soup with kreplach, which was perfect for a snowy day such that thereafter we associated every time it snowed with getting kreplach, and we'd always try to go and get it then.  It's such our "thing" that for years we would see each other and just yell "kreplach!"  I miss my friend Doug!

Love this menu.  I'd like to go there with Doug and while he gets the kreplach, I'll get the Swiss & Shout or the Grilled Moshe Cristo.  :wub:  
Mr R got the kreplach soup.  I had the fried kreplach.  I always feel like a Klingon when I order it.

I think it was Ziggy who took my order (over the phone).  He called me "My Dear".

The coconut macaroons are great, too.  We got some.

The menu also mentions a "henway".  You should ask your waiter for details.

Rd 15

Bloody Kisses - Type O Negative (1993)

another 90s highlight for me, Peter Steele took the piss outta every/anything in his way - gloom, doom, sludge, thrash, goth, metal - all under one roof!

the Drab Four cranked out a sickly savage slab of black humor, tongue tucked firmly in Pete's steely cheek - can have this on loop and never be disappointed - winner from first listen - it's one of the more unique platters i've ever heard. 

Black No. 1  greatest poke at the scene gurls one could ever hear ... i was there, some (many?) deserved this dress down (note, this is the 4+ minute vid version - included here to give Pete his due).

Summer Breeze  because who never said "if they slow Seals and Crofts down to a dirge it would be THE most intense sounding ####!"  who?  blowwwwwing ... with the Jazzzzmin ... in my miiiind

R.I.P.  PETE ✌
Wow.   Never expected this to show up on here.  This is definitely NOT for everyone.    It is brutal doom and gloom which is probably why I love Type O.   I was hooked as soon as I heard this album on the radio.   I caught them just as they were getting airplay and starting to break.   I was living in south FL at the time and drug my girlfriend to this small, dark, bar to see them.  It was hotter than hell and I’m pretty sure she felt that was right where she was.   She was miserable.  She didn’t make the cut.  The band was scary.  The crowd was scarier.   Steele was a really tall dude and looked like all limbs and hair.  

This is my favorite Type O album but of the 6 albums that I own, it’s probably only third best.   I can’t imagine anyone is going to draft any more from this artist but I won’t say anymore.  

The Band - Chest Fever    OK this might be my favorite "new to me" song I've had come up yet.   Started off thinking it was a Deep Purple song that escaped me and it hooked me from the jump and I loved the hell out of it.  
Never thought of Deep Purple there, but can totally see it. Obviously you have two of the best with Garth Hudson and Jon Lord on the organ.

Garth based that great opening on Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor.

Been debating this one, as it felt a little bit like doubling up as I already have some Chris and Matt Cameron on my island, and I am sure I will have something else from the other 1/2 of this group before the draft is over, but this is a staple of the KP household and something the wife and I both listen to a ton.   Such a great album top to bottom, and well - Chris' voice is good enough to have 2x on my island...

15.01:  TEMPLE OF THE DOG - TEMPLE OF THE DOG (1991)

Say Hello 2 Heaven

Times of Trouble
This is a steal.   Still so damn good.  

Never thought of Deep Purple there, but can totally see it. Obviously you have two of the best with Garth Hudson and Jon Lord on the organ.

Garth based that great opening on Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor.
I am sure a bit was because I just entered Machine Head in the mix and it was on my mind.  Just heard the start of the song and was confused.  

Users who are viewing this thread