What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (9 Viewers)

Of all the nights, I miss Slap Shot trivia night !?!!???!
LOL. That stinks. That is unfortunate when one thinks about it. I think I've only watched it all the way through once. I actually know Youngblood better, which should be a crime against all things decent.

"Hey Deaner"

LOL. That stinks. That is unfortunate when one thinks about it. I think I've only watched it all the way through once. I actually know Youngblood better, which should be a crime against all things decent.

"Hey Deaner"
Youngblood might be the better movie but I never said that out loud

I still wish you guys zoomed with me :(  (willing krista and eephus aside)
We're still here for you. Just behind the...gasp...curtain.

I think it'd be great to go to a show together, frankly. Meet my iFriends that I like so much. But time, distance, and everything sort of prevents that though. Though I almost met up with otb_lifer in Newark once, but I had just flown over the Atlantic, so I was a bit indisposed. 

We're still here for you. Just behind the...gasp...curtain.

I think it'd be great to go to a show together, frankly. Meet my iFriends that I like so much. But time, distance, and everything sort of prevents that though. Though I almost met up with otb_lifer in Newark once, but I had just flown over the Atlantic, so I was a bit indisposed. 
Bonnaroo is 14 hours driving for me, so 11-12 for @Steve Tasker  I know it would be more or less for others but we're making a big trip to make it work. Would love an FBG gathering at a music festival, time/distance not a huge issue imo

I really can't believe this one is still available, as I considered taking it about six rounds ago.

15.35 Regatta de Blanc – The Police (1979)

I was a huge Police fan starting in the mid-80s or so. I haven't listened to them much over the past decade, but this remains my favorite album, or close to tied for it with ____________.

Not a ton to say here, other than I would say the sound of this record was pretty ahead of its time for something that came out in 1979. 

Another album where choosing songs is tough.

Bed's too big without you
Cold wind blows right through that open door
I can't sleep with your memory
Dreaming dreams of what used to be

Songs:

Bring on the Night

The Bed's Too Big Without You
To paraphrase Bomani Jones (I think):

”Imagine today a group of white guys playing watered down reggae and calling themselves The Police.”

Nice pick. I was all set to take another one of their albums with my next pick but then realized it was already taken. 

... 4:21 a.m. shufflin'

🎶  🚬   :coffee: . 🚬  🎶

Unbound - The Girl From Tom's Diner

we met Suzanne back in the late 80s up at Bryant Park ... she was known as a "folkie" type back then - always enjoyed her work, save for the atrocious "Tom's" ... she can (usually) pen a catchy tune, i'll give her that - 7.0

Lithium - Nervahnna

recall Kurt saying he wanted a sound somewhere between the Beatles and the Pixies - he kinda gets it here ... i should dig him/Nirvana more than i do, but i really don't ... this is solid, tho - 7.0

Roundabout (live) - Affirmative

ok, right from jump ... love the guitar tone in this much better than the album track - not a fan of these guys, but, man ya just couldn't escape this tune back when i was a kid. this live offering has some balls - 7.0

Too Late For Love - Pyromaniacs

heavier than i expected ... pleasant surprise - can hear the hallmark sound that was their calling card from this era, but there's a leaner feel to the production, which i like - 8.0

Bastards of Young - 'Mats

raw and raspy and raucous - best video evah, btw ... i am a Westerphile, guy can't miss in my eyes/ears - 10+

Black Celebration (live) - Fast Fashion 

studio version gets an easy 10+ ... kinda thin here, which is disappointing because "Everything Counts" live version was punched up well enough - 8.0

Suffragette City - Ziggy Jones

wonder how things woulda gone had Mott taken this instead of "Dudes" - it's a piledriver, any Mick Ronson is good Mick Ronson ... Bowie is King - 9.0

Break It Up - Candy Slice

funny when Patti was referred to as punk ... she never was, at all - she was a boho beat poet, the natural progression from that lot, giving a powerful female voice to that movement - this is a gorgeous, soulful outpouring - 9.0

Lowdown - Baggs

impossible not to love - don't care who you are, what kinda musical ya-yas you get out - this is a killer track - 10

Grindin' - Toal E Clipse of My Ears

nope, not for me ... really got lost when the Patty Cake shtick popped in, but more "N" word!!! guess he's "edgy" - 3.0

final tally:

2 cuppas

8 smokes

10 tunes

7.8 avg.

another great spin ... much thanks, even for the misses - it's still a momentous mosaic of mess - which i appreciate, very much. 

Lowdown - Baggs

impossible not to love - don't care who you are, what kinda musical ya-yas you get out - this is a killer track - 10
Even though this record really couldn't have come out in any other time than it did, it doesn't sound like anything else released that year. It was a massive hit, getting airplay not only on Top 40 radio but also R&B stations. AOR, as usual, missed the boat and didn't much fool with it.

Grindin' - Toal E Clipse of My Ears

nope, not for me ... really got lost when the Patty Cake shtick popped in, but more "N" word!!! guess he's "edgy" - 3.0
Patty cake, patty cake, I'm the baker's man
I bake them cakes as fast as I can
And you can tell by how my bread stack up
And disguised in this rap so the Feds back up

He talkin' about cookin' up crack in some Pyrex no-stick bakers material, man.

So not for everyone. 

Even though this record really couldn't have come out in any other time than it did, it doesn't sound like anything else released that year. It was a massive hit, getting airplay not only on Top 40 radio but also R&B stations. AOR, as usual, missed the boat and didn't much fool with it.
our AOR staple, 'NEW-FM, played "Lido Shuffle" enough - don't recall "Lowdown" bring as prominently featured.

it's just a remarkable piece of work, he really nailed it, and the arrangement is perfect. 

Patty cake, patty cake, I'm the baker's man
I bake them cakes as fast as I can
And you can tell by how my bread stack up
And disguised in this rap so the Feds back up

He talkin' about cookin' up crack in some Pyrex no-stick bakers material, man.

So not for everyone. 
you know my history with cookin' up powder - doesn't mean this missegosh prattle resonates ... btw, i "got" it - just don't care for it.  

we've discussed this enough that i figured you'd know. 

our AOR staple, 'NEW-FM, played "Lido Shuffle" enough - don't recall "Lowdown" bring as prominently featured.

it's just a remarkable piece of work, he really nailed it, and the arrangement is perfect. 
Sounded "too black", I guess :shrug:

But that's AOR for ya. There were a lot of black artists in the mid-70s who had songs that "rocked" harder than anything those stations were playing, but got no airplay. AOR kept narrowing and narrowing their playlists into irrelevance. They were done in about 1977 or 1978, they just didn't know it yet. The final nail was when they were forced to play freaking "Allentown" every hour because they had nothing else left. 

Sounded "too black", I guess :shrug:

But that's AOR for ya. There were a lot of black artists in the mid-70s who had songs that "rocked" harder than anything those stations were playing, but got no airplay. AOR kept narrowing and narrowing their playlists into irrelevance. They were done in about 1977 or 1978, they just didn't know it yet. The final nail was when they were forced to play freaking "Allentown" every hour because they had nothing else left. 
 disco, punk, hip hop, grunge ... rendered AOR the new "Oldies" corner of the dial.  

btw, yep ... back in those days ya just couldn't pull up a wiki bio on your mobile, we were surprised when we saw (in Hit Parader) that Boz was a white cat in shades 😎

you know my history with cookin' up powder - doesn't mean this missegosh prattle resonates ... btw, i "got" it - just don't care for it.  

we've discussed this enough that i figured you'd know.
No doubt. Just clarifyin'. I had no idea about cooking up powder. I thought it was all ingested in powder form. 

Wow.   Never expected this to show up on here.  This is definitely NOT for everyone.    It is brutal doom and gloom which is probably why I love Type O.   I was hooked as soon as I heard this album on the radio.   I caught them just as they were getting airplay and starting to break.   I was living in south FL at the time and drug my girlfriend to this small, dark, bar to see them.  It was hotter than hell and I’m pretty sure she felt that was right where she was.   She was miserable.  She didn’t make the cut.  The band was scary.  The crowd was scarier.   Steele was a really tall dude and looked like all limbs and hair.  

This is my favorite Type O album but of the 6 albums that I own, it’s probably only third best.   I can’t imagine anyone is going to draft any more from this artist but I won’t say anymore.  
it's a very aquired taste, no question ... but so is quite a bit of other stuff i'm hearing- they merit a seat here due to this album being such an eye popping phenomenon - if we can have 11+ minute hacky sack noodlings then we can have 11+ minutes of Pete's poison penned sludge.

and, yeah ... the live experience was nothing short of surreal - Pete came off as Joey Ramone's psychotic little brother - the more sweat, the better ... there was writhin' aplenty.

Agree I didn’t expect the album but black no 1 is a great song
case in point ^ 

(even if it didn't score in the ratings 😁)

15.31 Ben Folds - Rockin' The Suburbs (2001)

If you had told me I'd be taking the 4th Ben Folds album in this draft I would have thought you were having a piss.  Could take any of the ones left and still be happy (and still might) but this one was his first solo and my girls (18 and 21) can sing everything from this album.  In fact I let them pick the two songs (I wanted "Still Fighting It" but they wouldn't have it).

A&M's 2 songs:

Zak and Sara

Not the Same

Btw, I've seen Ben 7 times.  (Ryman 4, Exit/In 1, Ascend Amphitheater 1, Schermerhorn w/ Nashville Orchestra 1.)
Just listened to this last night.

Round 15.38 - Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill - 1998

The second half of the Fugees solo diptych on the island. Funny this lasted. From the opening strains of "Lost Ones" on through "That Thing" and others, this was a landmark LP. One of the first fully-realized personal records by a female emcee, Lauryn Hill was not afraid to explore love and heartbreak -- and joy and pain -- from a woman's point of view. Eventually chosen by The Library of Congress to be preserved as a historical landmark recording of cultural significance, it wowed its audience and critics alike with its explorations. I remember listening to it in the fall of 1998, urging my girlfriend to “listen to this.” It sounded so fresh, so new. Truly remarkable. Time has shown it to have some filler, and Hill’s singing can be too much of a good thing at times, but the album is unerringly honest and raw while being delivered with passionate feeling and an unrelenting aplomb. A crowning achievement for an all-time great emcee. 

Lost Ones

Doo *** (That Thing)

Round 16.03 – Kanye West – College Dropout - 2004

Yes, every Kanye album that is in his first four would go to the island, draft permitting. Sandwiching the Fugees together, we get two out of the three Kanye education triad, this one his debut album. This record was such a revelation in 2004 that my old friends were calling me asking me if I’d ever heard of this guy “Kane” West, and did I think he was any good? Coincidentally enough, I’d been up on the man ever since BET had put his “Through The Wire” on rotation at Rap City, about four or so months before the album dropped. I’d somehow managed an illegal advance bootleg from a store in New Britain, CT, and was wearing the #### out of the thing non-stop; so I was able to let it wash over me and tell my friends that this was like nothing anybody had heard in hip hop since Native Tongue.

It was Roc-A-Fella production with backpack consciousness, or if not backpack consciousness, self-consciousness. It is, after all, a self-reflective record from when Kanye’s navel gazing was appealing, before Kanye’s self-reflection turned towards the grandiose and borderline egomaniacal. The tracks never stop hitting or coming. From the opening Bernie Mac-voiced “Intro” up until the end of the record’s “Last Call,” we’re treated to something special with every track. If it’s not a soul sample guesting Jamie Foxx on “Slow Jamz,” it’s Mos Def rapping over ominous beats he’s not normally known to rap over, limiting himself to two-word couplets with “Two Words.” It celebrates while offering a joyously done glimpse into inner-city destruction with “We Don’t Care;” later on, it’s a plea and a cry for redemption with “Jesus Walks.” It’s a conflicted record, by a conflicted person, but that makes it all the more earnest, forthright, and worthy of the art in presumes to give the listener. Only the bold could imagine a project like this. Few could pull it off without looking foolish. Kanye here is on another level, maybe his greatest level ever.

The whole album is special, changed the game, and has an argument for being the greatest hip hop record ever. I’ll pick the tacked-on feeling closers to the record proper, one the lead single from the album for the listener, the other dedicated from me to the members of the drafting coterie and their families.

Through The Wire

Family Business

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the shoutout. Mister CIA is on permaskip.
No sweat: I typed the italicized into my write-up because I didn't know if you guys were still on skip yourselves. I picked the turn, too. 

I'm not sure if cos or simey are on skip still or what, so I'll pick the turn, out of convenience and because neither is likely picking the next one (well, you know...)

College Dropout was the last true rap album on my radar for this.
Yeah, figured I'd take it because as I was typing the other selections up (there were a few) I thought, "What if this doesn't go to the metaphorical island? How would you really feel?" It's probably my most-played CD of that decade, really, and hasn't worn out its welcome. I also have no problem doubling up an artist at this point if it's that good. There's a lot of filler on rap albums as I'm going back and listening to them for this exercise. This album? No real filler there. 

You can probably tell by the length and nature of the write-up that it's one I felt passionate about. The other write-ups were perfunctory and flagging. Sometimes your effort tells yourself what's what. 

I grew up listening to this guy. My parents played him in the house all the time. He's a great songwriter, and not a too shabby actor. On this album he re-recorded some of his songs with some guest appearances by Steve Earle, Jackson Browne, Allison Krauss, Mark Knopfler, Marc Cohn, Vince Gill, Catie Curtis, and Matraca Berg. I saw him live for the first time a couple years ago at the Merlefest. He was a headliner for Thursday night, and it poured rain, but nobody cared. We were being rained on by awesome songs by KK.

Round 15

The Austin Sessions - Kris Kristofferson (1999)

Loving Her Was Easier (Than Anything I'll Ever Do Again)

Why Me

The Austin Sessions - Kris Kristofferson (1999)
I think I've told this story before but the old children's record by Marlo Thomas Free To Be You And Me... was set to video once. It pictured a bunch of children on a merry-go-round. At one point a young little sprightly boy blows a slightly insolent yet innocent gum bubble, making a face for the camera. The credit that rolls over him? Kris Kristofferson. I thought that was appropriate as all get-out.

https://youtu.be/_26FOHoaC78?t=60

Users who are viewing this thread