Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program

So we are at the point in the draft where I take a second album from a band I have already selected. I didn’t expect to do this, but I had no idea it would still be available.

16.05 Sandinista! - The Clash (1980)

This was a triple (!!!) album that some regard as a masterpiece and some find a sprawling mess. It surely confused and disappointed many of the Clash’s punk rock fans because of how experimental and eclectic it was. It has been compared to the Beatles’ White Album in that regard.

i love a lot of it and haven’t really given parts of it a fair shake yet. It has 36 songs, so that makes it a pretty interesting desert island grab bag.

for the songs, I am picking one of its singles and one lesser known track that I absolutely love.

Songs:

Police on My Back

The Street Parade

Edited by RedmondLonghorn
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

16.16 - Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left (1969)

tim grabbed Pink Moon early, and I do prefer that one as a whole, but this record has not only my favorite Nick Drake song, but what is one of my favorite songs from any artist:  "Time Has Told Me."  "River Man" is special as well.  I wouldn't have an island without this.

Time Has Told Me

River Man

• Like 8
  • Love 5

5 minutes ago, JZilla said:

not sure about Eephus.. but Mrs R and those two are ITC unless he's on skip

will look

...also @otb_lifer usually shows after about 57 minutes ...:D

ETA:  Eephus last post 10 hrs ago - he's likely asleep for a while longer - guys our age need a good 10 hrs sleep minimum

Edited by Binky The Doormat
  • Like 1

16    .    0        -        -    
16    .    1    cosjobs    -    skip    -    
16    .    2    simey    -    Counting Crows    -    August & Everything After
16    .    3    rockaction    -    Kanye West    -    College Dropout
16    .    4    Mister CIA    -    permaskip    -    
16    .    5    Bonzai    -        -    Metallica - Kill 'Em All
16    .    6    RedmondLonghorn    -        -    The Clash - Sandinista!
16    .    7    MAC 32    -    Janis Joplin    -    Pearl
16    .    8    Dr Octopus    -    Lou Reed    -    Transformer
16    .    9    Ilov80s    -    Aretha Franklin    -    I've Never Loved A Man The Way I Loved You
16    .    10    Hov34    -        -    Leon Bridges - Good Thing
16    .    11    rcam    -        -    Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I Might See
16    .    12    Mr Ected    -        -     The Eagles - Live 
16    .    13    Mrs Rannous    -        -    ITC
16    .    14    JZilla    -        -    Deftones - White Pony
16    .    15    landrys hat    -        -    Hawkwind - Space Ritual
16    .    16    krista 4    -        -    Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
16    .    17    Oliver Humanzee    -        -    SKIP
16    .    18    Eephus    -        -    ITC

16    .    19    otb lifer    -        -    ITC
16    .    20    Binky the Doormat    -        -    ON DECK
16    .    21    Doug B    -        -    IN TEH HOL

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Abrantes said:

Phew, that was a lotta catching up this morning. Solid late night drafting/not-drafting by everyone.:suds:

Wowzers...same boat, and same reaction

The fantastic picks just keep coming!

45 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

15.37 - Friday Night in San Francisco, Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, and Paco DeLuca

Recorded Live in 1980.

Mediterranean Sundance

Fantasia Suite

Ouch. You suck. Thought this would be way off the radar. Sniped. Happy to have it on the playlist. It's a storied performance and recording, so I should have known better. Fun to put your balance far left and listen to just Paco, then right for Al, and some left for John. As incredible as John is, he was bested by the other two and felt bad for a few mistakes. I've written a few times about having acoustic guitar playing in my office 24/7. This type of Spanish/Flamenco is maybe 20% of hours and hours and hours of acoustic guitar on that playlist. Nothing tops these guys in that genre. There is no wrong track for the playlist. Hope others appreciate this highest of highest levels of virtuosity. I didn't see this show. My love for this stuff came 20 years later.

Edited by Chaos Commish
i will torture the playlist with a flamenco singer for this
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Chaos Commish said:

Ouch. You suck. Thought this would be way off the radar. Sniped. Happy to have it on the playlist. It's a storied performance and recording, so I should have known better. Fun to put your balance far left and listen to just Paco, then right for Al, and some left for John. As incredible as John is, he was bested by the other two and felt bad for a few mistakes. I've written a few times about having acoustic guitar playing in my office 24/7. This type of Spanish/Flamenco is maybe 20% of hours and hour and hours of acoustic guitar on that playlist. Nothing tops these guys in that genre. There is no wrong track for the playlist. Hope others appreciate this highest of highest levels of virtuosity. I didn't see this show. My love for this stuff came 20 years later.

Was on my radar too, and with Inner Mounting Flame off the board, I figured I wouldn't be the only one. Just awesome.

42 minutes ago, krista4 said:

16.16 - Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left (1969)

tim grabbed Pink Moon early, and I do prefer that one as a whole, but this record has not only my favorite Nick Drake song, but what is one of my favorite songs from any artist:  "Time Has Told Me."  "River Man" is special as well.  I wouldn't have an island without this.

Time Has Told Me

River Man

My favorite Nick Drake album, and I was happy to see Pink Moon going early. Other than "Time Has Told Me" (pure bliss; as I said on a different occasion upon taking it, it's ridiculous he had it in him to write something like this at that age), I've sung the praises of (and drafted) "Day is Done" here multiple times. It's breathtaking.

Was high on my board pretty much since the start, but I kept pushing it back. Happy to see you take it. :suds:

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, Abrantes said:

My favorite Nick Drake album, and I was happy to see Pink Moon going early. Other than "Time Has Told Me" (pure bliss; as I said on a different occasion upon taking it, it's ridiculous he had it in him to write something like this at that age), I've sung the praises of (and drafted) "Day is Done" here multiple times. It's breathtaking.

Was high on my board pretty much since the start, but I kept pushing it back. Happy to see you take it. :suds:

It is.  I had a hard time choosing a second song after "Time Has Told Me."  

I was surprised that by this point in the draft, Pink Moon had been his only album taken.  Love the third one as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

Holding out for that second pick? 

You know.... extended the payoff? 

(Probably wasn't funny to begin with, but less so after he picked right after the post) 

i was thinking of this exact joke a few days ago when someone said why are we worried about rushing through this draft

4 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I was surprised that by this point in the draft, Pink Moon had been his only album taken.  Love the third one as well.

I’ll third “Day is Done”. I think that encapsulates what Drake was about perhaps more than any other of his songs.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, zamboni said:
15 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I’ll third “Day is Done”. I think that encapsulates what Drake was about perhaps more than any other of his songs.

@KarmaPolice, would you mind inserting the song above in lieu of River Man in the mix?  Since it's a favorite of a few other people, and I am happy with anything so long as Time Has Told Me is on there.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, PIK95 said:

Should I know who this Nick Drake character is?  Genre?

Folk I guess, unique voice and sound in a way, he was very young and had no success on three(?) great records before he died of an anti-depressant OD

6 minutes ago, krista4 said:

@KarmaPolice, would you mind inserting the song above in lieu of River Man in the mix?  Since it's a favorite of a few other people, and I am happy with anything so long as Time Has Told Me is on there.

I can hardly fault the “River Man” pick either. There’s an ethereal quality to it that’s unlike anything else. “Day is Done” is just my preference. :thumbup:

Edited by Abrantes
  • Like 1

4 times now Spotify doesn't have the live album I seek. Google Play/Youtube premium guys. It crushes lyricless/videoless Spotify.

More importantly I am leaving early tomorrow - isolation vacation. For at least a couple days, I'll be beyond data, no internet, fly fishing. I will pop in from bed late at night from my sister's place the other days. I'll probably fall asleep just catching up.

Once I get my house something I want to come home to, I can send some safe picks to someone. Or I can catch up in June.

I have a pick ready for today, but after that

Permaskip. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, JZilla said:

Folk I guess, unique voice and sound in a way, he was very young and had no success on three(?) great records before he died of an anti-depressant OD

Sounds like that Billy Strings character all the cool kids are into now.  Minus the OD.  I'll check it out.  Thanks

• Like 1

Just now, PIK95 said:

Sounds like that Billy Strings character all the cool kids are into now.  Minus the OD.  I'll check it out.  Thanks

Just like that

(jk but I shouldn't really be a smart ### I've never heard that guy)

Edited by JZilla
  • Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, Chaos Commish said:

4 times now Spotify doesn't have the live album I seek.

Spotify can be spotty. There is an artist that had a few albums on Spotify over the last couple years or so, but lots of albums were not. Now a few records that were not on there previously have been added, but some that were on there are now gone.

18 minutes ago, JZilla said:

I just read about his death, and I didn't know he ODd on an anti-depressant. The anti-depressant was amitryptiline. I took that a long time ago for sleep. I had no idea it was also an anti-depressant. I only took it for a short time, because it made me tired the next morning. I wonder why I was never told that it was also an anti-depressant. 

Just now, simey said:

I just read about his death, and I didn't know he ODd on an anti-depressant. The anti-depressant was amitryptiline. I took that a long time ago for sleep. I had no idea it was also an anti-depressant. I only took it for a short time, because it made me tired the next morning. I wonder why I was never told that it was also an anti-depressant. 

Pills are weird.  I take an epilepsy pill for anxiety (gabapentin)

2 minutes ago, JZilla said:

Yeah, I take half a bean occasionally, and I never know how it's gonna go.  They switched my BP pill last week and it made me feel awful.  Woke up with metal mouth infection taste in my throat today.  Wtf!

5 minutes ago, JZilla said:

I used to take Gabapentin because I drank so much and they didn't want me seizing on the comedown.

6 minutes ago, simey said:

Same thing here. Never liked it, and until I looked it up, I never knew it was an anti-depressant.

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 3

Rd 16 

Cool For Cats - Squeeze 

Class of '79 represent again!

i'm plucking their sophomore effort here ... the hit factory follow-ups are all just fine n ' dandy enough, but this was my gateway drug to the "Lennon/McCartney of New Wave" (and their cheeky mates) ... some of their snappiest and bouncy tunes up in here, most notably the title track. 

and, oh yeah ... "Up The Junction" is the ####in' teats - (gotta be a top 5 lyric for me) my personal favorite, and easily one of the top spun songs of my life.

Up The Junction

Cool For Cats

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, JZilla said:

I have xanax now to help me sleep, but I don't take it often. I have taken it more than usual lately. I've never been a good sleeper, but I think anxiety is a big reason why I don't sleep well. My mind races at night. It doesn't help either that I'll get drowsy watching a show around 10, I doze off and miss the ending of the show, and then wake up at like 11:00. Then I get up and brush my teeth and prep for bed, and then I have a second wind and I'm wide awake. I should brush, wash my face, etc. earlier, but then sometimes I might want a snack, and then I'd have to brush again.

Edited by simey
  • Like 1

PICK 16.20

BRIAN ENO - HERE COME THE WARM JETS

Songs

- Baby's On Fire

- Cindy Tells Me

I can't let this one go any longer ...I know there are at least a handful of Eno fans out there and this has been snapped up in other drafts.  I love most all the songs on here so picking just two was hard.  In the end, I went with what might be more appealing to most of the drafters for the list.  "Needles In The Camel's Eye" and "The Paw Paw Negro Blowtorch" were especially tough to pass over.  I heartily encourage any of you to listen the whole album.  

Allmusic overview

Eno's solo debut, Here Come the Warm Jets, is a spirited, experimental collection of unabashed pop songs on which Eno mostly reprises his Roxy Music role as "sound manipulator," taking the lead vocals but leaving much of the instrumental work to various studio cohorts (including ex-Roxy mates Phil Manzanera and Andy Mackay, plus Robert Fripp and others). Eno's compositions are quirky, whimsical, and catchy, his lyrics bizarre and often free-associative, with a decidedly dark bent in their humor ("Baby's on Fire," "Dead Finks Don't Talk"). Yet the album wouldn't sound nearly as manic as it does without Eno's wildly unpredictable sound processing; he coaxes otherworldly noises and textures from the treated guitars and keyboards, layering them in complex arrangements or bouncing them off one another in a weird cacophony. Avant-garde yet very accessible, Here Come the Warm Jets still sounds exciting, forward-looking, and densely detailed, revealing more intricacies with every play.

• Like 9
  • Love 3

7 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I used to take Gabapentin because I drank so much and they didn't want me seizing on the comedown.

Same thing here. Never liked it, and until I looked it up, I never knew it was an anti-depressant.

:eek: Who's they?

I'll have a script for that til the day I die most likely, because it helps me deal with bigger social situations

• Like 1