What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (8 Viewers)

Alright, the 90s are underrepresented on my island and this is near the top of the decade IMO. I associate a lot of these songs with acoustic singalongs in pubs these days but that's even better for NV island. I'll almost certainly not please people with the songs choices but... 

17.09 - Pearl Jam - Ten (1991)

1.    "Once"   3:51
2.    "Even Flow"    4:53
3.    "Alive"    5:41
4.    "Why Go"    3:20
5.    "Black"     5:43
6.    "Jeremy"   5:18
7.    "Oceans"   2:42
8.    "Porch"    3:30
9.    "Garden"  4:59
10.    "Deep"    4:18
11.    "Release"  9:05
How in the hell wasnt this drafted in the first three rounds?!   I expect better from you all.   This album took over the airwaves when it was released and it should have been.    The first 6 songs are so good.   How do you pick just two of those?   

Duh - my bad. Whispering Pines is from The Band self-titled, which someone else drafted. Still recommend the studio version though.
Yeah, I took it. I don't remember the live version of it, but I'm sure I've heard it at some point. Chances are it's great.

17.3: Buffalo Springfield - Buffalo Springfield  Again (1967)

Other info to follow later.
Didn't get the Neil Young nor CSN(Y) albums I wanted, but this will still do nicely.

Due in part to personnel problems which saw Bruce Palmer and Neil Young in and out of the group, Buffalo Springfield's second album did not have as unified an approach as their debut. Yet it doesn't suffer for that in the least -- indeed, the group continued to make major strides in both their songwriting and arranging, and this record stands as their greatest triumph. Stephen Stills' "Bluebird" and "Rock & Roll Woman" were masterful folk-rockers that should have been big hits (although they did manage to become small ones); his lesser-known contributions "Hung Upside Down" and the jazz-flavored "Everydays" were also first-rate. Young contributed the Rolling Stones-derived "Mr. Soul," as well as the brilliant "Expecting to Fly" and "Broken Arrow," both of which employed lush psychedelic textures and brooding, surrealistic lyrics that stretched rock conventions to their breaking point. Richie Furay (who had not written any of the songs on the debut) takes tentative songwriting steps with three compositions, although only "A Child's Claim to Fame," with its memorable dobro hooks by James Burton, meets the standards of the material by Stills and Young; the cut also anticipates the country-rock direction of Furay's post-Springfield band, Poco. Although a slightly uneven record that did not feature the entire band on several cuts, the high points were so high and plentiful that its classic status cannot be denied.
For the two songs, IMO these two are the best - one Stills-oriented and the other Neil-oriented.

Bluebird

Broken Arrow

Last edited by a moderator:
How in the hell wasnt this drafted in the first three rounds?!   I expect better from you all.   This album took over the airwaves when it was released and it should have been.    The first 6 songs are so good.   How do you pick just two of those?   
I had no idea this was still out there.  Another that must have slipped through the cracks.  Love this record.

I was thinking of this a few rounds ago but then I listened to the back half of the album. I think this was a fair draft slot for it. 

I was sure this was already drafted days ago.

I can't remember who drafted that. I want to say it was Tim.
Definitely was tim.  I do like the record; it was just weird for it to come up in the midst of the rest of this.  So was Judy Collins.

Need more rock on my island and this will for sure fit the bill. Glendale represent!  Yo Mama selects:

17.19 - System of a Down - Toxicity (2001)

1 - Prison Song

2 - Needles

3 - Deer Dance

4 - Jet Pilot

5 - X

6 - Chop Suey!

7 - Bounce

8 - Forest

9 - ATWA

10 - Science

11 - Shimmy

12 - Toxicity

13 - Psycho

14 - Aerials

15 - Arto 

For songs, I’ll save the playlist from songs about groupies, mass incarceration, and pulling tapeworms out of your rectums (nvm) and go with a couple more popular choices:

Needles

Toxicity

Depends... is the "gin mix" good or bad?

If good - I picked it in round 14. The album is Every Where is Some Where

If bad - Tasker picked it in round 1. I don't know WTF he was thinking.
I'm listening to a Screeching Weasel song and looked to see who chose this.  Great stuff!!!  Never heard this before and love it.

Overplayed as hell, but I think it’s a good song.
Yeah, I still like this song, too.

WHOA.

HOLY ####### ####.

This Sturgill Simpson song "Welcome to Earth."

First thought:  I've heard so much about this guy; super-excited to hear this.

Second:  Wow, this is boring.  WTF.

THEN it kicks in and becomes absolutely ####### BRILLIANT.

WOW.

PICK 17.21

SMALL FACES - THERE ARE BUT FOUR SMALL FACES (1968)

Songs

- Tin Soldier

- Itchycoo Park

This is the US debut album of the Small Faces.  And "Tin Soldier" may be my favorite single OF ALL TIME.  Not bad for the 17th ROUND!!!!

All I need is your whispered hello
Smiles melting the snow, nothing heard
Your eyes, they're deeper than time
Say a love that won't rhyme without words 

Gives me chills every time ...

Fixin' to go get ####ed up and feed some ducks.  

Pearl Jam is a band I never got. 

So many Seattle bands at the time and these guys got the golden ticket.  I could never figure that out as I observed music from afar while raising babies.
Agree 100%. Pearl Jam never clicked for me. But, then again, neither has The Beach Boys, The Beatles, or Rush so I figured I just have some sort of musical deficiency.

Bonzai said:
Are we still allowed to like Ryan Adams? What's the deal there?
I drafted him in the 5-10-15-etc draft.  I definitely don't listen to him as much as I used to but some of his old stuff means a lot to me.  

If having sex with underage girls is a cancellable offense in this format, most of the 70s bands come off the board as well.

krista4 said:
I'm listening to a Screeching Weasel song and looked to see who chose this.  Great stuff!!!  Never heard this before and love it.
Not sure what the band is like now (or if it is still even around). My days of going around in a circle in a mosh pit like a drunk NASCAR driver are long gone so I don't look for small venue punk shows to attend. They did put on some great live shows that I went to in the 90s. Their other albums are hit and miss for me (a couple of gems on each album) but My Brain Hurts is a solid album from beginning to end.

Users who are viewing this thread