What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (3 Viewers)

Hot Burrito #1 - Sometimes I wonder if Gram is overrated because he died young but then I hear him sing again.

Bad - U2 - The Edge probably isn't in the top 200 of guitarists drafted in terms of technical proficiency. But his ringing tone on the riff for this song is perfect.  Isolation desolation constipation

Triumph Fight the Good Fight - Based on just this song, Rush is better but you know how I love Rush.

Me & Bobby McGee - Janis - I like this song a lot more than her blues shouting.  I used to play poker with a guy who went to high school with her.

Dre Let Me Ride - Has a thicker more modern sounding bass than other late 80s/early 90s rap that's been in this playlist

17.16  TV on the Radio - Young Liars EP (2003)

Not a great value taking an EP but this one contains my favorite song from them plus another favorite single that's not on any of their LPs.  The other 3 tunes are all pretty great, including the Pixies cover.  Frankly, I like these 5 songs better than at least 5 songs on each of their first 3 albums (all albums I think are excellent, fwiw) and I prefer this EP version of Staring at the Sun to the one on the LP. 

Staring at the Sun (ep version)

Young Liars

krista4 said:
That's actually why I didn't draft him earlier.  But then I regretted it.  It's the Michael Jackson Conundrum.
Yeah, I've been a fan over the years. Seen him a few times. He's got a handful of records I really like, but I haven't been returning to them as much as I used to. Sucks. I'm sure more than a few of the artists drafted here are creeps though, so...

Binky The Doormat said:
PICK 17.21

SMALL FACES - THERE ARE BUT FOUR SMALL FACES

Songs

- Tin Soldier

- Itchycoo Park

This is the US debut album of the Small Faces.  And "Tin Soldier" may be my favorite single OF ALL TIME.  Not bad for the 17th ROUND!!!!

All I need is your whispered hello
Smiles melting the snow, nothing heard
Your eyes, they're deeper than time
Say a love that won't rhyme without words 

Gives me chills every time ...

Fixin' to go get ####ed up and feed some ducks.  
Nice, Bink. I was expecting a different Faces album to go first, but this is solid.

I don't like the way this is shaping up. Do I have to stay up til 4 to avoid getting skipped again?
Me too.  Just how big was that pizza Chaos Commish got?  We know otb won't be here tonight, so it's up to Chaos or mphksiwpawoe to move us along.

Yo Mama said:
Need more rock on my island and this will for sure fit the bill. Glendale represent!  Yo Mama selects:

17.19 - System of a Down - Toxicity (2001)

1 - Prison Song

2 - Needles

3 - Deer Dance

4 - Jet Pilot

5 - X

6 - Chop Suey!

7 - Bounce

8 - Forest

9 - ATWA

10 - Science

11 - Shimmy

12 - Toxicity

13 - Psycho

14 - Aerials

15 - Arto 

For songs, I’ll save the playlist from songs about groupies, mass incarceration, and pulling tapeworms out of your rectums and go with a couple more popular choices:

Aerials

Toxicity
tapeworms > aerials, you ha e time to fix this before karma gets to you. 

krista4 said:
WHOA.

HOLY ####### ####.

This Sturgill Simpson song "Welcome to Earth."

First thought:  I've heard so much about this guy; super-excited to hear this.

Second:  Wow, this is boring.  WTF.

THEN it kicks in and becomes absolutely ####### BRILLIANT.

WOW.
:wub:

Exactly what went through my mind on listen one.. 

tapeworms > aerials, you ha e time to fix this before karma gets to you. 
F it. I’m 4 rum and cokes in and the edibles starting to kick in. You get tapeworms, and you get tapeworms, and ...  I’ll make the change. Can’t wait for the transition from Adele into that one on the playlist. 

Yo Mama said:
Need more rock on my island and this will for sure fit the bill. Glendale represent!  Yo Mama selects:

17.19 - System of a Down - Toxicity (2001)

1 - Prison Song

2 - Needles

3 - Deer Dance

4 - Jet Pilot

5 - X

6 - Chop Suey!

7 - Bounce

8 - Forest

9 - ATWA

10 - Science

11 - Shimmy

12 - Toxicity

13 - Psycho

14 - Aerials

15 - Arto 

For songs, I’ll save the playlist from songs about groupies, mass incarceration, and pulling tapeworms out of your rectums (nvm) and go with a couple more popular choices:

Needles

Toxicity
These dudes ####### crushed

DocHolliday said:
How in the hell wasnt this drafted in the first three rounds?!   I expect better from you all.   This album took over the airwaves when it was released and it should have been.    The first 6 songs are so good.   How do you pick just two of those?   
A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

It’s a good discussion topic for post-draft:  what’s an album you would have picked were it not for that one song you’d have to skip?  I was eyeing one earlier but couldn’t get past one song.
Not sure if it makes something undraftable, but it for sure effects my rankings and tiers.   Ie Fitter, Happier is a reason I put Rainbows and Bends over OKC.  Mostly its overplayed hits that are landmines for me on albums I otherwise love: Paradise City, You Shook Me All Night Long, Money, etc.  

I was probably a little too anal about wanting albums that didn't have a skip track on it for this exercise, bit those songs did move some albums way down the list and make them so I wasn't going to be getting them. 

Buffaloes said:
Thanks, man. I found this draft at the right time and you guys are hitting it out of the park with some of these picks. I may add some undrafted free agents at the end or if someone drops out maybe I will be an obtrusive guest and ask to take their place. Truly have enjoyed following the thread and the shuffle tho
Ooo.  The Masked Drafter.

PIK95 said:
17.07 Squirrel Nut Zippers -Hot 1996

I wore this record out back at URI.  Freaking love it's weird darkness.

Got My Own thing Now

Hell
I drafted "Hell" in the food draft.  Like it and the video.

3ITC

@Chaos Commish

...actually looking forward to a clock again
I said permaskip. That's for life.

When Santana parked himself at the House of Blues, Mandalay Bay, he became the performer I have seen the most live. I've caught him a few times on a whim,and a few times planned. I chose Europa to be played at my funeral in that thread. I've described his tone as Gilmour with a Mexican accent. I've seen Carlos in the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s. I've seen most iterations of his band, I've seen him solo, I've seen him with Ottmar Leibert. I've had this pick waiting for Abraxas to fall first. I have not seen:

Carlos Santana with John Mclaughlin - Live at Montreux 2011 - Invitation to Illumination

interview with these old hippies

This is them celebrating the 40 year anniversary of their album - Love Devotion Surrender - which was an homage to and guitar cover of - A Love Supreme. See how neat things tie together? I'm not going to explain cuz I would rather observe the McLaughlin popularity on these Islands. This is his fourth trip to an island. Three times as headliner (sharing it twice - Friday in SF and here. Mahavishnu, his creation). Once with Miles (#####esBrew). He plays four different styles/genres in our four picks. Few guitar styles further apart than classic flamenco and abstract free jazz. Cool and amazing musician.

Vashkar

Black Satin / Smooth Criminal / Black Satin / Land Of 1000 Dances 

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I am gone until June.

Six hours later we hit Cincinnati
Yawnin', she woke and then asked where we were
When she found out, she said I must be goin'
This close to Nashville was too close for her

So I stopped by the roadside and I gave her five dollars
She took it then kissed me and gave me a note
She told me just to read it then mail it in Nashville
On old loose-leaf paper to her mother she wrote

She said, "Mama I'm fine if you happen to wonder
I don't have much money but I still get around
I haven't made church in near thirty-six Sundays
So #### all those West Nashville grand ballroom gowns

17.23 - Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring (1986)

Another band I'm surprised hasn't been drafted yet in 16 1/2 rounds with this many nerds.  If you drew a line between Traffic and Radiohead, it would pass exactly between Talk and Talk.

I'm choosing this album over their two Post-rock masterpieces because it's more song oriented and fits better into the mix.  It's still sublime and the perfect gateway drug to their later stuff.

Living in Another World

Give It Up

Rd 17

JuJu - Siouxsie & The Banshees (1981)

all hail Susan Ballion (Siouxsie) - the queen of punk/post-punk, godmother of Goth. 

she was there from the start, as part of the Bromley Contingent (a group of fans that supported the early punk gigs, also included future Banshee Steven Severin, Adam & the Ants guitarist Marco Pirroni, and William Broad, later to be known as Billy Idol ), to performing at the infamous 100 Club festival (with Sid backing her on drums), to being the cheeky girl who initiated Jonesy's verbal slap of TV host Bill Grundy during the Pistols NSFW appearance  on his show (they were a last minute addition after Queen cancelled).

she formed a proper band with fellow BC member Steve Severin (bass), and they released their first avant-punk-noise platter in '78. 

couple more thematic albums came after that initial success, even having Robert Smith (Cure) along for a bit of the ride. 

this here is the fourth effort, and it's definitely my favorite of their (her) long and varied catalog. it's a prime snapshot of this group working their most textured magic in the studio, and one which most Siouxsie devoteés will point to as the best to begin exploring if one is not familiar. 

the highlight is John McGeoch's nefarious strumming ... this is regarded as one of the great guitar albums of the post punk era, as his brooding chops were the perfect backdrop to Sioux's dark and swirling vocals ... his playing drew utmost praise from the likes of Marr, Frusciante, Corgan, O'Brien & Greenwood (Radiohead), among others.  R.I.P.

it's a culling of all that they were, and everything they aspired to be ... the varying pace and soundscapes bleed and bend into each other with each turn, making this a piece of work that defied any attempts to pigeonhole - call it what you will, i'll just call it one of the best of the 80s, a remarkable performance from all involved. 

Sioux is the most influential female artist to emerge from that late 70s class ... from her fearless frontwoman stature (she is an amazing live performer), to her endless forays into the darker recesses of the human condition ... to her fashion and style.  

matter of fact, Madonna straight-up jacked Sioux's bastardized Catholic look ... when we started to see waves of girls hitting the streets in fishnets and dangling crucifixes we all thought it was an explosion of Sioux style awareness, which we loved ... 'til we found out they were actually a buncha mall chicks from Poughkeepsie humming "Like A Virgin"  :unsure:

Sioux doesn't get the credit or love she deserves ... one of those artists that greatly shaped the landscape of her era, and is recognized within the industry for that ... but remains a relatively obscure "niche" footnote, for the most part - "oh, that Goff chick ... Suzie and the Band Cheeze, right? PEEEEK A BOOO! yeah, she's all spooky and #### - my cousin once dressed as her for Halloween!!1!"

oooofff.

- my love letter to Susan, and her cast of Banshees. 

Spellbound  (sound is murky in the vid, but it's essential as it captures this pace so perfectly)

Arabian Nights

ETA: (cleaner "Spell")

Listening to the mix as the family sleeps and catching up on the draft.   Thank goodness it was a slow night   

I need to listen to more Stevie Wonder.   Thanks to the person that drafted that.  

It’s a good discussion topic for post-draft:  what’s an album you would have picked were it not for that one song you’d have to skip?  I was eyeing one earlier but couldn’t get past one song.
The “skip” function doesn’t work on islands?   Seems silly to love 90% of an album but not taking the album due to one song.   There is usually one song on every album that I love that I tend to skip because I don’t care for the song and want to get to better ones or the song was overplayed to death.   

Listening to the mix as the family sleeps and catching up on the draft.   Thank goodness it was a slow night   

I need to listen to more Stevie Wonder.   Thanks to the person that drafted that.  
We had two drafters in the first round, actually. Krista took Innervisions and Uruk took Songs In the Key Of Life, IIRC. 

Don't know why I felt the need to chime in, but there you are.

The “skip” function doesn’t work on islands?   Seems silly to love 90% of an album but not taking the album due to one song.   There is usually one song on every album that I love that I tend to skip because I don’t care for the song and want to get to better ones or the song was overplayed to death.   
This is serious business, guy.  ;)

1.  If I am only allowed 30 albums, I want to maximize my songs and minimize my irritation as I chill on my island.  

2.  How great is an album if I have to skip a song or two on it?

Bonzai said:
I did what??
you know what you did.

Sorry- it was Acer. 

zamboni said:
Another I was juggling. Took it in the great works draft- epic album.

17.23 - Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring (1986)

Another band I'm surprised hasn't been drafted yet in 16 1/2 rounds with this many nerds.  If you drew a line between Traffic and Radiohead, it would pass exactly between Talk and Talk.

I'm choosing this album over their two Post-rock masterpieces because it's more song oriented and fits better into the mix.  It's still sublime and the perfect gateway drug to their later stuff.

Living in Another World

Give It Up

This is one I was juggling the last couple rounds. I'm realizing I like albums either at the bands' birth (all the initial and original energy and ideas poured into it) or at that moment of rebirth later on. This one caught so much of the brilliant short form new wave pop styling that made their early stuff work so well, but also introduced some of the more experimental longer free form sounds that work so well in their later albums and iterations. Love this.

Rd 17

JuJu - Siouxsie & The Banshees (1981)

all hail Susan Ballion (Siouxsie) - the queen of punk/post-punk, godmother of Goth. 

she was there from the start, as part of the Bromley Contingent (a group of fans that supported the early punk gigs, also included future Banshee Steven Severin, Adam & the Ants guitarist Marco Pirroni, and William Broad, later to be known as Billy Idol ), to performing at the infamous 100 Club festival (with Sid backing her on drums), to being the cheeky girl who initiated Jonesy's verbal slap of TV host Bill Grundy during the Pistols NSFW appearance  on his show (they were a last minute addition after Queen cancelled).

she formed a proper band with fellow BC member Steve Severin (bass), and they released their first avant-punk-noise platter in '78. 

couple more thematic albums came after that initial success, even having Robert Smith (Cure) along for a bit of the ride. 

this here is the fourth effort, and it's definitely my favorite of their (her) long and varied catalog. it's a prime snapshot of this group working their most textured magic in the studio, and one which most Siouxsie devoteés will point to as the best to begin exploring if one is not familiar. 

the highlight is John McGeoch's nefarious strumming ... this is regarded as one of the great guitar albums of the post punk era, as his brooding chops were the perfect backdrop to Sioux's dark and swirling vocals ... his playing drew utmost praise from the likes of Marr, Frusciante, Corgan, O'Brien & Greenwood (Radiohead), among others.  R.I.P.

it's a culling of all that they were, and everything they aspired to be ... the varying pace and soundscapes bleed and bend into each other with each turn, making this a piece of work that defied any attempts to pigeonhole - call it what you will, i'll just call it one of the best of the 80s, a remarkable performance from all involved. 

Sioux is the most influential female artist to emerge from that class of late 70s artists ... from her fearless frontwoman stature (she is an amazing live performer), to her endless forays into the darker recesses of the human condition ... to her fashion and style.  

matter of fact, Madonna straight-up jacked Sioux's bastardized Catholic look ... when we started to see waves of girls hitting the streets in fishnets and dangling crucifixes we all thought it was an explosion of Sioux style awareness, which we loved ... 'til we found out they were actually a buncha mall chicks from Poughkeepsie humming "Like A Virgin"  :unsure:

Sioux doesn't get the credit or love she deserves ... one of those artists that greatly shaped the landscape of her era, and is recognized within the industry for that ... but remains a relatively obscure "niche" footnote, for the most part - "oh, that Goff chick ... Suzie and the Band Cheeze, right? PEEEEK A BOOO! yeah, she's all spooky and #### - my cousin once dressed as her for Halloween!!1!"

oooofff.

- my love letter to Susan, and her cast of Banshees. 

Spellbound  (sound is murky in the vid, but it's essential as it captures this pace so perfectly)

Arabian Nights

ETA: (cleaner "Spell")
Had her in the mid-range of my mind to take very soon...this exact album. Needed to review to figure out which songs...which would havebled me to listen to their entire early catalog and probably rethink the album. Oh, right... I still can! Fantastic pick and goes incredibly well on your island.

@KarmaPolice would you mind adding "One Nation Under A Groove" to the Spotify playlist as my contribution from the last album I chose? Apparently, the rest of the album's songs are not available. Thanks.

Yours in Funk,

Uruk
... and while you're at it can you (or whoever is running the spreadsheet) kindly switch the artist for "Ace of Spades" to Motörhead?  (currently credited to the Flying Burrito Bros.)  :unsure:

ps - thank you all for the work on the sheet and the playlist!  :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread