What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (10 Viewers)

Me & Bobby McGee - Janis - I like this song a lot more than her blues shouting.  I used to play poker with a guy who went to high school with her.
I think she would have transitioned pretty well to the lighter, singer-songwriter-y sounds of the early '70s, based on this song. Similar to Aretha moving in a jazzier direction when the decade turned.

I don't know if "Me & Bobby McGee" would have hit #1 if she hadn't died. but I think it still would have been a smash.

Wait...which album did you take?
I took One Nation Under A Groove (the album), only to find out it wasn't available on Spotify because George Clinton got into trouble with the IRS. However, the title track was used in a movie and is apparently on that film's soundtrack on Spotify.

... and while you're at it can you (or whoever is running the spreadsheet) kindly switch the artist for "Ace of Spades" to Motörhead?  (currently credited to the Flying Burrito Bros.:unsure:

ps - thank you all for the work on the sheet and the playlist!  :thumbup:
Good Lord. I can't imagine any alternate universe where Gram Parsons writes and records "Ace Of Spades" :lol:

Hey, otb! Where was your 4 a.m. shuffle writeup this morning? I enjoy those, man.

Good Lord. I can't imagine any alternate universe where Gram Parsons writes and records "Ace Of Spades" :lol:
:D  yeah, that had me imagining all sorts of possibilities  :eek:

Hey, otb! Where was your 4 a.m. shuffle writeup this morning? I enjoy those, man.
thanks, UH!  :hifive:

first day since my lockdown started that i resumed my morning run (3 miles today) - gotta get back out there, i've been lazy. 

... then i had to pen my Suzie love letter - we'll be back tomorrow, hopefully ✌

Last edited by a moderator:
El Floppo said:
16....Liz Phair- Exile in Guyvile (1993)

Songs and comments later...
came out my first year in grad school. ted, a 2nd year, was all over the album... which is where I first heard it. not sure if it was the songs are the nudey pics of liz inside, but he was die-hard about it. I didn't realize there were nudey pics until years later- so it was the songs... a more rocking less gay ani difranco vibe. love love loved this album that year, but essentially living in the architecture studio for the next three years surrounded by interesting folk from all over the world, I was inundated with new music... so kinda forgot about her. she was picked recently by wikkid and ... marco? or redmond? ... in music drafts which brought me back to this incredible album. had to pick between these favorites... any given day, a different two would get linked.:

glory

never said

explain it to me

mesmerizing

divorce song

stratford-on-guy

El Floppo said:
17... Fugazi- 13 Songs... (At some point in the last 10-60 years give or take) aka 1989
had a couple buddies from DC in my freshman dorm who were hardcore fugazi fans- saw them every time they came to NYC and had them on constant repeat in the dorm. I liked, but was outside of my wheelhouse until 13 songs... which forced a rejigger of what that wheelhouse might be. wished I had seen them in those years... kinda rode the line of the tightness of metal with the sound of punk... just worked for me. another one where there's favorite tunes almost top to bottom.. today, will go with:

give me the cure

bulldog front

Yeah, I've been a fan over the years. Seen him a few times. He's got a handful of records I really like, but I haven't been returning to them as much as I used to. Sucks. I'm sure more than a few of the artists drafted here are creeps though, so...
Oh yeah. I'm sure many hooked up with young groupies and others. Jerry lee Lewis was drafted, and he married his 13 year old cousin (while he was still married). That's creepy as hell. Michael Jackson's alleged pedophilia really turns my stomach. I do like his Off the Wall album that was drafted. I think it's his best album, and it was right before he turned into wacko jacko.

Oh yeah. I'm sure many hooked up with young groupies and others. Jerry lee Lewis was drafted, and he married his 13 year old cousin (while he was still married). That's creepy as hell. Michael Jackson's alleged pedophilia really turns my stomach. I do like his Off the Wall album that was drafted. I think it's his best album, and it was right before he turned into wacko jacko.
John Lennon wasn't a shining example of humankind, either. Nor was James Brown.

I take the coward's way out and separate the art from the artist.

El Floppo said:
Phone is dying so will likely have to wait until morning for the songs and write-ups.

If so, to all a good night...and a big thanks in advance of tomorrow to those that have made the ultimate sacrifice for this fair to middling country of ours. By wearing masks.
but seriously.

Yeah Jerry Lee Lewis is a mean nasty SOB. He shot his bass player in the chest for literally no reason. Tried to kill Elvis. He physically and emotionally abused all 7 wives. He was raised hardcore Christian and believed rock music was the devils music and that he was openly siding with Satan by playing it. Hell of a piano player and performer though. 

Two hangovers in a row.  Am I 3day weekending right?  It was all for the troops

Michael Jackson - Thriller

No songs
People can say whatever the hell they want - they can revise history, demonize the artist, pick other records he did - but this was the closest an album got to monoculture in the 20th century. The music preceded the hype, and the music was damned good. 

zamboni said:
Had to check several times to make sure it wasn’t taken. 

16.38: John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (1965)
Considered it a few rounds ago, but as much as I love it (it's almost a spiritual experience, and I've taken "Psalm" before in a past draft, 'cause I find it boils down the essence of the album at a manageable length), I didn't want to load up on too many "I'm not always in the mood for this, but when I am..." albums, and I already got a couple. It's magnificent, though. 

Mister CIA said:
Stumbled across her first, and then Kurt Vile.  They perform a couple of duos. Check him out too,

Exhibit A:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmAYzy_HAaY
Yeah, I mentioned this one too when shuke (right?) took Courtney and Kurt back to back in the recent 2000s draft.

Binky The Doormat said:
PICK 17.21

SMALL FACES - THERE ARE BUT FOUR SMALL FACES (1968)
Thanks for this. Wasn't sure the Small Faces would be taken at all here. All I have of theirs in terms of a physical copy is a 2003 compilation, alas, so I'm not as familiar with the albums, but "Tin Soldier" is an all-time great song.

17.16  TV on the Radio - Young Liars EP (2003)

Staring at the Sun (ep version)

Young Liars
:wub:  Love the ep version of Staring at the Sun with the long intro, and "Young Liars" is gorgeous. 

17.25 The Both - The Both (2014)

Ted Leo :wub:   :wub:  +
Aimee Mann :wub:   :wub:   :wub:  =

The Both :wub:   :wub:   :wub:   :wub:   :wub:
Nice! Didn't expect this to be the first record drafted with one/both of them. Both have worthy selections out there. :stalker: Love them both too, but haven't checked this out, and I should! 

17.12 The Exploding Hearts, Guitar Romantic (2003)

Sleeping Aides and Razorblades
Rumours in Town

Catching up.

Another personal favorite, and I only let it drop this far 'cause I figured (based on prior experience) it'd last. I've taken them over and over in music drafts, dating back to the Debut Album Draft years ago, I think. A power pop barrage that's in and out in under 30 minutes, and I played the #### out of it since its release. Tragically a one-album band, since three of the four members were killed in a car accident not long after Guitar Romantic, but I treasure this one and have to have it on my island. It's perfect from start to finish.

RIP  ⚡ :heart:

Rumours in Town

Catching up.

Another personal favorite, and I only let it drop this far 'cause I figured (based on prior experience) it'd last. I've taken them over and over in music drafts, dating back to the Debut Album Draft years ago, I think. A power pop barrage that's in and out in under 30 minutes, and I played the #### out of it since its release. Tragically a one-album band, since three of the four members were killed in a car accident not long after Guitar Romantic, but I treasure this one and have to have it on my island. It's perfect from start to finish.

Oh man totally forgot about this one. Great pick. 

Rumours in Town

Catching up.

Love this. Just took Throwaway Style in the relationship draft.

Said boy I can make you smile...

RIP fellas. 

Last edited by a moderator:
People can say whatever the hell they want - they can revise history, demonize the artist, pick other records he did - but this was the closest an album got to monoculture in the 20th century. The music preceded the hype, and the music was damned good. 
I think the videos/MTV added to the phenomenon that was Thriller. I don't dislike the album, I just like MJ's 70s music by himself and with his brothers better. I was always more of a Prince person during the 80s when they were both ruling the airwaves.

Rumours in Town

Catching up.

I've never heard of this, and it sounds right up my alley.  Excited to listen.

I think the videos/MTV added to the phenomenon that was Thriller. I don't dislike the album, I just like MJ's 70s music by himself and with his brothers better. I was always more of a Prince person during the 80s when they were both ruling the airwaves.
They did. CBS had to threaten to pull all forthcoming videos from their artists to get MJ's played on MTV.

I listened to Rumours all the time as a young kid because my parents liked Fleetwood Mac. The album came out when I was 1 and I have memories going back as far as the age of 3 of my dad playing it. However, until this next album came out I remember thinking that Fleetwood Mac were a good but old/washed up band (amazing the odd perspective of a kid). This album came out at about the same time I really started getting into/caring about music and finding my own musical taste. 1987 was a good year for this as, IIRC, INXS Kick came out as did U2's Joshua Tree. All my allowance was spent on buying cassette tapes from Long's Drugs and playing at the local arcade. I was lucky enough to see them live a few years back before they kicked Buckingham out the band for the bazillionth time. Great show.

Round 17) Tango in the Night - Fleetwood Mac (1987)

Big Love

Everywhere

Users who are viewing this thread