What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (1 Viewer)

:yes:

I took probably a 15 year break from them after Pretty Fly. Anytime their future work crept into my eardrums, nails on a chalkboard. I think hearing Nitro on one of many re-watches of Varsity Blues after internet radio became a thing is what finally got me to queue up Smash again. It's since become a once-a-monther, but everything after is strictly off limits.
I heard 'Defy You' twice on Sirius yesterday. Turned it up both times :shrug:

Round 19 Dirt Farmer - Levon Helm (2007)

One of my regrets is only finding out about this guy's Saturday evening concerts in the barn in upstate NY after he died. His voice is deteriorating at this point but I don't believe there's ever been so much emotion conveyed with a vocal performance than on this record. This may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I find it absolutely stirring.

False Hearted Lover Blues

The Mountain

One of my regrets is only finding out about this guy's Saturday evening concerts in the barn in upstate NY after he died. His voice is deteriorating at this point but I don't believe there's ever been so much emotion conveyed with a vocal performance than on this record. This may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I find it absolutely stirring.

The Mountain
Ain't in It for My Health is a great documentary 

Last edited by a moderator:

The Mountain
Levon's throat cancer weakened his voice (like John Prine's cancer on his neck weakened his), but you can still hear him in there. His midnight rambles were famous. Wish I could have attended one. Did catch him at Merlefest back in '08.  I didn't tape that. That woman in the band is his daughter. 

Okay for the spreadsheet, I've set it up so that if the artist field:

• contains the word skip it will highlight in yellow
  • contains the word clock (as in ten minute clock) it will highlight in orange
  • contains "ITC" it will highlight in blue
Spreadsheet updaters don't have to do anything different, it should happen automatically. Hopefully this makes it easier to track where we are with increased skips.

The morning mix-

Talking Heads- Cross-eyed and Painless-- like this band but not familiar with this track, good tho 7.5

SaG- Bridge over Troubled Water- not my fav by them but a classic 8

Public Enemy- She Watch Channel Zero- not really my type of music but not horrible 6.5

Eva Cassidy-Fields of Gold-  never listened to her or this song before, great voice but a little too mellow to work to- 7

2Pac- Life Goes On- can't say for sure if I've ever listened to a 2Pac song before, liked it more than I expected despite all the Nbombs- 6.5

GL Buffalo- Honey Don't Think-  4

Steely Dan- Reelin in the Years- like this band and song alot, another classic- 8.5

Elvis Costello- Less than Zero- another classic 8.5

Cars- It's not the Night- big fan of them but not familiar with this song but like it 8

Sex Bob- Threshold- both new to me, nice fuzzy guitar sound but glad it was short- 6

Whipping Post- prefer studio version but another classic- 9.5

Anvil of Crom- a nice surprise- 7

Black Keys- 10 cent pistol- Really like these guys but this is new to me, like it alot-9

Tears for Fears- Rule the World-  hate the 80's synthpop sound which is why I became a headbanger at that time- 4

Lorde- Buzzcut Season- never listened to her before, great voice terrible music 5.5

Round 19 - Sturgill Simpson - Sound & Fury (2019)

A ‘country’ artist creating something that is somewhere between sleazy synth-rock dance and boogie glam disco-funk. I tried staying away from this record because I can’t pick two songs off it. I can’t listen to a track or two on this album; I hear one cut and I need to go back to Ronin and listen to all 41 minutes of it in order. But now that I thought about it that’s exactly why I need to pick it. I think this is worth being my first double-dip. And I'll add two songs to comply with the draft rules, but I don't have to be happy about it. Seriously, listen to the whole thing.

Sing Along

Mercury in Retrograde

19    .    1    Karma Police    -    Sleater-Kinney    -    Dig Me Out
19    .    2    Nigel Tufnel    -    Parquet Courts    -    Human Performance
19    .    3    zamboni    -    The Church    -    Starfish
19    .    4    Wazoo11    -    Snail Mail    -    Lush
19    .    5    timschochet    -    Marvin Hamlisch/Scott Joplin    -    The Sting Movie Soundtrack
19    .    6    wikkidpissah    -    Earth, Wind & Fire    -    Gratitude
19    .    7    PIK95    -    Various artists    -    Remember the Titans Soundtrack
19    .    8    Uruk-Hai    -    Trombone Shorty    -    Parking Lot Symphony
19    .    9    Northern Voice    -    The Tragically Hip    -    Live Between Us
19    .    10    Steve Tasker    -    skip    -    
19    .    11    El Floppo    -    skip    -    
19    .    12    Abrantes    -    Cartola    -    Cartola II
19    .    13    Long Ball Larry    -    Rage Against the Machine    -    Evil Empire
19    .    14    Charlie Steiner    -    Norma Tanega    -    Walkin' My Cat Named Dog
19    .    15    Chaos Commish    -    permaskip    -    
19    .    16    The Dreaded Marco    -    Badly Drawn Boy    -    The Hour of Bewilderbeast
19    .    17    shuke    -    Heartless Bastards    -    Restless Ones
19    .    18    mphtrilogy    -    Snow Patrol    -    Eyes Open
19    .    19    Yo Mama    -    Rage Against the Machine    -    The Battle of Los Angeles
19    .    20    Doug B    -    permaskip    -    
19    .    21    @Binky The Doormat    -    timed out 5/27    -    
19    .    22    otb lifer    -    Paul Westerberg    -    Eventually
19    .    23    Eephus    -    Jeff Beck    -    Blow by Blow
19    .    24    Oliver Humanzee    -    permaskip    -    
19    .    25    Krista 4    -    XTC    -    Oranges and Lemons
19    .    26    landrys hat    -    Pearl Jam    -    No Code
19    .    27    JZilla    -    Pearl Jam    -    Yield
19    .    28    Mrs Rannous    -    Queen    -    A Kind of Magic
19    .    29   @Mr. Ected    -    skip until Wed am    -    
19    .    30    rcam    -    Blink-182    -    Enema of the State
19    .    31    Hov34    -    Cake    -    Fashion Nugget
19    .    32    Ilov80s    -    DJ Shadow    -    Entroducing...
19    .    33    Dr Octopus    -    Levon Helm    -    Dirt Farmer
19    .    34    @MAC_32MAC 32    -    ITC    -    
19    .    35    @RedmondLonghornRedmondLonghorn    -    ITC    -    
19    .    36    @BonzaiBonzai    -    ITC    -    
19    .    37    Mister CIA    -    permaskip    -    
19    .    38    rockaction    -    skip 5/27    -    
19    .    39    simey    -        -    
19    .    40    cosjobs    -    skip    -    

So how does this ITC think work with all the skips?

I'll probably just check the spreadsheet to see when I'm up.

Okay for the spreadsheet, I've set it up so that if the artist field:

• contains the word skip it will highlight in yellow
  • contains the word clock (as in ten minute clock) it will highlight in orange
  • contains "ITC" it will highlight in blue
Spreadsheet updaters don't have to do anything different, it should happen automatically. Hopefully this makes it easier to track where we are with increased skips.
:heart:  

19.35 Guero – Beck (2005)

Compared to a lot of ya'll, I am not really an album person. I am more of a playlist person. And, if I am feeling crazy, a playlist on shuffle person.

But this album is one that I have listened to probably into the hundreds of times, start to finish. It's a Beck album, so there are lots of zigs and zags stylistically. I don't absolutely adore every single song, but every song works, especially together. Both "E-Pro" and "Girl" were pretty big songs off this album, and I like them both, but I picked a couple other favorites for the playlist. Both of the songs I picked are multi-layered and textured in a way that is hard to fully appreciate unless you at least a little high. 

Songs:

Missing

Earthquake Weather

ETA: I should mention Beck put out Guerolito the same year. It was alternative versions and remixes of all the same songs in the same order. It was a great idea, but it didn't work as well for me, because I found most of the remixes were just not as good, to my ear. 

I'm assuming @cosjobs it still a skip because the sheet says he is, so it's you again @simey on the flippity.

Also, if anyone wants to change their skip/clock status, let me know today and I'll update. This is a bit of an experiment, if it goes too fast, we'll have to go to two a days or something but I would really not prefer that. 

Put me in the camp to always skip over me if I don’t respond or pick after 10 minutes ITC. Don’t want to be one to hold things up.

Round 20 Get Behind Me Satan - White Stripes (2005)

I need to have Jack White on my Island and luckily this happens to be my favorite White Stripes album - which is obviously not the consensus since 4-5 are already gone.

Blue Orchid

My Doorbell
My favorite also.  Was hoping to get it.  My list has been tore up by everyone of late.

I love Little Ghost too

Round 20, Velvet Revolver - Contraband (2003)

It was probably due to timing more than anything, but I was feeling a little sleazy after taking Sound & Fury for a spin. Then @simey dipped toes into the STP pool. And this just happened to be next on the to-do list. And if this doesn’t give you your sleaze fix then you’re too clean cut for me. Cause this is what would happen if the non-Axl members of GnR had made a follow-up to Appetite. Eat my ###, Illusion.

Set Me Free

Slither

19 - The Commitments - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (1991)

I loved this move way back when, it's the story of the rise and fall of a Dublin soul band. Haven't watched it in a while, probably should before taking the soundtrack with me to the island. The lead singer has a great voice as well as the woman who sings lead on some songs.

1. Mustang Sally
2. Take Me to the River
3. Chain of Fools
4. The Dark End of the Street
5. Destination Anywhere
6. I Can't Stand the Rain
7. Try a Little Tenderness
8. Treat Her Right
9. Do Right Woman, Do Right Man"
10. Mr. Pitiful
11. I Never Loved a Man
12. In the Midnight Hour
13. Bye Bye Baby
14. Slip Away

I loved this move way back when, it's the story of the rise and fall of a Dublin soul band. Haven't watched it in a while, probably should before taking the soundtrack with me to the island. The lead singer has a great voice as well as the woman who sings lead on some songs.

1. Mustang Sally
2. Take Me to the River
3. Chain of Fools
5. Destination Anywhere
8. Treat Her Right
10. Mr. Pitiful
11. I Never Loved a Man
12. In the Midnight Hour
13. Bye Bye Baby
14. Slip Away
Love this movie.

1. Mustang Sally
2. Take Me to the River
3. Chain of Fools
5. Destination Anywhere
8. Treat Her Right
10. Mr. Pitiful
11. I Never Loved a Man
12. In the Midnight Hour
13. Bye Bye Baby
14. Slip Away
Glen Hansard has had a nice career as well.. fun pick!

Users who are viewing this thread