Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

19.32 Endtroducing by DJ Shadow (1996)

The first album created entirely from samples. It set a new standard for hip-hop production and beautifully fuses hip-hop, electronic and jazz. 

Building Steam with a Grain of Salt

Midnight in a Perfect World

Bit of a snipe. Considered it a couple times but wanted to give it another listen first, and kept pushing it back. Incredible album.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

Is he in this or is it just his voice?

yep, he's is in the movie

• Cast
    • Robert Arkins as Jimmy Rabbitte
    • Michael Aherne as Steven Clifford
    • Angeline Ball as Imelda Quirke
    • Maria Doyle as Natalie Murphy
    • Dave Finnegan as Mickah Wallace
    • Bronagh Gallagher as Bernie McGloughlin
    • Félim Gormley as Dean Fay
    • Glen Hansard as Outspan Foster
    • Dick Massey as Billy Mooney
    • Johnny Murphy as Joey "The Lips" Fagan
    • Kenneth McCluskey as Derek Scully
    • Andrew Strong as Deco Cuffe
    • Colm Meaney as Mr. Rabbitte
    • Anne Kent as Mrs. Rabbitte
    • Andrea Corr as Sharon Rabbitte
    • Gerard Cassoni as Darren Rabbitte
    • Ruth&Lindsay Fairclough as the Rabbitte Twins

Casimir Pulaski Day - Another fella I've tried with a few times but I've never loved the Suf.  A little too.. twee?  I was waiting for the Maryland CD

Elvis C Red Shoes -  Yeah, I know this one but it should be up on my party list

All I Want To Be - Some songs are just meant to be listened to live,  by that I mean Peter Frampton songs

Oh My Sweet Carolina -  how many of my homegirls' lives did you #### with weirdo? Well good song anyway

Got My Own Thing Now - I need a giant plastic cup of ice, sugar and rum for this.  But these guys are from NC too

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

I really should've been writing down albums I was interested in taking. woke up this morning... and the mind has been blank slated.

ok... I've done some forensic sleuthing in the noggin'... have 7 albums I've been looking at that span a giant range of genres and sounds. going to take the one I think is more likely to be took by you lot.

19.... The Hives- Veni Vidi Viscious (2000)

hate to say I told you so

main offender

feels like a perfect distillation of 60s garage through grunge into 21st c punk. heard hate to say I told you so on wfmu and that was ####### it for me... ran out the next day and bought the cd. loved the tune at first drop and still do- even love the video, which is one of my all time favorites. 

• Like 9
  • Love 2

54 minutes ago, Bonzai said:

Megadeth - Rust In Peace (1990)

Love the rhythm section on this one. Constantly shifting and galloping with a swagger rare in metal albums. The guitars are putting on a clinic but it's all in good fun (as are Dave's cartoon villain vocals). 

Holy Wars... The Punishment Due

Hangar 18

Hell yeah - another I didn't think would be taken in this draft.  

I think it was @Mr. Ected that posted a couple of their vids, but I remember loving the Lost in Vegas video for Holy Wars.  

ETA:  just watched it again - it's one of their better ones.  Makes me laugh every time.  

Edited by KarmaPolice
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

20.9 West Side Soul by Magic Sam (1967)

Chicago blues at it's finest 

All of Your Love

My Love Will Never Die

wow. I had this album and loved it- have no idea what happened to it... and had completely forgotten about it and magic sam until now... thanks for this, 80s!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

ok... I've done some forensic sleuthing in the noggin'... have 7 albums I've been looking at that span a giant range of genres and sounds. going to take the one I think is more likely to be took by you lot.

19.... The Hives- Veni Vidi Viscious (2000)

hate to say I told you so

main offender

feels like a perfect distillation of 60s garage through grunge into 21st c punk. heard hate to say I told you so on wfmu and that was ####### it for me... ran out the next day and bought the cd. loved the tune at first drop and still do- even love the video, which is one of my all time favorites. 

I loved a lot of music during this era, but I was quickly reminded that I didn't think most of it led to complete albums. This was the one that I put on my listen again and think about picking list :thumbup:

9 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Hell yeah - another I didn't think would be taken in this draft.  

I think it was @Mr. Ected that posted a couple of their vids, but I remember loving the Lost in Vegas video for Holy Wars.  

ETA:  just watched it again - it's one of their better ones.  Makes me laugh every time.  

I've seen this before and ended up watching a few of their videos. 

• Like 1

20.06 Louder than Love - Soundgarden (1989)

To me, this is the album and artist that really launched "grunge". It's got a rawer, grittier sound than the band's later releases. It also has one of my favorite song titles in the history of music in "Full On Kevin's Mom".

Songs:

Loud Love

Hands All Over

• Like 5
  • Love 4

11 minutes ago, El Floppo said:
18 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

20.9 West Side Soul by Magic Sam (1967)

Chicago blues at it's finest 

All of Your Love

My Love Will Never Die

wow. I had this album and loved it- have no idea what happened to it... and had completely forgotten about it and magic sam until now... thanks for this, 80s!

I'm remembering, looking at the album cover, that I bought this completely blind (deaf) based on the cover... about the same time, or maybe the same shopping trip, as when I bought that Bobby blues Bland album redmond took earlier.

eta: every night and every day was the tune I latched on to... went on a bunch of mix tapes for da ladies.

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedmondLonghorn said:

20.06 Louder than Love - Soundgarden (1989)

To me, this is the album and artist that really launched "grunge". It's got a rawer, grittier sound than the band's later releases. It also has one of my favorite song titles in the history of music in "Full On Kevin's Mom".

Songs:

Loud Love

Hands All Over

This. THIS! Is the Soundgarden add. It's seemed like it had been days since my list had some names crossed off, but it's taken a beating this morning.

The Emperor's New Clothes - Speaking of 1990.  Haven't heard this in a long time, it is good!  Don't worry Sinead things get way better :unsure: 

Beast and Dragon ; Whisperetc.. - OK Britt we get it you write good songs but can you optimize an enterprise datamart?

Rock Your Socks -  The D were killing it way before they had an official release.  All 20 Mr Show fans had seen them on HBO but when I saw them at a large festival nobody knew em.   It was really fun to watch them win a 60,000 person crowd.  However I begin to find this more distracting than fun in this format today

Arabella -  They aren't world beaters but a record by these blokes is a good thing to have  anytime/anywhere

Tattooed Love Boys - I have Chrissie's book and still haven't cracked it open.  Great of course, unique, hella bad ###

Edited by JZilla
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JZilla said:

Rock Your Socks -  The D were killing it way before they had an official release.  I mean sure all 20  21 Mr Show fans had seen them on HBO.  I saw them at a large festival and nobody knew em.   It was really fun to watch them win a 60,000 person crowd.  However I begin to find this more distracting than fun in this format today

I might be going for titanica later in the draft

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bonzai said:

Pavement - Brighten The Corners (1997)

I think this is my favorite one. It's probably the one I've listened to the most at least. So breezy.

I'm short on time and don't know which songs, I'll add them later.

The drop off between Pavement albums is minimal. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I loved a lot of music during this era, but I was quickly reminded that I didn't think most of it led to complete albums. This was the one that I put on my listen again and think about picking list :thumbup:

giving it listens recently (think I took the tune for the 5-10-15 draft), was reminded it's pretty consistent throughout. granted- garage/punk doesn't exactly stretch too much.

Tommy the Cat - I first heard this on the Bill & Ted's Bonus Journey soundtrack.  Which I hella enjoyed at the time.  No spoilers.  

Hotel Yorba - File under knocked me socks off in 2001.  TWS came along to let us know: Rock is dead but it's OK, we can just rehash it all and make cool new songs

Lone Star Song - File under THAT WHY WERE HERE .. yeah this is good, I "remember" these guys but never dove in, probably heard one cut on a comp that didn't land and moved on

The New - Interpol have been a slow burn for me, but they are excellent of course

Let Down - Easy Dub version, been a minute but this still sounds great

🌈 great pickin, erbody

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. Ected said:

20 - Guster - Live Acoustic (2013)

1. - Two Points for Honesty
2. - Satellite

One of my favorite bands. I got into them after seeing them as an opening act for a Barenaked Ladies Concert, way back when. This is a great acoustic show. I like the use of strings as a replacement for keys.

At least one of these guys went to my high school. 

2 minutes ago, Raging weasel said:

If a bunch of people drop out after round 20 can I get in for the last 10? Have Spotify but not sure I know how to post links from my phone if that makes a difference.

If you want, you can also post links to YouTube videos. You don't need to. Others will post the songs to our playlist.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:
6 minutes ago, Mr. Ected said:

20 - Guster - Live Acoustic (2013)

1. - Two Points for Honesty
2. - Satellite

One of my favorite bands. I got into them after seeing them as an opening act for a Barenaked Ladies Concert, way back when. This is a great acoustic show. I like the use of strings as a replacement for keys.

At least one of these guys went to my high school. 

This guy (lead singer) is from Richardson, Texas, graduating from Berkner High School in 1991,[1] where he had his own band, the Silents.

Edited by Mr. Ected

7 minutes ago, Raging weasel said:

If a bunch of people drop out after round 20 can I get in for the last 10? Have Spotify but not sure I know how to post links from my phone if that makes a difference.

I'm going to piggyback on this request as well. No worries if you're full but if you have room...

• Like 3