Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program

2 minutes ago, Mr. Ected said:

High School Bands have such good names. There was one in my school called "Moot Point" They had some friends that sang backup and called themselves "The Moot Pointer Sisters"

The to-be-famous guy in my school called his band the Zygotes

My friend played drums in a band called FATAL DESIRE,  I hung out with those guys some and they were fun dudes but boy did they suck

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Today's playlist mix

*Seriously, the first one was one of my add's? C'mon! I mean, I'm gonna listen to it. But, c'mon!

*Velvet Underground - Candy Says. I love this exercise because it gets me to music I wouldn't otherwise listen to. Sometimes new add's are made to my library. Then there are cases like this one when they don't. I get that I'm the minority and more importantly - wrong - but like every other time this group has something enter my orbit it just doesn't do it for me. 2.something

*Kanye West - All Of The Lights. It isn't my type of hip hop, but unlike the previous cut it got my attention like it always does when it comes on - and held it through the end. That counts for something. Solid 6 Wouldn't turn it off, appreciate its place, but wouldn't seek it out.

*Prince - Strange Relationship. There is not enough Prince in my library. I need to fix that. If I had heard this before I don't recall it, but that's getting fixed now. 8+ with room for more

*The Who - Behind Blue Eyes. Is Big Brother doing work on my eyeing Tim's 1971 list? Regardless, a classic. And I was happy when I played this for our kids last summer and they asked to add it to their playlist. Timeless. 8

*Roky Erickson - Crazy Crazy Mama. I have no idea who this is, but I'm gonna find out more. Add. 9

*Seriously, another one of my add's?! Riders on the stooorm... :happy place: 10 A ####### 10

*Lucinda Williams - Can't Let Go. Yyyyyesss! ####### legend. When country music does it right it doesn't get much better. This spin on the playlist might be the best one yet. Another 10

*Radiohead - Pyramid Song. Aaand I spoke too soon. I know you all love Radiohead, but they're more miss than hit with me. (let's give this one an honest listen though) ...well, that was quite boring. 2.something - maybe lower. I stopped listening halfway through when it was obviously not gonna go anywhere.

*Thin Lizzy - Still In Love With You. A band perpetually on my you need to listen to list that just never quite gets there. This was a nice intro to them. 7 with room for more

*Gorillaz - Plastic Beach. I've never sampled anything of theirs beyond what hit mainstream in the early aughts. And I have absolutely no clue what I just listened to. We'll give that one a 3 with room to move in either direction if I ever listen to it again

*Johnny Cash - Cocaine Blues. Well, that was a wild ride through the mix. This seems like a fitting way to end that journey of peaks and valleys. 9+ and probably higher

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

Emo? Metal?

Glam metal wannabe all the way.  Called themselves metal of course.  The singer thought he was on his way, one of the few cats in my bible belt school who had the full on hair.  Can't remember his name.  I remember a Dokken song and a Poison song (their biggest) in play

Plus some ridiculous originals

Oh yeah they had a crap ballad called "Desirée" which is probably the most interesting thing they did

Edited by JZilla
  • Laughing 1

This is one I figure I could take very late, since no one seems to love these guys like I do.

But then Glen Hansard chat took up a whole page.

Simply one of my all-time favorite bands.  This is a live show recorded in 2002, and it ####### rocks.  

20.16 - The Frames - Set List (2002)

Revelate

Fitzcarraldo  <-----over 8 minutes long!  Happy to join that party.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 5
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, JZilla said:

Commitments is a great pick here, I wish I'd thought of it so I could be madder right now

I have one like that from the year I was born, lol. I mean I would be really mad if it goes.  Wicked obscure.

23 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Today's playlist mix

*Thin Lizzy - Still In Love With You. A band perpetually on my you need to listen to list that just never quite gets there. This was a nice intro to them. 7 with room for more

This tune is actually a bit of a departure from their more rocking sound, but it shows the emotion and soul behind Phil Lynott's voice/presence. And the two guitar solos (first one by Brian Robertson, second one by Scott Gorham) are to die for.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, JZilla said:

Glam metal wannabe all the way.  Called themselves metal of course.  The singer thought he was on his way, one of the few cats in my bible belt school who had the full on hair.  Can't remember his name.  I remember a Dokken song and a Poison song (their biggest) in play

Plus some ridiculous originals

Oh yeah they had a crap ballad called "Desirée" which is probably the most interesting thing they did

It doesn’t get much worse than listening to or watching a bad glam metal band.  

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

29 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

*Gorillaz - Plastic Beach. I've never sampled anything of theirs beyond what hit mainstream in the early aughts. And I have absolutely no clue what I just listened to. We'll give that one a 3 with room to move in either direction if I ever listen to it again

I feel attacked.

:lmao:

1 minute ago, shuke said:

What are the rules on movie soundtracks?

Something something have a little new music and not just previously released songs something something.

Edited by krista4

4 minutes ago, RedmondLonghorn said:

I feel attacked.

:lol: I was baffled listening to it. At times I was wondering if I enjoyed it. There were other times I just wanted to hit next. And I couldn't ever anticipate what was going to happen next. It was a lot to absorb in less than 4 minutes. It ended and I just felt exhausted and over whelmed with confusion.

9 minutes ago, PIK95 said:

The guy from the Wire?

Has his nephew hit his bottom yet?

Yeah, he was in the wire (Walon). As for the nephew, I don't know. I think the only real rock bottom is death. Until that happens, there can be hope to get yourself right.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, MAC_32 said:

:lol: I was baffled listening to it. At times I was wondering if I enjoyed it. There were other times I just wanted to hit next. And I couldn't ever anticipate what was going to happen next. It was a lot to absorb in less than 4 minutes. It ended and I just felt exhausted and over whelmed with confusion.

What song you guys talking about here?

9 minutes ago, RedmondLonghorn said:

I feel attacked.

He's just balancing it how much I liked it when I heard it. Regression to the mean. I don't remember if I gave it a number rating but I had the same 'whoa' reaction when I heard it,,,,but in wtf this is awesome way

Edited by Buffaloes

28 minutes ago, krista4 said:

This is one I figure I could take very late, since no one seems to love these guys like I do.

But then Glen Hansard chat took up a whole page.

Simply one of my all-time favorite bands.  This is a live show recorded in 2002, and it ####### rocks.  

20.16 - The Frames - Set List (2002)

Revelate

Fitzcarraldo  <-----over 8 minutes long!  Happy to join that party.

ooooooh... nice! a fellow FBG turned me on to this album- I think gb, booby layne. it has a lengthy intro/story about a dog, but what happens when the heart just stops is personal favorite.

12 minutes ago, Eephus said:

20.17 - There's a Riot Goin' On - Sly & The Family Stone (1971)

Cocaine is a helluva drug and this is a helluva album.

Luv N' Haight

Runnin' Away

my mom has taught a memoir writing class at college of marin for years/decades- geared for senior citizens. at some point it became clear to her that one of her students was either in the band, or was sly's lady... every piece was about them and the band. wish I had read them now.

it's a bit weird Sly doesn't get as much credit lately as so many of his peers- that's an all-timer album, taken in the 20th round... like 87,000th pick.

• Like 2

I remember when Sly was living in a van in Los Angeles. He sued for back royalties his manager and lawyer cheated him out of.  He was awarded around 5 million dollars about 5 years ago.

Edited by simey
  • Love 1

Lot's of shuffling going on for my last 10, although I will certainly pick more records until this thread closes, but for now, it's just the feel of the day and I feel I need this one, rest in peace Adam Schlesinger a brutal casualty of the virus... gone way too soon....

Rd 20 - Fountains Of Wayne ‎– Welcome Interstate Managers - 2003

• bright future in sales (not stacey's mom ;) )
  • all kinds of time
Edited by mphtrilogy
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

ooooooh... nice! a fellow FBG turned me on to this album- I think gb, booby layne. it has a lengthy intro/story about a dog, but what happens when the heart just stops is personal favorite.

That's my favorite song of theirs, but I didn't choose this version for the mix because of that long intro story.  I like the story, but it would mess up the mix.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, simey said:

I remember when Sly was living in a van in Los Angeles. He sued for back royalties his manager and lawyer cheated him out of.  He was awarded around 5 million dollars about 5 years ago.

wow! had no idea about this. backs up what I'm talking about- based on his talent, that should be a huge story on my radar instead of just hearing about it now. t minus .... for wikkid's story about sly stealing everything he knows from mo pogstein, a fiddle player from arkansas who toured with bonnie and the gang and had a drier wit than marty. 

• Laughing 1

Just now, krista4 said:

That's my favorite song of theirs, but I didn't choose this version for the mix because of that long intro story.  I like the story, but it would mess up the mix.

I like the story too... and has become part of the song for me. but yeah- too long for proper music and whatnot.

1 hour ago, Raging weasel said:

If a bunch of people drop out after round 20 can I get in for the last 10? Have Spotify but not sure I know how to post links from my phone if that makes a difference.

You can jump in for sure. I think we're going 40 rounds now (for people who choose to), so you could pick up to 20 albums.

@krista4 Is it safe to say @Oliver Humanzee isn't jumping back in at this point? For ease of updating the spreadsheet, I think I will switch Raging weasel into his draft slot for rounds 21-40 - and if Oliver does come back, he's still got all the open slots in rounds 7-20 fill. Does that make sense?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

Lot's of shuffling going on for my last 10, although I will certainly pick more records until this thread closes, but for now, it's just the feel of the day and I feel I need this one, rest in peace Adam Schlesinger a brutal casualty of the virus... gone way too soon....

Rd 20 - Fountains Of Wayne ‎– Welcome Interstate Managers - 2003

• stacy's mom
  • all kinds of time

Thought about taking this yesterday, probably should have. Also, my petition to change Stacy's Mom to any of 'Mexican Wine',  'Hackensack', 'Little Red Light' or 'Bright Future in Sales' starts here please sign everyone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Northern Voice said:

You can jump in for sure. I think we're going 40 rounds now (for people who choose to), so you could pick up to 20 albums.

@krista4 Is it safe to say @Oliver Humanzee isn't jumping back in at this point? For ease of updating the spreadsheet, I think I will switch Raging weasel into his draft slot for rounds 21-40 - and if Oliver does come back, he's still got all the open slots in rounds 7-20 fill. Does that make sense?

He's definitely out.

• Thanks 1

Rd 20

DamnedDamnedDamned - Tbe Damned (1977)

(the second greatest punk album ever)

the last of London's Big 3 (Pistols/Clash/Damned), but these guys released the first proper single ("New Rose"), and this Nick Lowe scorcher was also the first LP to hit the racks. 

fronted by Dave Vanian's Drac shtick, they were (are) a legendary live act ... Captain Sensible is out his cotdamn mind, and Rat Scabies is as furious a drummer as we've ever seen - the brash balls of Moon, the power of Bonzo ... kid could play. 

the glue holding this all together was prime axeman Brian James ... he wrote the majority of the songs, and provided the perfect sonic chops to move this relentless chugger along ... could be the most blistering player the scene churned out - Jonesy was more expressive, Johnny Ramone more aggressive - James fell right in the middle, and carved his own niche by striking the perfect chord(s) for this glorious mess of a band. 

and nobody was having more fun than these cats - the Ramones labored under Johnny's iron fist, the Pistols took all the street heat, and the Clash were soooo ####### serious - but the Damned were absurd anarchist theater, and they had a blast reminding you at every turn.  

the Stooges on speed - that's what they aspired to, and i'll be damned if they didn't hit that mark as best they could up on this one.  

just like the Clash, their sophomore effort failed to live up to the frenzy of the debut ... Floyd's Nick Mason came on board to produce the follow up platter, but little could be done to energize the blasé material. 

James left the band shortly after, and they regrouped rather nicely with one of '79's finest albums ... then they veered to a more Goth-centric sound, which i personally loved very much. 

but it all started with this raucous debut ... for my money, it's second only to the Ramones eponymous album as far as greatest of that class is concerned. 

salt o'the scene buncha yobbs who deserve so much more credit than they receive - but who really gives a ####, ya know? 

still a great live act, you won't be disappointed - i never walked out of a Damned gig needing anything more than a shower and a transfusion.

the album is full of hot #### from needle to needle, can't go wrong with any of it ... but these two gotta go - list 'em!

New Rose  as landmark as it gets, for being the first punk 45 ever pressed, and i really can't think of a more exemplary shot to capture that Class of '76 - short/sweet/sonic/simple. 

I Feel Alright  if you're gonna cover the Stooges, ya better do 'em justice. best track they laid down. 

done. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Thinking 1