Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program

28 minutes ago, rcam said:

Been in meetings all morning, just got out. Feel free to skip me. I will get in a pick "soon".

I'm in a Zoom right now!  Have been since 8am

This thread is one of the things keeping me sane.  TIA

Edited by Hov34

4 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

You can jump in for sure. I think we're going 40 rounds now (for people who choose to), so you could pick up to 20 albums.

@krista4 Is it safe to say @Oliver Humanzee isn't jumping back in at this point? For ease of updating the spreadsheet, I think I will switch Raging weasel into his draft slot for rounds 21-40 - and if Oliver does come back, he's still got all the open slots in rounds 7-20 fill. Does that make sense?

Can I get in on this too? Por favor?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

wow! had no idea about this. backs up what I'm talking about- based on his talent, that should be a huge story on my radar instead of just hearing about it now. t minus .... for wikkid's story about sly stealing everything he knows from mo pogstein, a fiddle player from arkansas who toured with bonnie and the gang and had a drier wit than marty. 

Leonard Cohen's longtime manager ripped him off too. She embezzled millions from him, and sold some of his publishing rights behind his back. He tried getting the money back from her in a lawsuit, and she was ordered to pay him 9 million, but she paid him nothing. She did go to prison for almost two years for threatening him. He basically came out of retirement after 15 years, and started making records and touring again to recoup some of the money that was stolen from him. His friends said he found that he enjoyed sharing his music and touring in his later years instead of it being a burden. He didn't let his former manager ruin him. He went out on the high note.

Edited by simey
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, simey said:

Yeah, he was in the wire (Walon). As for the nephew, I don't know. I think the only real rock bottom is death. Until that happens, there can be hope to get yourself right.

I think his point (it's been six months since I watched) was that his nephew would only want to help himself get right, once things got to a point of bad he couldn't handle.  My uncle overdosed eight times that we know about.  He's clean this week so I get it.

• Like 1

Screw it, even though the album I’m taking isn’t on Spotify, the songs I’m taking are on there as singles (let me know if you need help finding them). On my fictitious island, I’ll be able to bring my record with me anyway.  I’m going a bit Eephus-like on this pick. This is a combination of songs from their first album (which hadn’t been released in the US yet) and other singles from the band not previously released on an an album. Yo Mama selects:

20.22 - The Cure - Boys Don’t Cry (1980)

1 - Boys Don’t Cry

2 - Plastic Passion

3 - 10:15 Saturday Night

4 - Accuracy

5 - Object

6 - Jumping Someone Else’s Train

7 - Subway Song

8 - Killing an Arab

9 - Fire in Cairo

10 - Another Day

11 - Grinding Halt

12 - World War

13 - Three Imaginary Boys

I can still remember my 9th grade English teacher thinking she was cool by playing Killing an Arab to the class and snapping her fingers somewhat to the beat after we read The Stranger. For my songs, I’ll take:

Jumping Someone Else’s Train

10:15 Saturday Night

• Like 7
  • Love 4

1 minute ago, simey said:

Leonard Cohen's longtime manager ripped him off too. She embezzled millions from him, and sold some of his publishing rights behind his back. He tried getting the money back from her in a lawsuit, and she was ordered to pay him 9 million, but she paid him nothing. She did go to prison for almost two years for threatening him. He basically came out of retirement after 15 years, and started making records and touring again to recoup some of the money that was stolen from him. His friends said he found that he enjoyed sharing his music and touring in his later years instead of it being a burden. He didn't let his former manager ruin him. He went out on the high note.

He killed it on the Big Bang Theory.  Sheldon got his DNA from a Penny napkin, lol.

1 minute ago, PIK95 said:
33 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Something something have a little new music and not just previously released songs something something.

This is the first I have heard of this little new music part.  

It was in the thread within the last 48 hours, because I asked @Northern Voice what the rules were for soundtracks.

Also someone questioned one of your soundtrack picks in this regard, but you did not respond.  ;)

Edited by krista4

20.25  Tim Buckley - Happy Sad (1969)

I didn't really start listening to Tim Buckley until after I became fanatical about his son.  They both died in their late 20's but fortunately Tim released 9 albums before his death, the first 5 of which are fantastic.  This is my favorite of his.

It's clear where Jeff got his musical chops from---such a great voice. Such a sad family story, though.

Strange Feelin'

Buzzin' Fly

• Like 4

Just now, krista4 said:
33 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Something something have a little new music and not just previously released songs something something.

This is the first I have heard of this little new music part.  

The draft basically only has one rule, No Greatest Hits. That applies to soundtracks as well.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, simey said:
19 hours ago, PIK95 said:

19.07 Remember the Titans Soundtrack

Year 2000

I like this soundtrack, but is it a bull blown compilation one? I can't remember if there were any original songs on it for the soundtrack.

@PIK95

8 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Thought about taking this yesterday, probably should have. Also, my petition to change Stacy's Mom to any of 'Mexican Wine',  'Hackensack', 'Little Red Light' or 'Bright Future in Sales' starts here please sign everyone.

haha, yeah np, we can change it to Bright Future in Sales...  I usually take the chalk pick for the not familiar crowd, but hey who's not familiar with this one?

I use Denise as my ring tone, that's my Wife's name, she also lived in Queens, lol

On 5/15/2020 at 4:36 PM, Northern Voice said:
On 5/15/2020 at 4:33 PM, Eephus said:

I think the only thing off limits are artist greatest hits compilations.

Monsterrey Pop is a box set and it's on an island.  I personally don't see anything wrong with Springsteen 75-85 other than there's not enough of his early stuff.

Greatest hits type soundtracks and compilations I.e. Forrest Gump soundtrack are supposed to be off limits but I'm not enforcing. 

Found this from earlier, too.  Got it.  I believe there was discussion early of needing to have a little new music, but that must not have been an ***official*** ruling.  Sorry!

I'll switch it if NV wants, but how is that illegal (new rule?) And Springsteen 75-85 not?

Live albums were declared eligible from page one post one, I'm sure as hell not parsing every live album drafted to see if they are all one concert or not

13 minutes ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

I didn't really start listening to Tim Buckley until after I became fanatical about his son.  They both died in their late 20's but fortunately Tim released 9 albums before his death, the first 5 of which are fantastic.  This is my favorite of his.

It's clear where Jeff got his musical chops from---such a great voice. Such a sad family story, though.

Strange Feelin'

Buzzin' Fly

Trivia - Gregg Allman was a huge Tim Buckley fan. Gregg is more known for playing piano, but he played the guitar too, and his style of playing he learned from Tim and not his brother Duane.

Edited by simey
  • Like 3

20.29 Joy Division, Substance (1988)

Atmosphere
Transmission

Swamped with work today (Portuguese subtitles for the UglyDolls movie), but I'll keep it moving here with one of the few times I'll dip my toe in the murky compilation waters. Substance collects songs from singles and EP releases that aren't on any of the band's albums, so there's not much getting around it.

"Atmosphere" is one of my all-time favorite songs, almost an out-of-body experience when listening to it on good speakers/headphones at night with nothing else around. Could've gone with Love Will Tear Us Apart for the second playlist pick, but I love the energy in "Transmission". Love the version of She's Lost Control included here too.

Edited by Abrantes
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, Abrantes said:

Atmosphere
Transmission

Swamped with work today (Portuguese subtitles for the UglyDolls movie), but I'll keep it moving here with one of the few times I'll dip my toe in the murky compilation waters. Substance collects songs from singles and EP releases that aren't on any of the band's albums, so there's not much getting around it.

"Atmosphere" is one of my all-time favorite songs, almost an out-of-body experience when listening to it on good speakers/headphones at night with nothing else around. Could've gone with Love Will Tear Us Apart for the second playlist pick, but I love the energy in "Transmission". Love the version of She's Lost Control included here too.

:mellow:

Totally slipped my mind. Damn.

• Thanks 1

Pure pop perfection. Often in these drafts, someone cops out and drafts the Ryan Adams cover version because that's how undeniable the songs are here. 

20.32 - Taylor Swift - 1989 (2014)

1.    "Welcome to New York"  
2.    "Blank Space" 
3.    "Style"    
4.    "Out of the Woods"    
5.    "All You Had to Do Was Stay" 
6.    "Shake It Off"    
7.    "I Wish You Would"
8.    "Bad Blood"    
9.    "Wildest Dreams"    
10.    "How You Get the Girl"
11.    "This Love"    
12.    "I Know Places"    
13.    "Clean"    

Edited by Northern Voice
  • Like 4

FWIW, when I was going through the spreadsheet, I noticed a couple of "anomalies" in a couple of my picks, and since I don't have--and don't particularly want--write access, I hope it's not a problem for the following changes to be made:

1. Please change the title of my round 11 pick from The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel to Kamikiriad

2. Please remove "whatever:" from the title of my round 17 pick.

3. Please add the year 1975 to my 20th round pick.

Please and thank you.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Northern Voice said:

Pure pop perfection. Often in these drafts, someone cops out and drafts the Ryan Adams cover version because that's how undeniable the songs are here. 

Taylor Swift - 1989

1.    "Welcome to New York"  
2.    "Blank Space" 
3.    "Style"    
4.    "Out of the Woods"    
5.    "All You Had to Do Was Stay" 
6.    "Shake It Off"    
7.    "I Wish You Would"
8.    "Bad Blood"    
9.    "Wildest Dreams"    
10.    "How You Get the Girl"
11.    "This Love"    
12.    "I Know Places"    
13.    "Clean"    

I almost took this last round, lol.

• Thanks 1

So can I take Almost Famous soundtrack since it has Fever Dog which was a new song?

It has nothing to do with new songs. If it's a greatest hits, it's out. I've used the Forrest Gump example in here ten ####### times. Almost Famous in my eyes is pretty similar. So is Remember the Titans. But take whatever you like, I'm not making you throw it back. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bonzai said:

Pavement - Brighten The Corners (1997)

I think this is my favorite one. It's probably the one I've listened to the most at least. So breezy.

I'm short on time and don't know which songs, I'll add them later.

Blue Hawaiian

Harness Your Hopes

Gonna include HYH from the extended album version. I have no idea why it's the most played song by Pavement on Spotify, but it is a sweet tune.

Edited by Bonzai
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, Northern Voice said:

It has nothing to do with new songs. If it's a greatest hits, it's out. I've used the Forrest Gump example in here ten ####### times. Almost Famous in my eyes is pretty similar. So is Remember the Titans. But take whatever you like, I'm not making you throw it back. 

I'll throw it back.  I just saw others making "shady" picks and wanted to beat them to the punch.

35 minutes ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

Strange Feelin'

Buzzin' Fly

oh- oops, I kinda spotlighted Tim after the Jeff Buckley Grace pick... glad it didn't spoil this for you.

21 minutes ago, Abrantes said:

Atmosphere
Transmission

you know I was looking at this. still going no comps...until I undoubtedly change my mind.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

it's a bit weird Sly doesn't get as much credit lately as so many of his peers- that's an all-timer album, taken in the 20th round... like 87,000th pick.

Sly's half century of addict/###hole behavior doesn't fit the standard tortured musical genius narratives of that must end in either personal redemption or premature death.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Found this from earlier, too.  Got it.  I believe there was discussion early of needing to have a little new music, but that must not have been an ***official*** ruling.  Sorry!

I got my wires crossed somewhere along the way too. I was excited because I wasn't sure how to get Sinatra in my island, but then I twisted myself in enough knots that left me convinced that I could select Best of the Best. Alas, it was not meant to be. And I have no clue what of his actual albums, if any, beyond Wee Small Hours are any good. So, sorry Frank...