What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (8 Viewers)

Woke up too early because my daughter had an early morning medical procedure.  Drank too much coffee to compensate.

Now I'm too tired and wired to do much of anything.

I wasn’t planning on going here yet, but there has been a lot of sniper activity today then another one-and-done 90’s artist fell off the board. I resisted being reactionary early in the draft, but at this point there’s no such thing as a reach. Just pick your jams.

Round 21, Toadies - Rubberneck (1994)

When I think of 90’s alternative rock this and the substantially more popular Throwing Copper are the albums I immediately think of. It isn’t pop, it isn’t punk, and it isn’t metal. If you’re the type that gets drawn in by lyrical content then this isn’t the act for you. Raw talent? Notsomuch, this band struggled so much with guitar solos that they just replaced it with distortion. Stage presence? That’s not really the Toadies thing. They put their heart & soul into their music, but there is rarely even any spoken words between songs at their show. Although one time immediately after they opened with Possum Kingdom the lead singer Vaden got on the mic and said those who just showed up for that song could leave now. (so help me) Jesus, look at the sell job I’m doing for these guys! But I’m not trying to sell you on them. They aren’t for most. All of that is just why they were a one-and-done. They lacked the ingredients for staying power. But they created the right record at the right time – and despite their limitations, this album ####### rocks.

Mr. Love

Backslider

The most apt description I recall is a fuzzed-out alt-rock swamp boogie. It’s stood the test of time. And I needed multiple spins to figure out which two to add to the list. If these do it for you then queue up I Come From the Water and Quitter next. And if you’re still hooked then give the whole thing a shot. You’ve done worse things with 36 minutes of your life. But if these two are a miss for you? Then this talentless no-nonsense act ain’t for you.

21.35 Midnight Special – Jimmy Smith (1961)
I will be the first to admit I don’t know anything much about jazz. But I know this is amazing. I also know that in addition to Jimmy Smith on the organ, this album features Stanley Turrentine on sax.

There are only five songs on the whole album, which runs at just 36 minutes. So the album is short, but the songs are long. Choosing is hard.

Songs:
Midnight Special (this one clocks at just under 10 minutes. Sorry, not sorry)
Jumpin’ the Blues

I wasn’t planning on going here yet, but there has been a lot of sniper activity today then another one-and-done 90’s artist fell off the board. I resisted being reactionary early in the draft, but at this point there’s no such thing as a reach. Just pick your jams.

When I think of 90’s alternative rock this and the substantially more popular Throwing Copper are the albums I immediately think of. It isn’t pop, it isn’t punk, and it isn’t metal. If you’re the type that gets drawn in by lyrical content then this isn’t the act for you. Raw talent? Notsomuch, this band struggled so much with guitar solos that they just replaced it with distortion. Stage presence? That’s not really the Toadies thing. They put their heart & soul into their music, but there is rarely even any spoken words between songs at their show. Although one time immediately after they opened with Possum Kingdom the lead singer Vaden got on the mic and said those who just showed up for that song could leave now. (so help me) Jesus, look at the sell job I’m doing for these guys! But I’m not trying to sell you on them. They aren’t for most. All of that is just why they were a one-and-done. They lacked the ingredients for staying power. But they created the right record at the right time – and despite their limitations, this album ####### rocks.

Mr. Love

Backslider

The most apt description I recall is a fuzzed-out alt-rock swamp boogie. It’s stood the test of time. And I needed multiple spins to figure out which two to add to the list. If these do it for you then queue up I Come From the Water and Quitter next. And if you’re still hooked then give the whole thing a shot. You’ve done worse things with 36 minutes of your life. But if these two are a miss for you? Then this talentless no-nonsense act ain’t for you.
Tyler

@rockaction asked earlier to be skipped, but then came in to make up some picks, so I'm not sure.  If not skipped, he is ITC.

@simey also ITC!

@Northern Voice With cos on skip, this brings us to the end of Round 21.  Do you want to pause here to figure out how this should go?

We're nearing the point in the draft where all my top albums are by Canadian artists that I won't be sniped on and have drafted before but also would desperately need on my real life artist. 

Hard to say as properties in Boston especially town houses are bunched together. They argued it was growing on their side.
They have a legal right to cut down any branches of the tree that extend onto their property but certainly not the entire tree.  I agree with shuke, unless the entire trunk of the tree was on their property, it's time to call an attorney.  

Top 5 albums you're most gutted about missing
Just off the top of my head:

Exile

The Suburbs

Physical Graffiti

The Body, the Blood, the Machine 

Animals

Stuff I should have grabbed when I had the chance: Dookie, Hail to the Thief, Meddle, Master of Puppets, The Band, Lonesome Crowded West

@rockaction asked earlier to be skipped, but then came in to make up some picks, so I'm not sure.  If not skipped, he is ITC.

@simey

@Northern Voice With cos on skip, this brings us to the end of Round 21.  Do you want to pause here to figure out how this should go?
That may be the smart idea but there are 16 people in the thread and picks, banter and alcohol are flowing, so I'm going to say let it roll on tonight and tomorrow NV can work out what happens beyond this. I'll jump in shortly for the Google doc if you like. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I too am having a record-setting, unprecedented terrible day, but on a personal front that I won't post here.  I'm taking the day off and dedicating myself to the draft now.  Later tonight I'll add way too much wine and pizza for comfort.
I was having one yesterday and part of the day but I promise I'll dedicate myself back to this thread and the Claude Edwards-Helaire thread going so well for me in the Shark Pool if you dedicate yourself to wine, pizza, comfort, and draft. Here's to positive thoughts sent your way. 

That may be the smart idea but there are 16 people in the thread and picks banter and alcohol are flowing, so I'm going to say let it roll on tonight and tomorrow NV can work out what happens beyond this. I'll jump in shortly for the Google doc if you like. 
I'm OK at this point.  Earlier was tough when I was trying actually to work at the same time.  In an hour or so I'll pour some wine and then it will be even smoother sailing.

@Bonzai, you're back ITC with @simey (for two) and possibly @rockaction (I'll give him a little bit before moving on).  @cosjobs can also choose some more at his pleasure.

Dinosaur Jr. - Where You Been (1993)

I'm not sure if this is who Tufnel was referencing earlier, but the solos on this album are bananas. Like Brighten the Corners, this probably isn't their best, but it's the one I want. I think it's just that the production is that much better. 

Start Choppin'

Get Me
Funnily enough this isn’t the band I was talking about but as I looked at my list I thought one easily could have thought that’s who I was talking about. 

I was having one yesterday and part of the day but I promise I'll dedicate myself back to this thread and the Claude Edwards-Helaire thread going so well for me in the Shark Pool if you dedicate yourself to wine, pizza, comfort, and draft. Here's to positive thoughts sent your way. 
There he is!  Sweet sentiments; thank you.

You can choose two if you'd like.

21.38 - Jean Grae - Attack Of The Attacking Things - (2002)

After going with the greatest hits package for my last two, I'll get personal with this one. This one is a little-known emcee named Jean Grae from Brooklyn. She cut this in 2002, and it was her first full-length proper release. Wordplay abounds and her sick flow is only added to by her dopeness in content.

Hustles don't get knocked, except the ones that
#### with my business and dough, you can forget that
I told you once it's not gangsta, it's just right
Don't get it ####ed, I don't like to spit my #### twice
Keep your fake thuggin, afraid to get in fist fights
Glittery knuckles never made me shiver, buckle never
Knocka, this how I get down

Get It

Knock

Yeah, I had a crappy day yesterday as well, couldn't focus on any of the things I needed/wanted to do. Today, they delivered the 10,000 pounds of dirt I ordered for our cut flower boxes and I had move that from the driveway into the boxes in the backyard. Now I feel great mentally. Go figure. 

Mr. Love

Backslider

I was thinking about them yesterday.  Wasn't really sure how high they would go.

Users who are viewing this thread