Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program

1.33 Tommy - The Who

At the risk of setting myself up to be sniped, I'll say I've always been a sucker for concept albums and this is the granddaddy of them all. A work of genius by Pete in songwriting/storytelling. 

When I was living in Weehawken on the Hudson River people would always come to my place on the 4th to watch the Macy's Fireworks from my terrace and this album was the perfect soundtrack for it.

Christmas

We're Not Gonna Take It / See Me, Feel Me

Edited by Dr. Octopus
  • Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Thinking 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

When I was living in Weehawken on the Hudson River people would always come to my place to watch the Macy's Fireworks on the 4th from my terrace and this album was the perfect soundtrack for it.

I used to take the ferry to Weehawken from NYC for work many moons ago - really nice area. A not-so-good memory was that I was at the Houlihan's there at the time of the first bombing of the World Trade Center in 1993. :(

24 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

1.33 Tommy - The Who

When I was living in Weehawken on the Hudson River 

wonder if i ever ran into you at the Squeeze, doc 🤔 i didn't go there often, but, when i did - uhhhh, let's just say it was kinda like a slice of trailer park nestled under that Hoboken overpass 😁 fun girlz, tho.

best views of the City, bar none, up in that town ... the Hamilton/Burr landmark, wow - feels like you can reach out and buy a beer from a bar in Midtown - it's that crystal. 

14 minutes ago, zamboni said:

I used to take the ferry to Weehawken from NYC for work many moons ago - really nice area. A not-so-good memory was that I was at the Houlihan's there at the time of the first bombing of the World Trade Center in 1993. :(

my cousin and his crew worked security there from '84 'til that bombing in 2/93 ... they were the overnight cats, and had just gotten off shift - their firm was canned as a result, of course ... my late brother even pulled a couple years with them - he missed the bombing by a few months. 

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

wonder if i ever ran into you at the Squeeze, doc 🤔 i didn't go there often, but, when i did - uhhhh, let's just say it was kinda like a slice of trailer park nestled under that Hoboken overpass 😁 fun girlz, tho.

best views of the City, bar none, up in that town ... the Hamilton/Burr landmark, wow - feels like you can reach out and buy a beer from a bar in Midtown - it's that crystal. 

I still own the condo and rent it out. It’s in a building right where the Hamilton/Burr Park is on BLVD East. The view is definitely the selling point of the condo.

I went to the squeeze once, maybe twice. It was uhhh...interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

1.33 Tommy - The Who

At the risk of setting myself up to be sniped, I'll say I've always been a sucker for concept albums and this is the granddaddy of them all. A work of genius by Pete in songwriting/storytelling. 

When I was living in Weehawken on the Hudson River people would always come to my place on the 4th to watch the Macy's Fireworks from my terrace and this album was the perfect soundtrack for it.

Christmas

not to get too sad, but this record now has a special place in my life, I played it through the day after my Sister passed away suddenly last year, very cathartic and now is ingrained into my memories in a powerful way..

great choice...

• Love 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

1.33 Tommy - The Who

Christmas

Playlist updated to here besides confirmation on what Nirvana songs are going in.  I just put in two placeholders.  

8 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Rd 1: Astral Weeks by Van Morrison 

Easy call for me, my 1.01

Another fantastic pick, and I would've been happy taking it in the 1st too. Love Van, love Richard Davis's bass playing. All the instrumentation comes together like a dream.

The album's opening lyrics already take us to another world.

If I ventured in the slipstream
Between the viaducts of your dream
Where immobile steel rims crack
And the ditch in the back roads stop
Could you find me?

• Like 1

1.34 Rage Against The Machine - Self Titled

One thing was very clear after I assembled a rough list of 25-30 artists yesterday. There were two that ended up somewhere near the top that also did not include a backup plan. In a pool this deep scarcity matters and there isn't anything else in this catalog under consideration. So, a reach? Yep, but I wasn't chancing this being a 3rd round pick by someone else. #### you I won't do what you tell me.

Know Your Enemy

Bullet in the Head

@simey

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I really like Van Morrison and there's 3-4 albums of his that are in consideration for me, but for as much love as this one gets, I really can't get into it for some reason. 

I can see that. My wife feels the same way. She loves Van but AW is a little jazzy and free form for her tastes. 

43 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Playlist updated to here besides confirmation on what Nirvana songs are going in.  I just put in two placeholders.  

If he's still not posted his list by pick #2.3 then the selection is null and void and available to others in the pool.

15 hours ago, mphtrilogy said:

This was the first record I ever bought and it's the first record that comes onto the Island with me, the original purchase hangs on my family room wall.  I was 17 when I purchased this, a bit of a late bloomer when it came to discovering music, but have been making up for it ever since.   A band at the apex of its musical powers, not necessarily my #1 TH record but it has to be first off the board for me.  One of my favorite bands of all time, I saw them on this tour at Forest Hills Stadium and J Demme captured the vibe perfectly in the terrific Stop Making Sense concert film.

Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues - 1983

Burning Down the House / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3eC35LoF4U

Making Flippy Floppy / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xphLY5ucIpQ

Girlfriend is Better / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK7hC8p5DJ0

This must be the place (Naive Melody) / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsccjsW8bSY

Jeff Bridges Compares PULP FICTION To The Talking Heads

Jeff Brides explains that watching the film PULP FICTION for the first time reminded him of seeing the musical group The Talking Heads for the first time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

I can see that. My wife feels the same way. She loves Van but AW is a little jazzy and free form for her tastes. 

I need to give it another try - what makes it even more bizarre is that the bolded is generally not an issue for me.

13 hours ago, krista4 said:

Nevermind, he's still 15 minutes away, so I'll post the pick and he can write it up when he gets here.  This one was not initially on his radar as we didn't think there was any chance it would be here at 1.24.

(For Oliver Humanzee)  1.24 - Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Paul McCartney when asked when he became aware of the Beach Boys

Paul McCartney Comments

WHEN DID YOU BECOME AWARE OF THE BEACH BOYS?

PAUL: "The early surf records...I was aware of them as a musical act, and I used to like all that, but I didn't get deeply interested in it---it was just a real nice sound...We used to admire the singing, the high falsetto really and the very sort of 'California' lyrics.

"It was later...it was Pet Sounds that blew me out of the water. First of all, it was Brian's writing. I love the album so much. I've just bought my kids each a copy of it for their education in life---I figure no one is educated musically 'til they've heard that album. I was into the writing and the songs.

"The other thing that really made me sit up and take notice was the bass lines on Pet Sounds. If you were in the key of C, you would normally use---the root note would be, like, a C on the bass (demonstrates vocally). You'd always be on the C. I'd done a little bit of work, like on 'Michelle,' where you don't use the obvious bass line. And you just get a completely different effect if you play a G when the band is playing in C. There's a kind of tension created.

"I don't really understand how it happens musically, because I'm not very technical musically. But something special happens. And I noticed that throughout that Brian would be using notes that weren't the obvious notes to use. As I say, 'the G if you're in C---that kind of thing. And also putting melodies in the bass line. That I think was probably the big influence that set me thinking when we recorded Pepper, it set me off on a period I had then for a couple of years of nearly always writing quite melodic bass lines."

35. Abbey Road - The Beatles

When it comes to artists or bands they are my favorite. I would be happy with most any of their albums, but since this is one of my favorites and it is still available, I might as well take it. I'd choose the medley as one of my two samples, but I don't think that would work right on the spotify list.  I'll go with these two...

Here Comes the Sun

You Never Give Me Your Money

• Like 9
  • Love 11

2 minutes ago, simey said:

When it comes to artists or bands they are my favorite. I would be happy with most any of their albums, but since this is one of my favorites and it is still available, I might as well take it. I'd choose the medley as one of my two samples, but I don't think that would work right on the spotify list.  I'll go with these two...

Here Comes the Sun

This is my favorite by them. I was half hoping it would make it around the turn - but that would have presented me with a tough choice anyway.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

This is my favorite by them. I was half hoping it would make it around the turn - but that would have presented me with a tough choice anyway.

I know who your favorite band is, and I know what your favorite album by them is. Maybe I'll be an evil woman and make that choice for you easier. 😛 Wait i just did by taking that. :doh: I could still be an evil woman.

Edited by simey

40 minutes ago, zamboni said:

I've already got Hey Love slotted for round 40.

I mean, we joke about how hard it might be, but as I was talking to 80s about yesterday - just think about how many albums will be eaten up by the likes of Beatles, Floyd, Zeppelin, Dokken, etc..    Hell 10 bands/artists could easily eat up 10% of the albums.  Now if we were only allowing 1 per artist, that would be a different thing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

1.34 Rage Against The Machine - Self Titled

One thing was very clear after I assembled a rough list of 25-30 artists yesterday. There were two that ended up somewhere near the top that also did not include a backup plan. In a pool this deep scarcity matters and there isn't anything else in this catalog under consideration. So, a reach? Yep, but I wasn't chancing this being a 3rd round pick by someone else. #### you I won't do what you tell me.

Know Your Enemy

Bullet in the Head

@simey

You were right to pull the trigger here.  It was on my very short list for my selections at the other turn.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

If he's still not posted his list by pick #2.3 then the selection is null and void and available to others in the pool.

I will be harsher and disallow it from the pool altogether (I haven't been able to listen to that album much since the 90s).  

4 minutes ago, simey said:

I know who your favorite band is, and I know what your favorite album by them is. Maybe I'll be an evil woman and make that choice for you easier. 😛 Wait i just did by taking that. :doh: I could still be an evil woman.

I'd have to forgive you if you did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Tell me about it this is tough.

Yeah although I just looked back at the original draft and to my shock, one of the albums I am considering wasn't even taken. I think maybe there was some kind of backlash then about them not being cool. 

6 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I will be harsher and disallow it from the pool altogether (I haven't been able to listen to that album much since the 90s).  

Unplugged in NY is at least a once-a-monther in my office, beginning-to-end. Still get a chill in my spine on that final wail of Where Did You Sleep. And probably will until the day I die.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I feel like the 2nd round pick is tougher than 1st. There are 2 or 3 albums I really like but am not sure they have shot at coming back to 60 picks later.

For me, it is now. Wasn't before though.

15 minutes ago, simey said:

Here Comes the Sun

If you had told me this would have almost lasted until the second I’d have called you nuts. 

R1.35 Exile on Main Street / Rolling Stones

Tumbling Dice

Rocks Off

From The Atlantic: "Rocks Off," the first track of the Rolling Stones's Exile On Main Street, opens with a scratchy Keith Richards Telecaster riff punctuated by a single Charlie Watts snare hit. Mick Jagger lasciviously intones an "oh yeah," pitched perfectly between earnestness and irony. This sequence lasts all of five seconds, but you'd be hard-pressed to find five seconds that better articulate the brilliance of the Rolling Stones, much in the way that Exile, the band's 1972 shambling sprawl of a double-album that has recently enjoyed a re-issue, perfectly captures a too-brief period during which Rolling Stones were finally and indisputably the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World.

Edited by cosjobs
cleanup on aisle four
  • Like 11
  • Love 2
  • Sad 1

R2.01 Allman Brothers / Live at the Filmore East

Statesboro Blues

Whipping Post

From The Rolling Stone:If you’ve been so unfortunate as to never have caught the Allman Brothers Band live, this recording is certainly the next best thing. Turn the volume up all the way and sit through the concert; by the time it’s over you can almost imagine the Allman Band getting high and heading back to Macon (where, characteristically, they continue to live in unparanoid bliss) on their motorcycles. (Collectively, the group owns nine of them.) They’re one of the nicest things that ever happened to any of us.

I'll take the Deluxe Edition  for both LPs, as I dig free music, even when its already a double album.

Yes, two double albums, each with a bonus album gives me 12 sides of stellar Rock and Rock. An excellent foundation for my draft.

Edited by cosjobs
  • Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Thinking 1

21 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I mean, we joke about how hard it might be, but as I was talking to 80s about yesterday - just think about how many albums will be eaten up by the likes of Beatles, Floyd, Zeppelin, Dokken, etc..    Hell 10 bands/artists could easily eat up 10% of the albums.  Now if we were only allowing 1 per artist, that would be a different thing.  

You were fine until you mentioned the Beatles, Floyd and Zeppelin.

• Like 2