Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, otb_lifer said:

Rd 21 

American Recordings - Johnny Cash (1994)

gb Rick Rubin for putting this all together ... he had Johnny for the better part of the second half of '93, and they layed down these 13 remarkably minimalistic tracks - taking the Man in Black back to his roots - just a legend and his guitar. 

i love outlaw/rebel Cash more than just about any other sounds out there ... but this is such a compelling and gut wrenchingly gorgeous piece of work - it put him back where he belonged, and i'm very thankful for this gift they gave us. 

intimate settings (Rubin's house, Johnny's cabin) and the raw pleasure of being stripped back down to nothing but the stark words and music ... a most welcome career resurgence from one of our truest American heroes.

the haunting weariness (at times) of his vocals punctuate the route he took to get to 1993 - it was a long and arduous journey, yet here he is - coming back in all of his glory. 

couldn't be cooped without this one - so here we are ...

Redemption  penned by ex stepson-in-law Nick Lowe (there' that guy again, @northern exposure)

Tennessee Stud  recorded at the Viper Room - the ol' Lion had a ton of balls left 😎

 

Oh HELL yeah.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Is this a pick?  22nd round?  I didn't have you ITC?

Maybe I did some bad ITC math, I'm doing a few things at once and still haven't made it to the beach.  If somebody wants it I can repick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

Rd 21 

American Recordings - Johnny Cash (1994)

gb Rick Rubin for putting this all together ... he had Johnny for the better part of the second half of '93, and they layed down these 13 remarkably minimalistic tracks - taking the Man in Black back to his roots - just a legend and his guitar. 

i love outlaw/rebel Cash more than just about any other sounds out there ... but this is such a compelling and gut wrenchingly gorgeous piece of work - it put him back where he belonged, and i'm very thankful for this gift they gave us. 

intimate settings (Rubin's house, Johnny's cabin) and the raw pleasure of being stripped back down to nothing but the stark words and music ... a most welcome career resurgence from one of our truest American heroes.

the haunting weariness (at times) of his vocals punctuate the route he took to get to 1993 - it was a long and arduous journey, yet here he is - coming back in all of his glory. 

couldn't be cooped without this one - so here we are ...

Redemption  penned by ex stepson-in-law Nick Lowe (there' that guy again, @northern exposure)

Tennessee Stud  recorded at the Viper Room - the ol' Lion had a ton of balls left 😎

 

they’re all good.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JZilla said:

Maybe I did some bad ITC math, I'm doing a few things at once and still haven't made it to the beach.  If somebody wants it I can repick

You're up in a couple anyway.

Hov's 10 minutes are up, so @Mr. Ected may re-enter the chamber.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

this rotates in with 5 other EC as my favorite...

The five album run at the start of Costello's career is right up there with anyone's. It all happened in like three years with enough leftovers to fill another record. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

Recent shuffle:  Clash, Rogrigo y Gabriela, Guide By Voices, Op Ivy, Deftones, Modest Mouse, Talking Heads, Queen, Nick Drake, Pretenders, My Bloody Valentine, Oasis.

That's a nice run.  Thanks to you all.

Wow, that's a pretty fantastic shuffle tbh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, I am just going to take my one soundtrack compilation album. It's a giant bending of the rules but my only argument is

1. Most of these acts were in the business of putting out singles and not albums. Sinatra basically created the idea of the cohesive album in '55 with In the Wee Small Hours but at that point Sinatra was one of the biggest stars in the world with 20 years in the music business and a recent Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. He could afford to be creative. Most everyone else was in the business of just trying to get their new single on the radio. So it's not like I am doing this as a workaround for songs from albums other people took. 

2. The movie is the music. The soundtrack is the heart of the film and the movie can not exist without it.

3. It was pretty innovative. It has to be one of the first movies to use a collection of old songs for it's soundtrack. No original score, no new singles to sell. This movie helped pioneer how nostalgia could become a central aspect of a movie and movie making. It's not just the obvious future teen time capsule movies that were influenced by this but shows like Mad Men and movies like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. The music and even more, the radio itself sets the stages for the events of the story. 

4. It's my island so you got a problem, come take the album from me. 

22.9  41 Original Hits from the Soundtrack of American Graffiti (1973)

 I don't like that surfin' ####. Rock and roll's been going down hill ever since Buddy Holly died.

Heart and Soul by The Cleftones

I Only Have Eyes For You by The Flamingos

 

 

*Note Spotify does not have it, but their are playlists with all of the songs. We just lose Wolfman Jack intros :( 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 8
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Eephus said:

I don't know if Bill Bruford was in this version of Crimson but whoever the drummer is, he's killing it.

It was Michael Giles there. Surprisingly didn’t do much after he left them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That Johnny Cash pick was a sign from the universe that I should take this next.

Louavull hometown boy represent!

22.16 - Bonnie "Prince" Billy - I See A Darkness (1999)

Not a record to listen to you if you're down, so by my calculations only @PIK95 can listen today.  But for when we're all feeling better, I'll choose the shortest track on the record (you're welcome) and the most upbeat.  No, really, "A Minor Place" is the upbeat track on the record

Raining in Darling

A Minor Place

bonus track - Johnny Cash's cover of "I See A Darkness"

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rhythmist Listening

21st Century Schizoid - That Michael Giles cat is good.  I remembered the distorted hook but not the middle section with all the crazy drumming.

Zep - Black Dog - Nobody combined power and swing like Bonzo.

Funkadelic - One Nation - I love all the percussion polyrhythms under the clap track.  One of the greatest cowbell songs of all time, if that's indeed a cowbell.

Sigur Ros -Vidrrar or Viorar - Two minutes in and no drums yet.  Need to find a new posting schtick.

 

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, krista4 said:

That Johnny Cash pick was a sign from the universe that I should take this next.

Louavull hometown boy represent!

22.16 - Bonnie "Prince" Billy - I See A Darkness (1999)

Not a record to listen to you if you're down, so by my calculations only @PIK95 can listen today.  But for when we're all feeling better, I'll choose the shortest track on the record (you're welcome) and the most upbeat.  No, really, "A Minor Place" is the upbeat track on the record

Raining in Darling

A Minor Place

bonus track - Johnny Cash's cover of "I See A Darkness"

Will Oldham is super talented. 
 

Pretty good actor too. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

Will Oldham is super talented. 
 

Pretty good actor too. 

Matewan!

And of course more recently Wendy and Lucy...and what else?  I know there are a few well-known ones I'm forgetting.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, krista4 said:

That Johnny Cash pick was a sign from the universe that I should take this next.

Louavull hometown boy represent!

22.16 - Bonnie "Prince" Billy - I See A Darkness (1999)

Not a record to listen to you if you're down, so by my calculations only @PIK95 can listen today.  But for when we're all feeling better, I'll choose the shortest track on the record (you're welcome) and the most upbeat.  No, really, "A Minor Place" is the upbeat track on the record

Raining in Darling

A Minor Place

bonus track - Johnny Cash's cover of "I See A Darkness"

Yep, love it but don't need it anywhere near my island :lol:

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

Love Matewan and Wendy & Lucy. 

Also Junebug and Old Joy. 

Oh yes, forgot about Junebug.  That was great, too.

I love me some Will Oldham.

Right now also loving me some The Walkmen and then Tom Waits.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...