Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program

2 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Round 22 Between the Buttons - The Rolling Stones (1967)

It's the 22 Round, so I am going to double up with my favorite band. This time turning to their pre-psychedelia pop hidden gem.

Connection

She Smiled Sweetly

I was introduced to this record through your countdown.  :heart:  I even thought about taking it.  Glad I didn't so that someone more worthy could have it.  :) 

• Thanks 1

A top 10 of mine and fav by this band, the real beginning of grunge

Round22 pick whatever

Black Sabbath- Black Sabbath(1970)

Behind the Wall of Sleep/Basically/ NIB

Sleeping Village/Warning

Triple checked that this wasn't taken but kinda drunk and have a backup if needed.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Just now, Raging weasel said:

A top 10 of mine and fav by this band, the real beginning of grunge

Round22 pick whatever

Black Sabbath- Black Sabbath(1970)

Behind the Wall of Sleep/Basically/ NIB

Sleeping Village/Warning

Triple checked that this wasn't taken but kinda drunk and have a backup if needed.

Pretty amazing value 

• Like 1

22.18 - Second Edition (Metal Box) - Public Image Ltd. (1979)

The Sex Pistols were a great Punk band but they were basically doing the same thing as a bunch of other bands, just with a better frontman. 

Johnny Rotten/Lydon's next effort upped the stakes with a sound that was as provocative as the singer's posture.  The band with Keith Levene on guitar and Jah Wobble on earthshaking bass fell apart after this album and PiL became Lydon's lifetime art project.  But before they left, the original lineup put out a couple of definitive Post-Punk albums.  

Swan Lake

Careering

• Like 3
  • Love 3

18 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Rhythmist Listening

21st Century Schizoid - That Michael Giles cat is good.  I remembered the distorted hook but not the middle section with all the crazy drumming.

i know none of us need another record to listen to right now, but Giles did an album with fellow Crimsonian (and founding member of Foreigner) Ian MacDonalld with loads of tricky delicate fills.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eephus said:

The Sex Pistols were a great Punk band but they were basically doing the same thing as a bunch of other bands, just with a better frontman. 

Johnny Rotten/Lydon's next effort upped the stakes with a sound that was as provocative as the singer's posture.  The band with Keith Levene on guitar and Jah Wobble on earthshaking bass fell apart after this album and PiL became Lydon's lifetime art project.  But before they left, the original lineup put out a couple of definitive Post-Punk albums.  

Swan Lake

Careering

I spent a long time on all their albums the other day but couldn't find one that encapsulated everything I wanted from them, unless I cheated.  Anyway, love this pick.

3 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I spent a long time on all their albums the other day but couldn't find one that encapsulated everything I wanted from them, unless I cheated.  Anyway, love this pick.

Lydon is the last guy I'd want to be with during a pandemic with all that spitting.

• Laughing 1

6 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Swan Lake

Careering

"we ain't no band, we're a company ...simple, aint nothin' to do with rock and roll ...dew dah."  

part 1 of tom snyder interview

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raging weasel said:

Other than Creep they pretty much bore me to sleep but if I ever get hooked on Qualudes I'll give them another shot 

Ha, Creep is one of their songs I don't like.  I knew I didn't like them as much as others here so wouldn't get any of their best stuff, but I'd be happy to listen to a lot of their albums.

Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One

(1997)

Late to the party on this album by about 15 years or so, but I've made up for it since. I don't have a lot to say about this other than when I heard Sugarcube it stopped me in my tracks, I have a sentimental attachment to the album, and it's one of the best albums from front to back that I can think of. Hard to come down to just 2 songs but I will go with:

Autumn Sweater

Sugarcube

Bonus song because it's awesome:

Stockholm Syndrome

Edited by Buffaloes
  • Like 5
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Round 22 - Greta Van Fleet, From the Fires (2017)

Polarizing group. For me, this was summer 2018. I was at one of those big festivals in mid-May. Drinking beers with my buddies while the day time crews fired through their setlists with us not paying attention. There's a reason they're on the day time. But, these guys. They were something else. I've never seen a day time act grab the crowd by the balls like this group did. It was but steady progress, but a few friends and I eventually got others hooked. Then this album became my wife's jam for summer 2019. Bought us tickets to their show and she was entranced just like I was a year earlier.

So I get these guys rub some the wrong way with the Led Zeppelin cover band stigma they're trying to break free from. But we're in the my jams section of this. And these are my jams.

Safari Song

Highway Tune

The review on Pitchfork was a complete hatchet job. https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/

This was how I first heard of them.

• Laughing 1

2 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Round 22 - Greta Van Fleet, From the Fires (2017)

Polarizing group. For me, this was summer 2018. I was at one of those big festivals in mid-May. Drinking beers with my buddies while the day time crews fired through their setlists with us not paying attention. There's a reason they're on the day time. But, these guys. They were something else. I've never seen a day time act grab the crowd by the balls like this group did. It was but steady progress, but a few friends and I eventually got others hooked. Then this album became my wife's jam for summer 2019. Bought us tickets to their show and she was entranced just like I was a year earlier.

So I get these guys rub some the wrong way with the Led Zeppelin cover band stigma they're trying to break free from. But we're in the my jams section of this. And these are my jams.

Safari Song

Highway Tune

I just listened to those two songs, and do hear some Led Zeppelin in there. Were they a Led Zep cover band originally?

• Laughing 1

5 minutes ago, Abrantes said:
15 minutes ago, northern exposure said:

The review on Pitchfork was a complete hatchet job. https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/

This was how I first heard of them.

I suppose they did better than [blatant spotlighting job]

I knew what this was before I clicked the link.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

Gotta go with something more recent again. This album was my gateway to this group when it came out (I’m not super hip), but I started to really enjoy all of their work the past few years.  Yo Mama selects:

22.22 - The Black Keys - El Camino (2011)

Three really big hits, but a really solid album throughout. Leaving out Lonely Boy here since I took it in another draft. 
Little Black Submarines

Gold on the Ceiling

• Like 8
  • Love 2