What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (2 Viewers)

I do too. I really only hear them when I'm listening to the radio. My favorite songs are probably Soul to Squeeze and Under the Bridge. I saw them back in 1985/86 in a bar at college. I remember them having a rubber chicken on the stage. I had no idea who they were, but they were wild. 
My brother loves to tell the story about his one show seeing the Peppers. By the time they got on stage he was burned out. Because this unknown band Pearl Jam was their opener and another newcomer Smashing Pumpkins sandwiched in between needed their A game to one-up them.

Alright, this is probably like my 3rd or 4th most essential album to have on the island but as always I know there was no threat of anyone taking it. I could switch it up and take something else from them but when I've played this hundreds and hundreds of times, that would be silly. 

I think of them as kind of The Strokes meets Phoenix, with Canadian accents. This album wasn't super well reviewed when it came out, in time people have rightly realized it's so so so good.

23.09 - Tokyo Police Club - Champ (2010)

1.    "Favourite Food"    3:55
2.    "Favourite Colour"    2:38
3.    "Breakneck Speed"    3:44
4.    "Wait Up (Boots of Danger)"    3:08
5.    "Bambi"    2:44
6.    "End of a Spark"    3:37
7.    "Hands Reversed"    3:19
8.    "Gone"    3:04
9.    "Big Difference"    2:57
10.    "Not Sick"    2:56
11.    "Frankenstein"    3:29

Quiet Riot - Metal Health 1983

I was eight when this came out.  I played it much more than my other records.  I really thought they were a great band.  I had no idea that Randy Rhoads had anything to do with the band as a kid.  It's cool that they had this hit record, but sad they didn't take it further.  R.I.P. KD.

Metal Health (Bang Your Head)

Thunderbird

That puts @El Floppo back ITC but has asked for a skip this AM. which would mean @Abrantes .

Again, if people want to give a bit of time to let others make up their picks, go ahead, the short clocks and skips mean we won't have any long momentum killing pauses

My brother loves to tell the story about his one show seeing the Peppers. By the time they got on stage he was burned out. Because this unknown band Pearl Jam was their opener and another newcomer Smashing Pumpkins sandwiched in between needed their A game to one-up them.
That reminds me of a band from Atlanta that were popular in the Southeast in the mid to late 70s and early 80s. They were so good live that acts started second guessing having them open for them, because they were such show stealers. They opened for bands like The Who, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, etc. I don't know why they never made it big. They did in Europe, but no here, although they still tour in small venues and have their following.

• 23.1Karma Police-Primus-Frizzle Fry
  • 23.2Nigel Tufnel-Ween-The Mollusk
  • 23.3zamboni-10 min clock-skip 5/28 AM
  • 23.4Wazoo11-skip for a couple days-
  • 23.5timschochet-permaskip-
  • 23.6wikkidpissah-ITC-
  • 23.7PIK95-Quiet Riot-Metal Health
  • 23.8Uruk-Hai-skip 5/28-
  • 23.9Northern Voice-Tokyo Police Club-Champ
  • 23.10Steve Tasker-daytime skip-
  • 23.11El Floppo-10 minute clock-skip 5/28
  • 23.12Abrantes-ITC-
  • 23.13Long Ball Larry-skip until further notice-
  • 23.14Charlie Steiner-ITC
  • 23.15Chaos Commish-permaskip-
  • 23.16The Dreaded Marco--SOOON
@Charlie Steiner is now ITC

Last edited by a moderator:
 @Doug B owes 11 picks as well. For now, I may leave him those 11 picks and put @Buffaloes in his spot for rounds 21-40
Sorry for bailing on y'all. I've not been able to post picks with the depth and thoughtfulness fitting of the exercise, so I kept kicking the can down the road. The pace of this draft surprised me a lot -- figured with 36-40 people, I'd only have to prepare a pick three or four times a week. Plus when we started, my paying work was in a lull ... shoulda known better than to count on that continuing.

If Buffaloes is willing to finish up my draft slot, I'd be much obliged.

mph are my initials and trilogy are my three daughters, and we all have a love of Maggie Rogers.  Will need to take this one on the Island with me, and this was my favorite release of 2019... side note released on my 27th wedding anniversary, 1-18-2019

rd 23: Maggie Rogers - Heard it in a Past Life - 2019

• Alaska
  • Light On

23.14: The Smithereens - Blow Up (1991)

I will celebrate their entire catalog even if it takes me 40 rounds.

For the playlist:  Now and Then  and If You Want the Sun to Shine.

#1 Fun fact for you: If You Want the Sun to Shine was co-written by Julian Lennon

#2 Fun fact for you: The album cover artwork was done by Saul Bass, whose more famous work includes the artwork for the movie posters for 3 Alfred Hitchcock movies--Vertigo, North By Northwest and Psycho, as well as West Side Story.

Last edited by a moderator:
23.35 Punch the Clock, Elvis Costello

Declan for grownups, changing bitterness for wisdom, but not overripe yet. Had to have some of rock's greatest songwriter. Waited too long on Trust, but i'll take Allman Bros & this over what i otherwise woulda got

Love Went Mad

Shipbuilding
Bought this one in the College bookstore, an all time fave...

also, you are still due a 22nd rd pick I believe

I'll be back @ 1pm est ish...

• 22.35wikkidpissah-ITC-
  • 22.36timschochet-permaskip-
  • 22.37wazoo11-skip for a couple days-
  • 22.38zamboni-10 min clock-skip 5/28 AM
  • 22.39Nigel Tufnel-T. Rex-The Slider
  • 22.40Karma Police-Red Hot Chili Peppers-BloodSugarSexMagik
  • 23.0--
  • 23.1Karma Police-Primus-Frizzle Fry
  • 23.2Nigel Tufnel-Ween-The Mollusk
  • 23.3zamboni-10 min clock-skip 5/28 AM
  • 23.4Wazoo11-skip for a couple days-
  • 23.5timschochet-permaskip-
  • 23.6wikkidpissah-Elvis Costello-Punch the Clock
  • 23.7PIK95-Quiet Riot-Metal Health
  • 23.8Uruk-Hai-skip 5/28-
  • 23.9Northern Voice-Tokyo Police Club-Champ
  • 23.10Steve Tasker-daytime skip-
  • 23.11El Floppo-10 minute clock-skip 5/28
  • 23.12Abrantes-skip 5/28 will pick in an hour-
  • 23.13Long Ball Larry-skip until further notice-
  • 23.14Charlie Steiner-The Smithereens-Blow Up
  • 23.15Chaos Commish-permaskip-
  • 23.16The Dreaded Marco-skip 5/28 for the day-
  • 23.17shuke-skip-
  • 23.18mphtrilogy-Maggie Rogers-Heard it in a Past Life
  • 23.19Yo Mama-ITC-
  • 23.20Buffaloes-Skip...5/28 meetings this am-
  • 23.21Binky the Doormat-ITC-
  • 23.22otb lifer-- SOON
  • 23.23Eephus-- SOON
  • 23.24Raging weasel--SOON

Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One

(1997)

Late to the party on this album by about 15 years or so, but I've made up for it since. I don't have a lot to say about this other than when I heard Sugarcube it stopped me in my tracks, I have a sentimental attachment to the album, and it's one of the best albums from front to back that I can think of. Hard to come down to just 2 songs but I will go with:

Autumn Sweater

Sugarcube

Bonus song because it's awesome:

Stockholm Syndrome
was thinking about this.  wasn't sure i needed the whole album, but Autumn Sweater is amazing and I might have gotten there.

Still on Skip.

ROUND 20 - BECK - MUTATIONS

Nobody's Fault but My Own

Lazy Flies

I really love Beck as an artist and maybe because I was so obsessed with him, I haven't been following him as much over the past decade or so.  In part that was because I wore this album out and now I remember why.  Pound for pound, this might be his best, not a bad song in the bunch.  The songs have a lot less noise than a lot of his other stuff, but the melodies and layering are so well produced and deceptively simple, they just make for great tunes to have in the background or to listen to closely.  Fantastic album.

Users who are viewing this thread