Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program

2 hours ago, Yo Mama said:

Screw you guys (at least some of you), I’m taking Rush and this is one of my favorites. Yo Mama selects:

23.19 - Rush - Permanent Waves (1980)

1 - The Spirit of Radio

2 - Freewill

3 - Jacob’sLadder

4 - Entre Nous

5 - Different Strings

6 - Natural Science

For my songs, I’m going with:

Freewill

Natural Science

great album :wub:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

yeah, surprised it lasted as long as it did, especially after i popped their cherry with "Cool for Cats" last week. 

Cool for Cats would have been in my Top 10 New Wave songs, or at least would have replaced "Do They Know it is Christmas?" :lmao:

• Laughing 1

23.12 The Avalanches, Since I Left You (2000)

Frontier Psychiatrist
Electricity

Okay, I'm back on my bull####.

Drafted this or songs from it in so many drafts (think it's on the summer mix KP mentioned before, and I remember him mentioning he associates them with me :suds:), and I gotta have it on my desert island. :lmao: Like ...Endtroducing, it's a labor of love based on heavy, heavy use of samples (over 3,500 of them, by group member Robbie Chater's count), and there's nothing quite like it. Massive good vibes record, perfect island pick. Can't believe it's been 20 years.

"Frontier Psychiatrist" is still one of the best music videos ever (my first-rounder in the music video draft here a few years back, if I remember), and though I'm switching it up with the "Electricity" pick for the playlist, the Since I Left You video ain't far behind. I do hope y'all check them out.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

who is sorting the spreadsheet?  I can't tell how to reset it

might have had a crossing of the streams there.. let me hand it over to you I need to step away...  should be all clean now

39 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I see 3 of the probably top 10-15 American musical artists of the 20th century are still available. Might be time to make my move on one or two of them.

Don't even think about sniping me on Boxcar Willie.

Edited by zamboni
  • Laughing 1

getting a bit hard to follow but we'll sort it out

23.24Raging weasel-John Lennon

23.25Krista 4-skip indefinitely

23.26landrys hat- ITC

23.27JZilla-Cherry Glazerr -

23.28Mrs Rannous-15 minute clock - ITC

23.29Mr Ected- ITC

23.30rcam-Various Artists

23.31Hov34-10 minute clock

23.32Ilov80s- GOING ITC IN MINUTES

23.33Dr Octopus- GOING ITC IN MINUTES

23.34MAC 32-please gimme the @ and skip treatment today.

23.35RedmondLonghorn-

23.36Bonzai-full day today 5/28. Skip me and I'll catch up later.

23.37rockaction-permaskip

23.38Mister CIA-permaskip

23.39simey-

23.40cosjobs-skip

24.0-

24.1cosjobs-skip

24.2simey-

24.3rockaction-skip 5/27

24.4Mister CIApermaskip

24.5Bonzai-full day today 5/28. Skip me and I'll catch up later.

24.6RedmondLonghorn-

24.7MAC 32-please gimme the @ and skip treatment today.

24.8Dr Octopus-

24.9Ilov80s-

24.10Hov34-10 min clock

24.11rcam-

Wanted to get something from the "Keyboard Era"

22 - Rush - Signals (1982)

1. Subdivisions
2. The Analog Kid

Didn't pick one of my favorite Rush songs is on this album and is appropriate for this weekend, still get chills at just about the same spot every time I listen to (beginning where the helicopter goes from one ear to another). Great to listen to with a pair of earphones.  

Countdown

• Like 3
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

getting a bit hard to follow but we'll sort it out

23.24Raging weasel-John Lennon

23.25Krista 4-skip indefinitely

23.26landrys hat- ITC

23.27JZilla-Cherry Glazerr -

23.28Mrs Rannous-15 minute clock - ITC

23.29Mr Ected- ITC

23.30rcam-Various Artists

23.31Hov34-10 minute clock

23.32Ilov80s- GOING ITC IN MINUTES

23.33Dr Octopus- GOING ITC IN MINUTES

23.34MAC 32-please gimme the @ and skip treatment today.

23.35RedmondLonghorn-

23.36Bonzai-full day today 5/28. Skip me and I'll catch up later.

23.37rockaction-permaskip

23.38Mister CIA-permaskip

23.39simey-

23.40cosjobs-skip

24.0-

24.1cosjobs-skip

24.2simey-

24.3rockaction-skip 5/27

24.4Mister CIApermaskip

24.5Bonzai-full day today 5/28. Skip me and I'll catch up later.

24.6RedmondLonghorn-

24.7MAC 32-please gimme the @ and skip treatment today.

24.8Dr Octopus-

24.9Ilov80s-

24.10Hov34-10 min clock

24.11rcam-

See you tomorrow I guess.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Ected said:

Wanted to get something from the "Keyboard Era"

22 - Rush - Signals (1982)

1. Subdivisions
2. The Analog Kid

Didn't pick one of my favorite Rush songs is on this album and is appropriate for this weekend, still get chills at just about the same spot every time I listen to (beginning where the helicopter goes from one ear to another). Great to listen to with a pair of earphones.  

Countdown

Reaction

Anyone up for a big game of Dungeons & Dragons?

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 3

Just now, Northern Voice said:

I think I need "single groove" explained to me. For me I would think it would best describe someone like Led Zeppelin ("the song remains the same" etc...) but I'm guessing that's not the case.

I have no clue what you are talking about.  

1 minute ago, PIK95 said:
7 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

I think I need "single groove" explained to me. For me I would think it would best describe someone like Led Zeppelin ("the song remains the same" etc...) but I'm guessing that's not the case.

I have no clue what you are talking about.  

@wikkidpissah calls every post 1990 song he listens to in the shuffle "single groove". I think a lot of them are way more complex than the "classics", so I guess it's not about that, so I don't know what he means. 

Edited by Northern Voice
  • Like 1

Round 23 Sister Sweetly - Big Head Todd and The Monsters (1993)

I fell in love with this record the first time I listened to it. It sounded "old" to me even back in 1993 and at the time that was a huge compliment. I'm not a huge fan of the rest of their catalog but there's some good stuff in there, albeit they never came close to matching this great work.

It's Alright

Bittersweet

Edited by Dr. Octopus
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

@wikkidpissah calls every post 1990 song he listens to in the shuffle "single groove". I think a lot of them are way more complex than the "classics", so I guess it's not about that, so I don't know what he means. 

Disco Biscuits have about eleven grooves going per song fwiw.

Just now, PIK95 said:
15 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Disco Biscuits have about eleven grooves going per song fwiw.

I tried last night. The middle section of whatever I listened to was about 5 straight minutes of Rush-esque guitar wankery. Not my thing.

• Laughing 1

the production is complex, the writing is not. production is about 6million times easier than composition. in my day, all those musicians who couldnt write played Legion halls on Saturday nites. now they are critical darlings. as someone who didnt find i could write til late in life, i am duty bound to resent those lucky folk in a democratized process on behalf of all those splendiferous axeters & wailers. i am not going to waste effort trying to explain it without tools to generations which prove to me more each day i spend on this board that they can quantify everything and qualify nothing.

16 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

I bought some mulch at my last stop this afternoon but it looks like the afternoon mulch session may be called off on account of rain :sadbanana:

Ima mow some lawn now.  Text me when I'm close to being up.  Thanks

1 minute ago, wikkidpissah said:

the production is complex, the writing is not. production is about 6million times easier than composition. in my day, all those musicians who couldnt write played Legion halls on Saturday nites. now they are critical darlings. as someone who didnt find i could write til late in life, i am duty bound to resent those lucky folk in a democratized process on behalf of all those splendiferous axeters & wailers. i am not going to waste effort trying to explain it without tools to generations which prove to me more each day i spend on this board that they can quantify everything and qualify nothing.

true. those complex three chord blues numbers are impossible for current bands to approach these days.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

I tried last night. The middle section of whatever I listened to was about 5 straight minutes of Rush-esque guitar wankery. Not my thing.

Sorry if you don't.

The coolest part about them is the transitions imo.  Nobody likes "guitar wankery" I expect, lol.

Thanks for trying.  I bet everyone would like the Hot Air Balloon rock opera performed on 12/31/18.  The video is on YouTube so I'll throw it out tonight when things slow down in here.  Holly B and Tom Hamilton made cameos.  If you don't like that (it's straight Rock and Roll often enough), then I will leave everyone alone.

Edited by PIK95
  • Thanks 1

Just now, wikkidpissah said:

So can't write = can't write hits? Because in those old days, the cream rose to the top and didn't have to play legion halls, right? 

No one can write these days? Are Nickelback are not single groove because they write big fat guitar hits like the old dudes did?

4 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

I remember when we broke up, the first time
Saying, "This is it, I've had enough"
'Cause like we hadn't seen each other in a month
When you, said you, needed space (what?)
Then you come around again and say
"Baby, I miss you and I swear I'm gonna change, trust me"
Remember how that lasted for a day?
I say, I hate you, we break up, you call me, I love you

Ooh, oh-oh, oh-oh
We called it off again last night
But ooh, oh-oh, oh-oh
This time I'm telling you, I'm telling you

We are never ever, ever getting back together
We are never ever, ever getting back together
You go talk to your friends, talk to my friends, talk to me
But we are never ever, ever, ever getting back together